ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 8th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #1
corralhollowkid
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 07' Ninja 250r

missing the washer between my oil filter and the spring

I just got the ninjette... I'm changing the oil then later looking at the parts diagram and thinking to myself "I laid out all the parts and there was NO washer between my spring and the filter cartridge"

It doesn't look like its critical for the flow of oil and I know the oil is circulating. How bad is it to run the bike without that until my next oil/filter exchange?

I'm thinkin it won't hurt a damn thing... I just wanna feel better in my head while I'm riding it !

Thanks !!!
Posted via Mobile Device
corralhollowkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #2
kawaninja09
ninjette.org member

Name: derek

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r ninja

is it the o ring washer?
kawaninja09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #3
corralhollowkid
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaninja09 View Post
is it the o ring washer?
no, its not the rubber O ring...that's all nicely sealed up

its a flat metal washer that (according to the kawk parts diagram is part number 92022-1012) measures 20.5x30x1

it sits on top of the spring and below the cartridge filter... I don't think it does much.

its damn impossible to find one even at my failsafe they have everything ever made hardware store. the sizes jump from 20 to 22...

Old July 8th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #4
kawaninja09
ninjette.org member

i just recently did an oil change on mine last week but i remember having the washer but ive also heard alot that it gets stuck to the bottom of your old filter you took off so if you still have the filter check on the bottom of it for it if not im sure you could get the part from kawasaki dealership

Old July 8th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
corralhollowkid
ninjette.org member

Its not on the old filter ... The dealer wants $5 for the part. I will end up getting it from them, eventually.

For now ... I don't think it hurts anything to leave it out for a few miles?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 8th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #6
kawaninja09
ninjette.org member

i think it just helps keep the filter in place but good luck on it

Old July 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #7
corralhollowkid
ninjette.org member

yeah...i don't see how the filter can really go anywhere.

I'm gonna order one from the dealer and do another oil/filter exchange soon anyhow. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic and a wix filter. The oil clouded up right away. I'll try a different oil this time. Maybe I'll pop the extra bucks for the royal purple !

Old July 8th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #8
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

You will be fine without it for now. The washer is there so the spring can push up against it instead of the rubber seal on the oil filter. This prevents the seal from deforming as the spring isn't flat and wide.

Old July 8th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #9
corralhollowkid
ninjette.org member

Thanks ! I'm off to work on it in 5 min... With a little more peace of mind !
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 29th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Leaky
ninjette.org member

Name: Leaky

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
You will be fine without it for now. The washer is there so the spring can push up against it instead of the rubber seal on the oil filter. This prevents the seal from deforming as the spring isn't flat and wide.
Mine was the same, bought the bike used, didn't seem to be a washer there. How long would it be okay not running it for? Till the end of the season or should I do an oil change and replace that part again (just did the change last night).
Leaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #11
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I have done 3 oil changes without the washer cause i kept forgetting to get one. My mechanic told me it won't damage anything it purpose is just to keep the spring from digging into the rubber on the oil filter. I finally got one from my kawi dealership and he told me i didn't need ever to replace it so $4 didn't seem so bad. Hopefully i'll remember it next time i do my oil change.

Old July 29th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #12
Leaky
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
I have done 3 oil changes without the washer cause i kept forgetting to get one. My mechanic told me it won't damage anything it purpose is just to keep the spring from digging into the rubber on the oil filter. I finally got one from my kawi dealership and he told me i didn't need ever to replace it so $4 didn't seem so bad. Hopefully i'll remember it next time i do my oil change.
Ah Okay. I ordered 2 of those and 2 of the washers for the drain plug. Both were out of stock. I'm just a little paranoid about these things since it's the first time I've done any real "mechanical" work on anything.

Old July 29th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #13
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Better to be safe than sorry. Gotten myself in trouble a few times because i didn't ask in my line of work.

Old July 29th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #14
Leaky
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
Better to be safe than sorry. Gotten myself in trouble a few times because i didn't ask in my line of work.
Yep. I started teh engine after the oil change a couple times (also to make sure the oil levels were good). Nothing out of the ordinary, but the washer was never there anyways.

Just ordered the parts, just wanted to make sure everything was okay to ride or it would cause permanent damage down the road.

Old July 22nd, 2017, 02:36 PM   #15
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Name: Nein

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r se

I dont have one either, doesnt make any difference what-so-ever 23000 miles no problems.. it just gives the spring something to rest on rather than the rubber gasket on the filter itself. just a backup plan so it wont accidentally rip the gasket on the filter, but you're like me and for $4 you buy a new filter every single time you change your oil at the 2000km mark right? RIGHT?? heh. (yeah 2000 km is far enough the way i ride this thing) oh wow this an old post. should have looked first!