ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

View Poll Results: Would you collect money owed after remembering it 6 months later?
Yes, I would collect and would not stop until I did 6 46.15%
No, money is not an issue for me 2 15.38%
I would apologize for the inconvenience & explain situation & collect but would not chase after that 5 38.46%
I would explain situation but would not collect & ask for future favor when I'm in need 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 1st, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Money Conscientious???

Not so much spending habits but lending money and remembering to collect?

Either I'm fooking so rich or I got such a terrible memory that I tend to forget who owes me what. Pretty sure it's the latter.

I've had my employer reissue checks (even though I have direct deposit this was for something else) several times because I forgot to deposit it. And just now I found a $200+ check I totally forgot to cash written out 6 months ago.

If I think real hard I'm pretty sure I can think of people who owe me money but ehh...is it really worth chasing after? Would you? Let's say it's anywhere from $500-$1000 but it's been 6 months since you've last communicated with the other party. Would you try to collect?

Old January 1st, 2012, 12:47 PM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

It would depend on how much I needed the money. If I was in a tight spot and needed the money then I would. But, if it would just be a bonus, then I wouldn't worry about it. I might mention something casually but nothing like "hey I need that money you owe me" sort of thing.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
It would depend on how much I needed the money. If I was in a tight spot and needed the money then I would. But, if it would just be a bonus, then I wouldn't worry about it. I might mention something casually but nothing like "hey I need that money you owe me" sort of thing.
I'm in the same boat as this. Generally, small favors like $20-pay-me-backs I never care about. Something on the order of say, $1000 though, I'd be more inclined to pursue to get back especially under circumstances where I needed it

Old January 1st, 2012, 01:23 PM   #4
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Is there any sort of contract involved??
I try not to lend money to my friends. It hardly ever works out. When I do lend money to a select few, I look at it as more of a gift and If I get it back its a bonus.
If you signed a rental agreement with me.
Im after every penny. Forever, if thats how long it takes.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post

If I think real hard I'm pretty sure I can think of people who owe me money but ehh...is it really worth chasing after? Would you? Let's say it's anywhere from $500-$1000 but it's been 6 months since you've last communicated with the other party. Would you try to collect?
I'd collect it with interest.

Old January 5th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #6
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

I don't lend friends money usually but have a few times. I have however given people money who were in need even though they asked to borrow it.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #7
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I'm pretty easy. I never loan more than I can afford to walk away from, and I always remember who and how much I loaned to. Sometimes I'll take repayment in trade, but generally that's only when that option's been previously discussed. I never loan twice to someone who renigs on a deal, ever. Once that bridge is burned it's gone forever. I explain this up front, even to my best friends. My deals are always hand-shake. I've loaned as little as $400, as much as $3,000 cash out of pocket. Only one person ever permanently failed to pay back. We're still friends, but he knows better than to ask me for anything.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #8
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

It depends on how much that money means to you. I'm inclined to think that if you just forgot about it for 6 months then you must not be hurting for money. On the other hand you should not have to collect money owed in the first place; the other party should have repaid the money owed without you pushing the issue.

Personally I'm poor, so I would collect on the money owed, but I'm so poor that I would not have been able to loan several hundred dollars to anyone in the first place. Unless you are well off to the point where several hundred dollars is pocket change to you, I would advise to collect.

Old January 6th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #9
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I've got some loans out going back a few years. I don't need the money, so I don't make a push for it. But that doesn't mean I forgot about it. I'll collect on it when I feel like time is up.