ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:56 AM   #1
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

Name: aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 honda shadow phantom

moly-lithium grease

my bikes been getn some noise from the front and i think it may be the speedo cable. i was gunna lube it and was wondering if moly-lithium would be ok for that. ive read online to use moly, is there a diff between moly and moly-lithium? if so would it still ok to use moly-lithium on the speedo cable? thx guys
akcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:05 AM   #2
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

apologizing before hand in case this is a stupid question

Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcalhoun View Post
my bikes been getn some noise from the front and i think it may be the speedo cable. i was gunna lube it and was wondering if moly-lithium would be ok for that. ive read online to use moly, is there a diff between moly and moly-lithium? if so would it still ok to use moly-lithium on the speedo cable? thx guys
Hi Aaron,

Your question isn't stupid at all.

Either grease is very good for your speedo cable, but moly-lithium will better resist water wash out.

"Molybdenum disulfide is often a component of blends and composites where low friction is sought. A variety of oils and greases are used, because they retain their lubricity even in cases of almost complete oil loss, thus finding a use in critical applications such as aircraft engines."

"Most lubricating greases are mixtures of an oil and a soap. The soaps are dispersed into and viscosify oils to form the stable gels that are called greases. Grease made with lithium soap ("lithium grease") adheres particularly well to metal, is non-corrosive, may be used under heavy loads, and exhibits good temperature tolerance. It has a drip temperature of 190° to 220°C (350° to 400°F) and it resists moisture, so it is commonly used as lubricant in household products, such as electric garage doors, as well as in automotive applications, such as CV joints. Lithium-containing greases first appeared during World War II, and were perhaps the first large-scale commercial application of lithium compounds."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_soap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:50 AM   #4
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

thx so much for the information

Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Very welcome

Be frugal with the amount of grease; it tends to leak down at the bottom of the cable if too much.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #6
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

thx again motofool i lube speedo yesterday (was frugal with the lube as u suggested) and the chirping is gone! it was way easier than i thought it would be to do it too