Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #41
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

Name: That's "Sir" to you!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-F16, Versys KLE650 CAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Not sure what this Paraffin/kerosene stuff you're talking about is. Is this O-ring safe or just random chemicals? o.O I personally use the DuPont chain degreaser along with their cleaning brush and it looks fine to me. I'm sure my standard of a clean chain may be different than others though.
Kerosene (US term) is paraffin (UK term). It's what most motorcycle manufacturers recommend to clean chains.
Kokosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #42
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokosun View Post
Kerosene (US term) is paraffin (UK term). It's what most motorcycle manufacturers recommend to clean chains.
Ah, ok. Definitely going to have to try that after seeing some of the results other people are getting from it.

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #43
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

I just checked the service manual. It say's:

----------
CAUTION

- The o-rings between the side plates seal in the lubricant between the pin and the bushing. To avoid damaging the o-rings and resultant loss of lubricant, observe the following rules.
- Use only kerosene or diesel oil for cleaning an o-ring drive chain. Other cleaning solution such as gasoline or trichloroethylene will cause deterioration and swelling of the o-rings.
- Immediately blow the chain dry with compressed air after cleaning.
- Complete cleaning and drying the chain within 10 minutes.

It goes on to say:

- Apply oil [aka lube] to the sides of the rollers so that oil will penetrate to the rollers and bushings. Apply the oil to the o-rings so that the o-rings will be coated with oil.
- Wipe off any excess oil

----------

But, I think that most of the commercial chain cleaning fluids are pretty safe, and there are lots of people that really like them. I don't think that they're as good as kerosene and elbow grease - and they are definitely a lot more expensive.

Old October 16th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #44
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Yeah, I definitely may give it a try if it's cheaper than the commercial cleaning fluids. I really wanna remove my chain guard and the front sprocket cover and really give it a good, thorough cleaning so if Kerosene works better, it'd make sense to use it.

Found something odd in my short research though. This link shows using kerosene and seems to say that WD-40 is a bad cleaning agent but the study they link here actually shows the opposite....that WD-40 doesn't appear to have a negative effect on the o-rings....*shrugs* Just something I thought I'd add to the pool of knowledge that is this thread.

Old October 16th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #45
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

I think that one of the main ingredients of WD-40 is kerosene, so I doubt that it's really bad. Lots of people use it, and it doesn't seem to have any really bad effect. Personally, I love WD-40. It's like a miracle substance. But it's much more expensive than POK (plain old kerosene).

:-)

Old October 16th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #46
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Part II here shows that it ends up reducing the strength of the O-ring in a long term environment.

Old October 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #47
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Not sure what this Paraffin/kerosene stuff you're talking about is. Is this O-ring safe or just random chemicals? o.O
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene

It's just fine for cleaning anything that needs to be de-greased like chains, bearings, etc. Just make sure all the Kerosene has evaporated before you go re-lube, or else all your brand new lube not stay put.

EDIT: oops, you guys already covered that... But I will note that somewhere on here, I read that WD40 is not bad for the o-rings, it's the stuff in the can for pressurization that's harmful to o-rings
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #48
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Awesome video, great thread! I love ninjette.org!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote