Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 25th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #1
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Who makes the quietest helmets?

Just like the title says.

What are the quietest helmets, and which one in the sub 300 dollar range are pretty quiet?
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Schuberth make the quietest helmets.

The C3 pro I believe. I've got one, if it's a still day it feels like you're in a litle bubble of stillness
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #3
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
Just like the title says.

What are the quietest helmets, and which one in the sub 300 dollar range are pretty quiet?
Earplugs let you keep your current helmet and save your hearing in the long run.

Old May 25th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Every helmet will get louder with use, my Shark RSI was very quiet when I got it, 3 years of daily use later & 60 mph is like standing behind a F15 on takeoff.

Earplugs are the way to go.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #5
dailowill
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

+1 for ear plugs. Especially for riding long distances. Most helmets are a compromise between air flow and wind noise.
dailowill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

im gonna have to go with earplugs aswell. I have 2 Icon Airmadas, 2shoeis and they were all quiet at one point. Recently started using earplugs (last week), no particular brand, they seem like some ****** construction type earplugs, fluorescent buds with a fluorescent blue string connecting them, but they work extremely well.

if you got a Schuberth + earplugs, you'd be in heaven.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #7
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

NASA
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #8
dailowill
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
NASA
touché
dailowill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #9
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

I do wear earplugs. Wind noise still gets annoying.

I'm just wondering for the future, whenever I buy my next one.

Old May 25th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Every helmet will get louder with use, my Shark RSI was very quiet when I got it, 3 years of daily use later & 60 mph is like standing behind a F15 on takeoff.

Earplugs are the way to go.
Typically this is because the padding compresses, try washing the padding, this helps i've found.

Old May 25th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post

if you got a Schuberth + earplugs, you'd be in heaven.
I found it too quiet, since we have a very low speed limit and cars and smaller and quieter than the us, it became impossible to hear traffic at junctions and behind me, so I stick to just the helmet, keep the rpm's below 6k and it's lovely.

Old May 25th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #12
clum88
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Pretty subjective. Usually the ones that vent really well consequently have more airflow and wind noise within the helmet.

You could use this website who have ratings amongst various brands. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Closing vents, chin curtains, helmets with a good seal against it's eyeport gasket help. The Scorpion EXO-R410 has a nice design where shield hinge is spring loaded so when you close it, the hinge moves back, sucking down the shield against the gasket. It's about $160ish, and SNELL rated... I thought it was pretty quiet, didn't vent as well as my AGV K3 which is louder. My Shoei RF-1000 is between the two.
clum88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #13
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Another thing to try is use new earplugs. I find that the foam ones last a certain number of uses before it all gets louder. Your other option is to use the silicone ones. Those tend to last longer. Experiment with different brands. I find the industrial ones with pink and yellow colored foam works best for me.

As for helmet, not a whole lot you can do if it was once quiet but isn't anymore. Just normal wear and tear. Helmet protects your head. Earplugs protect your ears. Im not surprised they can't do double duty.

Old May 25th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #14
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

BTW, when I say quiet helmet I don't mean the helmet that blocks out the most noise, I more mean the one that creates the least wind noise.

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #15
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

My Scorpion whistles pretty fiercely, that's all I can say.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #16
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I have that horrible whistling noise in my gm68s but recently added an intercom system with headphones that push against my ears (with ear plugs in) and noticed that the headphones reduced all of the whistleing noise! Surprised the hell outta me but I suppose the whistlening noise came from the air hitting the outer portion of my ear lobe. So hopefully that might help with an idea.

Old May 26th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #17
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Schuberth are supposed to be very quiet, due in large part to the massive neck roll they've got. Much of the noise you get is wind interacting with the lower edge of the helmet.

I tried one on a few days ago and I can see why it's that way… the helmet really hugs your neck.

But they cost a ton. Premium helmet, premium performance. It's my anniversary so I might get one… I've asked for money towards high-end gear.

Anything under 300, just use earplugs. Simpler.

I recommend trying different kinds to see which ones suit you. Foam are cheap and proven effective.

Having tried foam, permanently molded custom (from a kit I got at Wally World), the silicone rubber "cristmas tree" ones and various earbuds, for straight earplugs I like the wax ones that come in eight-packs best… They fill your ear (both canal and surface) really well and are super comfy, with no pressure points at all. Basically you're making the equivalent of a custom-made plug every time you use one.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #18
yzfr6i
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 R6

They all seem pretty quiet in the store.. lol

Wind noise will be different for each rider on each bike. Depending on their size and how the bike deflects wind off the screen. I could tell you that my helmet is very quiet. Then hand it to a guy 2 inches tall than me, put him on my bike, and my wind screen could direct the air straight into a vent and cause a whistle. Found this out when a switched to a double bubble on my R6.

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #19
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
I have that horrible whistling noise in my gm68s but recently added an intercom system with headphones that push against my ears (with ear plugs in) and noticed that the headphones reduced all of the whistleing noise! Surprised the hell outta me but I suppose the whistlening noise came from the air hitting the outer portion of my ear lobe. So hopefully that might help with an idea.
The GM68 has a ton of wind noise especially on the freeway or windy days. I knew it wouldn't be quiet when I bought the helmet cause of all the vents so there was really no dissapointment. I usually wear noise cancelling skullcandy ear buds or blue tooth ear buds so it doesn't bother me.

t

Old May 26th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There's no universal measure from

loud <------> moderate <------> quiet

when it comes to helmets. Yes, a pricier helmet may in general be somewhat quieter than most inexpensive lids, but the factors differ. First, it needs to fit your head well. If there is less open space in all directions, there's less turbulence for the air that is vented through the helmet. The outside needs to be aerodynamic for the riding position. A track-based helmet that is meant to be chin on the tank is different than a touring helmet where a rider is sitting almost straight up and down. The amount of air that is let in from the neck area is a large factor. Some lids like Arai and Shoei often include an optional part that goes under the chin to close up some of that open space; this helps quiet them down a good bit. And finally, the closure for the visor makes a difference. Some lids have a way to lock the visor in place, which causes a seal that is great to block out noise at high speeds.

A helmet that is quiet for one person, may be even quieter for another, or might seem loud for another if they have different parameters and use cases.

All that said, I've never owned a helmet that is quiet enough for no earplugs at highway speeds for more than a few minutes. Another data point is to watch any racer in any series on the planet. They have custom fit helmets that are made to be as aerodynamic as possible, and fit as tight and snug as possible, yet virtually every single one uses earplugs in addition to make the wind noise bearable at speed.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #21
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Get custom ear plugs that actually fit your ear canal via an Audiologist: Avery Sound
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #22
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Get custom ear plugs that actually fit your ear canal via an Audiologist: Avery Sound
Again, it really isn't the noise, so much as it's the wind noise covering up other noises that can be helpful while riding. Plugs dampen all noise pretty equally, so they can help to avoid ear damage, but they don't help you to hear traffic around you.

Old May 27th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #23
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Again, it really isn't the noise, so much as it's the wind noise covering up other noises that can be helpful while riding. Plugs dampen all noise pretty equally, so they can help to avoid ear damage, but they don't help you to hear traffic around you.
Not true. Plugs do not reduce all frequencies equally. That's why your perception of sound alters when you put them in. It's not like things are just turned down as if there were some sort of volume control.

The chart below describes plugs designed for musicians that do not cut the highs as much, compared to your standard foam plugs.

The problem I encountered with the custom-molded plugs (the silicone rubber kit that you can buy in sporting goods stores… you mold them to your ears by sticking the stuff in there and they set up permanently after 15 minutes) is that when you're wearing your helmet it pushes on your ear and changes the shape of your ear canal. Therefore the seal (remember that the plugs are molded when your ear is relaxed) breaks and they're not as effective as when you're not wearing your lid. I also tried a second time, doing the procedure with my helmet on, but the results were still not as good as I had hoped they would be.

Maybe the expensive "professionally fitted" ones are better… I don't know because I believe I can jam some putty in my own ear as well as any professional.

This is why I like the wax ones. Like the custom molded ones they contour to your anatomy perfectly but they're not rigid. When things move around they flow with it.

Old May 27th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #24
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
I find it interesting... you've been riding for how long? Now all of sudden this is a problem?

I guess you have two options then:

or

Next thread: I got a quiet helmet and taped all the vents or used silicone to block all the wind noise coming in and out of it, now I'm hot, what helmet should I get?

Old May 27th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #25
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I find it interesting... you've been riding for how long? Now all of sudden this is a problem?

I guess you have two options then:

or

Next thread: I got a quiet helmet and taped all the vents or used silicone to block all the wind noise coming in and out of it, now I'm hot, what helmet should I get?
No need for hostility.

One of these days I'll need a new helmet. I do enough riding that I think I'd prefer a quieter helmet to one that has other benefits, and I can't test how noisy a helmet is in a store, so I ask the question. Is that a bad thing?

Old May 27th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #26
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
No need for hostility.

One of these days I'll need a new helmet. I do enough riding that I think I'd prefer a quieter helmet to one that has other benefits, and I can't test how noisy a helmet is in a store, so I ask the question. Is that a bad thing?
The question you're asking goes hand in hand with other variables (wind noise, quietness, vents, heat, air flow, cooling, etc). It's a compromise. Many people have already suggested things, yet you don't seem to be liking those answers. So, one has to ask what the point of the thread is, if you keep deflecting people's advice and or opinions, which you asked for? If you don't like the answers, don't ask the questions.

Old May 27th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #27
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The question you're asking goes hand in hand with other variables (wind noise, quietness, vents, heat, air flow, cooling, etc). It's a compromise. Many people have already suggested things, yet you don't seem to be liking those answers. So, one has to ask what the point of the thread is, if you keep deflecting people's advice and or opinions, which you asked for? If you don't like the answers, don't ask the questions.
I don't have any problems with people's answers. I'm just stating exactly what I'm looking for. I'm stating why earplugs aren't the answer I'm looking for. No need for this to be difficult.

Old May 27th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #28
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Plugs dampen all noise pretty equally, so they can help to avoid ear damage, but they don't help you to hear traffic around you.
idk anything technical about sound and earplugs, but I wear earplugs every time I put a leg over a motorcycle, so here's my input:

Earplugs make the wind noise go away, but I can still hear everything around me. I can still hear cars, horns, sirens, pedestrians yelling, etc. I've never had any issue with feeling bottled up or deaf. YMMV, but I really like earplugs.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #29
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
idk anything technical about sound and earplugs, but I wear earplugs every time I put a leg over a motorcycle, so here's my input:

Earplugs make the wind noise go away, but I can still hear everything around me. I can still hear cars, horns, sirens, pedestrians yelling, etc. I've never had any issue with feeling bottled up or deaf. YMMV, but I really like earplugs.
I wear earplugs most of the time. Seems like whether I wear them or not, though, the wind tends to overpower the sounds of traffic.

Old May 27th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #30
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Who cares. Just wear some freakin earplugs.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #31
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

If ear plugs arent doing it for you... it sounds like youre doing it wrong. What ear plugs do you use? What are they specifically made for? Are they made to block all sounds or some frequencies more than others?
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #32
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

If your helmet is really noisy, earplugs will still just cut down on the noise. ~32dB of reduction is pretty normal for earplugs, but it's just noise reduction, not outright elimination.

Best way to eliminate wind noise completely is apply a power drill to your eardrums and just remove them completely

But seriously. I've ridden in Shoei, Arai, Bell, Scorpion, Shark and recently Schuberth. The first three were all good, if pricey, but had various things I didn't like, from weight, to whistles, to 9 different air vents to manage, or were just plain loud.
I got used to a bit of noise from the Shark RaceR, but it was way less than either of my Scorpion Exo-700, despite the fact the Shark is designed for a naked bike (aerodynamics of the helmet get screwy with fairings redirecting the wind). The Schuberth C3 beats them all, hands down for me, and the C3 Pro is even quieter. With Earplugs and the C3, I can still hear traffic, but it's the level of background noise. Emergency vehicles are really easy to hear due to the sheer intensity of their sirens and the fact I'm not having to actively filter out tons of wind noise from what I'm hearing. The C3 does whistle just a smidge for me, but even with that it's the quietest. I think it's partly the super-large neck roll, as mentioned previously, combined with the large bit under the jaw, that can be that big only due to the fact it's a modular helmet. I will say, the C3 and C3Pro are the only two modular's I've worn for any length of time, so it might be more than just Schuberth, but I've been impressed.

It's kinda egg-shaped though; very round and smooth. So if you like funky spoilers, and hard angles, probably not your helmet.

Old May 27th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #33
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
+1 for earplugs.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #34
adouglas
Cat herder

It was my anniversary last weekend and I asked for gear-upgrade money. I don't actually need anything but it was an opportunity to buy something I wouldn't have ordered for myself due to cost.

Neon-yellow Schuberth S2 OTW. My still-good EXO-700 will become a backup.

From what I understand they've changed the shape to be a bit more elongated (intermediate oval) vs. the rounder original C3. Before ordering I did a little road trip to some not-so-nearby Schuberth dealers and got to try on both the S2 and the C3 pro. They fit the same.