ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old January 17th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quiet Rider - reduces wind noise

I found these "Quiet Riders" in a magazine and figured I'd post them up on here. They seem like they would work for all those people who complain of loud wind noise. They have different versions, basic, standard, deluxe, and cold weather.

Here's a few pics if your too lazy to click the link:
<Basic<Standard<Deluxe<Cold Weather

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old January 17th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #2
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Good find
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Do You Use Earplugs When You Ride?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Very good idea.
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #5
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

I think those things would just hold the heat in the summer. Good for when its cool out though.

I hate loud bikes and cars. I put a louder pipe on my ninja but regretted it other than i could actually hear my bike over the road noise. My cbr has a stock pipe and its quiet.

Old January 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #6
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I find that even with earplugs, wind noise is louder than the engine or the exhaust. It's kind of ridiculous how loud it is. I currently use green foam earplugs from CVS rated at -32db but i'm skeptical and thinking about looking for even more noise isolation.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

The deluxe and cold-weather models would probably effective as hell. Ever since I switched over to my Suomy Vandal (which lacks a chin skirt) I've noticed that a hell of a lot of noise comes through the opening beneath my chin. I've experimented by blocking it with my hand and the difference is ridiculous.

Thanks for the link. I may get one of these.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #8
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I can get behind something like this.
My hearing loss is +20 % in both ears....the wind on long rides...or maybe i just been married too long ?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #9
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Seems like it may not work for all helmets. The WebBikeWorld Review said "We do not notice an immediate decrease in noise levels with the Quiet Rider installed," but noted it might work for different helmets or other situations. They gave a much better review to the Windjammer, which looks really similar, but tested as actually reducing noise levels. If you want this type of device instead of earplugs, you may want to take a look at the Windjammer instead of the Quiet Rider.

Earplugs might be a better option, and WebBikeWorld has a fantastic reference page on earplugs that, with Alex's linked thread earlier, could be the right answer.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #10
Live2ride

It seems to me that the windjammer looks a lot cheaper than the quiet rider, but I haven't tried either one so I couldn't tell you which works better. It seems to me like they would both work to some extent. As far as these go for me, I would only get one for cold weather riding, not noise reduction. I just pop in my headphones on a low volume and go on my merry way. I hear a lot of people complain about a loud whistling noise from wind rushing in the helmet around the neck, either one of these seem like they would fix that. Even with (in-ear) headphones in I could hear some whistling in my helmet, I just figured I'd post this as an option mostly to people who ride in cold weather.

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #11
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
For cold weather, they look great. Back when I had winters, keeping my neck out of the wind was the best thing I could do to stay warm, and that winter version would be pretty convenient.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #12
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
For cold weather, they look great. Back when I had winters, keeping my neck out of the wind was the best thing I could do to stay warm, and that winter version would be pretty convenient.
Yea, I might get one for next year. Besides, we already have enough redneck's around here

Old January 17th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #13
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

The windjammer looks like one of those magic boxes where you stick your hand in there and get bit by a snake. I can barely get my head into the helmet as it is. I wonder if it would make it any more/less difficult. Does look like it'll work well to seal the wind/noise from entering the helmet though. Might just have to give it a try.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #14
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

FWIW...a pair of those $20 rocketfish noise-cancelling ear phones from Best Buy do a pretty good job of silencing most noises. Especially when you crank up the Lady Gaga.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #15
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

I think the wind noise maybe your shield / type of helmet. I had a cheaper fulmer that had interchangable screens. When I put the clear or smoked shield on that thing would whistle like crazy. I put a mirrored shield on and nothing... quiet as could be.

I now own a shoei and there's zero whistle. For the chin noise I position my head up or down and that reduces / increases the noise.

Old February 9th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #16
Animal78
ninjette.org member

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250(sold) 2000 Ninja 250 (sold) 2012 Ninja 250r 2020 Harley Sportster (rarely ridden)

Yeah I was going to say. Helmets make noise on their own. A good helmet will be quiet. The helmet I have currently is noisy. But it has lots of vents to keep me cool and the noise all but stops if I close them.
Animal78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #17
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

A good friend of mine owns either the Winter (or maybe the Deluxe.. Now I don't remember what the back looks like). I spoke to him this past week, and he says it doesn't do much for noise, but he swears by it to keep his neck warm. He has a Shoei and rides a Honda Shadow. Granted, I never asked if he was talking about wind or exhaust.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #18
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

When I had the Ninja, I wore earplugs even though my Nolan helmet was relatively quiet. On the Honda, the windshield is adjustable and I can adjust it so that there is no noise or wind. I think that in the summer I will want some wind. I always have ear plugs in my tank bag when I need them.

Old January 15th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #19
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Necro thread BUMP!

I stumbled upon these somehow and figured why not? I just received the Cold Weather version from the direct website since it seems every distributor is out of stock on these. I could care less about the "noise reduction" aspect of these as I wear earplugs, but I am highly interested in cutting out the wind that freezes my neck and face in cold weather.

The fabric was definitely thinner than I expected. Thought it would be a heavy material but its very flexible nylon type stuff. Inside is a softer material. The edge is stiff but its also flexible as its the "hook and loop" (aka Velcro) stuff.

Getting it on was a PITA but I took webBikeWorld's advice and lined it up and started at the back rather than the chin as instructed. I have a SparX Tracker helmet that has a rubber lip around the bottom that i had to push aside and partially pull out to get the stiff edge shoved down between the foam and the shell. I have not installed the other half of the Velcro and may do that later.

Once installed, the Quiet Rider forms a nice curtain around the entire helmet. The front is a separate panel that velcros down to the front edges of the sides. There is a little zipper that opens through to the interior of the helmet to help with airflow (I intend to use it as a port for the CamelBack hose). The stiff edge only covers two thirds of the curtain, leaving the back to be velcro'd together with two flaps that go up into the helmet to seal off the back and two flaps that hang down to tuck into the collar of your jacket.

Until i get a bit more practice with this, the procedure seems to be put the helmet on first, smooth out the front and back flaps, and then put on the outer jacket to hold them down. I may be able to figure out how to completely tuck the flaps in after my jacket is on but needs work.

A short thirty minute ride tonight with temperatures in the low 30's was my initial test run. On one hand, the amount of wind was cut significantly and rather than a Arctic blast hitting my face, there was just a thin leak of air coming in from somewhere. But there was that small leak. I am not sure yet of the source, could be I did not close the front panel fully, the zipper isn't windproof, or the fabric itself isn't windproof. So not dinging it yet as I have many other tests to run.

Ignoring the slight chill against my chin, the space inside my helmet was still enough that my visor was continuously fogging up. I was able to open the zippered slot with my glove but cracking the visor was a quicker solution. A test phone call to see if the other end could hear anything and they said no, no noise other than me talking. However, that was the case when I had a balaclava so not sure if that is relevant or not.

Few more rides to work out the minor air leak but for right now it seems to work well.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 16th, 2014, 02:30 AM   #20
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I read the review on webbikeworld a while back and decided not to get it. Did you try looking on Ebay for it? Anyways, I decided not to get it since I felt that it would be marginally better than my neck gaiter/bandana setup.

Did you have all the vents closed on your helmet?

Old January 16th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #21
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
The main reason I wanted to try this was with the balaclava, I was unable to use my drink hose or eat snacks while on the bike. Since I am bad about doing both anyway, I would find myself riding all day and not eating or drinking. I tried cutting a hole around the area in front of my mouth but that just left a hole for cold air to blast into.

I've ridden vents closed and open and have yet to see a difference either way. I'll frequently try switching them if my visor fogs up but nothing seems to change. :shrug:

Old January 16th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #22
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Necro thread BUMP!

I stumbled upon these somehow and figured why not? I just received the Cold Weather version from the direct website since it seems every distributor is out of stock on these. I could care less about the "noise reduction" aspect of these as I wear earplugs, but I am highly interested in cutting out the wind that freezes my neck and face in cold weather.
Thanks for the great review!!
I will be buying one of the non cold weather ones (I have an awesome balaclava already).
I want this simply for the noise reduction as earplugs do not help against wind noise in mic's when Vlogging or talking/hearing phone when using Bluetooth.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 08:20 AM   #23
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

The only remedy I can think of is maybe a sport touring windscreen. Great for the Winters but sucked during the summers.

Have you tried putting tape over the zipper and see if that's it?

Old January 16th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #24
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Not yet, that'll be a further test. Just need to work out a way to have the tape cover the zipper that doesn't prevent me from opening it up periodically. I was hoping it'd be like the weather resistant zippers i have on my backpacks. I had looked at touring screens and opted against it for now, that may be a purchase later on.

@EsrTek, you are welcome. Hopefully it will cut the noise for you enough that you can be heard clearly.

Old January 16th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #25
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Not yet, that'll be a further test. Just need to work out a way to have the tape cover the zipper that doesn't prevent me from opening it up periodically. I was hoping it'd be like the weather resistant zippers i have on my backpacks. I had looked at touring screens and opted against it for now, that may be a purchase later on.
perhaps sew a flap over the zipper?

I still need to glue my ST windscreen back together. They don't hold well when your bike tips over.

Old January 16th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #26
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
...........Few more rides to work out the minor air leak but for right now it seems to work well.
I like your review, Teri.

Have you tired any product against fog?
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...r_face_shield/
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #27
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Thank you.

I have the Cat Crap wax at home and was going to test it tonight.

One idea i have to try solving the leak is there is an unsealed gap left at the top of the front flap. I am hoping i can shove the helmet's own wind stopper thing back in on top of the quiet rider and block wind from going there. Maybe.... Or sew on a flap over the zipper.