ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 16th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #1
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Dropped bike off for valve adj. v. New valve stems?

I was out of the country for about a week, and decided to drop the bike off at a shop and have the valve check/adjustment while I was out. I just came back and called to see if I could pick it up but the receptionist said the mechanic (co-owner) working on it was out for the day and that he left a note saying he was on hold with my bike pending some order. All the receptionist said was that the note mentioned new valve stems.

I'm guessing these aren't tire valve stems, but head valve stems. Originally the check/adjustment was going to run me $250 with them throwing some extra checks and adjustments here and there. How much are new valve stems and where could I find them at a low price? I tried searching on google but all I came up with was complete heads for pregens on ebay.

The bike ran fine before I dropped it off, or so I thought, if getting new stems is much more than an additional $300 I think I'm going to have to just get the bike back and sit on it for a while.

Thanks for your input and God bless.

Old July 16th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
she probably read it wrong. probably needed to order shims.

unless your bike had serious oil or timing issues it shouldnt need new valves. if it was running fine, they should be fine. unless your mechanic messed them up? the valve/stem is one piece and they are i think $30 for intakes, $50 for exhausts. theres 4 of each.

if they are trying to replace the valve stems for you tell them no. the cost for the service and parts for that will likely be very high. not to mention fixing the cause of the issue which might require some serious work. replacement motors can be had for around 600.

Old July 16th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by edxmon View Post
.......the receptionist said the mechanic (co-owner) working on it was out for the day and that he left a note saying he was on hold with my bike pending some order.
Shouldn't any mechanic consult the owner before incurring in additional costs, like ordering parts?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #4
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
she probably read it wrong. probably needed to order shims.

unless your bike had serious oil or timing issues it shouldnt need new valves. if it was running fine, they should be fine. unless your mechanic messed them up? the valve/stem is one piece and they are i think $30 for intakes, $50 for exhausts. theres 4 of each.

if they are trying to replace the valve stems for you tell them no. the cost for the service and parts for that will likely be very high. not to mention fixing the cause of the issue which might require some serious work. replacement motors can be had for around 600.
Well ****. I've had the bike for 4 months, how could I not have noticed an issue that is apparently this serious? I've ridden the thing through the MSF course and on the highway no problem. Heck the other owner even took it for a ride when I first came in and he said it was one of the best feeling ninjettes he'd seen. If HE didn't notice something wrong big time I'm beginning to think either you are correct in saying the receptionist misinterpreted something or they screwed up/are trying to scam me. The latter would be ironic because I took it to this shop which is small but established in town regardless of the somewhat high hourly rate JUST to have the peace of mind of knowing they were legit.

Old July 16th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #5
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Shouldn't any mechanic consult the owner before incurring in additional costs, like ordering parts?
Yea, that's the reason the bike isn't ready yet and they hadn't worked on it. I was out of the country. Did you read the top of the post, where I said the work was on hold?

Old July 16th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
i like to think so...

but for a valve job, shims are something i would think they would keep in stock and not charge a customer for.

Old July 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Not a few dollars worth of shims that is part of doing the very job the customer already agreed to pay for. Wait until the shim/stem question is answered before getting that worked up.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #8
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
i like to think so...

but for a valve job, shims are something i would think they would keep in stock and not charge a customer for.
The owner I spoke to said they wouldn't, they would just exchange the ones I need for the ones they take off my bike.

Old July 16th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
The owner I spoke to said they wouldn't, they would just exchange the ones I need for the ones they take off my bike.
they probably just ran out of the shim size your bike needed.

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #10
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
they probably just ran out of the shim size your bike needed.
I was told to call tomorrow afternoon to speak with the gentleman working on my bike, I really hope this turns out for the best.

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
....Did you read the top of the post, where I said the work was on hold?
Yes, Ed, I always do read, but not always do understand.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #12
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Yes, Ed, I always do read, but not always do understand.
No belliegerence meant.

I'm really looking forward to calling later today and finding out what the heck is going on.

Old July 17th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
call nao!

Old July 17th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #14
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

I just got off the phone, bike is ready and they WERE talking about tire valve stems

WOOT! Dodged a bullet there!

Old July 17th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sounds like they are good mechanics