ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old May 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #41
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

more education would have prevented this... that goes for most issues.

trust your bike, look where you want to go, and make that turn! it'll do way more than you think it will if you can keep your inputs from screwing it up.

Old May 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #42
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiburonsita View Post
ugh, that sucks. Looks like his bike went right where he was looking. Maybe a little too distracted with entertaining the video.
Seems that way to me... Plus, at 1:03 he rides right over a steel grate that was plenty avoidable and then some sand at 2:47... Isn't that a cardinal sin (not to mention a decent indicator of things to come)?
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #43
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcbride11 View Post
Plus, at 1:03 he rides right over a steel grate that was plenty avoidable and then some sand at 2:47... Isn't that a cardinal sin (not to mention a decent indicator of things to come)?
I don't mind either of those things. He was going quite slowly over both. In the first case he was on the right side of the lane while his buddy was on the left (in front though, in staggered formation). The grate wasn't a large enough obstacle to warrant a swerve. I saw a small bit of sand at 2:47, but it was minor and the corner speed was so slow that it shouldn't upset anything, and it didn't. Sand and gravel don't mean instant crashing, but sometimes an overreaction to them (swerving and/or braking) can put people on the ground unnecessarily. If lean angles aren't too great and speeds aren't too high, just rolling over them with everything relaxed is almost always a non-event. Now oil or black ice are a whole different story, and need to be treated with a whole different level of care.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #44
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
In the first case he was on the right side of the lane while his buddy was on the left (in front though, in staggered formation). The grate wasn't a large enough obstacle to warrant a swerve..
Touche. I didn't think about the fact that there was likely someone behind him on the left (and we know there was, because he's the original cameraman).

I've just got an unnatural fear of those steel plates ever since one fell in while I was driving over it years ago... Luckily 3 wheels on the ground meant that it was no big deal.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #45
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Now oil or black ice are a whole different story, and need to be treated with a whole different level of care.
F-ing +1 $650 later

He couldve executed that turn.. well the ninjette couldve.

I cant get over all of that seat sliding while Vblogging. He was focused more on making a video than operating a motor vehicle yet hes portraying an agressive rider.
I hope this concept doesnt make it to the DOT. Next they'll be trying to ban video recording while operating a motor vehicle.

Old May 30th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #46
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

AHAHAHA damn. Idk what to say on this. IMO it's nice to see a little humor as he plays sad music at the end of his vid.

I think they/he should:
1) not record videos and talk to themselves and the camera while they ride
2) learn to look ahead
3) learn how to ride with better lines.. he was on the way outside of the previous turn before he crashed on the next turn.. he had no road to ride the counter turn once it came up
4) wear full gear, all of them

in all honestly, this reminds me of when I first crashed, almost similar to mine minus the video taking and talking. you live and learn
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #47
NINJETTE09
RED NINJETTE

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (red)

it's weird.....

seeing this video today cuz same thing happened to me today on sunrise hwy/hwy 79 on our last 15 mph twisty tight left turn (my 1st crash and hopefully the last)......here's what I did wrong:

1. Took the turn at 35 mph since I did it in the first 3, 15 mph tight turn and did just fine, except this time, I took my eyes off the double yellow line (which I usually use as my basis when I'm cornering to my left so I stay on course while leaning).....I don't do what the guy in the video do like hanging by butt off the bike....I lean with the bike and my head is pointed towards where I'm going....hanging the butt off the bike is unnecessary for the speed and lean he was doing....I can lean the bike just with me leaning with it....

2. I got distracted by oncoming cars and I took my eyes off my target...

3. went a little wide and hit some gravel, tried to save it but hit a big sized rock and me and red went wobbling and low-sided...

4. Just wearing a pair of jeans so I have a big road rash on my knee and few bruises and swollen lower left leg....and I even went looking for a pair of leather pants with knee protections yesterday...but the store didn't have my size....what a coincidence this happened to me today....."premonition"?

WHAT I DID RIGHT:
1. I had on motorcycle textile jacket with elbow, shoulder, and back protectors.
2. I had on motorcycle over the ankle boots.....my ankle probably wouldve been scraped off too if not for the boots I was wearing....
3. I was riding my ride and didn't try to keep up with my group and just rode the twisties the way I've been comfortable with....
4. we stopped at the next store we saw and grabbed some peroxide, band-aide, sports wrap and neosporin...my friends cleaned up my knee and pour some peroxide and covered it up....OUCH.....that was painful....

TARGET FIXATION is really important when cornering....I somehow get distracted a lot when I'm cornering to my left.....Cornering to my right is easy for me cause I always use the white line as a basis going to my right and it never failed me and I can lean red with ease even on a blind right corner....

Well I'm ok...I didn't hit anything from my upper thigh and up...no scratches on my helmet or jacket...my next investment is on some good leather pants with knee and hip protection......
And I need to check myself since I've been riding tight twisties and I get more and more comfortable everytime and leaning lower and going faster cornering even on blind corners.....I'm starting to get complacent and that's a big no-no for a newb like me......we learn from our mistakes...
I still rode red for next 2-3 hours after I went down....red needs some body work....ordered new gearshifter..mine was bent over backwards and few riders at the scene put it back in place but it's hard to shift it now...
NINJETTE09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 07:48 AM   #48
Buffalony

Glad to hear your ok Alex. Its good youve gone over it pretty well in ur head. Pat pretty much summed it up "Live and Learn". I bet you were much more focused on turns after you went down Sorry about lil' Red. What kinda jacket were you wearing?
Welcome to the forums.

Old May 31st, 2009, 08:52 AM   #49
NINJETTE09
RED NINJETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
Glad to hear your ok Alex. Its good youve gone over it pretty well in ur head. Pat pretty much summed it up "Live and Learn". I bet you were much more focused on turns after you went down Sorry about lil' Red. What kinda jacket were you wearing?
Welcome to the forums.
I was wearing Scorpion black dahlia shown in the pic below......

Old May 31st, 2009, 08:54 AM   #50
NINJETTE09
RED NINJETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJETTE09 View Post
I was wearing Scorpion black dahlia shown in the pic below......

That pic was from yesterday few hours before I went down.

Old June 1st, 2009, 10:57 AM   #51
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Thats a nice pic , I was thinking to hit the 94 but was gloomy and drizzling, looks like it was sunny more inland. You will heal fast and be on red again soon, Ill try and keep up with you on Hiryu
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2009, 01:27 PM   #52
NINJETTE09
RED NINJETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali619 View Post
Thats a nice pic , I was thinking to hit the 94 but was gloomy and drizzling, looks like it was sunny more inland. You will heal fast and be on red again soon, Ill try and keep up with you on Hiryu
It was actually nice and sunny up in the canyons...I found out exactly where I went down---Cuyamaca.....well, hopefully we all get to ride together once my knee heals....there's another girl on meetup group (Karen) who's new and wants to start riding with 250 riders in SD...she said she doesn't want to do corners yet....which is fine for me...I need a break from twisties after my spill...

Old June 1st, 2009, 01:31 PM   #53
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Quote:
It was actually nice and sunny up in the canyons...I found out exactly where I went down---Cuyamaca.....well, hopefully we all get to ride together once my knee heals....there's another girl on meetup group (Karen) who's new and wants to start riding with 250 riders in SD...she said she doesn't want to do corners yet....which is fine for me...I need a break from twisties after my spill...
You will be fiending to ride soon muhahahah, Im gonna try and organize a ride with Karen and let her pace it and try some easier routes.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:49 AM   #54
Buffalony

Quote:
u a girl?

Old June 12th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #55
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Analysis of the crash found on youtube

Link to original page on YouTube.

g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #56
NINJETTE09
RED NINJETTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
u a girl?
yes I'm a girl named Alex.....

Old June 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #57
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

question on body postioning.
when you lean are you supposed to keep your butt on the bike or off the bike? i've been watching videos on body positioning on youtube and from what I understand you need to slide your butt off the seat, lower your shoulder, elbow and head and look in the direction you're turning. is this right? can someone educate me on this?
thanks,
tin
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #58
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

someone on here should make a video on body positioning, cornering and braking so we (newbies) don't make the same mistake.

Old June 18th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #59
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
great video.
short but a lot of usefule info.

Old July 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #60
coffeecandy
ninjette.org member

Name: Eli

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

I'm glad the guy is alright!

I started ROFL my ass off when that person with the mechanix gloves came helping in the vid.
coffeecandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #61
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
great video.
short but a lot of usefule info.
That looks like a very useful book to buy.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #62
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
I found the vlog of the rider that crashed and looks like target fixation after a blind curve to a hard left.

If you click the link to the next video (showing the after part where everyone comes to help) Looks like they are a super prepared group of riders in jeans and shirts. I know if I hadn't been wearing all my gear I would have a broken shoulder and enough rash to send me to the hospital. I'm sure he learned.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #63
Ken
"Is that the Ninjer 1000?

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Quarter Liter Kawi

Quote:
I found the vlog of the rider that crashed and looks like target fixation after a blind curve to a hard left.

Other than itsreload's riding skills (or lack thereof), the biggest problem I see in this video is the rider being distracted by himself. Right before he went down he was still talking to himself. It didn't look like he even realized he was going down because he didn't panic prior. Watch from 4:40 on.

Trying to be cute and narrating his video while riding = :thumbsdown:

You need to be concentrating while riding, not trying to be interesting/funny or thinking about stuff other than riding.

Old July 9th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #64
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

rather ironic how the first V-log mentioned how much dirt was on the side of the road and how ugly it would be to come off around there~ just minutes before the other guy came off the bike.

and then the dood that fell, as others mentioned already did way too much butt sliding it kinda looked goofy cos they weren't even going that fast, well at least it didn't seem like they were... couldn't have been much over 60~80 Kmh imo. another ironic comment was how he said that it was so hot, and he was impressed that the two guys in front of him were wearing a full suit, it would have saved him that nasty gash on the knee... hope it didn't cause lasting injuries.

this is always something i fear when i get into a tight situation, but over here its usually the insane traffic that is the dangerous part, not beautiful winding country roads. i would love to have a road like that to ride on the week ends, etc.

oh, and that guy with the GSXR 1000 was probably really glad he didn't swap bikes at the gas station i would be furious if someone trashed my bike, and on the other hand, i would feel terrible if i crashed a friends bike!
wayanlam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #65
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Looks like he didn't even see that left turn comming. Plus. I have no Idea why he was hanging so far of the bike in every turn. Looked like a total noob wishing he were on a track. his bike was mostly upright the entire time. he hardly ever leaned it. Maybe if he had been looking through the turns he could have done better.

Old July 29th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #66
cmac
ninjette.org newbie

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): None yet : (

Check out "rebelyell91" and "zmagic97" on youtube. They are vloggers who both ride 250s
cmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #67
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Referring to the first vid:

It looks like a simple case of ignorance in counter-steering. I don't think he uses counter steering at all. He was shifting his weight not to decrease the lean as per racing, but to facilitate and increase it. Basically, he was using his weight to lean the bike with, not counter-steering, and he could do it only so much. The curve was simply too sharp for that speed without counter-steering. I don't think it was target fixation. He simply could not achieve the lean required to make that curve.

And if he could not make that curve with a Ninja 250 weighing 330 lb, it would be worse for a heavier bike. Were he on a 550 lb Harley, using only body-weigh transfer and without counter steering, he would hardly be able to lean the bike at all at any speed higher than a crawl, where the gyro effect would tend to keep the bike upright and going straight. In a group ride on twisties dictating a speed he cannot handle, he is bound to crash at the first half-decent curve. Therefore, I am willing to wager that this was his first ever group ride on any route curvier than a straight road.

IMHO, there is no technique in motorcycle riding more important than counter-steering.
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #68
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

^Thats true, what I think is the most disturbing, is just how many riders are out there that are completely unaware of countersteering.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #69
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
Referring to the first vid:

It looks like a simple case of ignorance in counter-steering. I don't think he uses counter steering at all. He was shifting his weight not to decrease the lean as per racing, but to facilitate and increase it. Basically, he was using his weight to lean the bike with, not counter-steering, and he could do it only so much. The curve was simply too sharp for that speed without counter-steering. I don't think it was target fixation. He simply could not achieve the lean required to make that curve.

And if he could not make that curve with a Ninja 250 weighing 330 lb, it would be worse for a heavier bike. Were he on a 550 lb Harley, using only body-weigh transfer and without counter steering, he would hardly be able to lean the bike at all at any speed higher than a crawl, where the gyro effect would tend to keep the bike upright and going straight. In a group ride on twisties dictating a speed he cannot handle, he is bound to crash at the first half-decent curve. Therefore, I am willing to wager that this was his first ever group ride on any route curvier than a straight road.

IMHO, there is no technique in motorcycle riding more important than counter-steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
^Thats true, what I think is the most disturbing, is just how many riders are out there that are completely unaware of countersteering.
Wow. I think your right. I believe there is (an I often forget) a small portion of riders that counter steering doesnt come naturally to. Not bragging or anything but I had a hard time understanding why they were teaching it at my MSF course, because it was something already natural to me that I just understood....anyone understand were I'm coming from? And now that you metion it it really does make sense that this guy was trying to turn his bars left while trying to turn left while putting weight on the right peg. He was basically using very slow speed handling technique at a much higher speed....must have spent to much time in a parking lot practicing...

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #70
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

I know what you mean Buffalony. I didn't know what they were talking about at first either. I pictured the front wheel of the motorcycle moving sideways along its axis or something. They never say that it is just how you "INITIATE" the turn. Anyone who grew who riding a bicycle know that. Who knew it needed a name?
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #71
rmorse
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bobby

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawi Ninja 250R, 2013 Honda CRF450R, 2008 Honda CRF250R, 2001 Honda XR400

OMG, look how cheap gas is!!!!
rmorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #72
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Thread necrrrrrroooooo.

Youtube vlogger itsreload (the guy who crashed in the first video) now rides an R6.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #73
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Old June 13th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #74
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Name: Janelle

Motorcycle(s): current newbie stick is a loaner :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterick4o8 View Post
AHAHAHA damn. Idk what to say on this. IMO it's nice to see a little humor as he plays sad music at the end of his vid.
Haha YES. I appreciated that bit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Then when the camera gets a shot of his knee -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorse View Post
OMG, look how cheap gas is!!!!
Yes. That would be what you'd notice from this thread...

Old June 13th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #75
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

OMG 5:38 looks sooo painful check his knee out start at 5:37
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #76
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI