Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 5th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #1
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Worst Piece of Gear You Ever Bought

Time to confess. We've all made bad purchases at some point in our lives. Either a badly designed or manufactured product, something horrible looking, something WAY too expensive for what you got or something that was crap for safety. Even better, something that was all five. Post your gear mistakes here. Points awarded for the most spectactularly failed gear purchase.

Here is mine: Alpinestars Parlor Boots. I thought, hey, I can wear those to the office on my commute and it will ensure that I am ATGATT, and no one will know I'm wearing a motorcycle boot! Well, I'm an idiot. They have almost no protective value, probably less than a pair of high tops. And after a month of wearing them, they started to fall apart, with the glue holding the upper to the sole disappearing. They are really uncomfortable, a tad too small in the toebox but somehow they once actually fell off when I clumsily tripped. They have little chance of staying on in a crash. Cost $175. The Parlor is just a terribly, terrifically, spectacularly bad piece of motorcycle gear for a bad price. Lesson learned - wear a real boot and change at the office.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 04:23 AM   #2
n_aditya
ninjette.org member

Name: Aditya

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (for the weekend's) and the Suzuki Fiero for office commute.

I bought a pair of locally available knee guards from a company here called Cramster. Fondly referred to as Crapster in my riding group, these knee guards gave in on the first use itself.

The rivets on the side popped out when i knelt to take a picture from my digicam.

Flashback... I have a riding jacket (with armor) from the same company and although the finish is not great, the jacket is just acceptable. I had to get an exchange on the jacket as it started tearing within a weeks use. The replacement jacket has lousy velcro straps but otherwise is just OK.

I wanted to go for the Alpinestars Boinic Knee guards but for a little over US$ 100 i was skeptical (its a small packet of money here ).

These Crapster knee guards cost me around US $ 30 and i knew that if it went kaput i could chuck them and go with A* considering 30 USD was not a big deal.

After they gave way, i went back to the store and got a refund after some argument and picked up the A*'s immediately. I am happy with the A* knee guards but the velcro is showing signs of weakness after almost 8 months of use. The straps come undone but not an issue to fix. I can buy a velcro strip for a dollar and fix the issue

BTW, here is a link to the crapster knee guards - http://www.outdoortravelgear.com/pro...rs/55/142.aspx
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #3
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

For me it'd have to be the Icon Stryker knee pads. Extremely expensive compared to other knee pads and it failed pretty badly when you try to put a normal pair of pants over top (street riding. They'd be great for the track). And it arrived broken, so I was able to send it back after doing a review of it.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68385

Old April 12th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Luxodave
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha FZ6

Icon Field Armor shorts. No real protection at all and they are sized way too big.

http://www.amazon.com/Icon-field-Arm.../dp/B002LKIGG2
Luxodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I WON a leather motorcycle jacket at a bike show. It had hard elbow pads. The jacket fit well and was OK till I crashed. When I landed on my side. The hard elbow pad broke my ribs. It was a very slow low side . I dug the center stand in going around a corner. How's that for bad safety gear? It caused an injury.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #6
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

probably a pair of shift textile gloves...really not any protection...i know rock some nice rev'it leather gauntlets.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #7
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I WON a leather motorcycle jacket at a bike show. It had hard elbow pads. The jacket fit well and was OK till I crashed. When I landed on my side. The hard elbow pad broke my ribs. It was a very slow low side . I dug the center stand in going around a corner. How's that for bad safety gear? It caused an injury.
Bonus points to Racer x for actually being injured by safety gear.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old April 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #8
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Anything with frank thomas in the title

Old April 17th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #9
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

mesh cortech pants and mesh joe rocket jacket...bought them for the summer but realized i'd rather be hot than get road rash...the mesh was so loose the armor would shift...i did use the armor for my leather jacket so not a total loss...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #10
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
I'm with you on the mesh cortechs, I tried some and hated them. But I love my Joe Rocket Phoenix. It's a tradeoff, but with the cordura on the key bits and the CE armor, it does its job reasonably well. Given the complete sweatbox that is the tropics, it's a must have item down here. Haven't had issues with armor shifting during a getoff - both it and abrasion resistance patches work fine (and sadly, I have conducted some inadvertant testing ). Can't blame you for wanting something more substantial, I'm continually toying with picking up a Roadcrafter for better abrasion resistance.

Old April 19th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #11
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Name: Glenn

Motorcycle(s): 06 Daytona 675, 09 Ninja 250

Joe Rocket Gloves... My one and only lowside thus far... palm of my hand hit the ground, almost instantaneously the glove disintegrated. The palm hit the ground for a fraction of a second and I was left with a bloody, road-rashed palm...
SdSy675 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #12
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SdSy675 View Post
Joe Rocket Gloves... My one and only lowside thus far... palm of my hand hit the ground, almost instantaneously the glove disintegrated. The palm hit the ground for a fraction of a second and I was left with a bloody, road-rashed palm...
Which model of gloves? I had a lowside in my Joe Rocket Phoenix gloves and they held up like champs. Wondering if it is a different glove, or if quality is just uneven batch by batch, in which case I won't replace these (that I'm loving so far.)

Old April 19th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #13
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Limited Ed

I know a lot of people rave about them, but it would have to be an Aerostitch suit. When i first got it it was winter and the suit was supposed to be weatherproof. NOT. It leaked like a sieve, leaving me damp and miserable at work. Then spring and summer hit. Great googly moogly that thing was miserably, unbearably, unFREAKINGbelievably HOT. Heat stroke inducingly HOT. I sold it and bought a Motoport Kevlar setup...SOOOO much better!
Moldbuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:35 AM   #14
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Name: Glenn

Motorcycle(s): 06 Daytona 675, 09 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Which model of gloves? I had a lowside in my Joe Rocket Phoenix gloves and they held up like champs. Wondering if it is a different glove, or if quality is just uneven batch by batch, in which case I won't replace these (that I'm loving so far.)
The ones I was wearing were the SpeedMasters... Could have been a bad batch but obviously gave me a negative perception of their products? If the gloves couldn't hold up to split second contact with pavement or blame it on poor Quality Management, still no excuse for my road rashed palm... I will never buy JR again...
SdSy675 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:56 AM   #15
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

HJC helmet. Most unconfortable pos helmet I've ever worn. I think it's a cl-15.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM   #16
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
HJC helmet. Most unconfortable pos helmet I've ever worn. I think it's a cl-15.
+1 I'm pretty sure mines the cl-15 too and the f*cker whistles like a banshee. Hate.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:58 AM   #17
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

Worst gear that I have bought was the Icon Field Armor Knee/Shin guards. They didn't fit me at all.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:37 PM   #18
Luxodave
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoNinja View Post
Worst gear that I have bought was the Icon Field Armor Knee/Shin guards. They didn't fit me at all.
I have those. My legs are so skinny I have to wear sweats under them.
Luxodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:01 PM   #19
singlecoillover
ninjette.org member

Name: Barak

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja EX250-J Special Edition

Shark S650 Helmet. The thing has terrible aerodynamics. It somehow managed to suck all manner of bugs, dirt, etc... into my eyes. So I fashioned a chin pad out of some cloth and stuffing to alleviate the problem. Unfortunately now the faceshield fogs up really bad. And don't even get me started on how LOUD that thing is. After trying my brothers HJC I realized that the ear numbing jet-blast experience that I had accepted as normal was nothing of the sort. No wonder some people dare to ride without earplugs.

I am currently working really hard to convince my wife to let me get a Shoei.
singlecoillover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #20
dale-j
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans, 2001 ZZR250

Tour Master Elite rain suit. Zipper broke off taking it out of the package.
dale-j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #21
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

My alpinestars GP-pro gloves. Turns out they were the chinese knockoffs that look nearly identical, except for being really really thin. So I went and bought my current best piece of gear: the Held Phantom gloves, things are SO badass.
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #22
fleemos
ninjette.org guru

Name: Darren

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Yamaha FZ6R, 2014 Suzuki GSX-R600

Alpinestars T-Omega Air Flow Jacket. Bought in November and now the glue that holds the velcro on has given way. I tried to glue with some fabric glue and it keeps coming apart. My cheaper Sedici jacket is holding up better.
fleemos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #23
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
Mine was an HJC helmet, which got stolen after I downed my bike for the first time. It felt really heavy and was huge. I don't miss it at all, have a RF-1000 that is 1000x better.

Old April 21st, 2012, 01:13 AM   #24
Kristofferzero
ninjette.org member

Name: Kristoffer

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (sold)

My AFX FX-90 helmet. Other than the front vent breaking from just using it, I read about the founder of AFX admitting the helmets aren't the greatest choice for protection (???). Can't say I feel very safe using it. But I can't really expect more for a $100 helmet I guess, it's my first one.
Kristofferzero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 10:19 AM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Ok I didn't buy this but c'mon

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 10:54 AM   #26
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

I bought a Fieldsheer vest that you soak in water so you can be a lot cooler on hot days. It was the worst waste of $30; it does not work in 100+ degree weather. (Basically, it evaporated so fast it wasn't even funny.)
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 11:11 AM   #27
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Delkevic Knee/shin guards. I chose them to be the worst piece of gear I've ever bought not because of a design flaw or false advertisement on their part but because I nearly lost both my feet due to prolonged blockage of my blood vessels by the straps. I, until very recently, used to wear them together with my alpinestar boots and well, to my chagrin, these guards weren't meant to be worn with race boots and after about a month of wearing them, I started experiencing severe cramps in my legs to the point of making walking a torturous undertaking. All my fault but for all the pain they caused me, they sure as hell deserve the title of THE worst POS gear I've owned so far. (currently awaiting the Icon ones, and hopefully they'll fare much better)
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 11:16 AM   #28
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Lidl (German cheap goods store) waterproof gloves, they had a bit of armour, were warm & actually waterproof but became sweatboxes, the lining came loose stuck to my hands when taking them off & they began to stink.

I worked in a bio lab & there were a few older bikers there who suggested putting them in a biohazard bag & leaving them in the -70 over the weekend, that worked for a while but they began to stink again within a couple of weeks.

Replaced them with a pair of A* Apex drystars which have done 2 winters daily commuting & are still in very good condition, never let in a drop and are reasonably warm (15 miles at 60-85 mph in 1°C (windchill at that speed is -17°C/ 2F) my fingers started to get cold, but that's to be expected
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM   #29
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
There is another thread on most ridiculous gear that some of these would fit well in.

Old April 21st, 2012, 02:35 PM   #30
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofferzero View Post
My AFX FX-90 helmet. Other than the front vent breaking from just using it, I read about the founder of AFX admitting the helmets aren't the greatest choice for protection (???). Can't say I feel very safe using it. But I can't really expect more for a $100 helmet I guess, it's my first one.
I have an FX-90 and I think it's a really good helmet for the price. I haven't crashed in it (yet) and it IS a little bit noisy but I have a difficult time finding a helmet that fits me so I had to settle for it. With ear plugs in it isn't too bad, although I'd much rather get a Scorpion if any of their helmets fit my head shape.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 03:20 PM   #31
Kristofferzero
ninjette.org member

Name: Kristoffer

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Man View Post
I have an FX-90 and I think it's a really good helmet for the price. I haven't crashed in it (yet) and it IS a little bit noisy but I have a difficult time finding a helmet that fits me so I had to settle for it. With ear plugs in it isn't too bad, although I'd much rather get a Scorpion if any of their helmets fit my head shape.
Being it's my only helmet so far I can't really compare it to anything regarding safety and I haven't crashed in it either. I thought the same until I came across this blogger who emailed AFX on DOT safety and the founder admitting his helmets aren't the best for protection. I'm not ignoring the possibility the emails were fake, but it brought a lot doubt into my AFX purchase and DOT safety. This was about a year ago when I just got my bike. I probably should have researched more credible sites because looking into it more now, the FX-90 has the ECE 22.05 rating: "ECE 22.05 criteria will meet the expectations of the motorcycle rider looking for more protection than the standard US DOT certification... ECE 22.05 standards are more in line with the Snell requirements for helmet safety... ECE 22.05 helmets [are] from industry-leading manufacturers such as Arai, Shark, Icon, Nolan and more."

http://www.revzilla.com/ece-2205-motorcycle-helmets

Looks like our cheap purchase was good after all.

I suppose I should research more before making judgments.

A friend of mine bought a Scorpion helmet as his first, they seem really underpriced for the quality.
Kristofferzero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 03:26 PM   #32
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
for my first track day, my kobe suit hadn't shipped yet, so i bought (and promptly returned) a cheapo bilt suit. what a piece of ****! don't buy bilt.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:37 PM   #33
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Fox Racing Titan knee and shin guards. I barely ever use it, and only for the long trips. I lost one of the pieces that holds the straps in, and I'm not too confident it will save my knees if I crash.

Definitely buying motorcycle pants once I save up.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #34
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

My first helmet being the Xpeed XF705 was extremely loud, very unstable at highway speeds and had no ventilation...worst POS for me anyways.

I've got a Shoei RF1100 now, there is literally no comparing them, since shoei is just that good.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #35
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I heard the RF1100 is not that quiet, especially compared to the RF1000 which got replaced by it
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #36
codestp202

Cortech latigo air boots. 150 dollars, supposedly amazing boots but the zippers on both were screwed. Hope my alpinestars dont **** the bed after 10 seconds.

Old April 26th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #37
DevinWolfe
Which pedal is the gas?

Name: Devin

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE

Xelement perforated leather "racing" gloves

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycl...ves/47640.html

I bought these based on them being really cool for summer riding and the really high reviews on the site. Plus, they were cheap and only needed to last until I decided what I really wanted in a glove.

Welp, fast forward to a week into wearing them and the left glove's velcro strap just fell "out" of the seem while cynching it snug, NOT tight, just snug. The right side did the same about 2 weeks into wearing them. The left glove continued to deteriorate even though that hand sat in my lap most of the time while riding my cruiser.

I finally got around to getting decent gloves when I got the Ninjette.

Pic: notice how the left glove has a HOLE where the seem used to be (finger seen underneath) and the palm is coming loose. The right glove (underneath) still has the palm intact and you can see where the stitching is *supposed* to be on the left one.

DevinWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #38
DevinWolfe
Which pedal is the gas?

I guess they figure "that hand doesn't do much, let's save some thread there."

They did feel nice and have good grip, too bad about the poor stitching.

Old April 26th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #39
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
in my case its because I do not need or wear a right glove so the left takes all the wear. When possible I try to shop from the lost and found, its cheaper.
Are you missing a hand or something?

Old April 26th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #40
DevinWolfe
Which pedal is the gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
Are you missing a hand or something?
You must not know his story. Yes. I would recommend checking out his thread(s) as he has "created" a way to continue to ride.

Edit: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=437020

Last futzed with by DevinWolfe; April 26th, 2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Edit : sounded condescending