NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Sierra Adventure part Deux 10/6/2013

Howdy,

Ok, seriously last minute but hey.

@tfkrocks and I are going riding this sunday (If on Saturday i don't hurt myself on the track and she doesn't hurt herself on the dirt) and we're going to explore some roads i was introduced too not to long ago.

Here's the route, though google missed the road i'll be taking from Volcano to Omo Ranch Rd, but otherwise this is it.

Only 250-odd miles, so maybe about 6.5-7 hours ish. Meeting at the Chevron on the corner of Hwy 49 and Ridge Rd in Sutter Creek at 10am on Sunday October 6th. Ending the ride in Sonora.

Weather looks like it'll be clear with a high in the low 70's.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:54 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
If anyone from the Bay Area wants to go, we can ride up there together.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #3
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

aw man, any other sunday...
will there be a part 3?
anacron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
As long as Ma Nature plays nice, sure.

Still might be a plan to go up to CA 36 again or just bop around the mountain roads. Just going to have to take into account snow closures and CalTrans shutting roads down.

I have a heated jacket that I am in LOVE with so as long as there is traction, i am riding.

Old October 4th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #5
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I'm sure there will be riding come springtime I will ride CA-36 eventually!

Old October 4th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #6
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Tfk too bad it's an afm race weekend. We could just stay up in sac at a friends place.

I'm out. I'm racing flat track Sunday. Unless Teri wants to make a super long trip and swing by the ukiah fairgrounds. I should be winning a trophy around 3:30 or 4 lol.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #7
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Ride report will come later but today was awesome fun! (At least for me, i do hope @tfkrocks feels the same.) Lots of twisties, beautiful weather though COLD in the morning, and from Carson to Carson 590 miles added onto the bike. Twas a long day for me, but one i completely enjoyed.

Though i promise any future plans will definitely be on a Saturday.

Old October 7th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #8
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I was so tired. I got home and passed out right away haha.

Old October 7th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #9
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
You ain't the only one. I made it to Carson before exhaustion hit. Left the bike there and got a ride home. Definitely got my sleep last night!

Old October 8th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #10
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
A few days ago, I get a text: "Hey want to go riding?"

Sure, but trackday is on Saturday so let's make it Sunday and what the heck, let's explore some new roads I've been introduced to. With the route made up and the time figured so where i would be home at a somewhat decent time, the plan is set.

Though it did come after a trackday where I really tried pushing my skill just a bit and came out far smoother and faster than I had been all year. Get home, have dinner, and get ready for a way to early wake up call. Oh and yeah its winter (to me), which means its cold and dark in the morning. So, now I am bundled up, sore from yesterday, and heading out on a three hour ride to Sutter Creek.

I took Carson Pass which led me through Hope Valley and all the trees were turning a bright yellow and orange. Seeing that in the morning light was really pretty and definitely lifted my spirits away from the gloom of riding when it was so cold. Met @tkfrocks in Sutter Creek and we were off towards Volcano. Found a nifty little wiggly road that cut between the main roads and dropped right into town. The turn to Volcano is on Church Street and if you aren't looking for it you'll miss it.

The Sutter Creek-Volcano road winds along the creek bed and has a lot of nice twists and turns with a few sharp angles to keep you on your toes. The trees overhang the road providing shade in warmer months and an interesting strobe effect when the sun is shining through them. Didn't see any critters, but the first time down there we saw deer on the side of the road, so keep an eye out. Made it easily to Volcano and took the Rams Horn Grade road out.

Another mildly twisty road that just curves along the terrain. The one is more open but still a thousand times better than taking a highway. Very little traffic was out and the temps were beginning to warm up a bit - at least my fingers weren't falling off.

Got back onto 88 and had to watch my GPS for the turn to Omo Ranch Rd, it is easy to miss unless you are watching for it. The short segment on Omo Ranch is just a mountain road, but with some nice sweepers. Careful on one of the first ones as it tightens up on you rather quickly. For those that saw a prior report, this is the road the mini van came out of a side street and into my lane so I was on heightened alert as we came to North South Road. Short break to drop gear and grab a snack before we headed down the mountain.

This road is a narrow twisty one lane potholed tar snaked patchwork of asphalt and oh boy is it fun! The corners are tight and the trees make seeing ahead difficult but it does lend itself to maintaining a steady pace as you head down. Very little traffic down here today, few spots where gravel and dirt have covered parts of the road, but all in all a fun ride. This road winds it way to. Mormon Emigrant Trail/Iron Mountain Rd where you are dead smack in the middle between two highways.

Another short break and then we continued on to Silver Fork Rd, another one where you need to watch for the sign telling you where to go. Silver Fork is similar to North South, twisty, one lane, no paint, and a composite of various repairs over the years. Mid way down you'll see a sign for Highway 50 via Pack Saddle Pass Road. i've been told that unless you have a dual sport's clearance don't even bother. Course I was riding with a bunch of road boat Harley's, so maybe one day, I'll see how bad it really is. This road is one of the few mountain roads i've seen that has curbing and eventually we even found paint marking the lanes. Wow! The end of the road is in Kyburz on Hwy 50 and be warned, the turn to the east bound lane is sharp and uphill so approach it wide or better het, drive out into the pull off and safely make a u-turn to position the bike correctly.

Headed up Hwy 50 and grabbed a lunch in Meyers at a restaurant I hadn't been to before. Food was good and prices were average for a non fast food place (I had a teriyaki chicken sandwich with fries and a drink for $12). Weather had even turned into a very nice day so we sat outside and ate.

Dropped down through Christmas Valley to head over Luther Pass and was once again in the colorful trees of Hope Valley. We turned to go down 89, which is a great sweeping road along the river - if you aren't stuck behind someone who is more enjoying the scenery. Thankfully they pulled over as we began the climb up Monitor Pass. Personally, Monitor is my favorite pass in the area, fantastic motorcycle road that lends itself to an easy cruise with great vistas or a technical twisty route when you want to crank up the speed. I really did try to keep Rebecca in my mirrors as I hit the curves.

Ugh, 395....... Though there is a GREAT BBQ place in Walker, highly recommend it. Just follow your nose as the smoker is outside by the patio.

Ok! We turned onto Hwy 108 at Sonora Junction and cruised up the valley past the Marine facility. No choppers out today but we did pass several trucks with Marines heading out and in from whatever they were training on. I've been on Sonora Pass once before, heading east, and BY FAR the west bound route was more fun. Its a steep climb to the summit of 9,600-odd feet - signs were warning about the 26% grade! But dropping down into the canyon was absolutely beautiful! The sun was still hitting the tops of the canyon, the evergreens had patches of gold aspens, and the view was perfect. Plus there were some nice switchbacks leading downward.

Pulled into East Sonora to gas up and check my GPS since I was somehow lost and forgot how to get on Hwy 49. A quick GPS/Google check got us back on track and we headed out. Parted ways just outside Angel's Camp and I continued north along 49 to 50 and back over the mountain again via Echo Summit.

Placerville is where the exhaustion and dehydration hit me so my ride was very slow getting back. But in the end i had about 590 miles added onto today in about 16 hours. Made it home safe and sound so this weekend was definitely a success!

Oh, yeah, i do plan on a part three. It will be on a Saturday though to not have anyone make it back too late before work on Monday.

Final route for me:

This part of the weekend begins at 4:04.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by NevadaWolf; October 8th, 2013 at 01:47 PM.

Old October 26th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
@Alex, would you be kind enough to bump this over to the Ride Reports? Thanks!!