ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old February 8th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

My "new" Katana 600

Not without a tinge of sadness, I found a new owner for my 2005 Ninja ZZR 250 today.

So now, I'm again a one-bike rider, with a new and current mount in the form of a 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600 in excellent all-round condition, who can purr, rumble, roar or scream, depending on her mood. And, yes, she can wheelie. She is 442 lbs dry compared to the Ninjette's 305 lbs, but is almost 3X more powerful, can do 0-60 mph in 4.1 secs (vs the new-gen Ninjette's 7.3 secs), the quarter mile in 11.5 secs (vs. the Ninjette's 14+ secs), and tops out at around 150 mph (vs the Ninjette's 105 mph). Nothing spectacular, but awesome to a new Ninjette expat, and will stay so for years to come.

Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #2
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Anthony will stay with us on this forum???
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
Anthony will stay with us on this forum???
Absolutely! And I will keep on extolling the Ninjette as being the perfect first sport bike.

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
Absolutely! And I will keep on extolling the Ninjette as being the perfect first sport bike.
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #5
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

Congrats on the new bike! I'm looking at getting one of these for my next bike also, but I'm wanting the newer version 98+. Anyhow nice looking bike and do you know about one of the best sites for Katanas? Is the weight difference that noticeable?
Tony

Old February 9th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
Congrats on the new bike! I'm looking at getting one of these for my next bike also, but I'm wanting the newer version 98+. Anyhow nice looking bike and do you know about one of the best sites for Katanas? Is the weight difference that noticeable?
Tony
Hi Tony, thanks for the Katriders link. I'll check it out.

About the weight difference (~50% increase from the Ninjette), I was expecting to drop the bike the first time I had to stop at a light, but to my happy surprise, I almost did not notice the weight differential at all. I suppose I have developed a pretty good sense of keeping the bike upright when at rest. I also have not noticed much of a decrease in the "flickability" of the bike. Counter-steering works just as well it seems. I suppose the difference will be felt when I have to duck-walk the bike backward up a slant, or have to physically lift the bike.

The Katana is not designed to break records. Even the newer model (as of 1998) is heavier than the later generation sport bikes, and is classified as a "sport touring" bike than pure sport. Were I a performance freak and every micro-second counts, I would have gone for a GSXR (instead of a GSXF) or a Honda CBR600RR or a Ninja 6R or 636. But frankly I'm so untuned at this point that all I can sense is the massive increase in power compared to the Ninjette, and the much more relaxed feel in interstate long-hauls.

I chose the older Katana model than the current one mostly because of the price. But I do appreciate its styling and, like the Ninjette, its proven reliability.

Anthony

Old February 10th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #7
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

Cool, thanks for the review/info. That's kinda what I was hoping, as my first bike was 100lbs heavier than the 300lb+ Ninja 250 that I've been riding for the last few years and I didn't really notice much of a difference except when picking it up (ouch!), backing it up, or pushing it and even then while noticeable it wasn't that big a difference.
Another reason I'm looking at the Katana is the huge difference in electrical power/capacity, again pointing towards a sport tourer rather than a sport bike, as I ride all year and would greatly appreciate being to able to run all of my heated gear.
Thanks, Tony

Old February 10th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
Another reason I'm looking at the Katana is the huge difference in electrical power/capacity, again pointing towards a sport tourer rather than a sport bike, as I ride all year and would greatly appreciate being to able to run all of my heated gear.
Thanks, Tony
I didn't even know about this. It will come in handy one day.

While on electricals, I've wanted to install a power outlet for my GPS (cig lighter socket) and other appliances (power bar). Anyone knows of any products on the market I could just hook up to the battery?

Thanks,
Anthony

Old February 10th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #9
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I found This cig lighter socket on amazon the other day while I was browsing, the only complaints I've read about are that the rings are too small to fit around the screws on the battery, which shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Old February 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #10
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

If you are going to get a cigarette lighter 12V socket, a good source would be a marine supply. These sockets are made to withstand the weather, including the salt water environment. Worth looking into.

Old February 10th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #11
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

Luv the older kats hate the newer style - I'd luv to get the 96 buts its just too old a bike for my commute... lookin into an 05 636 myself but it seems like a nice bike..
How many miles on it?
Posted via Mobile Device
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #12
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer View Post
Luv the older kats hate the newer style - I'd luv to get the 96 buts its just too old a bike for my commute... lookin into an 05 636 myself but it seems like a nice bike..
How many miles on it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the info about the cig-lighter socket, etc., fellas!

Love the bike. It has 40,000 km / 25,000 miles on it. Still feels pretty potent to me. Sure seems to love passing cars. I haven't had a chance of cranking it even to 50% yet, much less the max. Don't want any unwanted wheelies at this point. I intend to ride it as much and drive my car as little as possible.

You can't go wrong with the 636 - if the price is right.

Old February 11th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #13
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
I didn't even know about this. It will come in handy one day.

While on electricals, I've wanted to install a power outlet for my GPS (cig lighter socket) and other appliances (power bar). Anyone knows of any products on the market I could just hook up to the battery?

Thanks,
Anthony
Here's a link to Eastern Beaver's Socket Kits and his main site. He's well known for bike electrical products for bikes and heated gear too. I've got one of his relay switched 3 circuit modules, works great.
Tony

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #14
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Name: Debbi

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250 (Sold); 2008 Ninja EX500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr
Not without a tinge of sadness, I found a new owner for my 2005 Ninja ZZR 250 today.
HEY! This means I have to ride my bike all the way to Vancouver so we can ride together! Great, now I'll have to retire.

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #15
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRivero View Post
HEY! This means I have to ride my bike all the way to Vancouver so we can ride together! Great, now I'll have to retire.
No, ya don't. The guy backed out of the deal, and I'm glad he did. In my heart of hearts, I don't really want to let my Ninjette go.

So, when are you gonna come on over to ride my ZZR?

Old February 19th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #16
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great looking bike Anthony. I looks great alongside your ZZR.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote