ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 7th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #1
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Preparing for a trip. Needing some advice.

Ok so I'm making some vacation plans to head up to the TN mountains near Gatlinburg, TN. In preparation I have rebuilt a trailer I purchased from Harbor Freight a couple years back. All new lighting, new decking, 2 new wheel stops, new D-rings for tie downs, and all new paint.

Question #1: Where is the safest place to tie down the 250's. I usually use some soft straps and tie down straps on or near the triple and handle bars and again on or near the passenger pegs. The suspension on the 250 is a little softer than I'm used to on my 1000RR and after adding the straps, it seems to pull the bike down more than I would like. Is there a better way? If not, will this damage the suspension?

Question #2: Since I'm putting 2 bikes on a trailer that is only 4' wide, the front and rear tires need to be closer to the outside of the trailer to avoid hitting the bar ends from each bike together. This is not an issue until it comes time to tie them down. My concern is the outside straps have little to no angular pull. These straps are almost pulling straight down. I know the more angular pull, the better the stability. Is there a concern here?

Question #3: The elevation here in Jax, Florida is pretty much Sea Level. The intent is ride the Blue Ridge Parkway with my wife on the 2 bikes. What effect can I expect going from sea level to over 6,000 feet in elevation? I know the jetting will be affected but will the bikes be ok?

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #2
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

This is how I trailer my bikes:

AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #3
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Ok so I'm making some vacation plans to head up to the TN mountains near Gatlinburg, TN. In preparation I have rebuilt a trailer I purchased from Harbor Freight a couple years back. All new lighting, new decking, 2 new wheel stops, new D-rings for tie downs, and all new paint.

Question #1: Where is the safest place to tie down the 250's. I usually use some soft straps and tie down straps on or near the triple and handle bars and again on or near the passenger pegs. The suspension on the 250 is a little softer than I'm used to on my 1000RR and after adding the straps, it seems to pull the bike down more than I would like. Is there a better way? If not, will this damage the suspension?

Question #2: Since I'm putting 2 bikes on a trailer that is only 4' wide, the front and rear tires need to be closer to the outside of the trailer to avoid hitting the bar ends from each bike together. This is not an issue until it comes time to tie them down. My concern is the outside straps have little to no angular pull. These straps are almost pulling straight down. I know the more angular pull, the better the stability. Is there a concern here?

Question #3: The elevation here in Jax, Florida is pretty much Sea Level. The intent is ride the Blue Ridge Parkway with my wife on the 2 bikes. What effect can I expect going from sea level to over 6,000 feet in elevation? I know the jetting will be affected but will the bikes be ok?
If you search the posts for trailers, you'll find lots of advice on tying them down... I use something similar to the canyon dancers and that's the only tie we use for mine. It works great.
As for elevation, I don't know what mine would do at sea level, but at the parkway elevations (and we don't get close to 6000 feet to the best of my knowledge... at least not the VA part of it!) I was ok stock, but it was a bit lean for my liking, so I have 2 washers on the needles which keeps her much happier.

Old June 7th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #4
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

This thread should help - my bike is in # 16
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13986&