ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old March 26th, 2019, 02:32 AM   #1
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Someone hit my parked 250 (dealing with their insurance)

I’ve never gone through this before fortunately, but so far so good. And props to the lady for admitting fault and giving me her insurance info! Anyone else would’ve left. Lady backed into the right side of my ‘06 250 laying it down on its left side. She contacted the full muzzy exhaust that was on there two summers ago when I bought it. There is also damage to the clutch. An adjuster is on the case now but I have a few fears.
1. Will they have to replace the muzzy exhaust? It’s damaged beyond repair but I am wondering if insurance companies are willing to replace these aftermarket exhausts? I mean, I think they should because had she not hit my bike I wouldn’t be without it, but knowing my luck....
2. I want my bike fixed by the best place there is around with certified mechanics. Do I have to accept the adjusters initial compensation amount? I would rather wait until the shop gives the estimate and then accept. There was also some damage to the upper headlight fairing so that might need replaced too and you all know that plastics especially on a 2006 can get expensive to replace.

Any and all advice would be sooo appreciative. They did give me a rental car though!

Old March 26th, 2019, 04:35 AM   #2
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

Take it to a shop of your choice and get an estimate for what you want.
Then you have a negotiating point.
Dealing with an insurance company can be tiring, but that is how they want it to be. Your job is to get the best deal and they want to find any excuses to not pay.

I have had several run-ins with insurance companies. Check with your state to find if they have anything like New Jersey’s “Commission on Banking and Insurance.” These guys will put the fear into an insurance company who is trying to go cheap. I had a flood totaled H2. With the help of the Commission I got an additional $8,000.00 dollars. Allstate fought tooth and nail for 3 months until I found the Commission. They rolled over in less then 4 hours once contacted by the Commission advocate who demanded a fair settlement (what I have been asking for all along). Allstate figured they had me over a barrel. How many folks can go out and buy a new car without the setttlement money? What they did not know was I had them over a barrel.

By the way I dumped Allstate and went with Geico for 2 cars, 1 Class A Motorhome, 3 motorcycles, 2 boats and the house. Allstate lost a lot more than I did.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2019, 06:13 AM   #3
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Racer View Post
Dealing with an insurance company can be tiring, but that is how they want it to be. Your job is to get the best deal and they want to find any excuses to not pay.

I have had several run-ins with insurance companies. Check with your state to find if they have anything like New Jersey’s “Commission on Banking and Insurance.” These guys will put the fear into an insurance company who is trying to go cheap. I had a flood totaled H2. With the help of the Commission I got an additional $8,000.00 dollars. Allstate fought tooth and nail for 3 months until I found the Commission. They rolled over in less then 4 hours once contacted by the Commission advocate who demanded a fair settlement (what I have been asking for all along). Allstate figured they had me over a barrel. How many folks can go out and buy a new car without the setttlement money? What they did not know was I had them over a barrel.

By the way I dumped Allstate and went with Geico for 2 cars, 1 Class A Motorhome, 3 motorcycles, 2 boats and the house. Allstate lost a lot more than I did.
Thanks so much for the advice and I’ll be sure to look it up! Yes I want the work done where I feel it’s going to be done best and right. My bike was a beautiful looking and riding bike until she hit it. So I want it back just like that. Could be taking it to the shop today if the ins company gives the go ahead. Her ins co is American Family but I too have recently switched my truck and bike over to Geico because Progressive was ripping me off! Go figure, pretty sure Allstate and Progressive are related. Only cost me $99/yr for my bike to be covered now. Thanks for the tips I’ll be sure to stand my ground.
People think because motorcycles are so cheap to buy that they’re so cheap to fix. That’s not always the case!

Old March 26th, 2019, 06:29 AM   #4
dodgerdad
ninjette.org guru

Name: Hector

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Just remember the insurance company needs to make you "whole". They'll probably want to replace the exhaust with stock, but that's not what you had. I'd print up any listings for a muzzy that you may come across, regardless of price and location in case you need it to establish a replacement COST (as opposed to value) since you can't just order a new one from a shop.

8 years ago my family and my parents lost our homes to a wildfire the same night. I handled our claim and my parents as well since they were retired. I called 4-5 times per week on EACH claim and the runaround they gave me would make your head spin. It truly became a part-time job for me. Our claims were settled pretty "quickly", we were paid out in exactly 14 months to the day.

It's you verses them protecting their pocket, just no nice way to sugarcoat it. My advice: don't let them bully you around and stay persistent.

Old March 26th, 2019, 07:48 AM   #5
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerdad View Post
Just remember the insurance company needs to make you "whole". They'll probably want to replace the exhaust with stock, but that's not what you had. I'd print up any listings for a muzzy that you may come across, regardless of price and location in case you need it to establish a replacement COST (as opposed to value) since you can't just order a new one from a shop.

8 years ago my family and my parents lost our homes to a wildfire the same night. I handled our claim and my parents as well since they were retired. I called 4-5 times per week on EACH claim and the runaround they gave me would make your head spin. It truly became a part-time job for me. Our claims were settled pretty "quickly", we were paid out in exactly 14 months to the day.

It's you verses them protecting their pocket, just no nice way to sugarcoat it. My advice: don't let them bully you around and stay persistent.
Thank you so much! Being a female I also feel like I have to be double pushy and guarded lol. So far they’ve been very nice but they’ve not yet talked figured so there isn’t any need to get ugly. I’m sure things could change once they give me their price vs the shops price. I will take heed when it comes to everything you guys have said. Yeah, I don’t want a stock exhaust, one of the reasons I love my bike so much is that I got it at an excellent price and the exhaust was professionally installed by a reputable company. I found a listing for a new one just like mine and it’s about $500 alone. Plus we all know that the upper headlight fairing will have to be ordered from Kawasaki and that alone is gonna be costly. Not to mention the clutch, the forks I suspect are messed up as the bike now feels out of alignment slightly. Not sure if it’s the forks or handlebar damage. But that’s why I’m taking it to professionals not some fly-by-night that owns a garage I’m taking it to the Honda/Suzuki dealership down from my house they said they do in fact work on Kawasaki. And they are certified mechanics. My dear “Lucy” has been so good to me, I want her to have the best in return. It’s funny, when the lady walked into the building where I work to inform me she knocked my bike over by backing into it, I was immediately upset but didn’t say anything. However when I came outside and seen my bike laying on the ground I ripped the gloves off my hand (I’m a nurse) and slammed them down on the concrete in the parking lot. I heard a supervisor say “AJ don’t throw the gloves down in the parking lot, I know you’re upset but....”.
I turned around and gave her a look. But wanted to say “F-YOU!”. Even the cop who did the police report acted like I was wasting his time because it was a motorcycle! Feel like I would’ve gotten more respect had it been my Expedition. People don’t understand the relationship that develops between motorcycle and rider. I’m sure you all know where I’m coming from. Again, thanks so much, you have alleviated a lot of my anxieties for sure!

Old March 26th, 2019, 10:24 AM   #6
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Check if your own insurance or AAA etc includes legal expenses cover &/or legal advice. If it does, then use it it’s free ! Having an adjuster deal with a legal eagle will always improve their offer ! Just make sure your side have all the facts & the true replacement cost, if you want your bike repaired properly.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2019, 05:22 AM   #7
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Kawasaki has limited stock of pre 2007 fairings and parts.

What color is your bike? I have a full set of lime green plastics hanging in the garage.

Based on the age of your bike and the damage they will probably total it. It's only a $2,000 bike. The upper Cowling Assembly is $754, if they have it in stock. If your Muzzy exhaust is $500 you are already over half the value of your bike and that's just parts, no labor to install them.

Depending on your state laws, even if they can find the parts to fix it you may end up with a salvage title.

In short, I'd be surprised if they fix your bike, they will probably offer you a payoff to total it. In which case you may be able to take a reduced payoff and keep the bike.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2019, 07:59 AM   #8
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Racer View Post

Would this be something similar to Jersey’s Commission on banking and insurance?
The reason I ask is because of course they’re leaning towards saying itsna total loss and that is BS. I got pretty mad at the guy. So my bike is worth about $1900 via KBB they said they’d take the exhaust into consideration too but is a $2000 check gonna cover things? I even let it slip that I was going to hire a lawyer. Lol. Ugh they disgust me.
https://www2.illinois.gov/agencies/DOI

Old March 28th, 2019, 08:03 AM   #9
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Kawasaki has limited stock of pre 2007 fairings and parts.

What color is your bike? I have a full set of lime green plastics hanging in the garage.

Based on the age of your bike and the damage they will probably total it. It's only a $2,000 bike. The upper Cowling Assembly is $754, if they have it in stock. If your Muzzy exhaust is $500 you are already over half the value of your bike and that's just parts, no labor to install them.

Depending on your state laws, even if they can find the parts to fix it you may end up with a salvage title.

In short, I'd be surprised if they fix your bike, they will probably offer you a payoff to total it. In which case you may be able to take a reduced payoff and keep the bike.
Yeah I’m not gonna roll over like that. Kawasaki has plenty of blue 2006 upper headlight fairings. I just got off the phone with them. $389 shipped. Thanks, wish she was green it seems there’s definitely more parts for the green.

Old March 28th, 2019, 10:33 AM   #10
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Yeah I’m not gonna roll over like that. Kawasaki has plenty of blue 2006 upper headlight fairings. I just got off the phone with them. $389 shipped. Thanks, wish she was green it seems there’s definitely more parts for the green.
They must have made some more. When I was looking for them a couple of years ago many colors were out of stock, then again I wasn't looking for Blue. Wanted Black or Red.

That price brings it back down into the fixable range.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2019, 04:10 PM   #11
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I'd suggest looking into the legalities of totaling it out in your state. In some places, if you total it out and buy it back yourself, it keeps its regular title. Depending on those details and how much the payout is, you could come out ahead.

It's not what you want to hear, but collision insurance is a business. Whether or not they total it out comes down to a simple math problem comparing the value and the repair cost.

https://www.insure.com/car-insurance/car-totaling.html
Quote:
When you buy a car insurance policy, you sign a contract that states that you can't force your insurer to pay out more than your car is worth. On the other hand, most states require insurance companies to follow the "made whole" doctrine, meaning you should be restored to the same financial position you were in prior to the accident.

If your car is declared a total loss but you want to have it repaired anyway, you should be able to retain it. Can your insurer decide to total your car despite your protests?

In some cases, your insurer will work with you if you "elect to retain salvage" in accordance with their policy language and state law.

Your insurer still has to pay you the car's actual cash value, minus the deductible and minus what the company would have gotten for it at the salvage yard. If you want to keep the car, you should alert your claims adjuster and insurance company right away. You're then going to have to pay for the repairs yourself.
https://www.carinsurance.com/Article...hresholds.aspx has similar info.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Last futzed with by InvisiBill; March 30th, 2019 at 07:25 AM.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2019, 07:02 AM   #12
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

Sounds like something similar to NJ.

The folks in NJ take your written complaint, together with your over the phone interview, and they talk to the insurance company.

All I know is within hours after “my advocate “ had a conversation with Allstate, Allstate was on the phone begging for a settlement. All they wanted was to get a settlement. Within a 24 hours we agreed. Or should I say they gave me what I asked for. In a day or so “my advocate “ called to see If i had the Settlement check. I said I was traveling and could not send them the title. “My advocate” said do not send the title until I got paid. Allstate asked for the title up front.

Within the hour Allstate was on the phone saying they were sending me a check by FedX, plus another $250 dollars for retained property, a couple of CD’s. This was on a Friday. Saturday morning the FedX truck pulled up with the envelope.

I can’t say how thankful I was for the assistance of a government agency especially in New Jersey. These guys were just outstanding.

Good luck
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote