ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #1
espacef1fan
ninjette.org member

Name: ADAM

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R

Cant hear engine above 50mph.Bafflectomy?

Okay the title sounds ridiculous. However this is causing me some problems.

I have a mostly stock 2005 250.(DIY fender removal...thats about it...)

When I'm out burning up the local backroads I have a huge problem of not being able to hear the engine above 50mph. This bothers me due to being deprived of an audible indication of engine output.

When I ride these roads I am using " the pace"(constant speed, avoiding heavy acceleration and such)

I am not big on the idea of rejetting, but thte obvious solution is doing airflow mods.

I love how quiet the exhaust is so I dont really dont want to do slip ons...

Is a MILD bafflectomy right for me? Can I do it without rejetting?
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Downshift
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninjette

I'm sure on a pregen you can get headers independent from mufflers just lke on facelifts, and headers will usually increase engine "growl" and raise the Db a bit but with stock cannons bolted up will stil not boom and blast and scream the way a slip on will. Or get a slip on with a good mute that isn't designed to be annoyingly loud (MGP growler, cough cough*)

exhaust and engine rpm make the noise, pod filters make noise, but not like exhaust. From what I have heard they are not noticeable at all over a slip on, but by themselves pod filters may be loud, I am unsure of this, never seen just pod filters done *shrug*
Mulholland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #4
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Downshift
Best answer. The ninja 250 loves to have the piss revved out of it, the pregens especially. Alternatively, or additionally, get a less noise insulating helmet. A mid-spec HJC will make the world seem a noisy, poorly climate-controlled place.

Old April 12th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #5
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

I have a stock exhaust and airbox delete. Replaced with K&N filter. It sounds more like a motorcycle now, rather than a turbo charged lawnmower...

Still working on the re jet...
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Leave it like it is and press your ankles against the frame to feel the vibration.

Also check your tachometer frequently.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland View Post
I'm sure on a pregen you can get headers independent from mufflers
False. Only headers made are oem ones, and 2-1 full systems. If you find anything different than that, lemme know.

Quote:
(MGP growler, cough cough*)
those are obnoxiously loud.

Quote:
From what I have heard they are not noticeable at all over a slip on, but by themselves pod filters may be loud, I am unsure of this, never seen just pod filters done *shrug*
They make nice loud roaring intake noise under load. While just cruising or just at idle, it doesn't make much difference.

@espacef1fan your other option for a little more noise without getting farty is this. It makes a little more noise under load (like pods, but not as extreme), pulls a little harder at WOT, and if you shim the needles, makes the mid-range more responsive.

Don't worry about being about being able to hear it. Learn to feel it. It vibrates and pulls differently throughout the rpm range. That's free, and quiet.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #8
espacef1fan
ninjette.org member

These are all helpful posts. On a more powerful bike I would just put an exhaust on it, no questions asked, HOWEVER the Ninja uses high revs and large throttle opening just to get out of its own way...so that would be obnoxious.

I've never experienced this kind of situation before which is why I sound like such a n00b.

I already have the midrange HJC with built in visor(which is quieter than an ICON Alliance SS!!!!!!)

I will likely end up doing the airbox mod because its cheap, and it gives me something to tinker on(without getting as involved as rejetting and consequently, tuning extensively)

In the meantime I will also just try to "feel" the bike more. Maybe non rubberized footpegs? I'm tingly after rides already though....haha.

Looking at the tach is a bad idea..I have apexes and road hazards to worry about

Thanks again for the helpful input

Old April 12th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
I will likely end up doing the airbox mod because its cheap, and it gives me something to tinker on(without getting as involved as rejetting and consequently, tuning extensively)
Airbox mod = rejet/shim
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #10
espacef1fan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Airbox mod = rejet/shim
needles are easy to get to comparitively

Old April 12th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
jets aren't bad either.

Old April 13th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #12
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Also, modding the airbox involves 4/5 of the steps to get at the carbs for a rejet, so why not go for it?

Old April 13th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
No, modding the intake lid is quick and easy. I recommend cutting the batter box off at the same time so jetting is easier in the future, but it's not necessary.

Technically changing any part of your carbs to improve fuel delivery is making jetting changes.