I knew this would happen...

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #42
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I think anyone thinking anything that goes on the 250 is very loud is just silly. I thought the danmoto was loud and comparatively its not at all...
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #43
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I came to the same conclusion with my pipes. In comparison they're not any worse than any other bike, but they're still louder than stock.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #44
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

No muffler and my bike still wont be as loud as my buddies R6, so its just silly to argue about how loud the Ninja 250 is. I didnt want my bike to sound like a scooter either.

Old April 27th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #45
mattmosphere88
Ninja Enthusiast

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
No muffler and my bike still wont be as loud as my buddies R6, so its just silly to argue about how loud the Ninja 250 is. I didnt want my bike to sound like a scooter either.
Exactly, Justin. Exactly.

Old April 27th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #46
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmosphere88 View Post
Why are you pointing the finger at me? There are several others in this thread that share the same opinions as me and you choose to single me out?

When did I come to the conclusion that loud pipes save lives? I just like to hear the throttle when I twist it; the stock muffler doesn't give that.

I'd also like to point out that the video of my rev is filmed in a 2-door garage with the doors closed. The echo makes the exhaust sound louder than it really is.

Again, to each his own. I have my opinions, you have yours.
I quoted you and responded to you because you made the statements I felt compelled to respond to. It's kinda weird to quote someone you aren't responding to just because they have the same opinion, so I didn't "single you out." I asked YOU a couple questions based on something YOU said. Forget those people and consider answering.

You said that you "don't see the harm." I know that you probably just repeated a phrase you heard before without fully considering the "harm," so I pointed out "harm" and asked if you saw that. Do you? If not, why?

You also made a statement that only made sense if you assumed that we all agree that people generally aren't annoyed by loud Harleys when they generally ARE. I provided an example of general opinion expressed on South Park and asked if you were aware that they generally are annoyed. Are you aware? Do you disagree? No one had made the point so directly yet, so I wasn't going to ignore you just because I already asked you one question.

As for when you said that "loud pipes save lives:" you didn't say that you "just like to hear it," as you now claim, you said that it would get the attention of "dumbass drivers" who may not see you. That *IS* the "loud pipes save lives" argument. I never said you used those particular words and we should devolve into an argument about exact words, especially when my point wasn't even critical of that opinion! I simply said that you could have known that making that statement would start the same old argument unless this is literally your first time peeking into a motorcycle forum, and yet you stated that you "never intended to start an argument." Not that I don't believe you (I totally do), I'm just pointing out that if that is truly your intention, it's best to either not bring it up again or to at least qualify that as opinion in the first place instead of stating it as fact. Anyone could have seen this coming a mile away because this happens any time someone touts loud pipes for safety as if it were a fact and not opinion. Finally acknowledging the controversy and saying that it is your opinion this late into the argument that you wanted to avoid is silly.

Personally, I like loud exhausts and I don't mind others with them, but I acknowledge the drawbacks. I'm hard-of-hearing so I don't particularly want one myself (my hearing has gotten notably worse since I started riding), but I like them. I've seen the argument often enough to be able to make these statements about how others perceive it objectively, so don't get on the defensive as if I am on the offensive. I'm just making the points to prevent this argument from going around in circles. Instead of going on a tangent about being generally picked on, how about considering what was said and responding to that?

Last futzed with by CZroe; April 28th, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #47
mattmosphere88
Ninja Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I simply said that you could have known that making that statement would start the same old argument unless this is literally your first time peeking into a motorcycle forum, and yet you stated that you "never intended to start an argument."
As a matter of fact, this IS my first subscription to a motorcycle forum. I came here to learn and share my experiences but, for the most part, so far I've just been scolded. Apparently everyone knew that this was a touchy subject except me, so I guess I should apologize to everyone for starting all this drama.

I see both the pros and cons of this debate. Lesson learned; I guess I'll choose my words more wisely next time I decide to bring up the topic of an aftermarket muffler, if at all. All I did was share what my MSF instructor had told our class.

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #48
codestp202

Holy hell, seems like some people in this thread got something up their butts! Hey matt, the exhaust sounds great. I went with the danmoto carbon fiber because it was cheaper and a little quieter. But your exhaust sounds awesome.

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #49
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Loud pipes don't save lives, ask the bitch that pulled a u-turn in front of me. I wish people would stop making up these silly excuses to have a loud exhaust. No it doesn't make you any safer, you just like to be loud and annoying and you want an excuse for that so you don't seem like a douchebag.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #50
DevinWolfe
Which pedal is the gas?

Name: Devin

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE

I once heard that YOU should enjoy YOUR bike, YOUR exhaust, and YOUR mods. Mostly because it is YOUR bike, YOUR money, and YOUR time invested, no one elses.

Do you enjoy those? It seems so to me, so I would advise against feeling compelled to justify what you like/have done and enjoy YOUR ride.

Exhaust sounds a little to loud for my personal taste, I really like my Yoshi slip-on.

P.S. Welcome to internet forums, where a warrior sits behind every keyboard.
DevinWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #51
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Most people on this site are very safety oriented and the reason we tell people when they are mistaken about something like this is because we don't want them riding around with a false sense of security simply because their bike makes a lot of noise which must mean that every cager is paying attention to them
AFM #676

Old April 27th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #52
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Im not into the loud pipes save lives thing, but I dont think "loud" pipes are really loud on the ninja. You guys are silly. /end

Old April 28th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #53
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@mattmosphere88: sometimes what people say in textual format can feel harsh when they didn't intend for it to be read that way. I don't think anyone here is trying to be mean... except maybe Jiggles. He's mean sometimes but we still love his broken ass. Watch out for @TnNinjaGirl too... she can be playfully mean. I'm sure she's all cupcakes and bunnies underneath.

Stick around! It's great to see new faces here. I've learnt some things from being on this forum and being on the internet in general:
* Take everything said with a pinch of salt
* If you feel like someone is winding you up, you might be being trolled. If you suspect they are a troll you simply have to stop feeding them. That means, completely ignore them.
* Use the ignore feature for the people that ruin your experience here (the vast majority of people here are nice though!)
* Keep this image in the back of your mind:

Last futzed with by akima; April 28th, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #54
DevinWolfe
Which pedal is the gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Watch out for @TnNinjaGirl too... she can playfully mean. I'm sure she's all cupcakes and bunnies underneath.

This is definitely true.

All the other stuff she said, also true.

Old April 28th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #55
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmosphere88 View Post
As a matter of fact, this IS my first subscription to a motorcycle forum. I came here to learn and share my experiences but, for the most part, so far I've just been scolded. Apparently everyone knew that this was a touchy subject except me, so I guess I should apologize to everyone for starting all this drama.

I see both the pros and cons of this debate. Lesson learned; I guess I'll choose my words more wisely next time I decide to bring up the topic of an aftermarket muffler, if at all. All I did was share what my MSF instructor had told our class.
That's what I thought and why I worded it that way. It's for future reference so that you know that we've already had this debate and we can continue it elsewhere.

Since we're already talking about it though: I don't like absolutes, like the anecdotes people use to say that loud exhausts "never" help get attention and save lives. The truth of the matter is that they don't help as much as proponents like to say and that the actual benefit may be so little that the drawbacks to turning the public against us more than cancel it out. That South Park episode is a perfect example where they condemn everyone on a Harley and the public turns on all of them just because many run straight pipes.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #56
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

I agree that everyone has their own opinions. Mine is that I find them as annoying as those fart mufflers on cars around here. If you want a loud noise when you twist the throttle....news flash.... you bought the wrong bike. Personally, I'd vote for a noise ordinance. I just laugh to myself and think such a douche. Then again, I think the same thing about people who wear fitted baseball caps backwards... ha !

Its just my opinion tho. More power to you if you like it. I have noticed its mostly younger people who are trying to get attention that do those sort of things. As one gets older they tend to appreciate the quieter things in life. I would think loud pipes would scare cagers and make them lose attention and swerve or something.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #57
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinWolfe View Post
This is definitely true.
Shhhh.... I don't want everyone knowing I'm actually a decent person.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #58
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
I agree that everyone has their own opinions. Mine is that I find them as annoying as those fart mufflers on cars around here. If you want a loud noise when you twist the throttle....news flash.... you bought the wrong bike. Personally, I'd vote for a noise ordinance. I just laugh to myself and think such a douche. Then again, I think the same thing about people who wear fitted baseball caps backwards... ha !

Its just my opinion tho. More power to you if you like it. I have noticed its mostly younger people who are trying to get attention that do those sort of things. As one gets older they tend to appreciate the quieter things in life. I would think loud pipes would scare cagers and make them lose attention and swerve or something.
Why did I buy the wrong bike if I wanted it to be loud? Apparently I didn't if many companies make aftermarket exhausts for the 250's. I think everyone freaks out about loud exhausts. It's never going to change. I bought an aftermarket exhaust and I don't do it for attention. I don't really believe in the "loud pipes save lives", however I do notice people being more conscious on the road of me at times. I bought a slip-on because the picture in my mind of a streetbike wasn't a ninja 250 with the quiet little stock exhaust. I wanted it to be loud or somewhat loud like almost every other streetbike out there. People really need to just mind their own damn business because you sound like a bitter old man right now

Old April 28th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #59
DailyRidden250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R No longer. '06 Mini

Quote:
P.S. Welcome to internet forums, where a warrior sits behind every keyboard.
You summed it up! I couldn't have said any better.

I don't preach what I believe in as if it is a gospel. I learned this from running a forum of my own. Now preaching a fact is a different story.

I have a loud exhaust and I only ride in the city traffic. People know that I am around their cars. People notice that I am nearby BUT NOT necessarily know how close or far I am. It does increase awareness of SOME drivers. It hurts my ears if I don't wear the ear plugs.

Now arguing about the louder exhaust saving lives being the empirical truth is just time being wasted. It may and it may not. It absolutely amazes me when people argue about only their POV and not willing to recognize other point of view that is also valid.

IMO, it could save lives, it could NOT; judging from the anecdotal evidences that people are presenting. They all have valid points!

Now calling people idiots and calling names; those just aren't necessary. And gotta realize that people may not agree with you at all times. It is just NOT imperative to make them to believe what you believe and when they don't, there is NO reason to get all upset about it.

DailyRidden250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #60
mattmosphere88
Ninja Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
Personally, I'd vote for a noise ordinance. I just laugh to myself and think such a douche.
Here we go again with the name-calling stereotypes. There's a bit of hypocrisy here. You feel that bikes which make noise are annoying, right? According to your avatar info, you own a ZX10; I'd be willing to bet that thing STOCK is just as loud as my modded 250 that you claim sounds like a "douche".

Let's swing that judgemental pendulum right back to the other side.

Old April 28th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #61
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Im sorry if I offended you.

My zx-10 has an area p and its a bit quieter than the stock pipe was. In town speeds, its not loud because I dont cruise in 1st gear hitting the rev limit.

I stated earlier that if the guy wanted a loud bike then a 250r was the wrong bike. Its a 250, it sounds like a lawn mower, his just sounds like a loud one.

Again, I apologize for offending anyone and I am a bitter old man.

Old April 28th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #62
AmplexorJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Kody

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

@thurt88 thanks for being one of those douch nozzles that would vote to give the gov't the power to jail us for annoying YOU. It's a public road, if people don't like what they hear stay home and STFU.

@choneofakind thanks for clearing that hot engine thing up. Thats also what I heard about aftermarket exhaust+no re-jetting= too lean(hot engine)

@mattmosphere88 yeah I think loud pipes don't really save lives that often. I'm sure they have before but probably not enough to consider them a safer option.
However, they damn sure sound better. I like yours. I have a louder than stock and like revvin in traffic for no damn reason but I better watch it if I dont want to be locked up lol

@Jiggles How dare you!!! She's a nice lady.

@thisthread i use noise canceling earbuds and jam to my jams that jam. they are small enough to fit comfortably in my helmet with my head
AmplexorJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #63
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmplexorJ View Post
@thurt88 thanks for being one of those douch nozzles that would vote to give the gov't the power to jail us for annoying YOU. It's a public road, if people don't like what they hear stay home and STFU.

@choneofakind thanks for clearing that hot engine thing up. Thats also what I heard about aftermarket exhaust+no re-jetting= too lean(hot engine)

@mattmosphere88 yeah I think loud pipes don't really save lives that often. I'm sure they have before but probably not enough to consider them a safer option.
However, they damn sure sound better. I like yours. I have a louder than stock and like revvin in traffic for no damn reason but I better watch it if I dont want to be locked up lol

@thisthread i use noise canceling earbuds and jam to my jams that jam. they are small enough to fit comfortably in my helmet with my head
I like you

Old April 28th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #64
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
Why did I buy the wrong bike if I wanted it to be loud? Apparently I didn't if many companies make aftermarket exhausts for the 250's. I think everyone freaks out about loud exhausts. It's never going to change. I bought an aftermarket exhaust and I don't do it for attention. I don't really believe in the "loud pipes save lives", however I do notice people being more conscious on the road of me at times. I bought a slip-on because the picture in my mind of a streetbike wasn't a ninja 250 with the quiet little stock exhaust. I wanted it to be loud or somewhat loud like almost every other streetbike out there. People really need to just mind their own damn business because you sound like a bitter old man right now
Just FYI, most other bikes are just as quiet stock. My 650 was actually quieter than my 250 stock
AFM #676

Old April 28th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #65
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmplexorJ View Post

It's actually illegal to have your bike make over a certain decibel of noise. Most cops don't care but yes they can site you for having a loud exhaust.

And wtf you talkin bout mang?
AFM #676

Old April 28th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #66
xSean13

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
It's actually illegal to have your bike make over a certain decibel of noise. Most cops don't care but yes they can site you for having a loud exhaust.

Only in certain states. No dB level law here.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #67
DevinWolfe
Which pedal is the gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Only in certain states. No dB level law here.
TN FTW, that's what they get for living on the left coast.

Old April 28th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #68
codestp202

Quote:
Just FYI, most other bikes are just as quiet stock. My 650 was actually quieter than my 250 stock
You get what I'm trying to get at. I didn't want a quiet bike. My dream was a nice loud bike

Old April 28th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #69
xSean13

Quote:
TN FTW, that's what they get for living on the left coast.
Yeah...hippies.

Old April 28th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #70
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
You get what I'm trying to get at. I didn't want a quiet bike. My dream was a nice loud bike
Oh ok

AFM #676

Old April 28th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #71
codestp202

Quote:
Oh ok

lol. Hate you!

Old April 28th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #72
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

It seems cool now, and will for a couple of weeks but you'll get VERY annoyed with it

Old April 28th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #73
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Guys... Seriously... A debate/argument? Why don't we leave other peoples opinions alone and share our own if we feel like it.... Who cares what someone's instructor said... If you feel he was wrong, say so without insulting anyone... It isn't a hard proccess. Matt I personally like loud pipes, but that's just my opinion... Seriously LOL I really can't believe this thread got turned into a battle of P***S size... I'm right... No I'm right... NO I'M RIGHT.... Let's use our "grown up" thoughts when replying to others posts people.
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #74
AmplexorJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Kody

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Quote:

Yeah I know, not here though but aftermarket exhaust is illegal not enforced tho. I was actually just saying I cant stand people who want to give away our rights to the gov't.

and as far as wtf im saying to you.... oh u know shhhh
AmplexorJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #75
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

So amp, its ok to deafen everyone with your exhaust because you like it ? What about the 80 year old grandmother in the car next to you with a hearing aid on ? Is it just as cool to blare your fart box in her ear ?

Or how bout a neighbor sitting in his car blaring his rap song thru the 1k watt amp he just installed ? There is no difference to me, to me its like the punk kid with the pink mohawk walking in the mall with a dog collar on. They just want attention.

I believe ppl should be free to do as much as they like so long as it doesnt impose on any other persons quality of life. Anything less than that is just rude and inconsiderate, imo.

Old April 28th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #76
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

I like my yoshi system but every once in a while I'm like uuuuggghhhh I wish I got the area p 18"...

Speaking of which, anyone want to trade? lol

Old April 28th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #77
codestp202

Whenever I pull out of my house, I make sure to upshift very quickly as to not piss off my neighbors. Loud music during the day is understandable, I could see it being a problem at night when it would be unrespectful. And unless you're one of those people who redline their bike at a stoplight I don't see how it could be annoying. And as a matter of fact you are being completely rude and inconsiderate to everyone here, get off your high horse.

Old April 28th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #78
xSean13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe the Ant View Post
I like my yoshi system but every once in a while I'm like uuuuggghhhh I wish I got the area p 18"...

Speaking of which, anyone want to trade? lol
I'll trade you a 1st edition holographic Charizard for it

Old April 28th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #79
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
I'll trade you a 1st edition holographic Charizard for it
Only if he has an area p system installed

Old April 28th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #80
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

hahaha my buddies neighbors son came out all pissed off at me and my buddy for being loud trying to start my dirt bike today... He asked if we could do it somewhere else and we were like uhhh no? we need to start it running down this hill? He was like well dont do it on our street and then my buddy was like, fine ill do it in front of my house (which is right next door) and then he did. and I lol'd

it was 3:30 in the afternoon. If youre gonna bitch about the noise from stuff like that at 3:30 you have a problem.