ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 12th, 2014, 03:34 PM   #1
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Now a Choke Issue

Soo furthering the proof that I shouldn't work on my own bike , my choke started to act kinda funny ever since I put on those damn clip ons. Just seems like it doesn't work as well as it used to. Before, I would flip on full choke while I was starting the bike, and let it sit there while I put on my helmet and gloves. Then I would ride away (with the choke still full engaged).

About 2 blocks from my house there's a stop sign. Before I installed the clip ons, I would get to the sign and everything would be fine, RPMs wouldn't drop too low.

Now when I stop at that same spot, the bike drops well below idle, and NEARLY stalls. It hasn't stalled yet, but it gets very close, so close that the headlight sometimes dims ever so slightly.

Now, I should note that the control box (or whatever it's called) on the left bar isn't closed flush. Doesn't seem like I've lined up the hole in the bar with the box well enough. I tried moving the hole around to 100 different places, but it seemed like wherever I would line it up, the box would never close flush

The way the bike acts now, with the slight loss of power at that one stop sign, is similar to how it would act long ago when I didn't use any choke at all. This led me to believe the choke is operating incorrectly. But the other day I checked below the gas tank; and the choke would engage as soon as I would start moving the lever down.

Supwitdat?

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #2
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

Double check for binding of the choke cable. Start it up cold as you would normally and move your bars side to side and see if any change. Have you taken to account for our change in weather lately? With our weather here in Norcal I only need to run my choke for half the time i did a week ago. Also you can't go wrong with running some SeaFoam and or Startron through the fuel system.

Old March 12th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #3
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk595x View Post
Double check for binding of the choke cable. Start it up cold as you would normally and move your bars side to side and see if any change. Have you taken to account for our change in weather lately? With our weather here in Norcal I only need to run my choke for half the time i did a week ago. Also you can't go wrong with running some SeaFoam and or Startron through the fuel system.
Thanks for the reply Rob! There isn't a binding of cables (choke or throttle). And I have considered running seafoam, but it seems like there's an never-ending debate on whether or works as advertise or not lol

Old March 12th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Make sure you have the correct amount of slack on your throttle cable. I noticed the other day that my choke started acting funny. It didn't have the rpm's it normally had at start up. I thought it was the choke cable that needed adjusting. I checked the throttle cable first and noticed the adjusting nut was loosened a little. Tightened it back to where it was supposed to be and the choke works like it used to. Yours may be different.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 12th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
............Now, I should note that the control box (or whatever it's called) on the left bar isn't closed flush. Doesn't seem like I've lined up the hole in the bar with the box well enough. I tried moving the hole around to 100 different places, but it seemed like wherever I would line it up, the box would never close flush.........
It is possible that the lever is not retained in place by friction within that box (as before the clip-ons' move) and that the steering movement plus vibration let the plunge at the carb return to its closed position.

Could you check the position of the choke's lever and plunge when you arrive to that stop sign?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 04:19 PM   #6
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
It is possible that the lever is not retained in place by friction within that box (as before the clip-ons' move) and that the steering movement plus vibration let the plunge at the carb return to its closed position.

Could you check the position of the choke's lever and plunge when you arrive to that stop sign?
Hmm....well the lever stays fully open, not sure about the plunge though. Isn't that on the inside of the box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Make sure you have the correct amount of slack on your throttle cable. I noticed the other day that my choke started acting funny. It didn't have the rpm's it normally had at start up. I thought it was the choke cable that needed adjusting. I checked the throttle cable first and noticed the adjusting nut was loosened a little. Tightened it back to where it was supposed to be and the choke works like it used to. Yours may be different.
Ya know, that's a good point. I did notice the adjusting nut on the throttle is a little loose. I'll check that as soon as I get home later. But, I don't understand how that would affect the choke?

Old March 12th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Hmm....well the lever stays fully open, not sure about the plunge though. Isn't that on the inside of the box?
No, the plunge that I refer to is the one opening in each carb; it is what the cable pulls back and what its spring makes close back.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #8
rasta
Your face

Oooooh okay. I'll check that out