ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 18th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #1
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Ground down rear brake

Hey all, haven't checked in for awhile cause I've been prepping for school but after my trip down here I noticed my rear brake is completely messed up.

The right pad of the rear brake is completely gone while the left pad is still intact. And I know there's no way that I wore through the pad as I use it less than the front brake which still has plenty of pad left. Any ideas? I checked alignment before I left for Portland, but I don't notice any steering problems. Nor do I notice any acceleration problems which I figured would accompany a grinding rear brake...

The only things I can think of are that the woodcraft rearsets don't come with a return spring so I've been riding without one. But the brake pedal returns on its own no? That or the people who mounted my new tires reinstalled the calipers wrong?!

Any ideas?
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

ah nvm. I couldn't wait anymore cause I didn't have any tools with me and I had to get it done before school officially started. Apparantly one of the pins was stuck and holding out the right side pad which was causing the uneven wear and was probably pushing up slightly against the wheel. So for anyone who might experience this same problem - have a look there.

Old August 18th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #3
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
The only things I can think of are that the woodcraft rearsets don't come with a return spring so I've been riding without one.
You can re-use the stock spring with the Woodcraft rear set. I did notice some dragging without the spring in place, but I suspect it was very minor.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcbride11 View Post
You can re-use the stock spring with the Woodcraft rear set. I did notice some dragging without the spring in place, but I suspect it was very minor.
really? I couldn't find out where to reattach it. You have any pictures of yours?

Old August 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #5
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

I just realized that I'm able to use the stock spring because I'm also using the stock brake pedal - I'm not sure if you can do that with the Woodcraft pedal.

You'd just put the spring through the whole in the brake pedal - like rockNroll mentions below, you should be able to do this regardless of the brake pedal you're using. Then you have to connect the top of the spring to the little aluminum donut, washer and screw provided by Woodcraft. This part isn't fun - you need to slide the spring over the little donut thing with everything unscrewed. It's easier to do it with two people, but I ended up just using an awl in one hand to pop get everything in place and then threading the screw just a little with my other hand. Then I was able to tighten it. You don't want to do this again, so use blue Loctite.

And here's the whole setup, for context. I don't know why the rearset looks purple, I'm thinking it's a combination of my flashlight, garage light and camera flash. It looks black during the day.

Last futzed with by smcbride11; August 19th, 2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Added pictures
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #6
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Yes, the woodcraft pedal has a hole for the spring. You hafta install the upper spring perch on the backside of the heel guard (it comes with the rear sets).
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote