ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 10th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Installed Autoswitch (opens garage door)

I just installed the Autoswitch AS5PG2. It is basically a fancy relay that activates a garage door opener. It retails for ~$30
http://www.autoswitch.com/2006/model...g2_index.shtml
I got mine from the manufacturer's ebay store for a buck or two cheaper, with FREE 2-day shipping! So far I am very happy with it.

To operate: flash high-beams twice within 1.5 seconds (or brake, if you choose to wire it that way).

There is an LED on the dash that gives you the status reading.
~2 sec. solid RED = bike is powered up.
Flashing RED/GREEN = indicates the 1.5 sec. window once you trigger it with the first flash.
Solid GREEN = garage door opener is receiving/sending signal.
The LED does NOT stay lit while riding around (that would be annoying).

It is pretty straight forward to install (sorry I didn't get pictures during the install). The most difficult part for most people will probably be connecting your garage door opener to the AS5PG2. You need to open up your garage door opener, and find the switch on the circuit board. You don't have to know much about electronics to figure that out. You then have to CAREFULLY solder 2 leads from the AS5PG2 onto the switch contacts. Then find a way to run the wires out of the opener's case when it is put back together (you will probably have to either drill a small hold in the case, or cut a small slot for the wires). Connect the RED wire to switched power on your bike. Connect the BLACK wire to ground. Connect the red-YELLOW wire to the high-beam (this is your trigger wire). Place the indicator LED in the location of your choice (it has a pretty long lead). Zip-tie the wires up neatly, and Velcro or tape the AS5PG2 and Garage Door Opener in a location of your choosing. I recommend a secure location where it won't get wet, seen, or at risk of falling out/off your bike.

Here are some pics of my Autoswitch installed:

I secured the units with Velcro. If the Velcro ever failed, the units would fall into a pocket between the side fairing and radiator cowling.... however, the wires are tied up close enough that it probably would likely only hang 1/2-way in between. In this location, only the side fairing needs to be removed to replace the battery in the garage door opener.

Put LED anywhere you please.

The back side of this page has the official written instructions.

Now you don't have to ride one-handed, while digging in your pocket for your garage door opener (or even remember to bring it)!

Last futzed with by headshrink; December 10th, 2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling & added detail
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Very cool device. I have to get off my bike and use the key pad by the door. This would so much better not to have to get off the bike.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #3
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Very cool device. I have to get off my bike and use the key pad by the door. This would so much better not to have to get off the bike.
I recommend it. Shoot, I recommend it in your car too, if you keep it in the driveway (as a security measure).

Old December 10th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nice work!

I'm lazy, and have one of these on each of the bike keychains...

21nOBD1FplL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(link on amazon)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #5
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Nice work!

I'm lazy, and have one of these on each of the bike keychains...

Attachment 10204

(link on amazon)
I probably would have bought one of those a long time ago, but I didn't know they made one for my brand of opener. I had thought about clipping it to my jacket, but HD & Lowes didn't carry the right brand.

Edit: Correction - apparently LiftMaster is made by Chamberlain (which HD sells).

Last futzed with by headshrink; December 11th, 2010 at 01:01 AM.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Right now, I plan to just velcrow it on on the dashboard/right under the windshield.

I COULD get a smaller LiftMaster transmitter or whatever like the other guy, but I think it would be easier to get Autoswitch. This way, I won't "forget" to bring it and don't need to pull it out.

Just not too sure yet on the "under the windshield" deal. I might put a RAM mount around there.

Quick question, if I get Autoswitch, would I still be able to install a Gorilla Cycle Alarm? The alarm connects directly to the battery. And how about if I decide to add a "car cigarette charger" too, could I also install that?

I'm not sure how the Ninja 250r's battery looks like or how wiring even works o.O
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:33 PM   #7
headshrink

I wouldn't put any garage door stuff under your windsheild. Other than looks, I see it as a security risk. Even if you plan to use velcrow and take it off when you leave the bike, you COULD forget. If you don't want to wire the opener into the bike, I say keep it on your person (in pocket, etc). Otherwise, I highly suggest tucking it away, out of view.

Although not an authority on your other questions, I see no problem with it.....

Ride report: Although my bike has been out of commisions twice, for 2 weeks at a time since installing (unrelated issues), I am REALLY likeing the autoswitch, and wish I would have gotten it 3 years ago!

Old January 22nd, 2011, 10:52 PM   #8
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Right now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get it shipped to Canada without paying TOO much shipping. I could send it to a PO Box and pick it up (it's fine, at least I get to ride haha).

Hmm.. I'm pretty comfortable leaving it under the windshield. I doubt I would forget. But anyways, do you think I could still hook up other things to my battery even if I have Autoswitch installed. I have yet to look. I don't even know where the battery is.....
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2011, 10:57 PM   #9
headshrink

I think so.