Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Forum Information

Notices

Old August 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #1
ninjaadmin
Administrator

Name: ninja

Motorcycle(s): computer-generated

Added some new domains

Figured if I was in this for the long haul, it made sense to have a decent collection of ninjette and ninja250 domains all bringing folks back to ninjette.org. So if any of the below catch your fancy, give 'em a shot and they should all bring you right back here...

www.kawasakininja250.org
www.kawasakininja250forum.com
www.kawininja250.com
www.kawininjette.com
www.mybabyninja.com
www.myninja250.com
www.myninja250.net
www.myninja250.org
www.myninjette.com
www.myninjette.net
www.myninjette.org
www.ninjette.net
www.ninjette.org <--- Primary Domain
www.ninjette250.com
www.ninjette250.net
www.ninjette250.org
www.ninjette250r.com
www.ninjette250r.net
www.ninjette250r.org
www.theninjette.com
www.theninjette.net
www.theninjette.org

If I've forgotten any other obvious ones, let me know and I'll try and grab them for this site as well, but some of the ones that come to mind have been snapped up by other kawasaki forums or by domain speculators.

Last futzed with by Alex; January 23rd, 2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added some more domains
ninjaadmin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #2
ninjaadmin
Administrator

Name: ninja

Motorcycle(s): computer-generated

Ninjette.org email accounts

BTW -

If anyone wants a Ninjette-related email address (anything (at) ninjette.org), or any of the other domains above, just let me know and I can set one up for you immediately (for free). It would be a forwarding account that would immediately push any incoming mail to whichever "real" email account you're using now.

Old December 9th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #3
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

Did you get a volume discount? Cheap little Japanese bike domains on sale?
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #5
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaadmin View Post
Figured if I was in this for the long haul, it made sense to have a decent collection of ninjette and ninja250 domains all bringing folks back to ninjette.org. So if any of the below catch your fancy, give 'em a shot and they should all bring you right back here...
Have you considered using those alternate domains as aliases instead of redirects? That way it can always say ANY of those domains in the URL of my addressbar based on the one that I choose.

If not, redirects are good!

It doesn't really matter, but some people don't like Ninjette. But I say piss on them, its your name, its your site, have it YOUR way!
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Duck -

I actually first configured them all as aliases, then changed them to redirects. Either way it's just a click, so it's no trouble either way.

The problem with aliases is that the login cookies are tied to the URL. So if someone logs in at ninjette.org, then they come in at ninjette.net, or kawininja250.com, they will not be logged in and will have to re-login. Perhaps that's not much of an issue, if someone finds one main URL they like, they'd probably keep using that one anyhow, and the cookie would stay with them.

With redirects, everyone gets pushed to the same URL so the cookies are guaranteed to work each time. Which means way fewer password resets as people try and remember whichever password they used when they first signed up.

No skin off my nose either way, so maybe I'll change 'em back for awhile and see how that goes next time I'm logged in to my domain accounts.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old January 7th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

k - changes in process. These other domains might not work correctly for a short time tonight. (ninjette.org will continue to work throughout) I'll post up again when the aliases appear to be functional.

Old January 7th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #8
Ananda
Bliss

Name: Keryna

Motorcycle(s): Own: 2001 SV650S Sold: 2007 Ninja 250

mybabyninja.com = too cute! <3
Ananda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #9
Cling
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 06 Honda 1000RR, 08 Ninja 250

Wow, how the heck did you do that...
Cling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

k - some of them are up and running already, the rest will become functional over time as the dns updates spread.

I'm finding that I was lazy in some of my coding, and I hardcoded ninjette.org into a number of links, instead of using relative URLs. This will actually help me find those. If you do go to the http://www.ninjette250.com link, you can see this if you mouse over the "Portal Page" and "Forums" link in the menubar. Should say ninjette250.com at that point (just like the User CP and some of the other links), but it incorrectly says ninjette.org. All of this is just cosmetic anyway, as all the domains are pointing to the same files/database at the end of the process.

Old January 8th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

All domains are now fully up and running as aliases, and all of the obvious hardcoded ninjette.org urls have been changed to relative urls, though a few need to remain due to some vbulletin quirks. People are free to use any of the domains listed in the first post to get to this website (including www.mybabyninja.com, Ananda! ). Let me know if things don't behave as expected...

Old January 8th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #12
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
All domains are now fully up and running as aliases, and all of the obvious hardcoded ninjette.org urls have been changed to relative urls, though a few need to remain due to some vbulletin quirks. People are free to use any of the domains listed in the first post to get to this website (including www.mybabyninja.com , Ananda! ). Let me know if things don't behave as expected...

Seems to be workin! Now you gotta reprogram it to recognize the domain in the URL so it changes this:

LoL. I'm giving you all types of homework.

Old January 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Nope, that logo is going to stay put no matter which vanity domain people prefer.

Old January 8th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #14
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Nope, that logo is going to stay put no matter which vanity domain people prefer.
LoL if you want, I could program you a widget for it

Old January 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Give it a shot! I'd be happy to try it out if you get something working. Needs to be straight HTML/javascript/AJAX; no java or .NET calls.

One intractable problem though is the title bar label, though, that can only be one label that goes along with the vbulletin installation; there is no way I can think of for it to change depending on the domain.

Old January 8th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #16
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Give it a shot! I'd be happy to try it out if you get something working. Needs to be straight HTML/javascript/AJAX; no java or .NET calls.

One intractable problem though is the title bar label, though, that can only be one label that goes along with the vbulletin installation; there is no way I can think of for it to change depending on the domain.
Ick! No .NET or java anything programmed here! LOL.

I do straight PHP. I'd probably have to slightly modify the VBulletin code and call on GD or Imagemagick on the server to CREATE the image.

That would also make it so dynamic that if you added another domain, the code wouldn't have to be modified, the new image would jsut be created on the fly!

Its nice when programming just works, thats why I don't do .NET or Java, lol.

Old January 8th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #17
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuck View Post
LoL if you want, I could program you a widget for it
Widgets? Get back to work on that Frankenbike!

Quote:
k - changes in process. These other domains might not work correctly for a short time tonight. (ninjette.org will continue to work throughout) I'll post up again when the aliases appear to be functional.
I think I prefer the redirects to ninjette.org, mostly because of the authentication cache issue. I'd rather log in once and forget about that part. I use Firefox and Sxipper, so log-ins are minimal anymore
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #18
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprale View Post
Widgets? Get back to work on that Frankenbike!
You and everyone else on every forum that I participate on says that to me any time I respond to anything unrelated to the Honzuki.

Old January 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprale View Post
I think I prefer the redirects to ninjette.org, mostly because of the authentication cache issue. I'd rather log in once and forget about that part. I use Firefox and Sxipper, so log-ins are minimal anymore
Too late! Duckman got his request, where were you yesterday?

Anyway, shouldn't be much of an issue as far as I can tell, doesn't change a darned thing about ninjette.org users. Only matters if someone was using one of the vanity domains ahead of time, and then they were pushed to ninjette.org anyway. Worst case, they continue to use the vanity domain, and they have to log in once which will save a new cookie for them for that domain (they will still have the ninjette.org cookie as well if they ever come back to that domain).

Old January 8th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #20
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Too late! Duckman got his request, where were you yesterday?
LOL. It wasn't really a request so much as a question.

Also http://www.ninjette.org and http://ninjette.org require seperate login sessions too. Those I generally set up in .htaccess or httpd.conf to force a redirect to the WWW domain. You can even plug it into the PHP code of this forum if you felt so ambitous.

The only reason I say these things is because my customers whine about them. Most web customers don't know what they want, until they see what they DON'T WANT. I can generally stop the whining before it starts by setting a few of these things up in the beginning.

Old January 8th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I was going to work on that, actually. It's funkier than you described. If you clear all your cookies, then log in to www.ninjette.org, if you go to ninjette.org afterwards, your login cookie will work (on IE, at least). if you do it at ninjette.org first, if you go to www.ninjette.org, it will require you to login again.

Some of it is vBulletin weirdness rather than standard domain/subdomain weirdness, but it all will get ironed out at some point. Will likely push everything to the www. for consistency.

Old January 9th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #22
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Will likely push everything to the www. for consistency.
Thats usually the best and easiest!

Old January 9th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Alright, troublemaker, all domains are now pushed to the full www URL.

(thanks for the tips, and keep 'em coming!)

Folks who were using ninjette.org instead of www.ninjette.org may see a login prompt (though many may not), but it's just a one-time thing and won't happen again...

Old January 9th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #24
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Alright, troublemaker, all domains are now pushed to the full www URL.

(thanks for the tips, and keep 'em coming!)

Folks who were using ninjette.org instead of www.ninjette.org may see a login prompt (though many may not), but it's just a one-time thing and won't happen again...
Uh oh, its not seeming to work right, attempt to follow this link to view this thread:

http://ninjette.org/forums/showthrea...7648#post17648

The URL doesn't get rewritten and doesn't append the WWW.

I do get redirected if I go directly to http://ninjette.org/ though.

What method are you using?

I see the server is using Apache, I prefer mod_rewrite in that case. You could put this in your .htaccess file in your webroot.

Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^ninjette\.org [NC]
RewriteRule ^/(.*) "http://www.ninjette.org/$1" [L,R]

Old January 9th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #25
Alex
ninjette.org dude

You're right, http://ninjette.org works, but http://ninjette.org/forums doesn't. (they both still bring up the pages that you'd expect, but the forced www isn't appearing). Here's the code I was using:

Code:
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^ninjette.org [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.ninjette.org/$1 [L,R=301]
(2 lines for each domain). I'll try it with yours later today, need to get ready for an actual motorcycle ride in a little bit.

Old January 10th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #26
Alex
ninjette.org dude

No luck, Duck. Used your code character for character, and it broke it completely. Neither domain.com or domain.com/forums successfully changed to www.domain.com and www.domain.com/forums.

Old January 10th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Found some more efficient code, but still has same drawbacks.

Code:
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [R=301,L]
Works automatically for all domains with just those 2 lines; do not need to enumerate all 20 domains. But it still doesn't work for subdirectories, only works for the top level domain.com --> www.domain.com.

Old January 10th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #28
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Well, actually, it is working.

http://ninjette.org/404

Is there an .htaccess in your /forums directory that is overriding the .htaccess in the web root?

Old January 10th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #29
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I cannot accurately explain how much you rock.

I'm tearing my hair out and searching the web to figure out what weirdness is happening on my particular host, and it was exactly as you described. I do need a htaccess file in the forums directory for other reasons, but now that I know what the issue is, I can likely make it work with both.

Thanks a million, Ducky...

Old January 10th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #30
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Thanks a million, Ducky...
Hehe, I'm a pro!

Now watch me make it do URL rewrites with a 2-stroke motor.

Old January 10th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #31
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Well if you're still up, here's the last piece of the puzzle.

In the /forums directory, I have an htaccess file that has this in it:

Code:
RewriteRule ^((urllist|sitemap).*\.(xml|txt)(\.gz)?)$ vbseo_sitemap/vbseo_getsitemap.php?sitemap=$1 [L]
What this does is rewrite the sitemap URL for google/yahoo/etc, so when they come in at:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/sitemap_index.xml.gz

it gets rewritten behind the scenes to:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/vbseo_sitemap/vbseo_getsitemap.php?sitemap=$1

Since this in the /forums directory is overwriting the one in the higher directory, I am thinking I just move this rewrite up into that higher htaccess file and I'm all good. but when I put it in the higher one, and change it to:

Code:
RewriteRule ^((urllist|sitemap).*\.(xml|txt)(\.gz)?)$ forums/vbseo_sitemap/vbseo_getsitemap.php?sitemap=$1 [L]
No worky. Am I missing something obvious?

I also tried to just copy the good stuff that was working from the higher one down into the /forums one, but that didn't work well either, but I can see what that wouldn't...

Old January 10th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #32
Alex
ninjette.org dude

k - waiting for some feedback from the vbseo folks. right now the main directories are working, and I can make all subdirectories work by disabling the vbseo stuff, but I don't want to do that (can hurt search engine rankings). Hope to have a solution that allows all desired htaccess functionality, as well as full vbseo functionality soon. Need some sleep!

Old January 11th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

htaccess problems are behind us! works perfectly for all domains, and for the /forums subdirectory as well. And the vbseo stuff still works. Got help from a forum that is specifically about mod_rewrites. I can't believe there is a forum for just that, but I'm glad there is!

More details on the final solution ---> here

Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:12 AM   #34
Alex
ninjette.org dude

added 2 more domains:

www.kawasakininja250.org
www.kawasakininja250forum.com

Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:17 AM   #35
Alex
ninjette.org dude

hrmmm... This may have turned out to be an interesting intellectual exercise, but I may have to switch things back from aliases to redirects. There are issues with the login/logout process across the portal page and forum home on the vanity domains. Those issues are not easily solvable, and the company that publishes that portal page code says not to do it and recommends redirects.

But more importantly, all of the SEO gurus are telling me that redirects to a primary domain is much, much better for search engine results than having multiple domains all aliased to the same content.

I won't be making any immediate changes in the next few days, so if anyone has any thoughts on this that aren't already in this thread, I'm all ears.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:03 PM   #36
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Good news! (for those who like the aliases). I think I've found a way to make it work, at least with the portal integration. People should no longer see any weird cookie login/logout issues when going between the portal page and the main forums page no matter which domain they are using. This doesn't address the search engine question, but that's not critical at this point.

Old February 18th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #37
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

Name: Miles

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

I would love a email at www.kawininja250.com.
Something like Miles@kawininja250.com. Is it still only forwarding?
maxedpenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #38
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I'm starting to rethink this (and thinking that I may have been on to something back in post 35). I'm seeing that our search engine ranking is actually going down over time, while our traffic, usage, and post activity continues to grow significantly each and every week. It looks like we're getting hit with the "duplicate content" penalty by Google, by having pretty much identical sites at 15+ different domains. At first I thought it was just that word ninjette perhaps wasn't the first search term that people would use when looking for 250's. But our keywords and meta tags, which are filled with things like "ninja 250", "kawasaki", "ninja", etc. should help take care of that. And our domains with the same top-notch content and domain names that do have more standard terms in them, are still way, way down on the search engine list if they appear at all.

So I expect I'll revert this at some point soon, and simply point all of these domains back to ninjette.org as the main domain, and stop submitting sitemaps for all of the others. Google ranking isn't everything, but a strong ranking certainly only helps us attract more ninja 250r fans to this site, and I don't want to be doing anything silly that's unnecessarily hurting that ranking.

Any SEO pros are welcome and encouraged to post up their thoughts here, I'd certainly appreciate any input.

Old May 11th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #39
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Name: Jase

Motorcycle(s): 1986 GPZ Ninja

Quote:
I'm starting to rethink this (and thinking that I may have been on to something back in post 35). I'm seeing that our search engine ranking is actually going down over time, while our traffic, usage, and post activity continues to grow significantly each and every week. It looks like we're getting hit with the "duplicate content" penalty by Google, by having pretty much identical sites at 15+ different domains. At first I thought it was just that word ninjette perhaps wasn't the first search term that people would use when looking for 250's. But our keywords and meta tags, which are filled with things like "ninja 250", "kawasaki", "ninja", etc. should help take care of that. And our domains with the same top-notch content and domain names that do have more standard terms in them, are still way, way down on the search engine list if they appear at all.

So I expect I'll revert this at some point soon, and simply point all of these domains back to ninjette.org as the main domain, and stop submitting sitemaps for all of the others. Google ranking isn't everything, but a strong ranking certainly only helps us attract more ninja 250r fans to this site, and I don't want to be doing anything silly that's unnecessarily hurting that ranking.

Any SEO pros are welcome and encouraged to post up their thoughts here, I'd certainly appreciate any input.
I have been a webmaster for four years ... now I flip the occasional site, Why not find the most popular search terms for Ninja and / or Kawasaki and start getting articles, blog posts, forum topics or threads to match the search terms - obviously have the content here at Ninjette.

Then Digg, Stumble and get others (members) to start adding links on other forums, blogs, social networks or sites to this forum.

Even have some comp's to help gather/write/develop this content for Ninjette, with prizes, like coupons, products, discounts for the best work ?

If you need a hand to find popular Google searches I can help you.
thsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #40
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Good points, that's one of the main reasons that the news forum exists here. It's an automated way to bring in relevant motorcycle topics. Worked very well on some other m/c sites I've run (and if you search for any recent motorcycle news topic, odds are you'll find a top 10 link to the montgomerybikers.com site). It has been much less successful for ninjette.org, so I'm trying to track down some of the reasons for that.

I have some lists of the top searches that bring people to this site, and all of those are in the meta tags to reinforce them, and I do submit new indexed sitemaps to google automatically each day.

Digg, Stumble, FB and other networks are definitely going to be a help as well. BlueTyke was kind enough to set up a FB group for us, which can't hurt with the exposure. It's just irking me that as of this week, we have more original ninja 250-specific content than all but two other sites on the internet, yet we're still only on the 3rd or 4th page of results for generic ninja 250 searches on google.