ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 31st, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

N4's Battery Box Mod

If you ever have to remove your carburetor, its a real pain because you have to loosen the rear fender to be able to slide the air box rearward to be able to get enough room to work. Several people here have pointed out that a simple solution to this problem is to cut off the battery box from the air box. That way, you only have to remove the battery box (two easy bolts) and you're done.

To accomplish this in the past, people have had to remove the air box (which is a major job). Others have used tools like saws alls to hack it off in place. This method shown here shows how to do it without removing the air box or having to blindly use cutting tools. My method is also the only method that doesn't use ANY sharp blades or saws or ANY expensive or special tools. As such, its virtually impossible to cut yourself or the bike unintentionally.

To start, you need to remove the battery, side fairings and gas tank. Consult other DIYs if you don't know how to remove the tank. In this photo I have all the fairings removed, but only the side fairings are necessary. Once that is all done, remove the two 10mm bolts on the right side that hold the fuse box assembly to the bike. Don't try to remove any of the components - just the remove the bolts and pull the electrical section away from the bike a little.

Next, remove the two 10mm bolts that hold the radiator overflow tank on the left side and let it dangle.

Now you need a four foot long piece of cotton string. It MUST be 100% cotton. You cannot use string that has anything synthetic. Also, it must be actual string and not twine or yarn. The string I use is about a sixteenth of an inch in diameter.

Using a stiff wire, fish the string under the battery box and between the air box and the battery box. There is a little ridge there where they connect.

Route the string up and in between the frame tubes. Make sure there are no tubes or wires between the string and the air/battery box. Tie the ends of the string to a pair of screw drivers. They will act as handles.

Pull the string up and tight by pulling up on both handles. Using an up and down sawing motion while keeping the string tight against the bottom of the box. As you pull up on one handle the other will go down. Then you pull that one back up and the first one goes down. You repeat that rapidly for about 100 strokes. If the string ever gets loose, its not doing anything.

Go as fast as you can. I'll explain later. After about 10 strokes, you'll feel the string getting harder to pull. That is a sign that its cutting good. You'll also notice the string turning black. When its done cutting, the string will pull free.

BUT HURRY, you're not done yet. The string cuts by melting the plastic by means of friction. As soon as the string passes through an area, the molten plastic will try to weld itself back together. So once the string cuts all the way through, you need to remove the battery box bolts and use a flat head screwdriver to pry the battery box away from the air box.

Once you have the battery box out, set it aside and let it cool for a few minutes.

You'll notice that my string method of removing the battery box makes a perfect cut without damaging the air box.

The down side to this method is that you will need a fair bit of upper body strength to make the cut. The string must be pulled tight and its gets pretty hard to pull at times. Most guys wont have a problem with this. But as far as methods to cut out the battery box go, it doesn't get any easier than this.

Old August 31st, 2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Noice!

A string saw might be easier, although I suppose there is a risk of damaging the frame or air box.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #3
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

you can repair the airbox if it becomes damaged with epoxy I believe....
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #4
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Neat trick D! looks like it gave you a good result.

Have fun with removing your carbs easier now! ps, you're one step closer to justifying a pod filter now, because the work is already half way done. trust me.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #5
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

It seemed to work good. The only issue is that the airbox seems to have moved farther into the carb somehow and now the battery box gets tilted by the rubber strap. And yes, its way better when you need to get at the carbs.

Since this is a spare bike, I'm not sure about pods.

Old April 19th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Redneck farmer
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 1998 Harley Road King

Did this today to yank my carb out. Worked great!
Redneck farmer is offline   Reply With Quote