ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 26th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

OK to use this grease?

This may be a dumb question, but if there is a fundamental I don't know, I'm ready to learn.

I have a barely used tub of grease that I used on my bicycles. It is by the Park Tool company called "PolyLube 1000." I believe it is a polyurethane-based grease, and is the primary grease for bicycles (threads, bearings, etc.).

Since I have yet to acquire all the little doodads for motorcycles, I was thinking about using it.... if it would work. For instance, since riding in the rain, my kickstand isn't giving me that nice crisp "snap" back..... so I thought I would grease the pivot point with this stuff..... am I good to go ahead with this?

Thanks.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #2
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Their web discription says it would be perfect . It's waterproof,should be fine
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #3
headshrink

Thanks... will do!

I figured it would be fine, but thought I should ask.

Old December 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #4
kkim

I agree that would be a suitable grease to use for light duty applications, such as pivot points and the like, but I'd shy away from it for HD applications such as wheel bearings.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #5
headshrink

I just pulled off my kickstand, cleaned and used the Park lube... I got my "snap" back!

I noticed that there is quite a bit of play in the stand side-to-side since it isn't a very tight fit, but with the spring attached to hold tension I never noticed it before. I will assume this is normal unless I hear otherwise. Also, the bolt that holds on the kickstand switch was TIGHT.... is had some red stuff on the threads, which I couldn't tell if it was starting to corrode or if it was a thread lock. I added a LIGHT amount of grease to the threads when I put it back on so it doesn't seize. I hope I did a good thing and not a stupid thing.

Old December 26th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #6
headshrink

I don't know why I didn't think of this before now.... but I am putting in an order right now for other little parts with CheapCycleParts, I might as well order the proper grease too....

Can anyone recommend one? I really don't know the significance between one and the other.

Old December 26th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #7
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Use some blue loctite for put "shtuff" back together
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #8
kkim

Proper grease for what? If you look in the service manual, you will see they recommend a specific grease for different applications. I have about 2 or 3 different greases on my shelf depending on the application.

Old December 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Anyone have a recommendation on how to apply grease (other than applications that require a grease gun with a Zerk fitting). Every time I take out the axles I do apply some high-pressure/high-temp synth grease, but I do it by putting on a latex glove, getting a goop of it, getting a thin layer all over the axle, and replacing it. Sometimes I take off the latex glove before replacing it, but if I do that even touching the axle gets grease all over my hands. But if I don't remove the gloves, then I'm getting grease on everything else I'm touching while reassembling the axle.

There's got to be a recommended process out there; what works for you folks?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Every time I take out the axles I do apply some high-pressure/high-temp synth grease, but I do it by putting on a latex glove, getting a goop of it, getting a thin layer all over the axle, and replacing it. Sometimes I take off the latex glove before replacing it, but if I do that even touching the axle gets grease all over my hands. But if I don't remove the gloves, then I'm getting grease on everything else I'm touching while reassembling the axle.
lol... same problem here. I don't think there is a fix. I just wipe up with a clean rag after I'm done. I'd rather have too much grease that not enough. It'll wash off... eventually.

Old December 26th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #11
kkim

um... no one was asking about repacking wheel bearings.

Old December 26th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #12
headshrink

Can I have some recommendations for the grease? I am looking at pages and pages, and am overwhelmed. I don't even know what I am looking at.

If I knew what to get, I would get all the types I would need now.

http://www.shopcheapcycleparts.com/s...roducts=grease

Old December 27th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I wouldn't stress. Far greater problems are caused by manufacturers (and later in a bike's life, mechanics) not applying any grease, than are caused by someone choosing the wrong grease. For bearings, axles, or any other high-pressure high stress areas, that Motorex "high pressure 3000" wouldn't be a bad choice. For any other low-stress area (that sidestand pivot point, shifter linkages, etc), that Moterex universal grease EP2 wouldn't be such a bad choice either. Though for those second uses, just about anything from WD-40 to 3-in-1 oil to 90 weight gear-oil or even that bearing grease, all would work for a period of time (depending on how often you wanted to re-apply).

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old December 27th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #14
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

We have always used Marine grease for the axles on our dirt bikes. And have carried it over to the street even though.... gosh forbid My Street bike sees rain.

It is usually blue. I think KKim uses marine grease also. That is waterproof grease for boating ,not for putting grease on actual Marines. They might kick your butt. sorry can't resist. just to be clear.

Anyway. A light general grease for things like your kick stand, a nice tri-flo type of spray for your cables. Get a cable greaser it is handy ( little block thing, ask you dealer or bicycle shop.).

Maybe go down to your dealer and they can help ya instead of mail ording just this first time.

Oh and just get it on your hands and use that GO JO orange stuff to clean them up or another good idea is use just one finger part of a latex/nitrile glove and you will have enough for 5 applications with one glove

Just read Alex post. Good products he suggested and Be sure to use CHAIN LUBE type of lubricant on your chain.

Old December 27th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartan View Post
I think KKim uses marine grease also. That is waterproof grease for boating, not for putting grease on actual Marines.

Old December 27th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #16
kkim

This is what I use for wheel bearings and any HD application where I want the grease to stay put for a long time w/o water/corrosion setting in. Axles, shock linkages, etc. Things that you rarely take apart and are subject to water. I found this to be one of the better greases available when I was into dirt bikes and did a lot of water and stream crossings. Lubed everything I took apart w/ this stuff. Not saying it's the best, only that I've used it and it has not failed on me.

For a medium grade grease, I just found something at walmart and have a tube of a Teflon based grease on the shelf.

For light duty stuff, wd-40, triflow, silicone spray, ace lube... whatever is on sale at the local hardware store.

Old December 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #17
headshrink

I chose the Bel-Ray stuff because it was significantly cheaper and looked good.... put in my CC and then discovered the grease was the only thing that DIDN'T go through....grrrrrr. I'll have to find an alternative since I have been waiting to order other little things until I had a bigger order and don't want to pay for shipping again. Well.... looking on the bright side, at least I am finally getting the proper service manual and a replacement shift pedal (mine is a little bent).

Old December 27th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #18
kkim

Call around to any motorcycle shop in your area and if they stock Bel Ray stuff, I'm sure they will have that grease.

Old December 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #19
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Shrink, The Park Polylube 1000 is great stuff. Remember that Park Tool made specialty tools for motorcycles well before it got into bicycles. I use polylube 1000 on levers, sidestand, and anything else that needs to run free. I buy Super Lube by the tub ($12.00 for 1Lb) and use it on wheel bearings. I have not used it on the Ninja yet. I have used it on my bicycles (have a bike shop) and have had great sucess in racing. The Super Lube looks like it was freshly applied after a year on my bikes. The stuff is truly waterproof.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote