ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 28th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #1
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

Road Trip List

so im going for my first long trip on the bike ever, i have rode for about 2-3 hours non stop just hitting semi local twistys n what not. but this will be a 4ish hour ride from Nashville to Gatlinburg, and i was wanting to ask some of you vets what you recommend i pack and what i need to do to my ninja to get her ready?

after 4 days in Gatlinburg, before we go home we are taking a day trip to the dragon, so the ride back will be 5 and a half hours.

ill let you know some things to help yall assess the situation.

• Bike has saddle bags and a medium tank bag.
  • I will be wearing a Large back pack that can fit 3 laptops + more
  • I have new tires and brakes
  • I have my brother riding another ninja
  • 2 buddies will be driving their cars so ill have extra storage space and gas cans
  • and im going to change my oil before we ride

Pre thanks for yalls thoughts!

Old February 28th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Damn, having car storage space behind you is ridiculously convenient. I'd say pack the essentials + some cash but I know that I'm missing a lot as I typically do my 4+ hour trips as a there and back type thing, or I'm headed down to visit my grandparents at their beach house which has a permanent set of supplies already there for me. I'm interested to know what comes up as suggested seeing as I'm planning to ride in the ninjette dragon slaying group in may and that's a pretty long ride from MD.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:40 AM   #3
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Don't forget to check tire pressure!!!!

I know it's obvious...but I've never done a trip like that before and wanted to contribute

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2014, 02:14 AM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I think by now everyone knows I'm cuckoo on rides, but just in case, I'm really cuckcoo. With that said, I'll make my advice more in the realm of normalicy.

4 hours? Mostly along I-40 so guessing around 240 miles? Then four days chilling out, with another 5 and a half hour ride home, so give it another 330 miles, ish?

Well, let's see. There will be at least one stop necessary on the ride out (unless you are borrowing @greenaero's bike) so to make life easy ride for two hours or so till you need to fill up since you are used to that saddle time anyway. Stop, fill up, walk around, stretch, then finish the trip to Gatlinburg. Nothing special needed beyond the everyday TCLOCK check.

For your stay over, your own personal packing habits will rule here. I can live out of a carry on for a week, my mom need three suitcases for a weekend. But that's why you have the car. My only week long bike trip was well before I figured out I don't need much so i over packed and had the saddlebags and tailbag stuffed full. For my big vacay later this year, I am thinking only two changes of clothes that are simple to wash and quick to dry so each night at the hotel I won't scare commoners if I venture out into public.

For the return trip, the only thing I'd add would be some means of lubing the chain as you will cross the 300-400 mile recommendation from the manual. Fill up with gas before heading to the Dragon then again on the way home and you should be okay for break times to not get stiff and sore. Be sure to get off the bike and walk around for a bit, even take your helmet off to give your head some fresh air.

Again, nothing special as it's not that long of a ride for the bike. You are going to be the weak link so make sure you keep yourself focused by giving yourself breaks periodically.

Specifics that I personally would take?

I mostly ride solo, so I have stuff for flat tires, blown bulbs, oil leaks, and inclement weather plus cash for towing or gratuity. I have a headset to listen to tunes, a GPS to be sure of my route, and a phone for calls or road condition checks when stopped for gas. I have a backpack with a hydration bladder in it for water and a small tupperware container in the tank bag for snacks (jerky, cookies, snap peas, and carrots work great!).

Hope some of that helps, kind of rambling but given the time I am rather blurry eyed at the moment.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2014, 06:17 AM   #5
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Let your friends carry the backpack in the car. Less weight on your back, and better if for some reason you should crash. Backpacks can lead to more severe injuries by stressing the spine.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2014, 06:36 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Four hours one way? That's nothing. Not even close to a tour. It's a short day trip.

On weekends I'll ride an hour (even an hour and a half) just to get to the good twisties, then ride all day, then ride home. That's with zero prep.

Fill the tank, kick the tires and go.

Advice for spending a long time in the saddle: I'd stop more frequently than needed for fuel. Do it once per hour (or, if you want to make it line up with your fuel stops, at half tank -- 100 miles) even if you don't feel the need, get off the bike and walk around for about a minute. That will keep you from cramping up and getting sore. Works like a charm.

I wouldn't worry about lubing the chain during the trip. It's not going to suddenly seize up and kill you at 401 miles. Just do it before you leave and when you get back, and you'll be fine.

With all due respect to Teri, Nevada is vast open spaces where you can ride for hours and not encounter a soul. At least that's my perception of Nevada... I've only been there once, was in Vegas and did a day trip out into the desert.

Most of the rest of the country isn't like that. It's chockablock full of towns, service stations, places to buy things... you know, civilization.

Most important tools you can bring with you: Cell phone and credit card. Least important tools: The contents of your toolbox and enough spares to rebuild the bike. Really, you're not going to be doing anything serious in the way of maintenance or repair beyond maybe changing a burnt bulb or tightening a fastener that's vibrated loose.

My wife likes to pack as if we're headed to the Northwest Territory. I point out that pretty much anywhere you go, you're within minutes (or less!) of a shopping center. We REALLY don't need to carry enough travel-size toothpaste and shampoo to last a month. If we need a T-shirt or socks, we can buy them at a Walmart EXACTLY like the one at home, for the same price.

Gas cans? Really? Do you carry jerry cans for a half-day trip in your car?

I did a 2500 mile trip a few years back and discovered that my tail light had blown in Fayetteville, West Virginia, which is not exactly the center of the universe. Had I packed a spare? No. Because I didn't need one. I rode two miles to the nearest AdvanceAutoPepBoysZone, bought a bulb, and changed it in the lot.

You're not on the Dakkar.

Since you have the luxury of trunk space in a car, I wouldn't even carry any of my own luggage. Just pack a duffel and stick it in the trunk. The only stuff I'd have on the bike would be things I might actually need if I got separated from the car. Rain gear, wallet, phone, multitool...

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2014, 08:10 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
so im going for my first long trip on the bike ever...........Pre thanks for yalls thoughts!
Stepping out of our comfort zone is seldom bad, Lupe

Yes, the heavy backpack may become excruciatingly heavy after a few hours.

Three things will take you far and back: oil in the engine, fuel in the tank, air in the tires and lube on the chain.

A clear mind can only be in a rested body; hence, stop frequently and walk around, breath and drink water.
Wind is as bad for your ears as for the water in your body.

Be prepared for nails and screws that may perforate your tires: carry repair kit plus air pump.
Touch both tires with your naked hand at each stop, their temperature will tell you how happy they are we the load they are carrying.
Too hot? Look for any little air leak (use a spray bottle with some soapy water), repair it and pump it up.
A pressure gauge will give you a false reading when the tires are warm or hot.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2014, 08:22 AM   #8
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Let your friends carry the backpack in the car. Less weight on your back, and better if for some reason you should crash. Backpacks can lead to more severe injuries by stressing the spine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Since you have the luxury of trunk space in a car, I wouldn't even carry any of my own luggage. Just pack a duffel and stick it in the trunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Yes, the heavy backpack may become excruciatingly heavy after a few hours.
Yeah, forgot about the backpack. Use the fact you have a car with buddies and put 95% of what you've got with them.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2014, 09:28 AM   #9
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Put everything in the cars and only carry your license, phone, and a credt card.

Change oil, adjust and lube chain, check and tighten every nut and bolt, check tire pressure, clean your bike (so you can tell if it starts leaking anywhere), and check the weather.

Old March 1st, 2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
^ as a sidenote for cc: when you clean the bike take the fairings off first, that way you can see if you have oil leaks rather than just washing it and then taking the fairings off. seems obvious but I don't believe most people think about it that way.

Old March 1st, 2014, 12:21 PM   #11
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

ok, thanks for all the awesome advice, let me touch on some of the things.

bulbs, GREAT IDEA! i have spares ill bring with me

Tires, i have a batterytender compatible inflation kit that is nice and small, already in the tank bag,

gas, the reason im bringing gas cans cuz my poor little ninja runs so rich it gets like 110 miles to the tank (dont hurt me, i know i need to fix it lol)

chain lube, good idea! im lubing the chain b4 i go but ill carry a small can just incase.

credit cards, dont have one, never had, got my credit to 720 by 19 years old, and i dont buy what i cant afford in cash. so ill be carrying cash on me, plus my xdm40 on my hip (or in a shoulder holster", and my pocket 380 in the tank bag.

everything yall have said is great and i mean great advice and i appreciate it so much! any other good points?

Old March 1st, 2014, 03:12 PM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Consider what might happen to your hip or your ribs if you go down while carrying. Think it through. I'm not talking about an accidental discharge. I'm talking about breaking your freakin' pelvis or rupturing a kidney because you've got a fist-sized chunk of steel on your hip that you're going to land on.

Manage the risk you're likely to encounter.

Old March 1st, 2014, 03:32 PM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

Here's another way to put perspective on packing for a brief overnight trip.

What would you do if you were taking your car?

Would you carry extra gas on the premise that you won't find a station?

Would you carry spare bulbs?

You don't need a patch kit or inflator in a car because you've got a spare... but answer this: When was the last time you checked the spare? Do you do it before taking a four-hour trip?

For each of these questions: If not, why not?

What is it about the bike that makes you think you need to be extra-prepared?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 1st, 2014, 05:20 PM   #14
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Pack a bag, chuck it in the car, keep your phone & wallet.

If you NEED the shooter stick it under the passenger seat, it's not like you're going to be using it while riding.

Having said that about landing on the pistol, I had a lock & chain around my waist & a can of coke in my combats knee pocket when I went down (in army uniform rather than bike gear) I landed on both. The lock kept my hip off the ground as I slid & the can took a bang that would have broken my knee. Only bit of me that hit the ground was my shoulder which was seriously dislocated
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2014, 06:41 PM   #15
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

It sounds like he's planning on bringing two handguns and 3+ laptops.

Perhaps he works for the NSA. In which case, good luck on your mission.

We won't blow your cover.

Old March 1st, 2014, 08:07 PM   #16
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
It sounds like he's planning on bringing two handguns and 3+ laptops.

Perhaps he works for the NSA. In which case, good luck on your mission.

We won't blow your cover.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

the laptops where just a reference to the size of the backpacks. and i carry 2 pistols everywhere, i work private security when i can and use the 380 as a ankle back up

Old March 1st, 2014, 08:55 PM   #17
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

the laptops where just a reference to the size of the backpacks. and i carry 2 pistols everywhere, i work private security when i can and use the 380 as a ankle back up
I'm not really into guns. I don't see the use. After all, I'm a Ninja.

Old March 1st, 2014, 10:15 PM   #18
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I'm not really into guns. I don't see the use. After all, I'm a Ninja.
wait? arnt you a cowboy?

Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:43 AM   #19
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Cowboy by day Ninja by night.

When he want's to be seen he appears as a cowboy, simply to blend in more thoroughly. At all other times he's throwing stars and assassinating targets in an untraceable manner through the night.

Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:20 AM   #20
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Protection

Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:56 AM   #21
Donniejoe
ninjette.org member

Name: Donnie

Motorcycle(s): Honda VTX 1300, Honda Aero 750, Kawasaki Ninja 250 2006

He's in TN, I'm from Arkansas. Culturally we're about the same. Packing two handguns ain't no big deal. We embrace packing.

I've made the trip to the Dragon from Arkansas three times on a bike, taking an overnight at my Uncle's place near Nashville each time. Your 110 mile range will not be a problem. Gas stations are abundant. Look at the map and plan your gas stops on I 40. There are all kinds of bike parts available in eastern TN, so don't get so wrapped up in spares. I wouldn't wear the backpack if I didn't have to. Your back will work hard enough without it.

You could work out a nice route on 2 lane roads if you want to enjoy the trip there. If not, just hit I 40 and get there. The east TN and west NC mountains are wonderful. Get there, ride some twisties and enjoy. The Ninjette will do just fine. 70 mph for 4 hours isn't a problem for it. Take a break every hour or so and shake off the road.

I have a rule I follow when I'm riding. If it ain't fun, don't do it. If you're hurting you're not having fun. Frequent breaks are a part of not getting fatigued. Fatigue leads to pain... and mistakes.

Don't totally commit to just riding the Dragon. There are multitudes of great roads there. Find a squiggly black line on the map and go for it.

Enjoy the journey!
Donniejoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:45 AM   #22
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Great answers by everyone. The only thing I would add is warm clothes and rain gear. With the weather the way it has been recently I would be prepared for anything possible as far as cold and wet are concerned.

CCowboy is that you I see on the comercials with the cowboy speaking mandarin. Oh wait that is Chinese and ninjas are Japanese.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:03 PM   #23
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
^ yea packing rain gear into your tank bag is a must for any long trip where it might rain, especially one where you're doing it again a few days later when you can't predict the weather. A poncho if you don't have proper rain gear.

Old March 2nd, 2014, 06:33 PM   #24
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

yeah rain gear is a no brainer, i keep it in one of the saddle bags.