ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Winterizing your Ninjette

It is snowing here, so I consulted my owner`s manual for sage advice concerning the winterization process of the Ninjette. They recommend siphoning all the fuel out of the tank via a siphon. Then the drill is to run the engine until the carbs are out of fuel. Of course,prior to that ,one needs to change the oil and filter. What I was surprised to find was that there is no fuel shut off. The petcock at the base of the tank has no provision for fuel off. My bike will be stored in a heated garage. I had initially planned to shut off the fuel, run the fuel out of the carbs, fill the fuel tank, and treat the fuel with Stor-n-Start. Now I discovered that the fuel can`t be shut off. I am thinking of installing an in line fuel shut off valve. This way I can shut off the fuel, run the carbs dry, and store the bike with a full tank (treated) in a heated shop.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM   #2
kkim

fuel petcock is vacuum operated. If the is no vacuum to the back of the petcock from the carbs, no gas will flow. So, unless you have the bike started, the diaphragm inside the petcock will not allow fuel to flow... so, it's off any time the bike is not running, when the petcock is in the "on" position. The "prime" position will let gas flow w/o any vacuum, so be sure yours is in the "on" position.

Also, as opposed to what they recommend in the manual, store with a full tank of treated gas.

Bowl drains are on the bottom of the bowls.

Snow??
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Sailariel

Kelly, I owe you one

Kelly, Thanks for the Heads Up on the petcock. Things have sure changed since my Dunstall Cafe Racer. I really need to get the factory shop manual and do some serious reading. I should catch up in no time.

Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM   #4
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Put some Stabil in the tank, run the motor to get it in the carbs.
For some reason I just dont like storing things without fuel, once fuel has been in them.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Allmayer Beck View Post
Kelly, Thanks for the Heads Up on the petcock. Things have sure changed since my Dunstall Cafe Racer. I really need to get the factory shop manual and do some serious reading. I should catch up in no time.
Alex, NP... I have the factory service manual and it an invaluable tool. A heads up, the factory manual costs about $70. There is someone on ebay selling photocopies of the exact manual for $35. I'll let your conscience and pocketbook be your guide.

Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:05 AM   #6
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Good information. Thanks guys.. I'll keep it in mind for next year!

Old November 24th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #7
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

If I were storing the bike in a heated garage I'd just start it every so often and wouldn't even bother draining the bowls. Since my bike will be spending the winter in an unheated shed, subject to below-freezing temps for 3 months, I drained the bowls after filling the gas tank with fuel and Sta-Bil. The lack of an "off" on the petcock is a real PITA and I'll be adding a fuel shut-off to the fuel line this spring also. Luckily draining the bowls is no big deal. I know the Ninja is an entry-level bike and all, but did they have to omit the "off" position on the petcock just to save a few bucks and keep the price down?
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #8
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
If I were storing the bike in a heated garage I'd just start it every so often and wouldn't even bother draining the bowls. Since my bike will be spending the winter in an unheated shed, subject to below-freezing temps for 3 months, I drained the bowls after filling the gas tank with fuel and Sta-Bil. The lack of an "off" on the petcock is a real PITA and I'll be adding a fuel shut-off to the fuel line this spring also. Luckily draining the bowls is no big deal. I know the Ninja is an entry-level bike and all, but did they have to omit the "off" position on the petcock just to save a few bucks and keep the price down?
It's quite clever how they didn't throw an 'off' position on the petcock. I don't understand why people don't like the vacuum petcock. If you really want to ensure it's off then pull the vacuum line leading to the petcock. That way there's no way fuel is getting past it!
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #9
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
It's quite clever how they didn't throw an 'off' position on the petcock. I don't understand why people don't like the vacuum petcock. If you really want to ensure it's off then pull the vacuum line leading to the petcock. That way there's no way fuel is getting past it!
I agree.

... or remove and plug the fuel line leading into the carbs, if you don't trust the petcock.

Old November 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
If I were storing the bike in a heated garage I'd just start it every so often and wouldn't even bother draining the bowls.
Starting it from time to time will help the fuel from gumming up the carbs, but running the bike from time to time without letting it get up to operating temp and running under load for awhile can contaminate your oil. It's a bit of a tradeoff, and if you're changing the oil before storage and then right after, perhaps that's still the right way to go.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #11
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Starting it from time to time will help the fuel from gumming up the carbs, but running the bike from time to time without letting it get up to operating temp and running under load for awhile can contaminate your oil. It's a bit of a tradeoff, and if you're changing the oil before storage and then right after, perhaps that's still the right way to go.
I change the oil right before storage weather I'm starting it or not. The length of time it's going to be stored has everything to do with how OCD you want to be about it. If I were storing it for 3 months or less I'd do less to it than if it was being stored for 3 to 6 months or more. You never know around here when spring will finally arrive, so I usually drain the bowls if it's going to be a long winter. The wooly caterpillars are really wooly this year and that's never a good sign for an early spring, so I decided to play it safe. I have run other bikes twice a month during unusually warm winters for up to 4 months with no ill effects.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #12
Sailariel

Thank you all for the good advice. I have ordered a shop manual from my dealer and have also ordered a pair of stands. I got a great deal from FlynCycle for $103 for the pair, delivered. I think I wil store with a tank full of treated fuel and drain the carbs. I will also hook the battery up to an automatic charger. Sears makes one for $20. Part#71219. It is a fully automatic 2Amp charger designed for motorcycles, lawn travtors,and ATV. Comes with a quick connect so you don`t have to take the battery out during storage.

Old November 25th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #13
kkim

Quote:
I will also hook the battery up to an automatic charger. Sears makes one for $20. Part#71219. It is a fully automatic 2Amp charger designed for motorcycles, lawn travtors,and ATV. Comes with a quick connect so you don`t have to take the battery out during storage.
I hope it's one that adjusts the charge down to a trickle charge once the battery is fully charged? Otherwise, you stand a chance of overcharging the battery. I use a Battery Tender, Jr. that has this capability and keep my dirt bike plugged in all the time without worries.

Old November 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #14
Sailariel

Kelly the Sears unit is made by Schumacher--which is a reputable company. It has three LED readouts and charges a battery fully. It then shuts down and only puts a tiny charge into the battery when it senses the need. It is called a Charger/Maintainer and the book says it is fully automatic and will not overcharge a battery.

Old November 26th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #15
kkim

Quote:
Kelly the Sears unit is made by Schumacher--which is a reputable company. It has three LED readouts and charges a battery fully. It then shuts down and only puts a tiny charge into the battery when it senses the need. It is called a Charger/Maintainer and the book says it is fully automatic and will not overcharge a battery.
great... that is exactly what is needed for a long winter's sleep.

Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM   #16
workdaddy
WORKDADDY

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 2fitty

I am with Alex on this one... When I had my Quad I would change the oil when the snow fell and go out and start 'er about once a week. Kept the fuel system "Wet" (like the dealer service guy told me to do) and plus kept a good charge on the battery So I think I am going to try it this year on my lil 2fitty..

Oh and Kelly.... About the petcocks My neighbors have some... I don't trust them either! They are suppose to cock-o-doodle-do in the morning to wake you up... They make their noises all day and night, one time @ like 3 am I woke up thinking I was late for work cuz of them dumb petcocks
workdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:56 AM   #17
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by workdaddy View Post
Oh and Kelly.... About the petcocks My neighbors have some... I don't trust them either! They are suppose to cock-o-doodle-do in the morning to wake you up... They make their noises all day and night, one time @ like 3 am I woke up thinking I was late for work cuz of them dumb petcocks
I'd show you mine, but uh... ummm... oh, never mind!

Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM   #18
workdaddy
WORKDADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I'd show you mine, but uh... ummm... oh, never mind!
Gee Wilikers Kelly... I never knew.... LOL!

Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:15 PM   #19
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by workdaddy View Post
Gee Wilikers Kelly... I never knew.... LOL!

Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM   #20
workdaddy
WORKDADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
LOLOLOLOL! K, we can be done LOLOLOLOL!

Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:36 AM   #21
Sailariel

Smile

Sounds like "Youse guys" (That`s New Joisey English) have been hanging around that other forum.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:47 AM   #22
kkim

Quote:
Sounds like "Youse guys" (That`s New Joisey English) have been hanging around that other forum.
Garsh... ya' think??

truth is, most of us are refugees from there that needed a quieter haven than what that nuthouse was becoming, so on occasion, you will see us slipping back and forth between the 2 mentalities.

it's all in fun, though, and will never escalate to the outright battles encountered there. I appreciate ninjette for the moderated tone Alex provides.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:53 PM   #23
workdaddy
WORKDADDY

I'm with Kelly on that one.... But then again I think I may have duel persanalities? Going back and forth..
like this guy>

But Really like the fact that home here is strictly for our lil bikes

Old December 4th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #24
Sailariel

Kelly, I think we have a great bunch of Expatriates. As I mentioned to Alex, this forum will really take off--and for all intents and purposes, it has.

Old December 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #25
kkim

Quote:
Kelly, I think we have a great bunch of Expatriates. As I mentioned to Alex, this forum will really take off--and for all intents and purposes, it has.
Thank you Alex... I hope the new kids on the block will integrate seamlessly with all that were here from the start. I'm just glad I was able to find this diamond amongst the dirt in cyberspace.

Mixture of thought and ideas in a calm environment is always a good thing and hopefully positive results will be the reward.

mahalo to you, sir, for your contributions in making us all feel welcome here.

Old December 4th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #26
Sailariel

Kelly, There is a forum called Bikespeak Forum which is for bicyclists. This forum is well run and extremely infrmative--which is what the Internet should be all about. Ninjette.org looks very much like it will go that route. Bikespeak does not put up with flamers, braggarts, or any abuse. It looks like Alex is of the same mind. I do believe that this will be, if it isn`t already, the definitive source of information for ALL Kawasaki Ninja owners worldwide. It is a huge endeavour and a great responsibility. I am very confident that we will all make it a reality. There is a lot of "brain power" here. All we have to do is to encourage it.

Old December 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #27
ak_907_ak
ninjette.org member

Name: Nico

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Well, when I stored my bike, I filled my tank to the extreme maximum, so no air can get in, drained the carbs, pulled the battery which is now hooked up to my battery tender plus(<- I highly recommend!), washed the bike clean, lubed and adjusted the chain, put it on its rear stand and threw a 4 soft rags under the front tire, that way it won't flatspot. After that I put a cover on.
I've heard of people spraying the inside of the cylinder with fogging oil against moisture.

When we parked floatplanes out in the cold, we used to pull the plugs and put engine dehydrators that would suck the moisture out of cylinders.
They turn from blue to purple when they're full.
http://www.sacskyranch.com/corrosion.htm
http://www.theultralightplace.com/dehydrator_plugs.htm
ak_907_ak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #28
Sailariel

AK907, I have the luxury of a heated garage with an epoxy floor. I filled my tank to the brim with premium gas (stores longer than regular) and plugged in a battery maintainer. I did change the oil and filter and drained the carbs. A form fitting cover did the rest. Both wheels are off the ground.

Old December 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #29
ak_907_ak
ninjette.org member

Name: Nico

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Yeah mine is in a garage too, to cover is to keep it from getting dinged up.

I would only run premium gas in a motorcycle. Even if it is only 30 hp, that is out of an .25 liter engine. The Chevy Vortec engine makes 250 hp out of 5.7 L.
If the ninja engine was 5.7L, it would make over 680hp.
A Pratt & Whitney R-985 only makes 450hp out of 16.1L
So it has a pretty high power to displacement ratio.
ak_907_ak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #30
Sailariel

AK, I know that the manual says that regular gas is ok, but I run mine on premium. My 63 Corvette had a 327cu in engine which put out 350HP. Anything less than Sunoco 260 would cause the engine to protest violently. The Ninja likes Sunoco Premium.

Old December 5th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #31
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Yeh, I ran my '69 Dodge Super Bee 426 Hemi (550 HP) on Hess 104+ and other 100+ that I could find!

I wish I could find some non-ethanol blends in the DC area!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #32
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Try Shell. I'm not too far from you, but we only have one shell in the area - luckily it's ethanol free - Virginia is like most states in that it requires stations to put stickers on the pumps if it's more than 1% ethanol.
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #33
Sailariel

Glad you mentioned Shell. Exxon/Mobil is leaving Maine to be replaced by Shell. I don`t like ethanol in my fuel--raises hell in outboard motors. Our harbor boat runs poorly on it as does my outboard for our dinghy. The stuff seems to atract moisture.

Old December 6th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #34
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Try Shell. I'm not too far from you, but we only have one shell in the area - luckily it's ethanol free - Virginia is like most states in that it requires stations to put stickers on the pumps if it's more than 1% ethanol.
Thanks. Funny you should mention Shell. That's what I use. I just filled up my Wrangler, yesterday and noticed the 10% notice. I will keep putting a little sta-bil in with each tank.

Sunoco has a non-ethanol product, but it's not available in Virginia or I should say, it's not convenient (location) to buy it. Phillips 66 also, but not in VA.

Old December 20th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #35
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Here is my winterization.

Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #36
g21-30

Cochese,

Think about some plywood or cardboard to put under your tires.

Old December 20th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #37
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Cochese,

Think about some plywood or cardboard to put under your tires.
Going up on stands if they ever get here.

Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #38
Sailariel

Cocise, Stands are the way to go. Just got mine last week.