ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old April 18th, 2023, 06:11 PM   #1
Guaire
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2005 EX250, 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT

Beeline Navigation Holder

I attached a Ram X Mount for my phone. I used the clutch side M8 x 1.25 right hand thread. Now I've added the Beeline navigator. It's used with an app on the phone.
I had a 1/4" x 20 camera mount device. It can velcro onto a handlebar so an action camera can be mounted. I velcroed it to my top triple clamp. Using the quarter 20 GoPro camera mount, I connected the Beeline. The small disc works with the phone. The Beeline can easily mount on multiple bikes using different mounts.
Unlike conventional GPS, you don't have to feed in an address. Using the app with Google Maps, you can drop a pin on a spot on the map. Then you can start the route to a location, not just a street address.
Here's their website:
https://beeline.co
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beeline SZ 91.1.jpg (101.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Beeline SZ 89.2.jpg (123.2 KB, 5 views)
Guaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2023, 08:27 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Cool, but don't look at it while you're moving.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2023, 06:59 AM   #3
Guaire
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Cool, but don't look at it while you're moving.
What do you think of the promo and instructional videos?

Old April 20th, 2023, 03:21 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

What is the battery life like? Hours or days?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2023, 03:56 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaire View Post
What do you think of the promo and instructional videos?
I watched the video on their site. It's a neat device, but I won't use anything that takes my attention away from what's happening on the road in front of me.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2023, 04:47 PM   #6
Guaire
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
What is the battery life like? Hours or days?
Like days or weeks. The disk fits onto a dongle with a USB plug for charging.
Basically, It tells you only the basics of what you need. The little arrowhead points straight, left or right. There's a little arch of dots along the upper edge. This tells you how far you go to the next turn.
If you want to see the map, you can look at your phone with the Beeline app running. Otherwise, the little Nav circle tells you what's up in a quick glance.
The design concept was to keep you on track with minimum visual footprint.

Old April 20th, 2023, 05:24 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Got it, thanks. It seems a bit gimmicky, but I guess it will appeal to some. I'd think the number of people who want navigation on their dash would instead spring for an actual GPS that can be controlled and seen while riding if needed. I'd also imagine that a certain portion of folks who would be interested in a gadget like this, are also interested in running music/phone audio into their helmet somehow already, so they can get navigation instructions from their phone directly without a separate limited screen.

Someone on one of the LD Riding groups I'm in is always testing the latest gadgets on his bikes, and he put this on his dash last week for testing:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804888990774.html

carplay.jpg

It's basically just a Apple Carplay / Android Auto screen that connects to your phone wirelessly, just as it would in a car. It's a bright screen and is glove friendly, and it's cheap ($130 or so). He had some issues in testing last week (it would crash/reboot at times), but he's working through them to see if it is viable is a real tool compared to a standalone GPS unit or having to mount an expensive phone on the dash out in the open.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2023, 06:43 PM   #8
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Got it, thanks. It seems a bit gimmicky, but I guess it will appeal to some. I'd think the number of people who want navigation on their dash would instead spring for an actual GPS that can be controlled and seen while riding if needed. I'd also imagine that a certain portion of folks who would be interested in a gadget like this, are also interested in running music/phone audio into their helmet somehow already, so they can get navigation instructions from their phone directly without a separate limited screen.
I remember seeing the Beeline a while back. It looks like it shows more now than what I remember from back then. The idea was for it to be a very basic, non-distracting guide. Generally speaking, I think that's a great vision. In reality though, I think you're right that a lot of the people who would want something like this and go through the cost/time of adding it to their bike, would go a bit further and install a "full" GPS setup instead. Beeline is also aimed at pedal bikes as well. I can see the long battery life being great there, if you need GPS while cycling.

Quote:
Someone on one of the LD Riding groups I'm in is always testing the latest gadgets on his bikes, and he put this on his dash last week for testing:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804888990774.html

Attachment 49676

It's basically just a Apple Carplay / Android Auto screen that connects to your phone wirelessly, just as it would in a car. It's a bright screen and is glove friendly, and it's cheap ($130 or so). He had some issues in testing last week (it would crash/reboot at times), but he's working through them to see if it is viable is a real tool compared to a standalone GPS unit or having to mount an expensive phone on the dash out in the open.
I just got one too. So far, I love it.

After I typed up a few paragraphs about it here, I figured I should probably start a new thread and not hijack this one...

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Last futzed with by InvisiBill; May 31st, 2023 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Added link to other thread
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2023, 11:00 AM   #9
Guaire
ninjette.org member

I shot this before I got hit with a cold. This is the cockpit as it is now.
I have used a Garmin [Zumo] before. It's a different concept. For one thing, the traditional GPS ALWAYS demands a street address. The Beeline is happy with a tap on the map.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cockpit SZ 74.jpg (89.4 KB, 4 views)

Old May 3rd, 2023, 08:10 AM   #10
Guaire
ninjette.org member

The Garmin Zumo is waterproof and shockproof. It also has a mini SD chip for running gigabytes of music to you via Bluetooth. You can get lifetime map updates. But, the installation is more involved than a Beeline with a phone.
First, you have wire in the power. On this Yamaha XZ550 I had installed a Reg/Rec from RoadsterCycle. Then I added an Eastern Beaver 8 circuit box. Next, wire in the powered interface and mount it in the cockpit.
Then, you're ready to go. BUT... you can't pick a spot, you must have a street address. So, basically it's a street/address finder. The Beeline itself is very simple, designed for a low visual profile with the vitals of the routing. For the bigger screen view, you just look over the Beeline Map app on the phone. You get a full screen detailed view of your location and route, similar to the Garmin Zumo. But, you don't have to stare at it. It's a Google Maps based map data base.

That's one of the reasons I started to prefer the Beeline that doesn't need a street address. I like being able to simply tap the map on the phone and get going. It's very good at getting somewhere, minus interstates! Easy find preferences and easy to set are a big positive for me.
Here's a few pics of the wire harness and the interface::
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power Mounts Pair.jpg (121.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Power CU.jpg (121.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Garmin Cockpit.jpg (173.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen CU.jpg (150.1 KB, 0 views)

Last futzed with by Guaire; May 3rd, 2023 at 02:27 PM.

Old May 31st, 2023, 11:30 AM   #11
Guaire
ninjette.org member

From Alex -
"I'd think the number of people who want navigation on their dash would instead spring for an actual GPS that can be controlled and seen while riding if needed."

The Beeline is used with the iPhone, or other phone. With its app running, you use the entire phone screen that is comparable to the Garmin. The Beeline unit, in a graphic way, shows distance to turn and direction of turn. If you don't want to see the mapping etc., don't look.

"I'd also imagine that a certain portion of folks who would be interested in a gadget like this, are also interested in running music/phone audio into their helmet somehow already, so they can get navigation instructions from their phone directly without a separate limited screen."

The Garmin Zumo will play music while enroute.
On an iPhone, the music app can work simultaneously with the Beeline app. Nav instructions are on the Beeline device and on the full screen iPhone app simultaneously.
While using the Beeline system, what I like about the added use of the phone screen, is that it gives me more contextual spacial information. Just a personal preference there.