Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Forum Information

Notices

Old May 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #41
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Name: Jase

Motorcycle(s): 1986 GPZ Ninja

Quote:
Good points, that's one of the main reasons that the news forum exists here.
There's duplicate content though, if the articles are pulled from other sites, so they wont rank very well.

Ninja 250 isn't really that popular of a search in Google :

kawasaki ninja - 174 searches per day.
ninja 250 - 81 searches per day.

kawasaki - 2700 searches per day.
kawasaki motorcycles - 1199 searches per day.

Then related ninja searches per day are under 10 searches each.

Might get some traffic from Youtube if we uploaded videos there and linked to this forum, popular topics related to Ninjas of course, like crashes and stunts. Also the existing youtube vidz from members could be edited and linked here.

I use this to find the search popularity :

http://tools.seobook.com/keyword-tools/seobook/
thsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #42
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsadmin View Post
There's duplicate content though, if the articles are pulled from other sites, so they wont rank very well.
You're certainly right on that. It used to be very effective, and as the original news sites weren't doing much SEO, I'd often be listed above even the original site/original article. Now Google has improved a lot of that, and I'm less likely to see that than I was 2 or 3 years ago.

The youtube idea is another good one. We link to quite a few youtube videos from this site, and if there are ninja 250 videos we ourselves are posting up on youtube, linking to here could be a help, you're right. I'm somewhat surprised at how few ninja 250 searches there are per day, I somehow thought that the volume would be 10 to 100 times that. Doesn't everybody like these bikes?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #43
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

OK - all the vanity domains (but 1) are working as forwards once again, and it should be pretty seamless. Having a strange issue with ninjette.net still, but hopefully it will fix itself in a few hours. www.ninjette.net forwards fine, but ninjette.net goes to an error page. Every other domain, including the .net ones like theninjette.net works fine, so it's a bit strange.

EDIT: Seems like it was fixed while I was posting this, ninjette.net now seems to be working just fine.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old May 11th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #44
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Quote:
I'm somewhat surprised at how few ninja 250 searches there are per day, I somehow thought that the volume would be 10 to 100 times that. Doesn't everybody like these bikes?
Same here, the stats can obviously vary from time to time, like certain periods of the year - for instance the release of the new models when everyone is searching for images and specs or even Xmas when people are searching for bikes.

Wish we could see how many Ninja searches were on Youtube daily.

It's hard though, cos you really want to focus on Ninja riders and have targeted traffic. For instance you could have articles / posts about the new Britney incident have 100s of page views - but no new members.

Here's the search volumes and frequency :

http://www.google.com/trends?q=ninja...ate=ytd&sort=0

Here's the rising search terms and interest :

http://www.google.com/insights/searc...%2012-m&cmpt=q

As you can see from the results Ninja and Kawasaki are on the rise :

The top 5 Ninja Searches are (search and increase in searches) :

1. modifikasi ninja 250 (Breakout)
2. 09 ninja 250 (Breakout)
3. 2009 kawasaki ninja (+3700%)
4. 2009 250 ninja (+2350%)
5. ninja 250 community (+300%)

And for Kawasaki :

1. jett travolta (+4250%)
2. kawasaki 2009 (+2650%)
3. kawasaki syndrome (+400%)
4. sindrome kawasaki (+350%)
5. kawasaki disease (+200%)

So basically if we were to focus on the search terms above and created relevant content - the forum should pick up.

Old May 12th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #45
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

I would also change the index page, there's little content there and the redirect would possibly be doing some damage to your SEO, I noticed that index wasn't in Google's index - as in www.ninjette.org ... which may be a result of the redirect after so many seconds.

Old May 12th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #46
Alex
ninjette.org dude

That's a thought, but I really do like the pic splash page... It seems that when you just search on "ninjette.org", google does return the portal page (http://www.ninjette.org/index2.php) as the first hit, not the splash page, so they are certainly indexing and ranking that portal page highly. Since it is already up there, I'm wondering if making it the index page would really have that large of an effect.

Old May 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #47
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Yeah, not really sure ... Google may have settled with the splash page now, changing it will conflict with the old set up and create a duplicate page - if you left the old page up.

But I was always taught that the index is most important for SEO, maybe if you just changed it a little ? Maybe add some RSS feeds on the (index) page - like new posts, new blog posts and anything else you could think of. What I am getting at is more links to the actual forum and posts. Like the news feeds you have on the portal page (but your own feeds).

Old May 12th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #48
Alex
ninjette.org dude

But all of that is already on the portal page, right? Right above any of the newsfeeds, there are direct links to the newest topics/threads within the site. I'm not sure that adding more than those 10 would help much, right?

It sounds like what you're suggesting is to basically make the portal page the index page (and perhaps add a little more forum content into the portal page). I just don't know if that will really make much of a difference. If the portal page wasn't being indexed regularly, there wouldn't be a question, that would be the issue. But it is being hit and reindexed by google pretty much every day, so their index already has anything and everything from that page already, and they already see it as the most relevant ninjette.org page.

I just found the clearest description yet of how my multiple aliases without 301 redirects were hurting the SEO, here's a link to a decent article on the topic.

Old May 12th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #49
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Quote:
It sounds like what you're suggesting is to basically make the portal page the index page
Yeah pretty much, or add similar content to the index page. Like you have said though - the portal page is being indexed quickly - so it may not really matter.

I was also concerned about the three steps to the main forum :

Index -> Portal -> Forum

Then the posts / threads are even further away.

Index -> Portal -> Forum -> Posts / Threads

Again just more thinking material for you.

Old May 12th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #50
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I hear you, you may be on to something. For a second I just switched the portal page to be the primary page, and I actually liked how it worked. The URL in the browser says only "http://www.ninjette.org/" , and the portal page is viewed, instead of the splash page as it is now. Some SEO advice makes a big deal about that page, always linking to it, and not linking to anything with index.html (or any other extension) as your home page. Having just the domain with a trailing slash evidently helps the algorithm. (link where I saw that)

What I won't be likely to ever go back to is for the primary page to be the forums page itself. It's just too confusing for new visitors to the site; I feel the portal, with an easily digestable site navigation widget, is pretty much mandatory.

Old May 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #51
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Yeah that article makes sense, I haven't read much on SEO lately, but i remember pages were indexed better if they weren't more than 3 clicks away from your index page. And the more links to your content on the index was always better - up to 50 links was OK - but between 20-30 is suggested. You don't have much to loose I guess if you try several indexes ...

But going back to basics, the forum will grow naturally by word of mouth and friends of members joining.

It's just the fine tuning in between and the growth of the website which is rewarding and sometimes frustrating - not to mention the monetizing. Overall the site is going and growing well though.

Old May 13th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #52
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Thanks Jase, you're right on all counts. It's not life or death, or even particularly important at all, that the SEO works great or not at all. It's only one avenue of keeping this site happy and healthy, and all is perfectly fine as we are right now.

It's just frustrating, as you said, to not know which changes may or may not make a difference in the rankings, and also to have to wait such a long time after changes to see if there has been a positive or negative effect due to whatever change is made.

Old May 15th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #53
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Quote:
Thanks Jase, you're right on all counts.
No worries, if you ever need to bounce questions or concerns about the SEO - just let me know and I will try my best to assist.

Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:02 PM   #54
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Looks like the recent changes have made a significant difference in Google results. (Or those results coincidentally happened over the same time period. ) Either way, the number of ninjette.org pages that Google has in its index has doubled in the past two weeks, after being stagnant for months.

Old June 18th, 2009, 01:41 AM   #55
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Just saw today that a google search on "ninja 250 forum" now has a link to here on the top of the 3rd page. It's not top 10, but it's getting there...

Old June 18th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #56
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Just checked the first 5 pages on google.ca and ninjette.org is nowhere to be seen when i type in ninja 250 forum.

Old June 18th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #57
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

Same here, I had to be told this forum existed by other users on another forum (cbr125r.ca), I've never found it in a google search.

If it's possible, switch to a friendly URL setup for the forum entires so they look something like:

http://ninjette.org/forums/thread/12453

Not sure if this system supports it though.

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #58
Alex
ninjette.org dude

That's OK, there are more than enough Canadians on this board already.

The friendly URL's used to help a few years back, but have been made irrelevant once Google started to accept sitemaps quite awhile ago. Many forum sites (including this one), use a tool that indexes the entire site, all threads, all member pages, all everything, and puts the URL of each site into a single text file. That file, called a sitemap, tells search engines everything they need to know about what pages exist on the site. Google (and Yahoo) pull down our sitemap several times per day, so they know immediately about every single one of the pages on the site, it's pretty useful. The issue is that Google then decides how important each one of those pages is, and if nobody else on the internet has taken the time to link to it, or there isn't anything particularly unique about the content on that page, then it never makes its way high up into the search index anyway.

Prior to sitemaps, friendly URL's made it a little more likely that more of a site would be indexed successfully, but at this point it doesn't make a whit of difference. If you want to take a peek at our sitemap, the index is right at:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/sitemap_index.xml.gz

The end of each sitemap file links to the next one, there are several to keep the file sizes down.

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #59
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have met some very nice Canadians from this forum and hope to go visit one day. Maybe when I win the Lottery. (Inside JK)
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #60
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Reminder about ninjette.org email accounts

Wanted to bump up this idea again; if anyone wants a Ninjette-related email address (anything (at) ninjette.org), or any of the other domains listed in the first post in this thread, just let me know and I can set one up for you immediately (for free). It would be a forwarding account that would immediately push any incoming mail to whichever "real" email account you're using now.

Old August 31st, 2011, 05:43 PM   #61
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Rebump diddy bump. If anyone wants a ninjette.org vanity email address, just let me know. Details in the post right above...

Old September 1st, 2011, 08:18 PM   #62
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250r

You should set up and android app for ninjette that would be so sick

Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:21 PM   #63
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Working on it. No ETA - but it'll happen...

Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:05 PM   #64
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Did the Forum's font change recently (last week or so)?
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:14 PM   #65
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Nope. Check to make sure your browser still has the zoom set to 100% and didn't get bunked up or down a notch.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:44 AM   #66
Alex
ninjette.org dude

And now we're back to playing this game again. A few years ago, we were able to up our ranking on google so when people searched for "ninja 250 forum", a link to our site finally made it to the first page of results, and at that point traffic increased at a much faster rate than it ever had before. It just builds on itself. It did take what seemed like years to finally get to that point, though.

Three days ago, searching on "ninja 300 forum", came up with nothing on us until page 6 or 7 of results, which might as well be nowhere. After adding the new forum area(s) for the 300, and moving a bunch of related threads in there, we're already up to page 3 of results, and hopefully moving up fast. A search on "ninja 300 forum area" has us at number #1, but that's a pretty specific and unlikely search. Anyway, if people have Ninja 300 content, we now have some great places to post it up, and the more we have, the more new owners we'll attract here to be able to abuse mercilessly chat with.

Oh - and nobody has asked me for a ninjette.org vanity email address in awhile. If you want one with your username, just let me know and I can set it up for you reasonably quickly.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:14 AM   #67
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Better lock up ninjetteporn.com while it's still available
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:18 AM   #68
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i wouldn't mind a vanity email on ninjetteporn.com...

Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM   #69
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Done. Will be up and running in a few hours.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:56 AM   #70
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
AFM #676

Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:41 PM   #71
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

How does the vanity email work? Does it a forward to another user defined address?
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:06 PM   #72
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Yes. It's just an email address that would then forward to your "real" email account. But you can use it as your return address if you choose in most mail programs, so for all intents and purposes it can look like your real email account.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM   #73
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i wouldn't mind a vanity email on ninjetteporn.com...
You're all set.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:54 PM   #74
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Is ninjetteporn.com going to link back to a picture thread?
AFM #676

Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:55 PM   #75
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Right now it just links to the main domain. Do you want an email address on it?

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:02 PM   #76
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I kinda do.... Would be perfect on a ninjette.org business card
AFM #676

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:11 PM   #77
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Done. It should be working in a few minutes.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:35 PM   #78
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I see you added Unregisteredninjette.com to the list. Why "Unregistered?" Do you two have something going on? Did I miss something? Why not CZroeninjette.com?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:44 PM   #79
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Someone's getting carried away with the [ you ] tag.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:31 PM   #80
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
LmfaoL