ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 1st, 2009, 05:05 AM   #1
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja EX250R

Hit a parked motorcycle... with my car. Thoughts?

So... this motorcycle was parked behind me... 20 houses away from where he normally parks and it was covered head to toe with a motorcycle cover so that I couldn't see the reflectors. He was also parked ALL THE WAY forward (motorcycles normally are supposed to park at the rear of the spot.. so that, you guessed it, cars can see them better) and it was dark where he parked.

So I backed into this thing at 0530 this morning and did very minimal damage to the wife's Sentra and abso-toot-ly no damage to his bike. I asked it there was a law because here in So. AL, most every morning all the windows have so much dew you can't see out of them. I rolled down both side windows and checked the side mirrors very carefully before backing out. I back straight out into a empty parking spot behind me every time and this time... it wasn't so empty.

I just printed out a sheet of alabama state laws and the very last section states this....

"(2) These reflectors shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than 20 inches nor more than 60 inches measures as set forth in subsetion (a) of Section 32-5-242, shall be of such size and characteristics, and shall be so mounted as to be visible at night from 300 feet."

So... this tells me he is at fault. So what gives? Should I pursue this retard or let bygones be bygones and buff my **** out?

And yes, this **** will buff right out. I'm just pissed that this IDIOT doesn't know how to park a motorcycle.

-Brandon

PS: It is a ass-raped pre-gen Ninja 250.

I did report this accident and left a note on his bike. I am not that type of person.

Last futzed with by Obsidian; August 1st, 2009 at 06:35 AM.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 05:06 AM   #2
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

haha it censored the poo word but not ass-raped. lawl.

Old August 1st, 2009, 05:57 AM   #3
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

I would like some opinions please.....

Old August 1st, 2009, 06:15 AM   #4
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post

You hit something that was stationary. Man-up, it's your fault. That's my opinion.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 06:21 AM   #5
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

You should report any accident. If you don't see any damage to his bike or not. If he notices and reports leaving the sceen of an accident, then they trace it back to you, you are screwed, regardless of fault. Plus, if he was in the spot, parked legally, then it is your fault. Everywhere I have lived has the law that you must leave a note with your name number and insurrance info so you can resolve the issue if the other driver cannot be found. Plus in most places if damage exceedes $500 +or- then you must report the accident to a police officer.

I don't know what having the bike covered has to do with it. Car covers are legal, bike covers are legal.

Why did you pull into the other parking spot in the first place? Are you not able to manage angles well when in reverse? I can't believe that most states only require you to know how to drive straight in reverse inorder to get your license. Try practicing your back up skills.

Also with respect to visibility. It is your responsibility to make sure your windows are clear.

I won't claim to know the statistics, but I heard once that most accidents happen in parking lots. I think it is that people are in a hurry to get on the road, and are compacent, because the other vehicles are stationary. Plus if you are leaving an appartment complex, your used to were everyone usually parks so simply don't look. It is kinda like driving with your eyes closed.

Okay, I'll step down now.

Last futzed with by tjkamper; August 1st, 2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling
tjkamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 06:21 AM   #6
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
You hit something that was stationary. Man-up, it's your fault. That's my opinion.
I am. Kinda sucks but oh well. Luckily enough I did no damage to his bike. Not that it would have mattered. This bike is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. If it fell it would probably only make it look better.

Old August 1st, 2009, 06:38 AM   #7
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post

You should report any accident. If you don't see any damage to his bike or not. If he notices and reports leaving the sceen of an accident, then they trace it back to you, you are screwed, regardless of fault. Plus, if he was in the spot, parked legally, then it is your fault. Everywhere I have lived has the law that you must leave a note with your name number and insurrance info so you can resolve the issue if the other driver cannot be found. Plus in most places if damage exceedes $500 +or- then you must report the accident to a police officer.

I don't know what having the bike covered has to do with it. Car covers are legal, bike covers are legal.

Why did you pull into the other parking spot in the first place? Are you not able to manage angles well when in reverse? I can't believe that most states only require you to know how to drive straight in reverse inorder to get your license. Try practicing your back up skills.

Also with respect to visibility. It is your responsibility to make sure your windows are clear.

I won't claim to know the statistive, but I heard once that most accidents happen in parking lots. I think it is that people are in a hurry to get on the road, and are compacent, because the other vehicles are stationary. Plus if you are leaving an appartment complex, your used to were everyone usually parks so simply don't look. It is kinda like driving with your eyes closed.

Okay, I'll step down now.
Half of this is invalid because I did call the cops and left a message, but I didn't post that so I just edited the post.

I pull straight back because people like to fly through my neighborhood and it is just easier to not clog up the tiny lane.

I can drive my car better than most people on the road IMO. This is just a normal solution for me especially when there is an "empty" spot behind me as there normally is.

I claim the cover because without the cover I would have easily seen his reflectors. I thought that was the main reason they were there is to let the vehicle be seen while stopped. Apparently this is not the case when parked in a parking spot.

With visibility, it is legal to have the back window be completely obstructed but whatever....

Old August 1st, 2009, 06:58 AM   #8
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but the bike was parked in a legal space directly behind you? If so, then it is your fault for not seeing it. It is your responsibility to visually check the front, sides, and rear of your vehicle, prior to moving your car. If it had been a car, you probably would have noticed it before getting into your car. Because you didn't see it, via your rear view mirrors, doesn't make it the bike owner's fault. Experience is a hard teacher. In the future, you should make it a habit to walk around your car and check for damage, tire condition, etc. You do it with your bike before each ride, right?
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 07:12 AM   #9
tjkamper

Just don't talk yourself into thinking your not the one at fault here. You did hit a parked vehicle. Not so good-a-driving in my book.

Good job leaving a note and reporting the accident. Way to own up and take responsibility.

I know it is not illegal to have your rear window obstructed. Actually in most states you only need one side mirror to be legal. But even if you only have one mirror, you're still responsible for seeing other vehicles and if you hit them, because you can't see, it is your fault. If the dew was enough of a factor you felt it had to be mentioned, then it was a distraction and you knew it was a distraction, it is your fault for not clearing it off.

In a traffic school I went to years ago for a speeding ticket, the officer told us that drivers on average rate their driving ability better that what it really is. He quoted some statistics from the NHSTA and it was clear that people think they are better than they really are.

You may be a good drivier, but complacency, distraction, not being fully awake, emotions, being in a hurry, impatience, etc... will increase the chances of you being in an accident.

Basically, don't try to blame someone else for your mistake.

On a happier note. I hope the damage buffs out okay on your wifes car. And I'm glad no one was hurt and damage was minimal.

Last futzed with by tjkamper; August 1st, 2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typo

Old August 1st, 2009, 07:20 AM   #10
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

In my opinion, you're at fault. You hit it, end of story. Luckily no damage was done to the bike, and you said the car can be easily buffed out. You lucked out, just take it as a learning experience...we all make mistakes.

My only question is how you didn't see the bike? Every car I have driven, the back up lights are more then bright enough to light up everything behind me very well. I wasn't there, I don't know the situation, just wondering. In any case, it was an accident, live and learn.

Old August 1st, 2009, 07:29 AM   #11
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraitT View Post
In my opinion, you're at fault. You hit it, end of story. Luckily no damage was done to the bike, and you said the car can be easily buffed out. You lucked out, just take it as a learning experience...we all make mistakes.

My only question is how you didn't see the bike? Every car I have driven, the back up lights are more then bright enough to light up everything behind me very well. I wasn't there, I don't know the situation, just wondering. In any case, it was an accident, live and learn.
I love this board. I really do.

As to how I didn't see the bike.

It was dark as hell out. He was parked where his bike was in the shadow of a street light, all the way forward and it was literally just that hard to see. Even when I know I was looking for it, it was still hard to see. I should have gotten a picture of it.

My lights are bright but it was a flat color and those things don't do a lot of reflecting of light back.

For laughs and giggles, ninja250.org banned me because I called one of their admins an asshole for posting an asshole comment. Good riddance.

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:02 AM   #12
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

The truth is it's not against the law to cover your motorcycle and park it forward in the spot, so I would agree your legally "at fault" even though it really isn't anyone's fault. Boy I feel sorry for anyone getting caught up in our legal system that doesn't speak English. I would love to have to explain something like this to them. "Your at fault even though its not your fault."

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM   #13
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
I am. Kinda sucks but oh well. Luckily enough I did no damage to his bike. Not that it would have mattered. This bike is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. If it fell it would probably only make it look better.
He's gonna have bran new one now that you ran it over
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:15 AM   #14
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

This has to be one of the most stupid **** i've ever heard....some people should not reproduce to curb down the stupidity in this world.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:23 AM   #15
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

This first post should read. Damn, I hit a parked bike and scratched my gf's car. I feel bad, It was hard to see. I am glad it wasn't a dog or something.
because this post would have said.
"oh but is was an ugly dog, which was black. the owner should have had reflective tags on it.?????"

ass raped is such a classey term!!!

This thread does not make any sense???

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:26 AM   #16
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Maybe this person will learn not to put a cover on a bike when in a parking spot. If you don't want someone to hit your bike, make it visible! Was this a public parking area or place of residence like an apartment parking lot? Maybe they should start putting reflective strips on covers that will be used outdoors.

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:26 AM   #17
tjkamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartan View Post
This first post should read. Damn, I hit a parked bike and scratched my gf's car. I feel bad, It was hard to see. I am glad it wasn't a dog or something.
because this post would have said.
"oh but is was an ugly dog, which was black. the owner should have had reflective tags on it.?????"

ass raped is such a classey term!!!

This thread does not make any sense???
When I first read the post the only impression I got was that it was some guy trying to talk himself out of being responsible for screwing up. While making as many excusses as he could along the way. (well... we know what they say about excusses).

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:27 AM   #18
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

I don't see an enthusiast
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:28 AM   #19
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
The truth is it's not against the law to cover your motorcycle and park it forward in the spot, so I would agree your legally "at fault" even though it really isn't anyone's fault. Boy I feel sorry for anyone getting caught up in our legal system that doesn't speak English. I would love to have to explain something like this to them. "Your at fault even though its not your fault."
If you hit a stationary object with your vehicle, you are both legally and actually at fault. Not sure how anyone could think that this is nobody's fault. Also not sure what not speaking English has to do with this at all. He's very lucky that he only hit a bike and not a person.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:36 AM   #20
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

That's how bad things are becoming in this world. Somebody backs into a stationary object because they can't be bothered clearing their rear window or checking to see nothing's behind them and what do they do next?
They try to squirm out their 100% responsibility for the accident by inferring it was someone else's fault. And since everyone is becoming like this, they post about it thinking someone will invariably agree with them and somehow exonerate them from the stupid thing they did. The sad part is that if this thread continues long enough, some other asshat will eventually show up and do exactly that. Which is why I think this thread should be closed - to prevent perpetuating humanity's loss of personal responsibility and intelligence by even one more idiot.
Can you tell I'm a real "people person?"
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM   #21
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

I agree it's my fault. I'm more mad that... well it's stupid.

One, I checked behind me. I did a quick scan and I missed it. Sue me. 3 hours of sleep and I'm taking a drunk friend home.

Two. I'm not trying to squirm out of anything. I was looking to see if there was anything out there to say he is at fault but there isn't so it means it's my fault

Three. I just made the ugly comment because, it is damned ugly. I don't care if I hit an ugly bike or a pretty bike. It's the same thing.

And about the window clearing. Everything else is clear... and you know what... I'm just tired of arguing my point because there is no point to be made.

Thanks for the opinions.

Edit* There is a point to be made.

As everyone who rides knows, the only person that is going to save your own skin is YOU. It doesn't matter if you're head to toe with full racing or whatever gear, when you get hit by a drunk driver head on and you're dead, you're the one who is dead regardless. The only thing you can do is do everything in your power to NOT get hit.

This guy obviously didn't do everything in his power because he...

1. Covered up his bike so it's not easily seen.
2. Parked WAY forward in his 100% legally claimed spot.
3. Parked in an area that was not his designation. It's claimed for another person's home.

For those reasons, regardless of the fact that I am 100% at fault, I hit his bike. **** the point that it is my fault. It happened and his bike got hit. Luckily enough there was zero damage to his bike not that you could tell by looking at it.

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM   #22
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Tell him to park his bike at his front door.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:52 AM   #23
tjkamper

Quote:
Thanks for the opinions.
You asked for them.

Quote:
I'm back on it.

Three hours of sleep seems to be the problem. Dowsy Driving is as bad a Drunk Driving. Let your buddy take a cab. If he doesn't have enough money then why the hell is he wasting what little he has on boozzz.

Okay I'll step back off the box again.

Last futzed with by tjkamper; August 1st, 2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:56 AM   #24
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
You asked for them.

I'm back on it.

Three hours of sleep seems to be the problem. Dowsy Driving is as bad a Drunk Driving. Let your buddy take a cab. If he doesn't have enough money then why the hell is he wasting what little he has on boozzz.

Okay I'll step back off the box again.
Indeed and I agree 100% with you.

However... me drive drowsy... or my friend drive drunk? I weighed two options and picked the lesser of two evils.

We aren't allowed to park on our front doors anymore thanks to a new HOA rule. If we do we get a $25 fine. After that, it is towed at the owners expense. I park mine in my back yard.

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:57 AM   #25
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

And I am still very grateful for the opinions! Thanks again.

Old August 1st, 2009, 09:01 AM   #26
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Regardless of whether it was dark, your rear window was obstructed by dew or his bike was in the back of the parking spot, you backed into an object that you either didn't see or didn't notice. Any way you look at it your fault. It's not a heinous crime and you aren't a stupid person for doing it or anything like that. Everyone makes mistakes like this and luckily it didn't cause much damage and you will likely be more careful in situations like this in the future, so lesson learned there.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 09:04 AM   #27
bob706

You made a mistake - the first and only person in history to do so. You tapped a stealth 250. No harm, no foul. I bet it doesn't happen to you again

Old August 1st, 2009, 09:07 AM   #28
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

Damn right. Next time I'll blow it up! Yarr!

Yes, it was a mistake and one I made. I keep waiting for the guy to knock on my door.

Lesson learned, I will be checking for these much more often. You can do something right 1,000 times but as soon as you mess up once, you suck at it.

And so the lesson is learned.

Old August 1st, 2009, 09:50 AM   #29
kkim

cool... you saw the light.

at least one good thing came out of this... you were banned from 250.org.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 09:51 AM   #30
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

100% your fault dude.

A woman in my parking garage backed into my bike a couple of times and never said anything about it. When I found my bike moved about five inches, a piece of her rear tail light under my bike and a ding in the back of my car from the bike's handlebar, I left her a note and told her next time I'm calling the police.

It is a hit and run.

Old August 1st, 2009, 09:55 AM   #31
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

Haha, they unbanned me now. Maybe they were just dicking around with my username but it's back now. Who cares?

Still waiting for the guy. I have to say it. I'm still going to chew the guy out up one side and down the other for being a fool and using someone else's spot. He can't claim **** on me though. Guy probably doesn't even have insurance.

Old August 1st, 2009, 10:09 AM   #32
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Sounds like you're backtracking. You are 100% at fault, and should be apologizing to him, not chewing him out. Learn how to drive. You've demonstrated that you haven't quite mastered it yet.

But like you, I'm happy that any damage was to a ratted out machine rather than a pristine new one. Your assessment of the bike isn't the one that matters of course; he might feel quite fondly about it if he took the time to put a cover on it.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 10:13 AM   #33
tjkamper

Also what's not to stop him from saying that all the other damage was done when it got hit. The insurance company won't know the differnce.

Apologize for the mistake show responsibility and move on.

Old August 1st, 2009, 10:18 AM   #34
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Chewing the guy out and suggesting it was his fault you hit it could be the difference between a handshake and a very large insurance claim against you.

Tread lightly when you are in the wrong sir.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 10:27 AM   #35
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Posted via Mobile Device
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM   #36
BlackRain
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 97 GSXR 600

Quote:
I'm still going to chew the guy out up one side and down the other for being a fool and using someone else's spot. He can't claim **** on me though. Guy probably doesn't even have insurance.
You still have not learned anything have you?

I read your thread on the other site as well. You are a tool.

You do not have to have insurance for a vehicle that is not operated on public roadways. If it as parked with a cover, he can do so with no insurance.

As far as parking in another assigned spot he may have been given permission to. That is at the discretion of management of the property.

You asked for "opinions" and you disrespect others fr giving their opinions. Make sure you give the whole story before blasting people from other forums.

Old August 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM   #37
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

I understand your pissed but you're not supposed to hit anything with your car. If ya hit a pos parked illegaly in a handicaped spot you're still at fault, the illegal parking concerns nobody but the owner of the vehicle and you cant use that excuse for you hitting it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 10:53 AM   #38
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

I feel like I am being baited for another term paper. this can't be real.

Old August 1st, 2009, 11:19 AM   #39
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

If the guy was parked on a public street, it doesnt matter where on the street he was parked...I never knew people where able to claim parking spots on a public street..In the winter time here people shovel out parking spots on the street in front of there houses, then try to save the spot with lawnchairs, or whatever else they got to put there...The city comes by and picks all the **** up off the street and cans it..
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 11:45 AM   #40
bob706

I've ridden with Brandon and seen where he lives. It's not a public street. It's in a townhome type of subdivision and I would be surprised if there wasn't accidents there all the time. Just the way the parking is layed out, it's kinda funky. I'm not defending him hitting the bike but it sounds like the way the bike was parked with a cover and the time of day and him being tired, it could have happened to the best of ya.
As far as chewing the bike owner out, just be cool about it.