ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 6th, 2016, 01:27 PM   #1
Twigster
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): '11 ninja 250, '09 Sprint ST 1050, '06 KTM ADV 950, '00 ttr125, '98 xr400, '95 xr250 '83 CR 480R, '76 TT 500

air box mod

Has anyone ever drilled say 2" holes in the air box? i was thinking doing it in the flat area just in front of the battery box along side the snorkel. Any performance increase?
Twigster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Figure 17, page 17.
http://www.leovince.com/files/F1604/9213%20-%20GB.pdf
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #3
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

I always wondered about this. Didn't know it was already being done.
I didn't like the idea of running pods, and removing the snorkel seemed so/so
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2016, 08:22 AM   #4
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You realize that's for another market Ninja that's fuel injected and will require a tune with a programmer?

Doing that to a standard carbed Ninja will make it a pain to tune.........like pods.

Removing the snorkel and adding an exhaust will get you 30-31 HP.

I would like to see a dyno sheet with pods if someone has one to compare peak HP and HP curves.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2016, 08:38 AM   #5
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Folks have done it, there are threads around iirc

Oh wow, there I even one listed below on my screen

Last futzed with by JohnnyBravo; August 7th, 2016 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Saw modded airbox in the related post window
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2016, 10:41 AM   #6
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
You realize that's for another market Ninja that's fuel injected and will require a tune with a programmer?

Doing that to a standard carbed Ninja will make it a pain to tune.........like pods.

Removing the snorkel and adding an exhaust will get you 30-31 HP.

I would like to see a dyno sheet with pods if someone has one to compare peak HP and HP curves.
Yes, I'm aware. Thank you for that. But the airbox is the same and the OP was asking if anyone had done it before. I posted that PDF so he could see that cutting two 2" holes in the back of the airbox is a procedure recommended by a major aftermarket manufacturer with a dyno at their disposal. They wouldn't suggest it and spend hours on their dyno tuning their fuel controller if it didn't so SOMETHING for the bike.

Nope. Pods aren't hard to tune if you have some patience, just use your noggin a little bit. Also: no, opening the airbox doesn't make jetting difficult at all. Cutting open the airbox is the best of both worlds in my experience. I cut the whole lid open on my pregen at one point. Improved throttle response, good top end power, good start up, good idle, good sound; all with the factory air filter and factory location to protect from water intrusion. It did need some minor tweaks to the jetting to get there though.

Search a little. Area P has done numerous posts (and an entire thread ) about the gains associated with full systems, pod filters, modified airboxes, with and without snorkel, etc etc etc including dyno sheets. They've even hosted some Q&A with members who need more convincing.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but it's jetting; it's not rocket science. There's plenty of online documentation on how to tune CV carbs if you're willing to take the time to read and then go do science.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 7th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
This is where Kerry gives us some curves. Read further through the thread for where he posts the dyno curve with a pod filter replacing the airbox. IIRC, the pods + full exhaust + tuner was better than factory literally everywhere on the curve. Blew my mind because "common knowledge" is that FI and pods don't play well together.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...&postcount=144

EDIT: here you go, there's a dyno chart on this page for the full exhaust, pod filter, and fuel tuner.
http://areapnolimits.com/products/Sl...a-300-2013.php

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 7th, 2016, 03:36 PM   #8
Twigster
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): '11 ninja 250, '09 Sprint ST 1050, '06 KTM ADV 950, '00 ttr125, '98 xr400, '95 xr250 '83 CR 480R, '76 TT 500

thank you for the quick info kids! that link is exactly what i was thinking. :dance cool:

A little back ground on where i am coming from. I have two 2011 250s. One i race at omrra events in the ninja cup series as well as other events and kart tracks. We are very limited on what we can do will these bikes and mine is make about 31hp. The other is currently stock (performance wise) and is my daily year around commuter,supersport touring machine and camping special! lol I have over 30k miles on it now and have a full leo gp exhaust system and factory pro stage 1 jet kit that has been siting around for some time now. i was thinking about slapping them on sometime maybe soon and was thinking what i could do to the air box and carbs as ill be there jetting them. as time goes on and more things need a refresher those things will be upgraded. Maybe a bigger bore down the road.
Twigster is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.