ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 24th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #1
FrankChen07
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

2007 250 Ninja Not Starting

Hey everyone,

I need some help troubleshooting a 2007 Ninja 250; it's not starting. Here's what happened,and the work that was performed on it.

Around Mid-October, two-weeks ago. (2011)

Carbs were cleaned with Berryman B12 and compressed air, including all the small holes.
Intake valves were adjusted.
Exhaust valves were adjusted.
Fuel Petcock was replaced (vacuum was broken.)
New fuel was added to the tank.
New Spark plugs (Denso), they spark just fine, correct gap.
New air filter installed.
New motor oil, but haven't changed the oil filter.
Chain adjusted, lubed.
Good play on Throttle, Clutch is good, Brakes are good.
Battery is strong, and cranks over fine.
Compression is present (air coming from exhaust while starter switch is on)
Float bowels were adjusted as well.

Monday October 17, 2011: Bike started up with choke,turned choke off after a minute, adjusted idle to about 2000. Rode to work and back, idle crept up to 3000.

Tuesday October 18, 2011: Bike did not start in the morning. Turns over, battery sounds fine, but doesn't seem to want to "catch." Since then, bike does not start.

Spent then till now, re-checking everything, and no luck in getting the bike started. Suggestions?
FrankChen07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #2
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

IMHO it sounds like a vacuum leak developed, as indicated by the idle creeping up. Recheck the carb boots and vacuum lines. Also, did you disassembly the idle mixture screws and the choke mechanisms for cleaning?
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #3
hi_mike
ninjette.org newbie

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ex500

Hello, so I am in on this adventure, Frank and I have been trying to get this thing up and running together so I can answer some questions as well.

regarding the vacuum leak, well, we thought so too.
this bike was purchased with very questionable previous maintenance and many bolts and little pieces are missing from the bike. the air filter duct springs were missing so we added clamps to secure the connection. the intake manifolds are also secure onto the carbs. still no go.
we noticed that the rubber strap that secures the top of the air filter box is missing. but securing the air filter cap manually still didnt work.

even if there was a vacuum leak, i would suspect that the bike would at least start (as it used to just a couple days ago) with the choke enriching the mixture. but i am hoping to be proven wrong so we can find the issue.

are there any other suggestions for us to check?
hi_mike is offline   Reply With Quote