ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #681
MrBrownTX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brown

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja EX250

Forgot to post then but Sunday I sold it. Some body with actual mechanical ability got a good $1000 deal.
MrBrownTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #682
bonbon76
ninjette.org member

Name: Bonnie

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

.. not today, but put my frame sliders on her and gave her a good wash this past Sunday

Old June 7th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #683
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Installed my 15t front sprocket after going out and buying the right socket sizes . I've only ridden with it for 10 minutes but it felt great .

Old June 7th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #684
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
Installed my 15t front sprocket after going out and buying the right socket sizes . I've only ridden with it for 10 minutes but it felt great .
I'm considering doing the same and let me know how you like it. I do a lot of highway commuting and traveling.

Old June 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #685
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Just ran around town and school. Thinking of going out to a nice clean parking lot to fine tune my up/down shifting.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #686
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
I'm considering doing the same and let me know how you like it. I do a lot of highway commuting and traveling.
Check out my posts in this thread. I posted my thoughts there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion007 View Post
Just ran around town and school. Thinking of going out to a nice clean parking lot to fine tune my up/down shifting.
That's great! Parking lots are the best place to learn shifting; just remember to practice with the friction zone of the clutch. It will help you immensely. Good luck!

Old June 8th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #687
seldom
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Blue Ninja 250R

I washed it down today and I'll be ordering new pads to give it a great braking power again.
Is it normal to hear a whistling sound or some sort coming from the front end. I don't know where it's coming from but I reckon it's coming from the front and only coming on between 45 to 20miles and stops even when I'm not braking. The front pads still have around 1mm meat left on them and around 3-4mm left on the rear.

Where can I buy EBC HH or metalgear brake pads for the fronts cheap and I want them sent to Australia at the cheapest price? I'm sick of the bike shops in my town charging 70bucks for a pair of kelvalar EBC pads. lol remember US and Aussie dollars are par atm.
seldom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #688
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldom View Post
I washed it down today and I'll be ordering new pads to give it a great braking power again.
Is it normal to hear a whistling sound or some sort coming from the front end. I don't know where it's coming from but I reckon it's coming from the front and only coming on between 45 to 20miles and stops even when I'm not braking. The front pads still have around 1mm meat left on them and around 3-4mm left on the rear.

Where can I buy EBC HH or metalgear brake pads for the fronts cheap and I want them sent to Australia at the cheapest price? I'm sick of the bike shops in my town charging 70bucks for a pair of kelvalar EBC pads. lol remember US and Aussie dollars are par atm.
This is probably the gas tank whistling, this is normal for our 250's. To stop the whistling you can open up the gas tank to release the pressure; though that is not a permanent fix. I like to think she's purring at me..."Meow" - The Black Mamba.

Old June 8th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #689
rodeo
ninjette.org newbie

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Installed a zero gravity double bubble with light smoke. Looks and feels great!
Couldn't even tell that it's a factory 2nd... 'cept that it was only 49.99!
rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #690
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Levers and Hugger.

Hugger has been installed for about 2 weeks now.
Levers where tonight, although the red adjusters are not as close as a match as I would have liked.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #691
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Installed my A&L rear set adjusters tonight. First impression is meh. I thought the shifter linkage would be one piece and not three. There is also some flex to these things I notice when ajdusting the shifter. I am weary of standing on the pegs to stetch my legs.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #692
bonbon76
ninjette.org member

Name: Bonnie

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Levers and Hugger.

Hugger has been installed for about 2 weeks now.
Levers where tonight, although the red adjusters are not as close as a match as I would have liked.

do you notice a big difference with the new levers??

Old June 9th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #693
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Not really a big difference.

I feel a subtle difference in weight, they just feel lighter when I grab them.

Adjusting the clutch lever is great. 6 positions to move the friction zone around on the lever action. You can set it far out, or closer in. Wish I had that on MSF day....

I also had to slide my hand down just about 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the grip to allow for the first large bend in the lever and my pointer finger. Pointer finger would ride up the bend in the lever. Messed with my 2 finger braking. This is my first set of adjustable levers, hopefully I can adjust them to get my hand grip placement back.

WARNING! Be careful with those lever bolts. They have very soft threads and you don't want one ending up like this when you try to put it back together. Ask me how I know.

[Edit]
I mainly did this mod for moving the friction zone closer on the clutch and looks.

Old June 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #694
kkim

Chris,

That looks like it's from over tightening the lock nut on the bottom of the bolt. Don't do that. Just snug it into place after you thread the bolt through the lever.

In fact, don't even tighten the pivot bolt much either. a bit more than snug is fine. The lock nut prevents the pivot bolt from working itself back out.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #695
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

That is what it looks like, but here is what really happened.

1. Removed clutch lever bolt
2. Removed stock lever
3. Installed new lever
4. Reinstalled bolt

Noticed that it didn't go all the way through to be seen on the underside, so turned with socket it until seen on the underside and that is when I noticed the damage. The lock nut wouldn't even thread on.

So went on the hunt for another lever bolt. Had to drive and hour each way to get one at the dealer. (They had some extra. $2 for a single bolt ugggg....)

5. Try to install new bolt

New bolt didn't go through all the way either, after fiddling with the bolt, I finally got it aligned and was able to thread the lock nut on the bottom. After a gentle snugging all is well. Those bolts have very soft threading or I had it very miss-aligned. Either way FAIL on my part.

Old June 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #696
kkim

okay... be very careful as the clutch perch is threaded on the bottom side (where the bolt threads through the perch). I suspect the threads on the perch are cross threaded at this point.

The bolts are soft cause they hardly carry any load other than the clutch lever pivoting on the smooth part of that bolt.

As long as you've got everything back together for now, leave it as is. Next time you need to take the pivot bolt out, be mindful that you may have some trouble with the threading again. If you can clean out the threads on the bottom side of the perch with a tap, that would be the solution, but don't even address that until that pivot bolt needs to come back out (if ever).

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #697
MiniCog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nathaniel

Motorcycle(s): Past: 2007 250 Ninja 2005 XR650R 2003 KLX400R

Taking defensive driving so my insurance doesn't sky rocket... :/

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #698
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Checked my air filter just now. It looks pretty dirty just after 2700 miles all stock with snorkel. Curious how much dirtier it'll be when I desnorkel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0517.jpg (138.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0518.jpg (66.5 KB, 3 views)

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #699
kevheads
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Green 250R

Did my first oil change tonight at 74 miles,went for one more ride last night starting at 45 miles and just lost track of time. It went smooth,the DIY's are great.
After having the bike now for 6 days i still haven't gotten use to how high the rpm's are over 45mph.I don't keep track what gear I'm in and I keep trying to shift into 7th gear.
kevheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #700
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

I still always hunt for that 7th gear still too!

Old June 9th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #701
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 2006 Daytona 675 in Tornado Red (sold), 2007 Ninja 650

New spark plugs! Went exactly as planned and it feels pretty good not having anything go wrong. Noticeable difference in start up/ running.

The old plugs were a little dark from where I put a lot of miles on my bike after my first time jetting the bike. I was inexperienced with tuning carbs, so may the motorcycle deity forgive my foolishness. It was too rich, but with the recent addition of an O2 sensor & A/F guage, I was able to finetune the jetting. I also switched from the dynojet kit w/ airbox to a factory pro kit w/o the airbox and took my time finetuning this time around. Patience has paid off. Bike runs strong now and with the change of plugs, it's even better.
hoodadooda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #702
kkim

curious... what are your jetting specs?

Old June 10th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #703
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 2006 Daytona 675 in Tornado Red (sold), 2007 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
curious... what are your jetting specs?
I wish I could just edit my post in "jetting database" but oh well
Here's my specs using the framework you set up.

YEAR: 2009

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: R-0990 K&N Filter (also has a drycharger over it, it shouldn't affect intake much though if at all)

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Area P CF Full System

JET KIT OR STOCK? Jet Kit

BRAND OF JET KIT? Factory Pro

MAIN JET: 112

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: Needle with the clip on the 3rd position with one washer underneath and two up top.

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: Somewhere around 2 1/4, probably more

ELEVATION: 200 feet

MISCELLANESOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP: I did move the floats 1mm to lean it out just a little bit as the A/F guage was reading rich and the bike was giving me feedback that convinced me it was rich. My final setup was giving me the readings (between 11.5 and 13.5) and the pull I was looking for throughout the rev range.

Also, I did try the 110 since it's been really hot out recently and adjusted the needles and mixture screws accordingly. It felt decent, but my readings were pointing towards being a bit lean up top, not horribly lean, but in the 14s. I switched to a 112 and that took care of that, but I was a bit rich down low, so I adjusted the floats a little and this moved me into the range I wanted with the readings and it also felt good.

Old June 10th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #704
kkim

Aaron,

instead of editing your old post in the jetting database, just add another. nothing saying you can't post more than once in that thread if you've changed something, especially if you have something valuable to add. others have done it.

thanks for the feedback.

Old June 10th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #705
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Aaron,

instead of editing your old post in the jetting database, just add another. nothing saying you can't post more than once in that thread if you've changed something, especially if you have something valuable to add. others have done it.

thanks for the feedback.
Yeah, there's this one guy with a green bike that kept posting in that thread, but he posts a lot anyway, so I guess that's normal for him.

Old June 10th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #706
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Rode out to get some delicious hogies:

"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #707
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Rode out to get some delicious hogies:
mmmmm hogies

Old June 10th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #708
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodadooda View Post
mmmmm hogies
x2

slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #709
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Today I rode my bike in the rain, for the 1st time ever, and of couse it stormed on my way to work, and on my way home. I was scared the whole time lol.

Old June 10th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #710
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

Did a few things today. Installed rearset adjusters, installed large clear fuel filter, shimmed carbs, removed snorkel, and cleaned my bike. Can't wait to go for the weather to clear up so I can go out for a ride.

*edit* I also waterproofed the bike by filling all the bikes electrical connectors with dielectric grease. Should help prevent corrosion and random electrical gremlins in the future.

Last futzed with by warlord; June 10th, 2011 at 08:32 PM.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #711
Luxodave
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha FZ6

Replaced a turn signal bulb. I feel much safer now.
Luxodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #712
Live2ride

I was riding today going about 60mph and my bike began to jolt with the power, It did so for a few seconds and then stalled. I pulled off to the side of the road and opened my tank to make sure there was gas and there was plenty. I spent a few minutes trying to start it again and it wouldn't start but the ignition would roll over. I noticed the fan was running so I just let the bike cool down for a few more minutes then it started right up, not a single problem since. No warning lights ever came on, do you guys think it just overheated? (it was about 73F )

Old June 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #713
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
I was riding today going about 60mph and my bike began to jolt with the power, It did so for a few seconds and then stalled. I pulled off to the side of the road and opened my tank to make sure there was gas and there was plenty. I spent a few minutes trying to start it again and it wouldn't start but the ignition would roll over. I noticed the fan was running so I just let the bike cool down for a few more minutes then it started right up, not a single problem since. No warning lights ever came on, do you guys think it just overheated? (it was about 73F )
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...=Power+stalled

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #714
smiley424

Put on my Area P Carbon Fiber exhaust. Gonna tackle shimming the carbs, pulling the snorkel, and installing a double bubble zero gravity windshield.

Old June 16th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #715
rousp
ninjette.org member

Name: Kristian

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R

Installed a sportisi fender eliminator and a bikemonkey rear light. Postet my thoughts on them in my owners thread, link in signature.
rousp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #716
money
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

I finally got my license plate, after 3 trips to the DMV.

For my first try, I drove my car downtown at lunchtime, waited in line and...

Me: "I need to do a title app and get my tag."
Them: "Is the bike here?"
Me: "Nope"
Them: "You'll have to ride the bike in so we can verify the VIN with the paper work"

I am a new rider, and didn't particularly want to commute and ride in traffic yet, but... 2nd time I rode the bike to work, then downtown through road construction, waited in line and tried again.

Me: "I need to do the title app and get my tag."
Them: "Your dealer does the title app"
Me: "Their computer locked up, they gave me the paperwork and said I could do it here"
Them: "We don't do that, your dealer will have to do it"
Me: "I was here yesterday and you told me you could but that you needed to see the bike"
Them: "Who told you that?"
Me: Points
Them: "She's new"
Me: "Can I at least get a tag?"
Them: "No, we can't do that without the title app being in process."
Me: "..."

I called the dealer and after a flurry of faxes and phone calls they were finally able to do the title app. 3rd time I rode my bike to work, went downtown, waited in line... again.

Me: "I need to get my tag."
Various paper changes hands
Them: "Okay, here's your tag."
Me: "Don't you need to see the bike?"
Them: "No, since the dealer did the title app, they inspected it so we don't have to."
Me: "..."

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #717
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

^^^ sounds like a comedy skit. At least you're all set now.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #718
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
^^^ sounds like a comedy skit. At least you're all set now.
Agreed

Old June 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #719
kevheads
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Green 250R

put the lower fairing & tail decals on today.

kevheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #720
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Ordered tires and headlight brackets
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote