ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 10th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #241
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
User review from Thailand of the Honda CBR250R. Seems more than capable on the highway up to around 120 kph for a rider about 75kg and 175cm. Confirms what a lot of early magazine reviews have said about the power band. Plenty of low to mid end power but because the single doesn't rev as high, power does tapper of towards the high RPM.

http://www.hondacbr250.com/showthread.php?t=81
This bike is for fun around town over a motor scooter, absolutely not meant for freeways.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #242
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggen View Post
Don't know if you heard, but Honda put up contingency for the 250 in the Southeast region of WERA. Just a matter of time before we can get some track impressions.

Still wish it was the VTR...
Yep, yep. And they are going to allow 250 4 stroke singles in the class now. I really don't know yet how its going to fare in racing. It may be decent powering out of the corners but I have a feeling they are going to have a hard time pulling in the straights against the Kawi's. We will see. I want to see Jeff Tiggert on one of these going against Wes Totsubo on a ninja 250 (now that would be a fun race.)

Old February 10th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #243
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
This bike is for fun around town over a motor scooter, absolutely not meant for freeways.
It's a great city/urban commuter bike and although it's not meant for freeways like you pointed out, early reviews and user feedback suggest that it's more than capable at cruising along at highway speeds of 120 kph and can accelerate up to 130 kph before the power starts to tapper off.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #244
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
User review from Thailand of the Honda CBR250R. Seems more than capable on the highway up to around 120 kph for a rider about 75kg and 175cm. Confirms what a lot of early magazine reviews have said about the power band. Plenty of low to mid end power but because the single doesn't rev as high, power does tapper of towards the high RPM.

http://www.hondacbr250.com/showthread.php?t=81
gets 30 km per liter on 10% ethanol gas. that is the pump gas here too and that is 70.61 mpg

travels at 125 kph no problem at all that is 77 mph

shoots up to 140 kph no problem at all. that is 87 mph

wind is a problem above 130 kph. that is 80 mph.

speeds are read from the speedometer which "feels accurate"
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #245
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledog View Post
wind is a problem above 130 kph. that is 80 mph
The reviewer did say later in that thread that particular day must have been more windy than usual as he hasn't experienced that wind problem again since.

In all, a pretty positive review. Looking forward to having one stop beside me at a red light while I'm on my Ninja this summer

Old February 10th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #246
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

Kick hisazz sea bass/boom heehee _ but be safe.
Posted via Mobile Device
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #247
thaininja
ninjette.org member

Name: allan

Motorcycle(s): Nothing at the moment

One thing to remember is that the CBR250 engine is Honda's base for the new MOTO3 class taking over from the 125 2strokes in GP racing. So there will be plenty of aftermarket goodies and upgrades soon. The Ninja will beat the Cbr on outright speed but the Cbr will beat the Ninja up to 90kmh.

And the riding position and seat is FAR more comfortable than the Ninja.

Each have their own place in the grand scheme of things.

Oh and that article from Motousa was sooooo bogus. Having ridden the Abs bike there is NO WAY that you will bottom the front forks by using just the rear (linked brakes) the front does dip but it's not bad. and if you just use the rear brake with a light touch for control through traffic it does not even activate the linking.
thaininja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #248
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Ninja 250 vs CBR250R article

Check out this article. The Ninja is still the better bike, but it's a cool article with some great info - check it out if you haven't already.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/9134...inja-250R.aspx
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #249
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Makes me feel good about my choice of race bike.

Old February 25th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #250
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged with main CBR250 thread

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #251
insightt47
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010

cbr250 all the way!
insightt47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #252
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Well, the "first ride" articles are starting to show up in the cycle mags and I'm surprised at how much good press this bike is getting. I figured with it being a thumper the reviews would be along the lines of "another 250...yawn", but even seasoned bike reviewers are loving this bike.
My dealer says he expects to get them in mid-April, only a month or so away. You can bet I'll be waiting at his front door the day they come in and hoping we don't see the scarcity we saw with the '08 Ninja when it was redone. I only got one of those because I bought mine the first week they were available, so I'm hoping everyone around here waits until there's actually some decent riding weather around here before their thoughts turn to the new CBR250R.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #253
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Perused the latest issue of Sportrider at a newsstand and it has a three-way shootout with the Honda, Ninja, and Hyosung 250s. Guess which one they liked the best?

Hint: On the highway, the Honda was the lowest on power and felt like it was running out of steam over 60mph.

Old April 5th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #254
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Was driving on the highway in Connecticut the other day and saw a full sized billboard for the CBR250R.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #255
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Perused the latest issue of Sportrider at a newsstand and it has a three-way shootout with the Honda, Ninja, and Hyosung 250s. Guess which one they liked the best?

Hint: On the highway, the Honda was the lowest on power and felt like it was running out of steam over 60mph.
Really? That sure wasn't the opinion in the latest "250 shoot out" in Cycle World or the latest review in MotorCyclist. Most of the half-dozen online reviews I've read in the last week are of the opinion it's quite capable on the highway also. A couple of them went out of their way to disprove the pre-concieved notions that the CBR250R is that much less capable than the Ninjette at high speeds because of the single cylinder. The test riders of course always mention that the Ninjette's twin has a faster top speed, but neither bike is exactly what you'd buy if you did all your riding on the freeway.
I think I've ridden my Ninjette on the highway exactly once in the 2+ years I've owned it and I didn't particularly enjoy the experience. While it's certainly possible to use either bike as a short-haul freeway commuter, if my daily commute involved highway riding I'd opt for at least a 600cc.
Luckily almost all of my riding is recreational on two-lane back roads and the CBR250R seems to stack up pretty evenly with the Ninjette in that department and the glowing reviews of it's EFI and lack of carb stumbling when getting underway more than make up for any shortcomings on the highway, IMO.
After reading the almost unanimous praise for the fit & finish, improvements in single-cylinder engine design, the much-improved smoothness of the ride due to the counterbalancer, the availability of a good ABS system for only another $500 as well as a host of other small but noticeable improvements Honda is dishing up, I'm pretty much sold on it. In fact I spoke to the local Honda dealer yesterday to check availability of a Metallic Black ABS-equipped CBR250R yesterday expecting to hear they were sold out of their first shipments. Instead I was told the first ABS models were due in May and I was invited to drop by and put down a deposit on one. And that's exactly what I'll be doing this afternoon.

Old April 6th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #256
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Really? That sure wasn't the opinion in the latest "250 shoot out" in Cycle World or the latest review in MotorCyclist. Most of the half-dozen online reviews I've read in the last week are of the opinion it's quite capable on the highway also. A couple of them went out of their way to disprove the pre-concieved notions that the CBR250R is that much less capable than the Ninjette at high speeds because of the single cylinder. The test riders of course always mention that the Ninjette's twin has a faster top speed, but neither bike is exactly what you'd buy if you did all your riding on the freeway.
I think I've ridden my Ninjette on the highway exactly once in the 2+ years I've owned it and I didn't particularly enjoy the experience. While it's certainly possible to use either bike as a short-haul freeway commuter, if my daily commute involved highway riding I'd opt for at least a 600cc.
Luckily almost all of my riding is recreational on two-lane back roads and the CBR250R seems to stack up pretty evenly with the Ninjette in that department and the glowing reviews of it's EFI and lack of carb stumbling when getting underway more than make up for any shortcomings on the highway, IMO.
After reading the almost unanimous praise for the fit & finish, improvements in single-cylinder engine design, the much-improved smoothness of the ride due to the counterbalancer, the availability of a good ABS system for only another $500 as well as a host of other small but noticeable improvements Honda is dishing up, I'm pretty much sold on it. In fact I spoke to the local Honda dealer yesterday to check availability of a Metallic Black ABS-equipped CBR250R yesterday expecting to hear they were sold out of their first shipments. Instead I was told the first ABS models were due in May and I was invited to drop by and put down a deposit on one. And that's exactly what I'll be doing this afternoon.

Have you rode one ? I have it shakes bad and the abs is sucks. Ride the honda and you will find its not what you think it is.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #257
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Have you rode one ? I have it shakes bad and the abs is sucks. Ride the honda and you will find its not what you think it is.
how did you manage to get to ride one?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #258
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
how did you manage to get to ride one?
Cousin is a sales rep for honda.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #259
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
Really?......... I think I've ridden my Ninjette on the highway exactly once in the 2+ years I've owned it and I didn't particularly enjoy the experience.....
Just reporting what I read

I have had my 2005 on the highway many times in typical 70-75 mph traffic. The only time power was an issue was going uphill into a 10-15 mph headwind, with saddle bags (WOT and laying on the tank). The rest of the time it was easy to keep up with the traffic flow and never had any problems passing. It just took a wee bit of planning.

If you get one please post up your report

Old April 11th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #260
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

I've taken the plunge. Went to the dealership this weekend and put a $300 deposit down on a Black Metallic ABS-equipped CBR250R. According to the dealer although the non-ABS models will be released this month, the first ABS-equipped models won't be arriving at dealerships until sometime in May.

A couple of things struck me as interesting while I was talking to the sales staff. First of all they charged me exactly the MSRP of $4499 for the bike, with only a couple of hundred tacked on for freight and dealer prep charges. I kept looking for hidden charges, but they just weren't there.
Secondly, I found out that the CBR250R is being severely allocated. At least the initial shipments. My dealer said they ordered 15 of the non-ABS models and they are receiving exactly ONE this month.
They also told me that although they are getting dozens of calls about this bike, I was the first person to actually come in and put a deposit on one, which means I'll probably get one of only a very few ABS-equipped models they get for a while.
This is the same way I purchsed my '08 Ninja. I went to the dealer a week before they were due in and put a deposit down and was riding my Ninjette when everyone was lamenting the price gouging and lack of availability for the rest of the summer. I think the CBR250R could be even scarcer than the '08 Ninja was that first year if what I heard at the dealer is any indication.
Obviously the lesson here is to act now and secure one of these with a deposit to have any hope of riding one this year.

Old April 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #261
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Congrats TrueFaith! After you get it please post some pics and your opinion of it.

slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #262
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

Enjoy the bike!
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #263
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

The May issue of Motorcyclist includes an editorial by James Parker called "250 Renaissance", in which he opines that the introduction or the Honda CBR250, along with the new Moto3 rules which require MotoGP to run 250cc singles, will see racebike developments filter down to the streetbike level in a few years.

Maybe we should wait before we all rush out and buy a Honda CBR250.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #264
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
I've taken the plunge. Went to the dealership this weekend and put a $300 deposit down on a Black Metallic ABS-equipped CBR250R. According to the dealer although the non-ABS models will be released this month, the first ABS-equipped models won't be arriving at dealerships until sometime in May.

A couple of things struck me as interesting while I was talking to the sales staff. First of all they charged me exactly the MSRP of $4499 for the bike, with only a couple of hundred tacked on for freight and dealer prep charges. I kept looking for hidden charges, but they just weren't there.
Secondly, I found out that the CBR250R is being severely allocated. At least the initial shipments. My dealer said they ordered 15 of the non-ABS models and they are receiving exactly ONE this month.
They also told me that although they are getting dozens of calls about this bike, I was the first person to actually come in and put a deposit on one, which means I'll probably get one of only a very few ABS-equipped models they get for a while.
This is the same way I purchsed my '08 Ninja. I went to the dealer a week before they were due in and put a deposit down and was riding my Ninjette when everyone was lamenting the price gouging and lack of availability for the rest of the summer. I think the CBR250R could be even scarcer than the '08 Ninja was that first year if what I heard at the dealer is any indication.
Obviously the lesson here is to act now and secure one of these with a deposit to have any hope of riding one this year.
Congrats. I wonder if the situation in Japan is a factor on the allocations, even if the bike is made in Thailand?? My dealer tells me some manufacturers are limiting parts orders to avoid hoarding by dealers.

Old April 25th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #265
kkim

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old April 25th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #266
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Good video. No BS.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #267
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Not sure how relevant it is to US riders. I assume the Ninja 250 in that shootout video has FI since the CBR250R is a foreign-only color scheme and it obviously wasn't shot in the US.

Old April 26th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #268
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Quote:
Not sure how relevant it is to US riders. I assume the Ninja 250 in that shootout video has FI since the CBR250R is a foreign-only color scheme and it obviously wasn't shot in the US.
Meh, still relevant IMO when looking at the bigger picture. I doubt the FI vs carb design makes that huge of difference in overall riding feel and the essence of the Ninja 250R. Although the conclusion in this video was ultimately subjective, the objective points that were raised aren't that much different from the North American shoot-outs between the Ninja and CBR. FI or not, it doesn't change the fact that the review pointed how the Ninja feels more planted on the road or the brake performance for example. Don't also forget that this video mentioned a big plus for the CBR being cheaper than the Ninja which is not particularly the case in the US of A. Really, both bikes are fine machines.

Old May 12th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #269
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I just got back from a ride to nice little honda / yamaha dealer nearby. I walked in just looking around getting ideas for stuff to do to my bike and checking out the other bikes. I noticed a cbr250, went over and began looking at it. I inspected it and compared it to my 250 as far as comfort and looks. I still think the cbr250 is ugly, but the only thing I could find that was much better than my 250 was the shape of the gas tank. The shape is suited for a much larger variety of people; the 250's tank shape sorta sucks imo, I didn't realize this until I sat on the other bikes there. The cbr250's (cbr600rr's too) tank has large indents on the sides for your legs to hug the tank, on my ninja my legs hit the tank right at the edge where the side fairings drop down and it's no where near as comfortable.

Old May 12th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #270
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Well folks, I'm no longer a Ninja 250R owner. I traded in my '08 Ninjette this afternoon and picked up my new Honda CBR250R. I had ordered the ABS version, but out of 30 bikes the dealership had ordered only ONE non-ABS model arrived and the ABS models are delayed indefinately. As luck would have it I stopped by the dealership the day they were unloading their ONE bike and I transferred my deposit to that bike as quick as I could. Pretty amazing considering it's one of Central Massachusetts largest motorcycle dealers. The salesmen are all in shock over there. Honda's ad campaign is peaking and interest is off the chart yet nobody can get the bikes. They got 3 phone inquiries just while I was filling out the paperwork.
I'm not going to infer that the Honda is a better bike, but based on the ride home it definately suits me better. I'm still trying to figure out how it manages to look bigger than the Ninja250 with a shorter wheelbase, but it definately does look and feel bigger than the Ninjette.The seat feels roomier and flatter (no crotch diving into the gas tank) and I feel like I have a LOT more legroom.
Biggest surprise was the low-end torque. I knew this single was torquey, but WOW. Starts from dead stop are effortless and low-speed manuvering is superb. The tranny shifts like butta with the easiest clutch engagement of any bike I've owned. Oh...and I can finally see what's behind me for a change!
The only negatives I can report are that the Ninja250's twin definately sounds better than Honda's single and the digital speedo is going to take some getting used to. I'm not "trading in" Ninjette.org even though I'm riding a different brand now though. I've learned too much here in the past few years from Kelly, Alex and all you great tech heads and quarter-liter bike lovers to stop picking your brains now.

Old May 12th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #271
kkim

Enjoy your new bike, Wayne. Looks great.

Hint... don't go riding w/ CC anytime soon.

Old May 12th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #272
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Is that a pinch-bolt on the left fork only? If so, strange only to have it on one side, and it looks a bit large.....
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #273
JeffM
Mr. 988

Looks good in black. Enjoy your new ride and tell us more as you put on more miles.

I keep popping into the local Honda dealer hoping to see one and have a closer look. No luck yet. Funny you say it looks bigger in person. I thought it looked smaller in most of the comparison photos.

Jeff

Old May 13th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #274
Indy250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 KTM 990 ADV

I'm with Jeff, that looks great in black, better than the red IMO.

Congrats on the new bike!
Indy250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #275
MrBrownTX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brown

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja EX250

When I first saw a red and white one I thought it was butt ugly, but the black looks like a different bike to me, very nice.
MrBrownTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #276
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Enjoy your new bike, Wayne. Looks great.

Hint... don't go riding w/ CC anytime soon.
Thanks Kelly. I couldn't keep up with CC on this one-lunger if I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Looks good in black. Enjoy your new ride and tell us more as you put on more miles.

I keep popping into the local Honda dealer hoping to see one and have a closer look. No luck yet. Funny you say it looks bigger in person. I thought it looked smaller in most of the comparison photos.

Jeff
It's a strange phenomenon, because I though it looked smaller in all the pictures I saw too. It looks much different in person. The handlebars and gas tank are an inch or two higher than the Ninja's and those extra inches make a huge difference for someone my size (6'). As I was riding the bike for only the second time yesterday I was marvelling the entire time how good the bike felt under me. My arms and legs seemed perfectly positioned with no pressure points or the slightest hint of being cramped. The saddle is roomy, easy to move around on and extremely comfortable. It's weird, but when I was riding my Ninja it sometimes felt cramped and small, but I don't feel like I'm riding a 250 with this much room to stretch out. I still haven't figured out how thay manage it with a smaller wheelbase than the Ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrownTX View Post
When I first saw a red and white one I thought it was butt ugly, but the black looks like a different bike to me, very nice.
I figure black goes with anything and since my Ninja was black too I don't have to replace all my gear.
I wasn't impressed with the red one either. Looked too much like a VFR. Well at least there isn't a green one or someone here would probably claim it's faster.

I'm finding that the single has quite a bit of "personality" and the low-end torque is awesome for pulling you out of a bad line. The whole package just inspires confidence and promotes the enjoyment of riding. Honda's got a real winner here.

That said, I don't think a whole lot of current Ninja250 owners are going to make the switch like I did. While the exhaust has a nice throaty growl at 6000rpm, below that it sounds very much like a big lawnmower. I don't think a lot of Ninja owners are going to give up their twins for this single. In my case it makes sense just for the improved seating position and ergonomics because of my height. I can live with the engine noise if the trade-off is more torque, but the Ninjette is a great bike and if it fits you then you're probably going to stick with it.

Old May 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #277
backinthesaddleagain

Looks awesome Wayne. Keep us posted on your thoughts of it as you get some miles on it.

Old May 16th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #278
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Looks awesome Wayne. Keep us posted on your thoughts of it as you get some miles on it.
You bet. My first impression after 70 miles on it is that this is the perfect "beginner" bike, even more so than the Ninjette. The bike is so responsive at low speed it truly inspires confidence and does nothing unpredictable. Add the ABS option and it's the best starter bike out there.

I think gear heads and experienced small bike enthusiasts will still gravitate to the Ninjette. It's got a great engine that's easy to wrench and has a ton of proven mods to choose from already.

I always thought modding your bike meant that you would get less at trade-in time since it had been "personalized" and most buyers want a stock machine. The owner was so impressed after taking my Ninjette for a spin that he actually offered me several hundred dollars more than we had discussed a week earlier - before he actually rode my Ninja.

Old May 16th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #279
backinthesaddleagain

Kudos on the several hundred more for trade - way to go!

Old May 16th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #280
JeffM
Mr. 988

Caught on Killboy: