ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 22nd, 2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Uzakiuzu
ninjette.org member

Name: Trevon

Motorcycle(s): None yet- (Hoping to purchase the Ninja 300)

Asking for help

So here I am, recently I have been scouting this website to find a lot of useful information. It's about that time for me to purchase a bike. I was planning on the 250 at first. I mean it was a great option to choose. Very sleek bike. Nice on the eyes and good enough to say "HEY WORLD I OWN A MOTORCYCLE". Of course there were just a couple of drawbacks behind it. The main drawback I had with it was that I heard it could do the freeway,BUT it isn't really...for the freeway. See I do most of my traveling to and from work by going on the expressway. A good 20 minute ride going the speed limit of 55. Then the beautiful Ninja 300 released itself to us. It's perfect I thought additional HP, and IMO looks better, loving the Digital dash. Now I've been waiting to get a motorcycle for..the past 3 years. (AGE: 19) Never touched a bike. I've had a 250cc motorbike or whatever those are called.

PROBLEM I'm getting highly impatient and since the price for the 300 ABS is 5.5k no taxes added to that price etc I'm down quiet a bit. I've only accumulated 2.4k I was selling my wii, xbox 360, and psp and a couple of other things. To get my money to at least get 3k. Considering this is a new bike which I'm not even sure if they have been released to dealerships. (Checking today) I'm a bit worried they won't finance me. The 3k was going to be my Down payment.
I've calculated my payments my bills to pay and I still had plenty enough to pay the bike on time. I work at a job that is a great job. Is there a way around the following.... All advise is appreciated

+Age: 19 (They consider me young)
+Credit Score- Little to none (No experience)
+ Down Payment of 3k (New Bike- Not enough MONEYYYYY)
+Monthly Income- Roughly 2k a month(....)
Uzakiuzu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 05:17 AM   #2
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

Most likely you'll need a cosigner, if you have no credit.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 05:20 AM   #3
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Also amigo, the 250 is fine on the highway. Going 80mph is fine. Going 90 mph is fine. If I were in your financial situation, I would get a newgen (08+) used. As its your first bike, you're likely to drop it. I sure as **** would not want to drop a brand new 2013 300 Ninja due to lack of experience.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 05:20 AM   #4
Uzakiuzu
ninjette.org member

I agree on the dropping part. Other than that do you see a problem with the situation? I know it can do 80-90 but isn't the ninja 250's RPM pretty high for highway speeds. I don't want to damage anything if it can't handle being at such RPM's.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 05:27 AM   #5
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

You're not going to damage the bike doing what its built to do. The ninja has super high RPMS, regardless. As long as you're not constantly redlining, you're fine.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 05:54 AM   #6
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

if going in w 3k (about half the bikes value) you should get financed just fine... it's not a 10+k car.

New may not be what you really need... u can get a great used 250 for 3k no financing involved. Ride it for a yr or two and sell it for 2000-2500, then go for a brand new bike.
You'll be a lot less depressed and WAY cheaper to fix when you do lay it down too!!!!!!!!!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 05:55 AM   #7
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
if going in w 3k (about half the bikes value) you should get financed just fine... it's not a 10+k car.

New may not be what you really need... u can get a great used 250 for 3k no financing involved. Ride it for a yr or two and sell it for 2000-2500, then go for a brand new bike.
You'll be a lot less depressed and WAY cheaper to fix when you do lay it down too!!!!!!!!!
+1

Old September 22nd, 2012, 06:52 AM   #8
bbonds007
The Bonds

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 06 Yellow Ninja

If you have not already...

#1 BUY YOUR GEAR
#2 PRICE YOUR INSURANCE

...before you buy the bike.That is at least another $1,000 right there.

My advice, get a newgen, or even an old gen (if you like them). The 250 ninja can easily do highway without even blinking. Anyone who says otherwise is probably a squid who has never ridden a 250cc before. A ninja 250 redline's at 13k, you will only hit 7-8k going 60-70mph, which I believe is the bike's ideal rev speed anyways.
bbonds007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 07:31 AM   #9
sc37
ninjette.org member

Name: SC

Motorcycle(s): Currently: 2012 Honda NC700X; Previously: 2010 Ninja 250R

Louisville? I'm there right now for school. Come buy my newgen 250 so I can get a 300! I travel highways all the time and made a couple road trips on my 250 even, it's not a problem.
sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:01 AM   #10
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

I ride 50 miles to school (100 mile round trip), 90% on the interstate with 70mph posted speeds. I go about 85mph most of the time, and the rpm is around 9,000-10,000 (I put a 15t front sprocket on it) and isn't a problem at all.

If your road is only 55mph, that's nothing, you won't see any problems speed-related, heck I cruise at 55mph on most roads (aside from 30mph zones and the interstate, obviously).

If you want to get a 300, keep in mind, a lot of the 'farkles' and after-market stuff may not fit the 300, whereas, the 250 has been out for 4 years and you won't have any issues there. I bring this up in regards to frame sliders, if you wanted to get them to protect your bike from a drop :P
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:38 AM   #11
hamah
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): 1980 Honda CB 750........2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Whatever you do,do your self a huge favor and take a certified motorcycle training and safety course Before you ride.I am 66 years old and just completed such a course and I am so happy I did.You scare me that you are already talking about the highway and haven't even ridden!!!!There is too much to lose with out arming yourself with all the skills and knowledge you possibly can.And I also want to add that buying a used 250 would be financialy in your favor and would take away the fear of dropping a new bike.Whatever happens just use your head.
hamah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:10 AM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzakiuzu View Post
........Now I've been waiting to get a motorcycle for..the past 3 years. (AGE: 19) Never touched a bike............
Uzakiuzu,

As an inexperienced virgin, would you marry a beautiful experienced lady, very attractive to other males?

Don't wait any longer!!

You have priorities to satisfy, and a late model, expensive, shinning motorcycle, which is highly valued by bikes' thieves is the last and least recommendable of those priorities.

All above advice is very good; I would add that your training and reading on bike operation and traffic survival are your top priorities.
You need to learn much and quickly; your physical integrity depends on it.

Secondly, you need good protection in the form of gear and insurance.

Thirdly, you need to learn how to do basic work on your bike.

Your first motorcycle is going to receive a lot of abuse from your lack of skill and knowledge, which will reduce its resale value greatly and quickly.

Any well maintained Ninja 250, ugly or pretty, partially or totally naked, first or second generation will make a better motorcycle for you in every possible way.

Find somebody experienced enough to help you find that first bike; but please, please, please, postpone the buying of a brand new motorcycle for a year or more.

Yes, any well maintained Ninja 250 is perfectly suitable for expressway use.
My 2007 Ninja 250 (pre-owned $1800 bike) has been traveling 30 miles on expressway at 10K rpm sustained every workday for several years, and is still very strong and trouble free.

My secret? Treating her like the amazing lady she is, keeping total control on her and keeping both safe from unsafe drivers.

Last futzed with by Motofool; September 26th, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:01 PM   #13
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

My ZX6R wants to slap me for not keep the RPMs up. The 250R loves - hell all Kawasaki bikes - high RPMs. I would agree with everyone about a used '08+ compared to a new 2013. Nothing worse than wrecking/dropping a bike you're still making payments on - everyone will have a mishap on the first bike they own at some point. I say minimize the feeling of regret by getting a used bike now.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:09 PM   #14
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled), 2007 Yamaha R6(Sold), 2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition W/O ABS

I'm not sure if you know this or not but like others have said gear is expensive.
Make sure you have your gear especially for freeway riding. Also, I didn't listen when people told me to buy used and I regret it. You will feel like an asshole for dropping a new bike. If you buy used, you can learn to ride better and not worry about dropping it. That's how it was for me anyway.
robertkh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:19 PM   #15
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Like others have said, it really isn't bad on the freeway. I've gone on hour long trips at about 80-85mph indicated several times and been fine. I would say the only thing is your butt might hurt after riding that far, because the seat isn't that great but you're young like me so that probably won't be a factor.
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:23 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.chin View Post
Also amigo, the 250 is fine on the highway. Going 80mph is fine. Going 90 mph is fine. If I were in your financial situation, I would get a newgen (08+) used. As its your first bike, you're likely to drop it. I sure as **** would not want to drop a brand new 2013 300 Ninja due to lack of experience.
What the ****!? Good advice? Holy ****!

Anyway dude, the bike is meant to live at 10-12k, thats where it is happy. If you don't like that you can ride it at lower rpms like a little girl. You can redline this bike all day long

No you will not get financed. I was 20yrs old with a credit score of 720 when I tried to get my first bike, no one would finance me without a cosigner.

As others have said get a newgen for cheap so you can start riding sooner. Nothing will feel worse than putting 6k into a new bike and then having a tip over in the driveway.

Before you get a bike though you need to get gear and also get quotes for insurance. Here is why insurance is important
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:08 PM   #17
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

my 2fiddy can do 55 in 2nd gear, granted it will hit the rev limiter at 60 but you can do any posted speed limit at 4th gear easy
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:19 PM   #18
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
What the ****!? Good advice? Holy ****!

Anyway dude, the bike is meant to live at 10-12k, thats where it is happy. If you don't like that you can ride it at lower rpms like a little girl. You can redline this bike all day long

No you will not get financed. I was 20yrs old with a credit score of 720 when I tried to get my first bike, no one would finance me without a cosigner.

As others have said get a newgen for cheap so you can start riding sooner. Nothing will feel worse than putting 6k into a new bike and then having a tip over in the driveway.

Before you get a bike though you need to get gear and also get quotes for insurance. Here is why insurance is important

I was financed on my bike. Being 21, with a credit score of 780, though.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:21 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Yep, when I applied the credit union told me that in 3 months I'd have enough credit history to get a loan. That was over a year ago. Now I'm up to a 750!
AFM #676

Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:23 PM   #20
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Quote:
I agree on the dropping part. Other than that do you see a problem with the situation? I know it can do 80-90 but isn't the ninja 250's RPM pretty high for highway speeds. I don't want to damage anything if it can't handle being at such RPM's.
I've ridden for hours on end between 80-100 MPH. The bike will be fine.

Get a used bike you can own outright for a first ride. Insurance will be cheaper and when you drop it or wad it up you're not stuck paying off a loan. You need to set aside cash for good gear (you will regret buying cheap gear) and since you've never touched a bike before I'd set aside cash for a MSF course.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:31 PM   #21
Solunatic
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1990 Ninja 250 "Jolene"

I doubt you'll get financed without a cosigner. I also agree with the general consensus here that a 08-12 model would be the best for you. If it's the highway you're concerned about, don't be. I have more passing power and freeway capability than my old ford tempo did.

also something to think about with any new product, though maybe less applicable here with the ninja 250's long history, it takes a year or two of real world abuse of the product for the producer to tweak things to fix problems they didn't find in their testing. So it may be prudent to wait a year or two before buying the 300 even without your financial issues.
Solunatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 06:30 PM   #22
blink
Always.

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Buy a used?

No point in financing at your age, youll go to school and have more to pay for

Old September 23rd, 2012, 06:51 PM   #23
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Buy used, pay cash. You can get a pregen in good shape for under 2K, and put the rest into good gear and insurance.

55 freeway speeds are cake. I live in a state where freeways are 75 and people go 85; I'm not having any problems.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:27 PM   #24
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Not even considering money.....
statistically squeaking...no...I meant speaking:
you'll want a 600 the first time someone passes you
you'll sell the 300 in a year, possibly 2 to get the 600. So, given that its your first real moto...consider getting some wart of a bike ( honda rebel, old sooki savage) and maybe learn to ride. And...you DO relaize that in all cases...if there's a lien on your bike...full coverge insurance is mandatory. from what I've seen on this board, you young'uns are paying more for insurance than the bikes are worth.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:29 PM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Insurance is not for covering the bike....
AFM #676

Old September 24th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #26
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
you'll want a 600 the first time someone passes you
If that's anyone's attitude on the matter then motorcycles aren't really a good idea for that individual.

Old September 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #27
zenn92
ninjette.org member

Name: Emil

Motorcycle(s): '10 250R

I'm in the same situation as you OP - really unsure if im going to get the 300 or the 250. The 300 is awesome as fuark tho! I'm not getting the bike until next summer anyways, so until then i'll work hard, earn money, get some gear and do some thinking. insurance is prolly gonna be a bitch too.
zenn92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #28
Warstrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Vlad

Motorcycle(s): none yet (deposit for Ninja 300 ABS)

If you really want 300, wait, save more money and buy one next year including some quality gear. Just be patient.

I am not sure what is you monthly spending but with 2K monthly income and some very frugal spending you should be able to save enough in the next 6-8 month.
Warstrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #29
Uzakiuzu
ninjette.org member

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my question. You all said great things that played a huge factor. Like you guys said it would be smart to just get the 250 so that's what I decided to shoot for. Even though the HARD HEADED inexperienced, young attitude says choose the 300. The smart wise thing to do would be what you guys said.

P.S Jiggles- That is just heartless...faster than Uzaki's 250 -_-;
P.S.S MotoFool- That was a beautiful read. Made me cry and smile at the same time :')

*Don't take offence If I didn't respond to your message. I would take the time to respond to everyone if I wouldn't get a infraction or something for mindless talking.*

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #30
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Like you guys said it would be smart to just get the 250 so that's what I decided to shoot for.
Get the 250

Old September 26th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #31
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i know you don't want to hear it, but ...

get an old gen

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #32
Uzakiuzu
ninjette.org member

Eeee how old we talking hahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
i know you don't want to hear it, but ...

get an old gen

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #33
lgk

Quote:
Eeee how old we talking hahaha
something under $1000 probably an 2004 or under
not too bad, lol

look for a cheap bike, and work on it.
you'll be more comfortable practicing throttle control.
you will save a lot on insurance, but still get good coverage with the older bike.
get some good gear and take the msf.

after a year get the 300.
you'll be a much better rider then, have saved up more, and hopefully you'll be able to afford the full coverage with gap insurance for the new bike.

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #34
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE

Just remember, a brand new bike is 3,999 OTD, add on Tags, Title, Doc fees and all the other stuff, your up around 6,000 for a never been ridden, no milage bike with a factory warranty.

Used gets you what you want faster, working on it helps make you more in tune with the bike and you wont be quite so upset if you drop it, cause it did not cost an arm and a leg to get it in the first place.

These guys who tell you to buy used are spot on. I kinda wished I had done the same when I bought mine, but I am of the opinion that new is best. I could have saved a lot of money and put it into the mods that make it mine.

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #35
Warstrider
ninjette.org member

Thumbs up

Quote:
something under $1000 probably an 2004 or under
not too bad, lol

look for a cheap bike, and work on it.
you'll be more comfortable practicing throttle control.
you will save a lot on insurance, but still get good coverage with the older bike.
get some good gear and take the msf.

after a year get the 300.
you'll be a much better rider then, have saved up more, and hopefully you'll be able to afford the full coverage with gap insurance for the new bike.
Get 300 now so you can get the girls/guys with your new shiny toy. Imagine doing wheelies with new green SE 300 rather than cheap looking pregen

Who cares about the insurance and dropping your bike. Just get some frame sliders and you good to go!

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #36
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warstrider View Post
Imagine doing wheelies with new green SE 300
Hahahahahahahahhahaha. Yeah, keep dreaming kid!

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #37
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warstrider View Post
Get 300 now so you can get the girls/guys with your new shiny toy. Imagine doing wheelies with new green SE 300 rather than cheap looking pregen

Who cares about the insurance and dropping your bike. Just get some frame sliders and you good to go!
are you alex.s troll account?

ehhh, maybe not, his troll account actually give good advice, lol.

Old September 26th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #38
Warstrider
ninjette.org member

Quote:
are you alex.s troll account?

ehhh, maybe not, his troll account actually give good advice, lol.
I am not. But seriously though...

Lets say I have cash and can afford to buy new. As a new rider would not new 300 benefit me as below compared to 250:
1. ABS+slipper clutch+FI
2. Better handling if a little heavy person
3. Warranty
4. Adding frame sliders if dropping
5. Peace of mind - as it is new

plus features like cool dash and overall design would add confidence and higher likelhood for getting on the bike and training rather than be embarassed getting on it.

I feel the OP will be itching to get 300 fast after buying old 250.

Old September 26th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #39
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.chin View Post

I'm not a fan of freeway riding, BELIEVE ME! but I take the old '08 on the freeway in and around Charlotte ALOT. Today I did over 80 miles on I-40 and I-485 and a couple of local freeways, mostly at 70+mph(emphasis on the plus). Unless your going BIGGER (meaning heavier by 100+ pounds - the Ninjette does get bounced around by heavy winds and big truck turbulence) make that first bike a USED newgen (or heck, thee's not a thing wrong with and OLDGEN). By wisely and you can even MAKE money on the used bike (something that won't happen with the new bike) and be able to pay cash for the 300 in a couple of months. ($2k amonth - what else are you spending you money on? I suggest you get to the bank and get a CC with a $500 limit if you want to build credit.)

JMTCW
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #40
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/3288785043.html
http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/3271260659.html
http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/3298768891.html
http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/3225258023.html
http://bloomington.craigslist.org/mcy/3210347171.html

Couple new gens, couple of old gens.

ORDER OF PRIOORITY

Basic Riders Cpourse
Gear
Insurance - (don't worry about the bike - spend the extra bucks on Liability and Medical) - ask Jiggles
Get a black bike - (ask Jiggles)
Ride the piss out of it
Maintain it
Ave money for the 300

Got it meathead - :LOL:

Hope it helps
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote