ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 4th, 2022, 10:32 AM   #41
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by twb503 View Post
Little update: I bought a locking socket extension, but I can’t seem to get it to snap into place on the socket. I’m scared that the socket connecting bit may have gotten warped, either that or I’m just really, really stupid (as we’ve established). I think the tip of the spark plug may be getting in the way of the extension, so I’m not really sure.
Locking ball won't snap into socket, the release-lever must be activated to give ball room to move inwards. You can rig up way to pull release-lever while lowering extension down onto socket. Try wrapping loop of dental-floss between lever and body of extension so you can pull it remotely.

IS the plug completely spun out of hole? If not, have you tried tightening socket?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2022, 11:00 AM   #42
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

when a bolt starts to strip using a 6 sided socket that is slightly too big it rounds off the corners of the nut and balls the metal up into the flat of the next
segment on the nut many times this will hold the socket on real hard and the only way to get it back off is to either strip the nut completely or go back the other way and try to tighten it again and get back to a flat on the nut.... now there's still metal in the flats and between the socket making it jammed on there quite hard but from that position ( loose on the nut) you can usually wiggle it till it comes off.... the problem here is there is no room to wiggle it
so you'll just have to spend an hour with the extension on it trying to get the thing loose.... not being able to get the extension on the socket is because the socket is on the plug too far try to pull the socket out 1/4" and jamb a screw driver in there and keep the socket from going any further in the hole... use it like a wedge ....once you get the extension back on the socket then remove the screwdriver wedge and try to pull the socket out of there
if I remember correctly I just used my automotive 5/8" deep spark plug socket to remove both plugs on my Ninja but I made sure I was using my good extension before I went deep into that hole and the plugs were not real tight..... and I had no trouble at all.
if you can't get the socket to come up a little to clear the spark plug tip then you'll have to bust it and like you I do not like that idea of porcelain fragments in the engine...but they should be contained in the socket as long as the plug stays in the socket coming out !
don't beat yourself up too bad everyone makes mistakes ! that's part of the game ...learning from it is what it's all about !
Yes get some deep 6 sided metric sockets ! although to get one thin walled enough to go in there may be a task in itself.... I have a hundred old honda tool kit sockets for removing sparkplugs that are thin walled but i only use them under duress as I don't like pressed out sheet metal tools at all.
1st task is to get the socket up off the head so the extension will fit on there fully !!!
Bob......

Old March 4th, 2022, 11:17 AM   #43
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Do you happen to have a pair of long reach needle nose plyers ?
I got mine from harbor freight tools about 2 years ago and I use them constantly on the Ninja... i got the straight nose and bent nose pair.... i use the straight ones the most....
get all the hoses and crap back so you can actually see in there and try that....
another idea is if the spark plug socket has a hex head on it find a socket that fits that instead of trying to get the extension in the hole.... 11/16" or 3/4" socket probably won't fit in the hole to go on the socket though but it is worth a try.... use some tape over the edge of the socket to get it to stick on there....
by jamming it on.....
good luck...
Bob......

Old March 4th, 2022, 01:01 PM   #44
twb503
ninjette.org member

Name: Conner

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Locking ball won't snap into socket, the release-lever must be activated to give ball room to move inwards. You can rig up way to pull release-lever while lowering extension down onto socket. Try wrapping loop of dental-floss between lever and body of extension so you can pull it remotely.

IS the plug completely spun out of hole? If not, have you tried tightening socket?
I think the plug is spun out at this point. But I can’t seem to get it out (because I can’t really reach there)

Old March 6th, 2022, 06:30 AM   #45
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I think the plug is spun out at this point. But I can’t seem to get it out (because I can’t really reach there)
So the socket is stuck, but the plug is spun out?

If you need to just get the plug out, a rubber hose that you can force onto the plug firmly would help to pull it out.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2022, 12:35 PM   #46
twb503
ninjette.org member

Quick update:
I spent the last two days taking the engine out so I could pull out the head and weld a screwdriver to the stuck socket to try and pull it out. Even then I still had some trouble. THAT'S how stuck this thing is.
But, I managed to get it out! So I got the spark plugs changed and the issue certainly got better, but it's not fixed. It still craps out around 9k, but only for a split second. What now?

Old March 6th, 2022, 01:16 PM   #47
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well that absolutely SUCKS ! but at least you got the darn thing out'a there !
THAT WOULD HAVE TAKEN ME AT LEAST A WEEK TO ACCOMPLISH ! so you did really good in a short amount of time !
buy a thin wall spark plug socket now so you don't have to do that again....
.... it must have contracted as it cooled so much that it grabbed the socket !
.... who would have thought that you only had around 5 thousandths clearance eh ???
ok.... explain in more detail by what you mean by it's crapping out at 9,000 RPM.... is there a sogg or bogg or flat spot or does it hit a Plato and it won't go faster than that ....
sounds like your describing a flat spot that you can get over in acceleration.... it will go beyond that....right ?
does this happen under load and not when it's not in gear ?
what have you done to the carburation system on it lately and when did this bike start doing this ?
it definitely sounds like a carburetor issue to me ! like plugged main jets or plugged emulsifier tubes or just in general dirty carbs....
dirty carbs can so many different symptoms no 2 bikes are the same on the symptoms !
Bob......

Old March 6th, 2022, 01:19 PM   #48
twb503
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Well that absolutely SUCKS ! but at least you got the darn thing out'a there !
THAT WOULD HAVE TAKEN ME AT LEAST A WEEK TO ACCOMPLISH ! so you did really good in a short amount of time !
buy a thin wall spark plug socket now so you don't have to do that again....
.... it must have contracted as it cooled so much that it grabbed the socket !
.... who would have thought that you only had around 5 thousandths clearance eh ???
ok.... explain in more detail by what you mean by it's crapping out at 9,000 RPM.... is there a sogg or bogg or flat spot or does it hit a Plato and it won't go faster than that ....
sounds like your describing a flat spot that you can get over in acceleration.... it will go beyond that....right ?
does this happen under load and not when it's not in gear ?
what have you done to the carburation system on it lately and when did this bike start doing this ?
it definitely sounds like a carburetor issue to me ! like plugged main jets or plugged emulsifier tubes or just in general dirty carbs....
dirty carbs can so many different symptoms no 2 bikes are the same on the symptoms !
Bob......
Once it hits 9k, it'll stop accelerating for a split second, then carry on. Only happens at WOT under load. I've tried seafoam, both sprayed through the intake and in the fuel tank to try and clean out stuff. I think it started doing this before I got it, but I'm not sure. It got
REALLY bad this last week.

Old March 6th, 2022, 02:18 PM   #49
twb503
ninjette.org member

Okay, now every once in a while, the engine just cuts out entirely and stalls out once in neutral. The only way I can get it to run once it stalls is to put the choke all the way on and start it. When I rev it, it revs up but then doesn't come down. Seems to be leaking gas too. What gives?

Old March 6th, 2022, 02:43 PM   #50
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Sounds like dirty carbs to me, take them off seperate them carefully
and do a real through cleaning of the carbs... that means taking everything off that will come off and clean every passage way especially the pilot circuit
which has a tendancy to clog up and most people don't clean it good enough !
.... CHECK the float levels and make sure they are spot on !
as your doing this check every "O" ring you come accross for damage and replace if you can ( the "O" rings on the tube that connects the 2 carbs have a tendancy to ware fast,.... best to replace those)
it's best to get two cake pans and put each carburator in one do not mix the parts.... and then tear them apart and clean them and make sure you can get carb cleaner through all the passage ways.
count the turns out each air screw is out by screwing it in till it just stops then take them out the spring and tiny washer too don't loose them !
that is one of 4 passageways that connect inside the carb on the pilot circuit
it is the hardest to clean but it MUST be clean to run right !
above all do not loose any parts,or forget where they go ! take pictures if you must ( that helps alot) and also how they were hooked up with all the vacuum lines!
don't bother taking them to a bike shop they will not do a good job of cleaning them ....
if your reluctant on tackling the job, box them up and send them to Ducattiman he does fantastic work and at a reasonable price.
.....it took me 3 times of pulling the carbs and cleaning them before I got the bike to idle.... and I am a retired motorcycle mechanic ...these carbs are the hardest to clean I have ever ran into !
Bob.......

Old March 6th, 2022, 02:55 PM   #51
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
carbs needs complete disaasembly and full restoration.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 7th, 2022, 07:45 AM   #52
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Quick update:
I spent the last two days taking the engine out so I could pull out the head and weld a screwdriver to the stuck socket to try and pull it out. Even then I still had some trouble. THAT'S how stuck this thing is.
But, I managed to get it out! So I got the spark plugs changed and the issue certainly got better, but it's not fixed. It still craps out around 9k, but only for a split second. What now?
Carbs.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2022, 08:22 AM   #53
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
So the socket is stuck, but the plug is spun out?

If you need to just get the plug out, a rubber hose that you can force onto the plug firmly would help to pull it out.
or get a telescoping magnet

Last futzed with by shspvr; March 7th, 2022 at 09:30 AM.
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2022, 08:50 AM   #54
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Once it hits 9k, it'll stop accelerating for a split second, then carry on. Only happens at WOT under load. I've tried seafoam, both sprayed through the intake and in the fuel tank to try and clean out stuff. I think it started doing this before I got it, but I'm not sure. It got
REALLY bad this last week.
I would pull the carb and drop bowl put in new set float needles and clean the carb the easy way to do this take out inner fender off that and you won't have to fight with carburetor as much to line up air box boots to carb as you be able slide the air back much further.

Link to original page on YouTube.

shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote