ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 21st, 2013, 02:21 AM   #1
chef
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 1965 Honda S90 , 2010 Ninja 250,2012 Vespa LX 150(Yes,a vespa!)

Electrical problems

After actually seeing my bike from behind at night,i recognized how invisible i really was with the LED under tail & blinkers so decided to install a Yoshimura fender eliminator & utilize the stock blinkers,should have been an easy fix.
In my last post a lot of things were clarified that using front flush LEDS & rear stock blinkers,there would be no need for the diode install.
Upon removal of the undertail & rear LEDs i found that the shop had twist wired 2 additional sockets with bulbs wrapped in tape,these would lash the same as the rear LEDS,only hidden under the seat.
I assume these were installed as a makeshift "diode mod" ( Correct ?)
Installed the Yoshi fender elim kit & connected all the wires back to the original connectors & everything works fine.
( Flash speed is constant with both front flush LEDS & rear stock signals.)
Here is where the problem arises...angel eyes/HID are installed directly to the battery with an inline blade fuse which melted after installing the stock rear signals.my family took it back to the shop & installed a new fuse & yesterday was the first time to ride.
Daytime riding with the running lights has not caused a problem but 5 minutes into the ride home last night,the headlights went out again...angel eyes still on....the entire 20 km trip home the lights would intermittently come on & go off again UNTIL just a few km from home i was greeted by the sweet smell of burning electrical cables!!!!! I could feel the heat just under the fairing where the fuse is installed,turned off the headlights & continued home slowly.
The fuse is melted ! The connection to the fuse block is melted ! The inside of the fuse block is melted !
Has removing this backyard "diode mod" created more current due to removing the LEDS & installing stock signals?
My brother in law went to the shop today & they just installed a new fuse & holder which i am sure will have the same result next time i use the lights at night.
The fuse that burned last night was 15 amp(blue,& installed inline with the HID/angel eye)
What should be my list of things to test?
chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

everything

we will need a lot of info, where did they tap power from, what's feeding the load, what's feeds the (switch?), pics of setup.

this sounds like an electrical nightmare to me
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote