ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 16th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #1
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Icon Alliance Speedmetal Yellow Helmet

Just picked up my new helmet. An ICON Alliance Speedmetal in bright yellow.

So here are my first ride impressions.

1. The helmet has a lot of vents....but doesnt seem to stay all that cool unless you are moving fast enough to force air into it. Of course its 90+ degrees outside right now, so no helmet is all that cool in this weather. Once you get moving at 45mph or more...you start to notice the airflow is pretty good. One thing that is really nice is the airvents not only have a flip-open port, but there are also adjustment knobs inside the helmet that you can use to adjust the airflow to your likeing. I can tell already, that closing off the adjustments and the vents is going to be nice and toasty in the winter time.

2. The padding fits my head really well. I originally wanted a Scorpion Exo1000, but even with the super duper extra large one...I couldnt get it on my head. The Icon fits pretty snug, but not so tight that it is restricting. Actually, its the best fitting helmet Ive ever had. It seems to fit perfectly. So if you have a large noggin, check them out.

3. The helmet is very lightweight at only 1600grams. Much lighter than my previous Fulmer Thrust helmet.

4. The helmet is very quiet. Much more sound proof than my Fulmer ever was.

5. The helmet has a liner that is supposed to be moisture wicking material. And it seemed to work pretty well in the hot weather. My head came out dry.

6. I also got the Icon Pro tinted visor. The visor release mechanism on the helmet seems to work really well. It does have matching side pieces that snap on over the hinges. The tinted visor is dark enough to keep that pesky sunlight out of your eyes...and surprisingly, if you get caught out after dark, you can still see out of it pretty well.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #2
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Ok, got a chance to run this thing up the interstate today.
I really REALLY like it for interstate travel.
The big things I noticed are that it really cuts down on wind noise, and no whistles..YEA!

Also, at interstate speeds, the vents really start working, and you stay nice and cool inside it.

The other thing I noticed is when I turn my head to check for lane changes, I dont get that side of the head 80mph wind blast that feels like its going to rip the helmet off...it stays put, and really works well.

So basically, if you are a commuter in stop n go traffic in the summer....this might not be the helmet for you. It needs airflow to stay cool.

If however you are a interstate traveler, or spend most of your time running 55mph+.....its a really nice helmet.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #3
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

I have the ICON Airframe and can't say enough about it....I enjoy all the vents and weight of it is amazing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_Icon_Airframe_Team_Helmet_Black.jpg (83.1 KB, 3 views)
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote