ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 11th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #201
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Anyone know how to install/remove the bushings on the very end (not the copper ones)?

I dropped off several fork tubes at Traxxion Dynamics and they sent them back with those parts removed. There is a cut so they will probably flex over the end but I just want to be sure that doing so doesn't mess anything up. Also, are they directional? When should they be relaced? Many of them show imperfections in the textured surface.

Do the copper ones slide right off? I'm trying to remember if I put them with the rest of my fork parts or if they were on the tubes when I dropped them off (removed everything I kmew how to remove).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #202
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Hmm. never tore down my forks that far. I would think @dino74 would know more.

I'm guess the copper ones should slide right off. Might be a tad snug fit.

Old October 15th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #203
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Question for everyone saying not to use thread locker on the bottom bolt:
I have an impact tool and extended hex adapters which are long enough to extract the bolt. I used this to do it without a bench vise or the partially-inserted axel trick. Is there any reason for me to avoid it? I simply don't want the thread locker contaminating my oil but the only concern I saw expressed was being able to get it out again in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Hmm. never tore down my forks that far. I would think @dino74 would know more.

I'm guess the copper ones should slide right off. Might be a tad snug fit.
I just flexed them right on. Anyway, I have since rebuilt two more sets of forks but I take forever and try to follow directions to the letter as if I don't know what I am doing.

I tried to follow the Clymer manual this time and wanted to share a few notes. I had to reference this DIY more often than the Clymer manual Because they stupidly put the measurements in a table at the end of the chapter which you can't easily reference with oil all over your hands. They had tables at the beginning of the chapter and at the end and it didn't tell you what page or set of tables it was in!

Next, they tell you to take the fork protectors off when there is absolutely no reason. I did for the heck of it and you probably need a second person (I pushed up with two thumbs while my brother pulled off from the top).

Another issue is that they clearly call the lowers "sliders" but then call the fork tubes "sliders" when telling you to use oiled Saran wrap to get the seals on! I was very confused because there were no pictures and everything I could imagine would leave bits of Saran wrap stuck in the forks. What they meant was to use oiled Saran wrap to slip the seals over the tops of the fork tubes before sliding all the way down and driving them into the lowers/sliders.

Lastly, there are NO useful pictures for determining the correct orientation of the seals. I took so long to assemble these that I could not be sure how they were oriented before they came apart. The only mention in he Clymer manual was saying that the "open end" should be oriented out. Uhh... which end is the "open end," geniuses? I had a hunch how they were supposed to be oriented based on how I remembered hammering them in the first time and yet the only end that looked more "open" than the other is the one I remembered going down/in the fork lower (exactly opposite to what they were telling me). Sure enough, one look here tells me that I was right and their advice was useless. At least as far as OEM seals go, the end with a flatter top and a slimmer groove goes up and the end with the wider groove and more open top goes in.

Old June 25th, 2020, 01:53 PM   #204
TireSlayer
Clean Title? No Problem.

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 '11

Is that 12.2 oz split between both fork legs or is that per side?
TireSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2020, 08:48 PM   #205
TireSlayer
Clean Title? No Problem.

I'm going to reply to myself to maybe help someone else out. I wanted to take a shortcut and just pour a set volume of fluid into the forks. I confirmed the volume per leg in this DIY is correct, however the aftermarket spring which I swapped out is considerably thicker and has more coils in 5mm less length, and DING DING DING.. displaces more fluid. Moral of the story is don't take shortcuts.

Old June 25th, 2020, 09:27 PM   #206
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Another way to measure is drop ruler down from top and measure distance to top of fluid.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2020, 06:35 PM   #207
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

I did mine with a wire bent to 130mm inserted into the fork.

Old June 29th, 2020, 09:46 AM   #208
TireSlayer
Clean Title? No Problem.

So I used my vacuum brake bleeder and just measured 130mmm of length from the end of the end of the tube. Stick that in and pump out all the excess. Made it a super quick job.

Old December 15th, 2021, 02:00 PM   #209
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
Use the steel wool to gently rub out any imperfections on the tubes and bushings. This is the time to make sure everything is smooth and clean. You don't have to take off the bushing and washer unless you want to.
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2021, 02:03 PM   #210
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

For part a very nice post but
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
Use the steel wool to gently rub out any imperfections on the tubes and bushings. This is the time to make sure everything is smooth and clean. You don't have to take off the bushing and washer unless you want to.
Never every used steel wool on your fork tube that a very bad way to ruin them actually a chrome finish it needs to be super smooth you're supposed to use a cotton wheel and buff them.
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2023, 05:04 PM   #211
CZroe
CPT Falcon

My spare forks were freshly rebuilt nearly a decade ago and stored vertically inside my accessory building for several years before being wrapped in plastic and moved into a storage unit for a couple more. I’m not the one who retrieved them but I think they were stored horizontally (not sure but they were definitely transported that way). Anyway, I unwrapped the plastic only to find them swimming in clear fork oil.

Not sure if it leaked from one, both, top or bottom, but it makes me think back to the weird thread tape or whatever it was that I removed from the bottom bolts and never replaced. Since then I’ve seen many more EX250J fork rebuilds I still seem to be the only one to ever encounter it.

Guess I’ll be rebuilding these AGAIN. Tempted to add some teflon tape this time since I really think that’s what mine had from the factory.

Last futzed with by CZroe; November 4th, 2023 at 08:23 AM.

Old November 6th, 2023, 08:19 AM   #212
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
My spare forks were freshly rebuilt nearly a decade ago and stored vertically inside my accessory building for several years before being wrapped in plastic and moved into a storage unit for a couple more. I’m not the one who retrieved them but I think they were stored horizontally (not sure but they were definitely transported that way). Anyway, I unwrapped the plastic only to find them swimming in clear fork oil.

Not sure if it leaked from one, both, top or bottom, but it makes me think back to the weird thread tape or whatever it was that I removed from the bottom bolts and never replaced. Since then I’ve seen many more EX250J fork rebuilds I still seem to be the only one to ever encounter it.

Guess I’ll be rebuilding these AGAIN. Tempted to add some teflon tape this time since I really think that’s what mine had from the factory.
I believe the bottom of the fork seals with a copper crush washer, not thread tape.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 6th, 2023, 10:53 AM   #213
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
I believe the bottom of the fork seals with a copper crush washer, not thread tape.
Yeah, but there were so many small changes between 2008 and 2009 that I wonder if a little-known change here might explain this. I’m definitely the original owner and I don’t recall paying anyone to rebuild these forks prior to doing it myself so it really seems like they came that way from the factory.

I should order new bolts when I rebuild them again, just in case. *shrug* I have to order new crush washers anyway. Could adding plumber’s tape hurt?

That said, I don’t recall any leaks when they were stored vertically and only found it after they were stored horizontally… so perhaps they didn’t even leak out the bottom. I’ve been looking for them about as long as we had the storage unit and assumed they’d been stolen since I didn’t wrap them up and put them in there. Regardless, it’s time to get this them back on the bike!

Thanks.