ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 21st, 2012, 09:39 AM   #41
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Did you get any other sizes? I would've gotten up to the 115's if you plan to go to a full exhaust in the future.

Since you mentioned your top-end felt good I would fiddle around with the needle height while you wait for those main jets to come in. Find the main jet that makes you go "awww hell yeahhhhhhh" at WOT to redline and fix up your mid-range by experimenting with the needle height.

Old November 21st, 2012, 09:48 AM   #42
drunyon
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Did you get any other sizes? I would've gotten up to the 115's if you plan to go to a full exhaust in the future.

Since you mentioned your top-end felt good I would fiddle around with the needle height while you wait for those main jets to come in. Find the main jet that makes you go "awww hell yeahhhhhhh" at WOT to redline and fix up your mid-range by experimenting with the needle height.
well from what I read on the jetting databases, everyone with the slipon and airbox delete with k&n pods are using 112's. Im using 100s now so 112 should be much better. I have no idea how to adjust needle height...I was going to just put the new mains in and see how that worked..not going full exhaust in the future either.
drunyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2012, 09:51 AM   #43
menikmati

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunyon View Post
well from what I read on the jetting databases, everyone with the slipon and airbox delete with k&n pods are using 112's. Im using 100s now so 112 should be much better. I have no idea how to adjust needle height...I was going to just put the new mains in and see how that worked..not going full exhaust in the future either.
Needle height requires removal of the gas tank for access to the carb top screws.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_..._needle_height.

I thought you installed the Dynojet kit? That kit should've come with DJ needles and e-clips so you can adjust the needle height.

Every bike is different when it comes to jetting, you also have to factor in elevation, temperature and environmental variables that come into play. You can use them as a base reference, but don't be afraid to stray a little. My bike ran great with 112.5's and the needles at the 3rd position during the summer with ambient temps of around 85-90F but I changed it recently to 115's and needles at 3.5 position for colder weather (temperatures of 45-50F).

From my experience changing out the main jets is a lot more of a pain compared to adjusting the needle height or idle mixture screws.

Old November 21st, 2012, 09:54 AM   #44
drunyon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Needle height requires removal of the gas tank for access to the carb top screws.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_..._needle_height.

I thought you installed the Dynojet kit? That kit should've come with DJ needles and e-clips so you can adjust the needle height.

Every bike is different when it comes to jetting, you also have to factor in elevation, temperature and environmental variables that come into play. You can use them as a base reference, but don't be afraid to stray a little. My bike ran great with 112.5's and the needles at the 3rd position during the summer with ambient temps of around 85-90F but I changed it recently to 115's and needles at 3.5 position for colder weather (temperatures of 45-50F).
It did come with the needles and eclips, i just didnt use them lol. well sounds like getting to the needles are easier than the main jets

Old November 21st, 2012, 09:56 AM   #45
menikmati

Quote:
It did come with the needles and eclips, i just didnt use them lol. well sounds like getting to the needles are easier than the main jets
Yeah, you should put those e-clips on the 3rd (middle) position and drop those in. I believe the DJ needles have a different taper compared to the stock needles so you may see a performance change just by dropping those in. I know the DJ and FP needles have different tapers but I didn't notice a performance change until I raised the needles.

" Step 2: Find the proper needle height.

Start from the tuned jet that you decided on in step 1. Use the stock needle height, and keep raising the needles by adding washers. If it runs better with more washers, then, when you get to about 4, go up a size on the main jets and start with the stock needle height again.

Even after you get the main jet correct, you will often end up with a midrange stumble at 5k-6k rpm. This has little to do with main jet size. You can take care of it by adjusting the needle height. Lower the needle until you get a mid-range stumble, then raise it by 1 washer at a time until you get rid of the stumble.

Symptoms:

LEAN = Stuttering. Runs better when bike is hot. White plugs.

RICH = Bogging. Runs better when bike is cold. Black plugs. "

Old November 21st, 2012, 09:58 AM   #46
drunyon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yeah, you should put those e-clips on the 3rd (middle) position and drop those in. I believe the DJ needles have a different taper compared to the stock needles so you may see a performance change just by dropping those in. I know the DJ and FP needles have different tapers but I didn't notice a performance change until I raised the needles.

" Step 2: Find the proper needle height.

Start from the tuned jet that you decided on in step 1. Use the stock needle height, and keep raising the needles by adding washers. If it runs better with more washers, then, when you get to about 4, go up a size on the main jets and start with the stock needle height again.

Even after you get the main jet correct, you will often end up with a midrange stumble at 5k-6k rpm. This has little to do with main jet size. You can take care of it by adjusting the needle height. Lower the needle until you get a mid-range stumble, then raise it by 1 washer at a time until you get rid of the stumble.

Symptoms:

LEAN = Stuttering. Runs better when bike is hot. White plugs.

RICH = Bogging. Runs better when bike is cold. Black plugs. "
I may wait until the jets get here to do the needles.
Sounds pretty easy though, thanks

Old November 21st, 2012, 10:00 AM   #47
menikmati

Quote:
I may wait until the jets get here to do the needles.
Sounds pretty easy though, thanks
I used this as a tuning guide when jetting my bike:

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #48
drunyon
ninjette.org member

Got the jets in the mail the other day. I didnt feel like doing it though, gotta get a hex bit for my right angle attachment. maybe I'll do it today.

Old December 7th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #49
drunyon
ninjette.org member

got the damn main air jet stuck in one of the main jet holes when reassembling.
having a friend come over tomorrow to help get it out, trying to do it without removing the carb or tank, so far went well until reaseembly .

Old December 8th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #50
drunyon
ninjette.org member

got the piece out that was stuck, when putting the jet holder back in the threads were stripped alittle so i forced it in and the damn thing broke off inside. so now i need a new carb .

Old December 8th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #51
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Well, I'm sorry I encouraged you to do the jetting yourself, I'd thought you were capable of turning a screw.

Again, sorry man
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #52
drunyon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Well, I'm sorry I encouraged you to do the jetting yourself, I'd thought you were capable of turning a screw.

Again, sorry man
LOL screw you!!! I was doing fine with the turning but I had stripped a few threads when I was attempting to get the thing that was stuck last week. oh well ill learn from my mistakes

Old December 8th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #53
menikmati

Quote:
got the piece out that was stuck, when putting the jet holder back in the threads were stripped alittle so i forced it in and the damn thing broke off inside. so now i need a new carb .
Nail in the coffin.

Old December 10th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #54
drunyon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Nail in the coffin.
well i didnt know they were stripped till i tried screwing it in, at that point it was all or nothing anyways. I'd rather risk breaking something trying to get the last bit in rather than remachining the hole. Sad part is it was about 1/2 a MM left until it was completely in when it broke . The part I have that broke off pretty much looks just like a hex nut.

Old June 24th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #55
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rejetti...ng_pod_filters

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_...e_your_jetting
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote