ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 21st, 2011, 01:47 PM   #1
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Talking Wet Leathers!!

So despite the weather forecast I was determined to go out for a ride to explore a little around the Virginia area. I rode down GW parkway, checked out turkey run park and then rode GW parkway the opposite direction all the way down thru Alexandria to Mount Vernon, turned around and rode Mount Vernon View Drive for about 15 miles before I turned back around to head back home because I could see the storms rolling in. Needless to say as I got closer to DC it was already starting to rain and by the time I got back on 395N towards base I was in a torrential down pour/thunder storm (not the first I've been caught in)

It was pretty funny/fun but I am just wondering about my white Dianese Racing leather jacket. It was only the second ride and it got rained on pretty good

I know that commercial leather needs to be treated almost immediately because its mostly crap and has crappy die jobs but so far I've read that high quality motorcycle leather like my Dianese can withstand a lot of torrential down pours. Even so, I was wondering if some of you guys have experience with this?

The jacket is brand new and it's the first rain it's ever seen. I don't have any conditioner yet but I might be going to target later. Not sure if they offer anything good tho. So far it's been hanging on its proper hanger in a cool, well ventilated place for about 30 mins or so. I took a clean cloth and wiped the water off the whole jacket and now It's just air drying. The leather is not sopping wet and already feels dry. It still feels soft and nice. The mesh liner on the inside is just damp.

I was also wearing my sidi st air boots. They were thoroughly soaked cuz they are perf and I got water splashed up my leg a good number of times So far I wiped them off and stuffed the insides with terry cloths and towels to absorb the water and help them dry.

I was also wearing my handroids and they are air drying as well.

I'm not too worried about it, but should I condition the jacket at all? Should I do anything else to the boots? They are made of lorica. Any good recommendations for a quality leather conditioner or one that is for light colored leather? I heard lexol makes some good stuff.

Old August 21st, 2011, 02:39 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
for my day to day leather wear, i have cortech lether gloves, a* leather jacket and boots... i've been completely soaked more than a few times in them and they seem to handle it just fine. i just dry off with a towel and throw the liner in the wash when i get home. i'd be surprised if a good quality piece of motorcycle leather gear wasn't pre-treated, but i could be wrong

Old August 21st, 2011, 03:15 PM   #3
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Leather cleaner & Conditioner

IMO

If you go to target (or an auto parts store), I would suggest you get a spray bottle of Lexol Cleaner as well as Lexol Conditioner. They have been excellent over the years on my Dainese suits. If you feel like splurging, try zymol leather cleaner and zymol creme leather conditioner.

White leathers benefit the most from religious use of leather cleaner but use your aesthetics as a guide regarding when to clean the leather. Using a quality leather cleaner correctly on Dainese leathers will not fade the colors. In any case, before the leather is truly dry and if it is clean to your satisfaction, I would take a silver dollar sized dollop of either brand's conditioner and work it into the back of the jacket following the conditioner's instructions, two nickel sized spots for each sleeve and a quarter on either side of the zippered front.

I had a Dainese Kenny Roberts Replica Two-Piece set that I kept in fabulous condition that way for 25 years. Rain, bugs, sweat, dirt, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Last futzed with by ducducgooseit; August 21st, 2011 at 05:36 PM.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 04:01 PM   #4
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Don't sweat it. Many people put new/wet leathers on just to get them conformed for a better fit, just like gloves.

Old August 21st, 2011, 04:34 PM   #5
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
My Astars leather suit got SOAKED during a downpour on the twisty, mountain section of Hwy 28 in NC. I was soaked even through my boots and socks. I was afraid my gear was going to be affected, but it wasn't at all. It fit just fine afterward...and after the next one, and the next...

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 04:43 PM   #6
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

If you get it wet, and let it dry without keeping a conditioner in the leather, it will eventually dry out and crack.....I dont care what kind of leather it is.....unless its fake pleather.

If your gonna spend that kind of money on Dianese leathers....spend the money to keep them in top shape.

If you want to know what to use on them....contact Dianese. Im guessing that they will tell you to use Zymol.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM   #7
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Thanks everybody! I will get some good cleaner and conditioner just for the heck of it in a couple days or so...I want to baby this jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post

If you want to know what to use on them....contact Dianese. Im guessing that they will tell you to use Zymol.
They have a kit of their own that I would imagine they would recommend to me, I heard it was crap tho. I'll see if I can find some of this lexol or zymol stuff tho.

Old May 25th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #8
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

I got caught in a thunderstorm and my leather suit, gloves and boots got completely soaked. The gear is still wet. So should I put the conditioner on while the leather is still wet or should I wait until it is completely dry? Thanks!
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote