ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 29th, 2017, 07:26 AM   #41
jkv45
Rev Limiter
 
Name: Jay
Location: WI
Join Date: Jul 2013

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 SV650n project, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Great options for new riders. Back in the early 80's I started on a dual purpose bike. Laid it down a few times and no biggie, it's meant for that. And learning on a nice tall bike helps get over the "OMG both heels of my feet need to be able to touch the ground!"

Great 1st bike: CRF250L.
I hear that all the time. When you start on dirt bikes you get over that really quick.

I never put both feet down at a stop on the street anyway.

Back in the day there was a kid that rode a RM 125 that must have been about 12 or 13 yrs old and maybe 5' tall. No chance of touching the ground with 1 foot even on his toes. His dad would hold the bike until he let the clutch out and catch him when he came back. He was fast as hell too.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote




Old December 29th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #42
Zaph42
ninjette.org guru
 
Zaph42's Avatar
 
Name: John
Location: Appleton, WI
Join Date: Apr 2015

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
My third bike was a new 1973 Kaw 500 triple. I just got out of college two years prior and I bought it with my first installment loan. I had no credit rating and got a "wink-wink" loan at the bank I was working for. I paid off the loan, established my credit rating and all was good. Not all new bike purchasers are nit wits. As a former bank loan collector I can attest to the horror stories told here also. In sum, it was the first and last motorcycle I ever financed. There's a-lot to be said about leaving a dealership on a brand new, squeaky-clean bike but intelligent decision is not one of them.

Bill
Mmmm... 500 triple. Everyone is forgiven for taking any route possible to get their hands on one. Truth is I'm guilty in a similar way. 1984 RZ350. I did a 2 year payment plan on it. My first bike though, in high school I worked all summer and saved money so I could buy a bike with cash. (CB400) After the RZ, the next few bikes I bought I made a point to save for them. 20 bikes later I always pay cash for bikes, especially race bikes at high risk of getting wadded up in the same year. I bought my 2013 675R with an inch high stack of 100s.

As far as "Not all new bike purchasers are nit wits" man hang out on the ninja 300 forum for a while. I've seen too many poor apartment dwellers say "I really want a new bike and I don't want to wait till next year." Building credit is a real thing to do, but too many people get in over their heads. Take out a loan for a reliable car you need and not a toy.
__________________________________________________
Ninja 300 - CCS Ultralight Thunderbike Racing
I want to "like" your post but I can't due to forum rules. Sorry.
Zaph42 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 29th, 2017, 09:30 AM   #43
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding
 
Triple Jim's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Location: North Central North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2016

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Take out a loan for a reliable car you need and not a toy.
Or better yet, take the bus until you can pay cash for the car.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote


Old December 29th, 2017, 10:18 AM   #44
JacRyann
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Name: Jonathan-Philippe
Location: SF Bay Area
Join Date: May 2017

Motorcycle(s): CB125T, N250R street-bike, N250R race-bike, pregen EX250F bike-in-a-box#1 & 2, Interceptor VF500F, CBR600RR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Or better yet, take the bus until you can pay cash for the car.
For many years, my bike and bicycles were main mode of transportation. Showed up many times at clients' offices sopping wet! Put away as much money as possible, invested most of it. After couple years, I was able to buy my dream cars & bikes with wads of cash!
JacRyann is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 29th, 2017, 11:24 AM   #45
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding
 
Triple Jim's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Location: North Central North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2016

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
For many years, my bike and bicycles were main mode of transportation. Showed up many times at clients' offices sopping wet! Put away as much money as possible, invested most of it. After couple years, I was able to buy my dream cars & bikes with wads of cash!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote


Old December 29th, 2017, 11:24 AM   #46
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Ram Jet's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
Join Date: Mar 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Posts: A lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Mmmm... 500 triple. Everyone is forgiven for taking any route possible to get their hands on one. Truth is I'm guilty in a similar way. 1984 RZ350. I did a 2 year payment plan on it. My first bike though, in high school I worked all summer and saved money so I could buy a bike with cash. (CB400) After the RZ, the next few bikes I bought I made a point to save for them. 20 bikes later I always pay cash for bikes, especially race bikes at high risk of getting wadded up in the same year. I bought my 2013 675R with an inch high stack of 100s.

As far as "Not all new bike purchasers are nit wits" man hang out on the ninja 300 forum for a while. I've seen too many poor apartment dwellers say "I really want a new bike and I don't want to wait till next year." Building credit is a real thing to do, but too many people get in over their heads. Take out a loan for a reliable car you need and not a toy.
An RZ350? Cool. I almost bought one but backed out when I saw all the drill holes for safety wiring. I figured the bike was raced. Later I learned that Yamaha installed drilled cap screws at the factory. Is that true? If the answer is yes I'll just have to find someone to kick me in the ass.

Bill
__________________________________________________
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results each time.
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 29th, 2017, 12:07 PM   #47
JacRyann
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Name: Jonathan-Philippe
Location: SF Bay Area
Join Date: May 2017

Motorcycle(s): CB125T, N250R street-bike, N250R race-bike, pregen EX250F bike-in-a-box#1 & 2, Interceptor VF500F, CBR600RR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Nov '17
AHHhhh... RZ350 brings back memories. Had one for a couple years while in school and roommates & I would run through the hills almost daily. They're hard to find nowadays. Most needs new cylinders & rings anyway; can be done in a couple hours.

However, Banshee motors are plentiful with huge aftermarket support. I'm looking at some for putting into my extra 2002 EX250 frame. Well... maybe a ZZR250 frame...
JacRyann is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 29th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #48
jkv45
Rev Limiter
 
Name: Jay
Location: WI
Join Date: Jul 2013

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 SV650n project, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
An RZ350? Cool. I almost bought one but backed out when I saw all the drill holes for safety wiring. I figured the bike was raced. Later I learned that Yamaha installed drilled cap screws at the factory. Is that true? If the answer is yes I'll just have to find someone to kick me in the ass.

Bill
I bought a new RZ350 back in '84 to replace my RD400, but I don't recall seeing any drilled holes in any of the fasteners.

A good majority of those made it to the track, so chances are that one did.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 29th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #49
Zaph42
ninjette.org guru
 
Zaph42's Avatar
 
Name: John
Location: Appleton, WI
Join Date: Apr 2015

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I bought a new RZ350 back in '84 to replace my RD400
Mmm 84 was a good year. I miss this bike, wish I had not sold it. But damn I really wanted one of those fast, new... gulp... 486 computers. Last year I saw a nice one for sale. He wanted $5K for it. The motors are rare because Banshee owners wanted them for the power valve system.


I had the cool seat cowl for mine. Factory pipes, good reeds, port and polish work, some other goodies and a dyno run printed on dot matrix that eventually faded into a yellow piece of paper with nothing on it.

Staying on topic though, definitely not a good beginners bike. It was my third bike after a few years riding.

Today I think a CBR250 is a great bike too. Super cheap on the used market. Thumpers are much harder to snub off the start. I do have a soft spot for thumpers. Got a hard spot for KTM 690 thumpers.
__________________________________________________
Ninja 300 - CCS Ultralight Thunderbike Racing
I want to "like" your post but I can't due to forum rules. Sorry.
Zaph42 is offline   Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 29th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #50
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding
 
Triple Jim's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Location: North Central North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2016

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Aug '17, Aug '16
There are usually several RZ350s at the annual Deals Gap 2-stroke meet, and once you start talking with that crowd, you'll find they're not that hard to come by. A friend let me ride his on the Dragon, and I really started thinking about getting my own. His is the one in my profile photo.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote


Old December 29th, 2017, 03:54 PM   #51
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Ram Jet's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
Join Date: Mar 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Posts: A lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Mmm 84 was a good year. I miss this bike, wish I had not sold it. But damn I really wanted one of those fast, new... gulp... 486 computers. Last year I saw a nice one for sale. He wanted $5K for it. The motors are rare because Banshee owners wanted them for the power valve system.


I had the cool seat cowl for mine. Factory pipes, good reeds, port and polish work, some other goodies and a dyno run printed on dot matrix that eventually faded into a yellow piece of paper with nothing on it.

Staying on topic though, definitely not a good beginners bike. It was my third bike after a few years riding.

Today I think a CBR250 is a great bike too. Super cheap on the used market. Thumpers are much harder to snub off the start. I do have a soft spot for thumpers. Got a hard spot for KTM 690 thumpers.
After eight riding seasons with a 1982 Honda FT500 Ascot thumper the only fun I had with it was having people ask me what the hell it was. I wouldn't take 10 for my 07' 250 Ninja.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0513.jpg (192.5 KB, 4 views)
__________________________________________________
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results each time.
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 29th, 2017, 10:15 PM   #52
Zaph42
ninjette.org guru
 
Zaph42's Avatar
 
Name: John
Location: Appleton, WI
Join Date: Apr 2015

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Posts: 256
Hey I like the Ascot! How bad could it have been if you were on it for 8 years?

I lusted after a Yamaha SRX 600. It's an acquired taste.
__________________________________________________
Ninja 300 - CCS Ultralight Thunderbike Racing
I want to "like" your post but I can't due to forum rules. Sorry.
Zaph42 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 29th, 2017, 10:30 PM   #53
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Ram Jet's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
Join Date: Mar 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Posts: A lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Hey I like the Ascot! How bad could it have been if you were on it for 8 years?

I lusted after a Yamaha SRX 600. It's an acquired taste.
I had a guy who wanted to buy it. I won't sell it there's just too much of me baked into it. I dumped the Keihin carb for a Mikuni and she's a really good runner. I have accumulated enough spare parts to keep it running until the year 2,100. Comparing the Ascot to the Ninja is like comparing a wood stove to a microwave. Thump this.

Bill
__________________________________________________
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results each time.
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 30th, 2017, 02:15 PM   #54
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
backinthesaddleagain's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Location: Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2009

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Posts: A lot.
Ascots are cool. I know a guy who raced a built FT in 1984 and won the expert championship up in the northeast on it. He still has it but it hasn't been run in years. Another guy I know raced the VT ascot. The twin with shaft drive.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 30th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #55
MLR
ninjette.org member
 
MLR's Avatar
 
Name: Mark
Location: Australia
Join Date: Feb 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Posts: 179
The issue in Australia IRT this is we use to have access to land where every man and his dog could jump on some form of dirt bike and have a play, these areas are now developed, metro areas at least, the kids just don't get the exposure.

As for Harleys, here in AU a 1200 Sportster will cost $20k and a Street 500 will cost you $10k, that is insane money for what they are, plus the Harleys we get here are mostly made in the factory in India, so we don't get to add to the bikes built in the US, sorry American workers.

Anyway, why would you get a 2017 Street 500 over a 2017 Duke 390 for $6.5 on the road.?

Another issue which has already been brought up is the congestion and the lack of skill of the tin top drivers, most more focused on their phone than their surroundings.
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 30th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #56
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Ram Jet's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
Join Date: Mar 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Posts: A lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
The issue in Australia IRT this is we use to have access to land where every man and his dog could jump on some form of dirt bike and have a play, these areas are now developed, metro areas at least, the kids just don't get the exposure.

As for Harleys, here in AU a 1200 Sportster will cost $20k and a Street 500 will cost you $10k, that is insane money for what they are, plus the Harleys we get here are mostly made in the factory in India, so we don't get to add to the bikes built in the US, sorry American workers.

Anyway, why would you get a 2017 Street 500 over a 2017 Duke 390 for $6.5 on the road.?

Another issue which has already been brought up is the congestion and the lack of skill of the tin top drivers, most more focused on their phone than their surroundings.
It's ironic that Indian built Harleys (get it - Indian Harleys?) but charges a 100% tariff on imported Harleys. looks like their ass might be a good target for Pres.Trump's right foot. He'll put a 500% tariff on their freakin' incense.

Bill
__________________________________________________
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results each time.

Last futzed with by Ram Jet; December 30th, 2017 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 30th, 2017, 05:54 PM   #57
JacRyann
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Name: Jonathan-Philippe
Location: SF Bay Area
Join Date: May 2017

Motorcycle(s): CB125T, N250R street-bike, N250R race-bike, pregen EX250F bike-in-a-box#1 & 2, Interceptor VF500F, CBR600RR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
It's ironic that Indian built Harleys (get it - Indian Harleys?) but charges a 100% tariff on imported Harleys. looks like their ass might be a good target for Pres.Trump's right foot. He'll put a 500% tariff on their freakin' incense.

Bill
Well, Trump should put his foot up Harley's management's *ss. They're the real problem.
JacRyann is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 30th, 2017, 07:28 PM   #58
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Ram Jet's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
Join Date: Mar 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Posts: A lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Well, Trump should put his foot up Harley's management's *ss. They're the real problem.
Don't get me goin'!!!! Erik Buell for President. No, D.O.T. Secretary. Yeah, that's the ticket! "A motorcycle in every garage."

Bill
__________________________________________________
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results each time.
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 30th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #59
MLR
ninjette.org member
 
MLR's Avatar
 
Name: Mark
Location: Australia
Join Date: Feb 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Posts: 179
More dedicated parking spots for bikes in the cities would be good, everyone complains about congestion, make it easier to park and alot more people would ride.

Also cheaper rego and third party insurance for bikes would help.

What breaks my balls is all the dedicated push bike lanes, which hardly get used because in the cities the push bike riders are mainly couriers who obey no traffic laws or have reguard for pedestrians, I believe if you are a push bike courier in the city you should be registered and pay for the lanes that have been made for them, they should stick to those lanes, and most importantly, obey the bloody road laws.

I also believe a more thorough assesment is required before being able to ride, and particularly drive, any vehicle on the road.

The old and current system was and are a joke, the requirments for a bike licence is more thorough than a drivers licence but IMO they both are severely lacking once you throw real world scenarios in.

I honestly believe people generally have no idea in reguards to the responsibility they have when they hit the road.

Burying friends and family due to their own or someone elses incompetence is tiresome.

BAN LOW PERFORMANCE DRIVERS NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE VEHICLES
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 30th, 2017, 11:23 PM   #60
cbinker
Track Clown
 
cbinker's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Location: Kingman, AZ
Join Date: May 2012

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '14 S1000RR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Or better yet, take the bus until you can pay cash for the car.
LOL, thats the problem with people that are unfamiliar with rural areas in cold climates. I rode bicycle all summer long, but once winter hit, you NEEDED warm transportation and busses did not exist for small towns. right now in my home town its -13 feels like -30.
__________________________________________________

TEAM ALFALFA
Unregistered swallows.
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 31st, 2017, 02:22 AM   #61
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Ram Jet's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
Join Date: Mar 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Posts: A lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
More dedicated parking spots for bikes in the cities would be good, everyone complains about congestion, make it easier to park and alot more people would ride.

Also cheaper rego and third party insurance for bikes would help.

What breaks my balls is all the dedicated push bike lanes, which hardly get used because in the cities the push bike riders are mainly couriers who obey no traffic laws or have reguard for pedestrians, I believe if you are a push bike courier in the city you should be registered and pay for the lanes that have been made for them, they should stick to those lanes, and most importantly, obey the bloody road laws.

I also believe a more thorough assesment is required before being able to ride, and particularly drive, any vehicle on the road.

The old and current system was and are a joke, the requirments for a bike licence is more thorough than a drivers licence but IMO they both are severely lacking once you throw real world scenarios in.

I honestly believe people generally have no idea in reguards to the responsibility they have when they hit the road.

Burying friends and family due to their own or someone elses incompetence is tiresome.

BAN LOW PERFORMANCE DRIVERS NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE VEHICLES
Agreed Mate. The same should apply here at the top side of the world.

Bill
__________________________________________________
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results each time.
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 31st, 2017, 02:24 AM   #62
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Ram Jet's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
Join Date: Mar 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Posts: A lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
LOL, thats the problem with people that are unfamiliar with rural areas in cold climates. I rode bicycle all summer long, but once winter hit, you NEEDED warm transportation and busses did not exist for small towns. right now in my home town its -13 feels like -30.
I had no idea that it got that cold in Arizona. Duh on me.

Bill
__________________________________________________
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results each time.
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 31st, 2017, 07:34 AM   #63
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding
 
Triple Jim's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Location: North Central North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2016

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
LOL, thats the problem with people that are unfamiliar with rural areas in cold climates. I rode bicycle all summer long, but once winter hit, you NEEDED warm transportation and busses did not exist for small towns. right now in my home town its -13 feels like -30.
I understand. My bus comment was meant to be a simplified version of "If you don't have money, don't buy an expensive vehicle until you save up and can buy it without getting a loan." My daughter drives a Ford Escort that she bought for $700 that she earned cutting lawns with her brother when they were in their early teens.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote


Old December 31st, 2017, 10:41 AM   #64
cbinker
Track Clown
 
cbinker's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Location: Kingman, AZ
Join Date: May 2012

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '14 S1000RR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I had no idea that it got that cold in Arizona. Duh on me.

Bill
Rural areas, and my HOME town.
__________________________________________________

TEAM ALFALFA
Unregistered swallows.
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 31st, 2017, 05:45 PM   #65
JacRyann
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Name: Jonathan-Philippe
Location: SF Bay Area
Join Date: May 2017

Motorcycle(s): CB125T, N250R street-bike, N250R race-bike, pregen EX250F bike-in-a-box#1 & 2, Interceptor VF500F, CBR600RR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
BAN LOW PERFORMANCE DRIVERS NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE VEHICLES
Yes, that's deadly combination:

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...455978983.html

I'm in favour of tiered licensing system for autos as many countries have for motorcycles. Start with 100bhp license for year or two with no citations before you can move onto 200bhp, etc.
JacRyann is offline   Reply With Quote


Old December 31st, 2017, 10:38 PM   #66
Zaph42
ninjette.org guru
 
Zaph42's Avatar
 
Name: John
Location: Appleton, WI
Join Date: Apr 2015

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Posts: 256
I would like to see Japan's licensing tiers here: 50cc, 125cc,400cc and larger.

Of course Harley would object to that. They wouldn't be able to sell 1800cc bikes to beginners anymore.
__________________________________________________
Ninja 300 - CCS Ultralight Thunderbike Racing
I want to "like" your post but I can't due to forum rules. Sorry.
Zaph42 is offline   Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 31st, 2017, 10:41 PM   #67
MLR
ninjette.org member
 
MLR's Avatar
 
Name: Mark
Location: Australia
Join Date: Feb 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
I would like to see Japan's licensing tiers here: 50cc, 125cc,400cc and larger.

Of course Harley would object to that. They wouldn't be able to sell 1800cc bikes to beginners anymore.
I would like to like this post, best I can do is >
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 1st, 2018, 11:10 AM   #68
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
VaFish's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Location: Northern Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2015

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 1997 Harley Sportster

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
.....
I also believe a more thorough assesment is required before being able to ride, and particularly drive, any vehicle on the road.

....

BAN LOW PERFORMANCE DRIVERS NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE VEHICLES
The Local DMV office was working with a local university testing a driving simulator for pre road tests last year. They had the simulator open for anyone that wanted to try it out, so while sitting there waiting for my number to be called I gave it a try. It was a pretty decent driving simulator and put you in some actual accident avoidance situations.

According to the guy running the simulator they are thinking about using it as a pre-test before you drive out on the roads for the real driving test , for anyone that has had their license suspended or revoked and for people over a certain age to show they still have the ability to drive.

Unfortunately it was only for automobiles, not bikes.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 1st, 2018, 11:14 AM   #69
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
VaFish's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Location: Northern Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2015

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 1997 Harley Sportster

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
I would like to see Japan's licensing tiers here: 50cc, 125cc,400cc and larger.

Of course Harley would object to that. They wouldn't be able to sell 1800cc bikes to beginners anymore.
While it seems like a good idea on the surface, do some comparison of motorcycle accident rates. England has a very similar licensing scheme to Japan and their motorcycle accident and death rate is higher than here in the US.

Heck just here in the US if you compare the accident and death rate of people who taught themselves to ride vs graduates of the MSF course the accident and death rate is almost identical, the only group that has higher accident rates are the ones who were taught by friends or family how to ride.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 1st, 2018, 11:44 AM   #70
Zaph42
ninjette.org guru
 
Zaph42's Avatar
 
Name: John
Location: Appleton, WI
Join Date: Apr 2015

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Posts: 256
Well, England is crowded with narrow streets. Probably not a fair comparison. Plus I'm pretty sure they all crash because they ride on the wrong side of the road.
__________________________________________________
Ninja 300 - CCS Ultralight Thunderbike Racing
I want to "like" your post but I can't due to forum rules. Sorry.
Zaph42 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 1st, 2018, 11:49 AM   #71
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding
 
Triple Jim's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Location: North Central North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2016

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Well, England is crowded with narrow streets. Probably not a fair comparison. Plus I'm pretty sure they all crash because they ride on the wrong side of the road.
I knew a guy who died because of a combination of riding on the left in England, and forgetting to put his side stand up. Here, if you forget, you often get shoved off the right side of the road in a left turn. There he got shoved into oncoming traffic.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote


Old January 1st, 2018, 03:12 PM   #72
JacRyann
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Name: Jonathan-Philippe
Location: SF Bay Area
Join Date: May 2017

Motorcycle(s): CB125T, N250R street-bike, N250R race-bike, pregen EX250F bike-in-a-box#1 & 2, Interceptor VF500F, CBR600RR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
While it seems like a good idea on the surface, do some comparison of motorcycle accident rates. England has a very similar licensing scheme to Japan and their motorcycle accident and death rate is higher than here in the US.

Heck just here in the US if you compare the accident and death rate of people who taught themselves to ride vs graduates of the MSF course the accident and death rate is almost identical, the only group that has higher accident rates are the ones who were taught by friends or family how to ride.
This just shows we need better MSF programme.

Depending on data you use, it may be interpreted in different ways. For example:
U.S. reports motorcycle fatalities as 72.3 per 100,000 registered bikes
U.K. reports motorcycle fatalities as 328 total in 2012.
Going by straight total fatalities, we are much worse.
U.S. 2004-2014 = +4000 motorcycle deaths per year
U.S. 2007-2008 = +5000 motorycycle deaths per year
This is comparing apples and oranges without knowing total registered bikes in U.S. and U.K. Decrease in deaths after 2009+ is attributed to lower numbers of people riding fewer miles. A better metric would be fatalities per person per 100,000 miles or some such that equalizes mileage ridden per person.

Another example is autos, with 2000 deaths in U.K. versus 30000 deaths in U.S. Even accounting for 5x larger population of U.S. versus U.K., that still makes us much, much more dangerous. Then again, comparison doesn't include mileage, which I think is really a requirement to make comparison more valid.

sources
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_U.S._by_year
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety
http://www.bikelawyer.co.uk/bike-accident-statistics
JacRyann is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 1st, 2018, 07:30 PM   #73
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
VaFish's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Location: Northern Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2015

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 1997 Harley Sportster

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
This just shows we need better MSF programme.

Depending on data you use, it may be interpreted in different ways. For example:
U.S. reports motorcycle fatalities as 72.3 per 100,000 registered bikes
U.K. reports motorcycle fatalities as 328 total in 2012.
Going by straight total fatalities, we are much worse.
U.S. 2004-2014 = +4000 motorcycle deaths per year
U.S. 2007-2008 = +5000 motorycycle deaths per year
This is comparing apples and oranges without knowing total registered bikes in U.S. and U.K. Decrease in deaths after 2009+ is attributed to lower numbers of people riding fewer miles. A better metric would be fatalities per person per 100,000 miles or some such that equalizes mileage ridden per person.

Another example is autos, with 2000 deaths in U.K. versus 30000 deaths in U.S. Even accounting for 5x larger population of U.S. versus U.K., that still makes us much, much more dangerous. Then again, comparison doesn't include mileage, which I think is really a requirement to make comparison more valid.

sources
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_U.S._by_year
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety
http://www.bikelawyer.co.uk/bike-accident-statistics
Don't look at raw numbers, look for numbers based on fatal accidents per million miles ridden. UK has about twice as many as USA.

Is training a good idea, yes I think so, but I don't see any data that shows mandatory training and tiered licensing leads to less motorcycle fatalities.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 2nd, 2018, 10:18 AM   #74
michvin
ninjette.org member
 
michvin's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Location: Northern NJ
Join Date: Nov 2014

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CB 500x

Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
More dedicated parking spots for bikes in the cities would be good
YES!!!
Where I work, I have to pay $20 a day for bike parking, which is prohibitively high. Have to use the alternative, aka train.
michvin is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 2nd, 2018, 12:16 PM   #75
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Ram Jet's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
Join Date: Mar 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Posts: A lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michvin View Post
YES!!!
Where I work, I have to pay $20 a day for bike parking, which is prohibitively high. Have to use the alternative, aka train.
As soon as New Jersey figures out a way to charge you for the air you breathe they will.

Bill
(former escapee from Flanders, N.J.)
__________________________________________________
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results each time.
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 2nd, 2018, 12:56 PM   #76
michvin
ninjette.org member
 
michvin's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Location: Northern NJ
Join Date: Nov 2014

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CB 500x

Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
As soon as New Jersey figures out a way to charge you for the air you breathe they will.

Bill
(former escapee from Flanders, N.J.)
They already do. It is called property tax... and our county is best at it
michvin is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 4th, 2018, 04:51 AM   #77
MrAtom
I drink gasoline
 
MrAtom's Avatar
 
Name: yes
Location: California
Join Date: Aug 2014

Motorcycle(s): dumb ugly pregen

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
...Unfortunately it was only for automobiles, not bikes.
I'd enjoy DMV visits if they had one of these things in there:

__________________________________________________
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote


2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 9th, 2018, 06:09 PM   #78
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts
 
InvisiBill's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Location: Grand Rapids-ish, MI
Join Date: Jul 2012

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 500R, '98 VFR800 (project), '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

Posts: A lot.
Blog Entries: 1
MOTM - Aug '15
I think it's a little bit of everything mentioned in the article. By the way, https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post...riders-with-us is the actual blog post for those of us late to the party.

Younger people are doing without vehicles more frequently now, even the 4-wheeled variety. Fewer vehicles overall means fewer bikes too.

Dealerships (again, even for cages) have come to represent about the worst buying experience possible. In trying to make more money (or lately, just stay afloat), they seem to have taken to grabbing at money however they can. They tack on all those fees previous posts have mentioned, for no apparent gain to the customer. They generally have a reputation of poor customer service. They simply get in the way, take your money, and treat you like crap. Gee, I wonder why new customers aren't lining up at the door?

Newer bikes are getting better and better. They last longer, which is going to reduce the number of followup sales. However, all the fancy new tech (some required by law, some just to say they have fancy new tech) increases the cost. As anything gets more expensive, you're simply going to have fewer buyers who can afford it.

Which gets into the final point mentioned. Their study didn't include anyone from outside the US.
Quote:
Had they done so, they might have place more emphasis on the single, fundamental difference between their markets and ours: that in other parts of the world, motorcycles are viewed as an affordable, convenient mode of transportation, while here, they are generally viewed as expensive recreational toys. In America, most people canít afford to have a motorcycle; in Vietnam, most people canít afford not to have one.
All the tech, safety features, and just "bigger/better" on US bikes, combined with the general population's attitude toward bikes, makes them expensive toys here. Due to the relative rarity of bikes here, I think I'd prefer to be riding in a third-world country than here if I were forced to go without my gear. Bikes are simply expected there, while people seem to see right through them here. Bikes being less common means bike-related things are more of a specialty (i.e. more $$$) and you're more likely to have someone run over you with their 17-ton SUV because their brain didn't register you as another vehicle. Expensive and dangerous aren't generally features that appeal to the mass market.


Some of these are chicken & egg problems. I don't know how we can make drivers more used to seeing bikes on the road without simply getting more bikes on the road. I don't know that we can drastically improve the sales process while making everything cheaper. In some cases, changing perception could position bikes as a solution to the problem. Maybe scooters and cheap bikes become a "good enough" vehicle for those who don't need/want a full car, but can't make walking/biking/busing work completely.


I generally agree with what others have said. I'm not going to go out and try to get everyone I know to buy a bike. I don't think anyone here wants to be on the road when every single person hops on a bike for the first time, at the same time. However, if someone expresses interest in it, I'll do my best to guide them. My brother has talked about getting a bike, but I'm not sure how much he's really into it. I'm trying to get him to take the MSF class. He can get a taste of riding without having to drop a bunch of cash on buying a bike and gear, it counts as his license endorsement, and I think it helps make you a better, more aware driver in general. He was looking at bikes (mostly little Ninjas) on CL, and I was explaining the pros and cons of newer vs. cheaper, etc. I'd much rather give someone lots of good info and have them decide that motorcycling simply isn't for them, than to have them invest a lot of money and regret it or even get hurt/dead just because I'm trying to further a cause.
__________________________________________________

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 9th, 2018, 06:29 PM   #79
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Ram Jet's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
Join Date: Mar 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Posts: A lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
I think it's a little bit of everything mentioned in the article. By the way, https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post...riders-with-us is the actual blog post for those of us late to the party.

Younger people are doing without vehicles more frequently now, even the 4-wheeled variety. Fewer vehicles overall means fewer bikes too.

Dealerships (again, even for cages) have come to represent about the worst buying experience possible. In trying to make more money (or lately, just stay afloat), they seem to have taken to grabbing at money however they can. They tack on all those fees previous posts have mentioned, for no apparent gain to the customer. They generally have a reputation of poor customer service. They simply get in the way, take your money, and treat you like crap. Gee, I wonder why new customers aren't lining up at the door?

Newer bikes are getting better and better. They last longer, which is going to reduce the number of followup sales. However, all the fancy new tech (some required by law, some just to say they have fancy new tech) increases the cost. As anything gets more expensive, you're simply going to have fewer buyers who can afford it.

Which gets into the final point mentioned. Their study didn't include anyone from outside the US.


All the tech, safety features, and just "bigger/better" on US bikes, combined with the general population's attitude toward bikes, makes them expensive toys here. Due to the relative rarity of bikes here, I think I'd prefer to be riding in a third-world country than here if I were forced to go without my gear. Bikes are simply expected there, while people seem to see right through them here. Bikes being less common means bike-related things are more of a specialty (i.e. more $$$) and you're more likely to have someone run over you with their 17-ton SUV because their brain didn't register you as another vehicle. Expensive and dangerous aren't generally features that appeal to the mass market.


Some of these are chicken & egg problems. I don't know how we can make drivers more used to seeing bikes on the road without simply getting more bikes on the road. I don't know that we can drastically improve the sales process while making everything cheaper. In some cases, changing perception could position bikes as a solution to the problem. Maybe scooters and cheap bikes become a "good enough" vehicle for those who don't need/want a full car, but can't make walking/biking/busing work completely.


I generally agree with what others have said. I'm not going to go out and try to get everyone I know to buy a bike. I don't think anyone here wants to be on the road when every single person hops on a bike for the first time, at the same time. However, if someone expresses interest in it, I'll do my best to guide them. My brother has talked about getting a bike, but I'm not sure how much he's really into it. I'm trying to get him to take the MSF class. He can get a taste of riding without having to drop a bunch of cash on buying a bike and gear, it counts as his license endorsement, and I think it helps make you a better, more aware driver in general. He was looking at bikes (mostly little Ninjas) on CL, and I was explaining the pros and cons of newer vs. cheaper, etc. I'd much rather give someone lots of good info and have them decide that motorcycling simply isn't for them, than to have them invest a lot of money and regret it or even get hurt/dead just because I'm trying to further a cause.
Great post and I agree with all off it. The best person to encourage (not sell) to ride is one that has it in their blood. Not the Game Boy graduate trying to impress the opposite sex. If someone wants to ride nothing will stop them - so help them. I bought my first bike and had to hide it from my parents for about 6 months. I parked it in my friend's garage. The person that's just curious - change the subject.

Bill
__________________________________________________
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results each time.
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote


Old January 9th, 2018, 07:50 PM   #80
Zaph42
ninjette.org guru
 
Zaph42's Avatar
 
Name: John
Location: Appleton, WI
Join Date: Apr 2015

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Posts: 256
Seems like all I ever do is talk people out of buying bikes. Too many new riders get in for all the wrong reasons. I had a buddy who was looking at getting a bike. He had two requirements:
  • Needs to be red
  • Needs to be faster than any car on the road
Screw new riders like that. I didn't hold back when I told him to stay off bikes, you poser. I talked him out of it by simply saying no, I won't ride with you.

Riders who I consider true motorcyclists just want to enjoy curvy roads (or the track) and can do so on bikes that aren't horsepower monsters. They aren't out there for an image or the cheapest way to get a 2:1 pounds to horsepower ratio.
__________________________________________________
Ninja 300 - CCS Ultralight Thunderbike Racing
I want to "like" your post but I can't due to forum rules. Sorry.
Zaph42 is offline   Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[roadracingworld.com] - WERA Offering Incentives To Existing Riders Who Recruit New R Ninjette Newsbot Motorcycling News 0 January 20th, 2014 11:10 AM
Another recruit from Vancouver, BC Aman13 New Members 10 March 3rd, 2013 08:03 AM
[superbikeplanet.com] - So, How Will New Yamaha WSBK Recruit Eugene Laverty Get Along Ninjette Newsbot Motorcycling News 0 October 20th, 2010 09:10 AM
Just another Kkim recruit cwb48 New Members 8 January 8th, 2009 06:16 PM
Another Kkim recruit Ichiro New Members 4 December 28th, 2008 06:40 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Motorcycle Safety Foundation

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 PM.


remote server monitor
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Except where otherwise noted, all site contents are © Copyright 2016 ninjette.org, All rights reserved.