ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 29th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #1
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Which of these should I get for my first helmet?

So I am in the market for some gear now and while I would love to get a Shoei, they are a bit expensive for me right now so I came across a few helmets that I like and I would love to hear your opinions on them.

Bell Vortex Attack: http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/B...1698_59908_199

HJC CL-16: http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...539_59435_1936

BILT Chicane: http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/B...0576_59435_199

Scorpion EXO-400: http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/B...431_59409_1936

These are the ones that appeal to me. I was in Cycle Gear yesterday and I liked the Chicane but I didn't want to purchase it just yet. However, it is on sale until the 9th of July and I leave for two weeks starting tomorrow and want to purchase one today. Thanks in advance for the help.
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #2
r6boater
ninjette.org member

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): '04 R1 and '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdRatherDrum View Post
So I am in the market for some gear now and while I would love to get a Shoei, they are a bit expensive for me right now so I came across a few helmets that I like and I would love to hear your opinions on them.

These are the ones that appeal to me. I was in Cycle Gear yesterday and I liked the Chicane but I didn't want to purchase it just yet. However, it is on sale until the 9th of July and I leave for two weeks starting tomorrow and want to purchase one today. Thanks in advance for the help.
I love Scorpion helmets. It's what Draik races in and has crashed in more than once. I crashed in my pretty hard and was able to ride home. IMHO I thing they are the best value for the money. SportbikeTrackgear.com often has some on clearance for super good prices.

Old June 29th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #3
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

My bell vortex is pretty large. It's also VERY loud in comparison to my RS-1. I probably won't buy another Bell, both of mine have had the magnetic piece on the chin strip rip open and fall out. Also, on MY RS-1 the shield position adjuster randomly came loose and fell off.

I honestly wouldn't get any of those though if it were me, particularly the BILT... I know you don't want to spend a fortune on a helmet, but considering this protects your face/brain, don't skimp out on it.

You say you're going to be gone for 2 weeks, so why don't you just order one online and ship it to a friend/relative nearby.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/h...0+percent+off/ has some deals, 3 pages of helmets.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #4
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Have you tried all those helmets? You don't want to buy a helmet without trying it on, only to realize that the helmet shape doesn't fit your head.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #5
SSG54
ninjette.org member

Name: Benny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

i have the scorpion exe-400 i love it, great fit, also it is snell and dot, im not sure about the others if they are snell and dot or just dot.
SSG54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #6
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

I am going to be trying it on. The ones that are SNELL approved are the Bell, HJC, and the Scorpion.

Old June 29th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #7
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

most exo 400's are only snell 2005 and were manufactured ages ago. you should consider the new scorpion exo r410. a big upgrade from the 400 at only about $60 more. its a whole lot of helmet for sub $200
ADoMinGu3z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #8
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

So you're buying a bike that you're not going to ride and now buying a helmet? Sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Don't get a Bilt - they are cheap and you can feel it. Never cheap out on what protects your body.

Helmets all fit differently and you have to see which ones work for your head shape. If I had to recommend one without regard to that (even though it's most important) I would point you towards a Shoei. Ideally you'd keep a helmet for a few years, so get a nice one that you enjoy.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Forget snell and dot, they are next to useless.

Go for ECE approved and by SHARP ratings, they rank helmets and give full impact data to help you pick the best helmet and eliminating the cost factor.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

The scorpion and HJC are ece approved, but get poor ratings, the bell isn't available in europe and the bilt probably wouldn't pass ece as they look ******.

I brought a Caberg Duke based on it being a 5 star helmet for £140, when I came off! I didn't even realise I hit my head! Money well spent on an informed choice.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Forget snell and dot, they are next to useless.
This used to be the case, but your information is out of date.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Helmets

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

It still appears ECE is "better" due to actual multiple production samples being tested and not pre production models, and with the actual test data being published I feel safer buying a helmet knowing what tests have been done, how they were done, and how it scored.

Untill snell and dot test production models, and give the impact data, I would always feel uneasy wearing one when I could see if that same make and model was available in europe and scored well. I relaise a bell for example may not have an ece sticker on it, but if it's the same make and model it's pretty much going to be the same.

I don't trust snell, given it's an extra cost for the manufacturer, when it's non governmental safety standards it feels too much to me like they're buying a safety claim.

Old June 29th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

You can prefer whatever you like. But if you state that Snell is useless, you're spreading old and incorrect data.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #13
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
So you're buying a bike that you're not going to ride and now buying a helmet? Sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Don't get a Bilt - they are cheap and you can feel it. Never cheap out on what protects your body.

Helmets all fit differently and you have to see which ones work for your head shape. If I had to recommend one without regard to that (even though it's most important) I would point you towards a Shoei. Ideally you'd keep a helmet for a few years, so get a nice one that you enjoy.
I don't get what all the hate is. I'm not buying that bike anymore, but no one said I couldn't spend less money (which I have) to get a pregen. I am going to go check out the Shoei's today.

Old June 29th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #14
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I think it's next to useless, not to say it's useless but close to it, because of the lack of actual quantifiable data, not because they aren't actually certifying a helmet as passed.

If I were interviewing somebody for a job and said "do you have a university degree?" And they said "yes" and they withheld where they went, what pass grades they got, and what they studied, I wouldn't say they were useless, but without having the details, I would say it's next to useless.

Now, snell aren't about to give away the actual results any time soon, as they're in the business of selling certifications, why as a manufacturer would you want to get your helmet rated as a barely passed 2 while someone else is getting a fully passed with flying colurs 5, the whole snell thing would fail to exist as no manufacturer would bother, it stands to reason that any decent helmet should pass the snell tests given they aren't anything less that what you'd expect from a helmet, this simply elimates all the useless DOT "german style" helmets.

From this snell identifies a helmet as reaching the bare minimum from what you'd expect, without giving you anything more than "yep, it works as a helmet".

So when I go to recruit somebody I like to know what grades they got, what they studied at college / university, where, when and results, because without this data everyone in the job pool would look identicle and I wouldn't have an informed choice of the right person for the job, the same as snell doesn't give you an informed choice of which helmet is better, while with ECE giving you pretty much the same testing as snell, SHARP says, yes, while they have all passed technically, this one gives the worse acceptable performance and this one is top knotch, oh, and the one that protects better is actually £200 cheaper.

Old June 29th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Snell 2010 Standards - http://www.smf.org/standards/m/2010/m2010_final

DOT Helmet Standards - http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...px?reg=571.218

Article comparing the three standards - http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/moto...e-22-05-snell/

And another -
http://silodrome.com/snell-vs-dot-vs...rds-throwdown/

@OP I'd get a M2010 Snell certified or ECE certified helmet that fits the best and has the features you want. I just went through this same exercise about 2 weeks ago when I bought a new helmet.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #16
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Quote:
I don't get what all the hate is. I'm not buying that bike anymore, but no one said I couldn't spend less money (which I have) to get a pregen. I am going to go check out the Shoei's today.
I'm thankful that I have a RF-1100 head...Qwest, not so much - can't take advantage of them closeout sales
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #17
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

Quote:
I just bought a Shoei Qwest which was actually rated a bit better by a few places than the RF-1100 and I love it. MotorcycleGear.com has a bunch of last year's graphics on close out for $249.99 with free shipping. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street..._graphics.html

Here's the link to Web Bike World's review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/qwest/

Also, this model is Snell approved and received a Sharp 5 star rating. I'm finding it to be incredibly quiet and nicely vented on hot, humid days. If you like the fit of the Shoei's, I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #18
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

i've had my CL-16 for three years now, not a bad helmet, quite loud on highway, visor lifts when shoulder checking, vents suck ass in summer. got it for $130, so its not all that bad. I've been saving up for a Arai signet q, hella nice helmet.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #19
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

EXO-400 isn't bad but it's not great either. I'd suspect that's the case with any helmet in a lower price range. It will protect your head but it won't be luxurious while doing it. Weird thing on the scorpion, mines an extra large. Medium wouldn't fit my head, large was really uncomfortable. Looking back large would have broken in and XL is a bit too big but still I'm a happy medium in HJC and Icon so the fitment is weird.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #20
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I just bought a Shoei Qwest which was actually rated a bit better by a few places than the RF-1100 and I love it. MotorcycleGear.com has a bunch of last year's graphics on close out for $249.99 with free shipping. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street..._graphics.html

Here's the link to Web Bike World's review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/qwest/

Also, this model is Snell approved and received a Sharp 5 star rating. I'm finding it to be incredibly quiet and nicely vented on hot, humid days. If you like the fit of the Shoei's, I would not hesitate to recommend it.
Would it be bad to get a 2012 helmet? I like the designs

Old June 29th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #21
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

Quote:
I am in absolute love with my 2012 Qwest. So, in my opinion, no. Which one are you eyeing?

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #22
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

i like the Qwest. Was my very first helmet and i actually bought it at cyclegear of all places. Was eyeing the rf1100 but the funds just werent having it at the time. Compared to the rf1100 the qwest definitely feels much bigger & heavier all around. Not only that but the airflow isnt the best imo specially for days like today where its 100+. Still use it quite often though.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #23
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I am in absolute love with my 2012 Qwest. So, in my opinion, no. Which one are you eyeing?
I wanted the Airfoil, Color TC-1 or Ethereal, Color TC-1 but they either ran out of the mediums or had no mediums in that color.

I am also thinking about the Icon Variant. What do you guys know/think about that helmet. It looks nice to me.

Old June 29th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #24
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Nothing wrong with that. Helmets are supposed to be good for about 5 years if you take care of it.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #25
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

Check your local shops

No, this isn't a "buy local" rant.

I tried helmets for a few months finding the one that came with my bike (a small Arai (don't remember the exact model) that was painful moments after putting on.

I went around to shops and tried everything I could. I found I nearly universally needed a small helmet.

A nearby BMW, Ducati, Triumph shop (only sells high end gear) had a Shoei X-Tec in plain white, a previous year's model that was a small. I found Shoei small tends to fit me extremely well. Plain white, small, old stock...got if for half price.

About 5-6 years later another shop had a Shoei X-Eleven that had sat in a display case. It wasn't in a bright window, so I felt it was a pretty fair deal, once again, at 1/2 the normal price. Came with the box, helmet bag, manual, everything.

Been shopping around for a flip-front, feeling rather spoiled, it will be a couple years before I have much of a chance to find a Neotec for 1/2 price. May have to bite the bullet and just pay full price.
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #26
GreenSmitten
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): None yet (Ninja 300 someday)

Since funds are tight - this place has some screaming deals on Bells (and other brands) featuring last year's graphics....all new inventory, however:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/h...+closeout+sale

For other brands:
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...rcycle+helmets

I grabbed last year's Bell Vortex Grind/Silver for $99 for my MSF trainer/starter helmet....(yeah, the course supplies them, but I'm not wild about using someone else's sweaty helmet for eight hours)
GreenSmitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 04:55 AM   #27
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
WBW likes the CL16 a lot.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...rcycle-helmet/

However, the right helmet is the one the fits you best.

DOT, SNELL and ECE can be debated forever and probably will, but the bottom line is that a "better" rating does no good if the lid is a poor fit.

Helmets vary so widely in shape that blanket "oh, this one is MUCH better than that one" are pretty much useless. What's perfect for me may feel like a torture device to you.

Do some research on what proper helmet fit is like and choose first on that basis, then on any other factor you like.

Arai has good videos on the subject.

In summary:

- The helmet should be snug all over without pressure points/hot spots.
- Check fit with your eyes in the center of the eye port (i.e. helmet not rotated forward or back).
- The liner foam will compress over time so a BIT tight when new is not a bad thing.
- The cheek pads should press on your cheeks so that when you move the helmet your face moves.
- When checking fit make sure to fasten the strap properly. It may be too far forward or back for your liking.
- With the helmet on and fastened, move it around to see how it shifts. If you go down it's going to drag on the pavement and try to come off your head.
- If you wear glasses (or sunglasses) make sure you can put them on and have them sit properly.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 15th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #28
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Quote:

Of these I'd go with the Scorpion personally as I've enjoyed me EXO 1000, however, I'd still consider getting a nicer helmet. As mentioned before sportbiketrackgear.com has some nice deals on Scorpions.

Old July 15th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #29
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

I personally wear a Bell RS-1, and I love it. It fits great on me, and I don't think it is very loud at all. There isn't much for wind buffeting unless I am at freeway speeds.
And i love the magnetic clip instead of a button or whatever else other helmets have on them.

Another advantage to a Bell is the Photochromatic face shield that changes darkness with the UV rays hitting it (think transitions lenses on glasses).
I use that, and it saves me from having to change face shields from day to night.

Old July 15th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #30
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

I just bought a Scorpion Exo- 750, with the crazy 'Live Fast' scheme on it. It has quite a bit more comfort features than the $400, and they are closeout so a lot of places are selling them for around $120, if you can find one!
http://www.compacc.com/p/Scorpion-EXO-750-Solid-Helmets
Theres the solid colors

http://www.compacc.com/p/Scorpion-EX...ve-Fast-Helmet
Live fast!!!

http://www.compacc.com/p/Scorpion-EX...ernity-Helmets
If you weara large, theres the eternity!
dwright0723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #31
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

I have the Vortex. I like it a lot. Haven't had a desire to buy anything else...yet.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #32
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
My bell vortex is pretty large. It's also VERY loud in comparison to my RS-1. I probably won't buy another Bell, both of mine have had the magnetic piece on the chin strip rip open and fall out.
You too? Mine went on the Bell Revolver Evo. Bell sent me a new bit, but I haven't yet taken the time to heatshrink it into place.

I like my Bell but I would hesitate to buy the Vortex or Revolver (essentially the same) due to noise. RS-1 and up are much quieter, I read.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #33
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
You too? Mine went on the Bell Revolver Evo. Bell sent me a new bit, but I haven't yet taken the time to heatshrink it into place.

I like my Bell but I would hesitate to buy the Vortex or Revolver (essentially the same) due to noise. RS-1 and up are much quieter, I read.
Yep, used my Vortex the other day because I was washing the pads, and it was so freaking loud.

All I did was take some Gorilla Glue and glue the piece back in; placed one of my dumbbells on the tab to hold it in.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #34
Reflex88
ninjette.org newbie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

I just got the Scorpion Exo-500 and so far I'm liking it! Got it brand new on ebay for $126 shipped; a steal!
Reflex88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #35
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
WBW likes the CL16 a lot.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...rcycle-helmet/

However, the right helmet is the one the fits you best.

DOT, SNELL and ECE can be debated forever and probably will, but the bottom line is that a "better" rating does no good if the lid is a poor fit.

Helmets vary so widely in shape that blanket "oh, this one is MUCH better than that one" are pretty much useless. What's perfect for me may feel like a torture device to you.

Do some research on what proper helmet fit is like and choose first on that basis, then on any other factor you like.

Arai has good videos on the subject.

In summary:

- The helmet should be snug all over without pressure points/hot spots.
- Check fit with your eyes in the center of the eye port (i.e. helmet not rotated forward or back).
- The liner foam will compress over time so a BIT tight when new is not a bad thing.
- The cheek pads should press on your cheeks so that when you move the helmet your face moves.
- When checking fit make sure to fasten the strap properly. It may be too far forward or back for your liking.
- With the helmet on and fastened, move it around to see how it shifts. If you go down it's going to drag on the pavement and try to come off your head.
- If you wear glasses (or sunglasses) make sure you can put them on and have them sit properly.
As a newbie, I definitely can't stress it enough that you really should try them on first (less you already did and I overlooked your post). I was definitely set on the CL16 when I bought my bike but I ended up getting a Fly Trekker DS helmet which fit so much better (and looks ten times better ).

The CL16 felt really heavy on me for some reason and it honestly just felt way too big for my liking. I've always thought I had a round head and the CL16 seemed to be the shape for me but trying it on and trying the Trekker helmet proved that I was definitely right on not purchasing it online without checking in store for fitment.

While I did lose out on the Snell '10 that the CL16 provided, as said by my quoted post, it means nothing if fitment sucks. On the other hand, my DS helmet is ECE certified which is supposedly a good middle ground between Snell and DOT (oh boy...here comes the debates lol)
IF13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #36
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Go to a place that really knows how to fit helmets. If you let them know that you've never actually owned a helmet before, a well trained associate should measure your head size first before even showing you a helmet. From there, the conversation should move into head shapes. If the first thing they do is start talking about price and brands and just grab a "popular" helmet off the shelf or say "I have this one and I like it", take all their advice with a grain of salt.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 18th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #37
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoMinGu3z View Post
most exo 400's are only snell 2005 and were manufactured ages ago. you should consider the new scorpion exo r410. a big upgrade from the 400 at only about $60 more. its a whole lot of helmet for sub $200
I second this motion, also the new 410 has great quick disconnect shields which makes owning 2 shields for night and day quite possible and hassle free. The Cl 16 is great but it's quite lackluster when compared to the 410.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #38
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Well I tried on helmets awhile ago and big surprise...the Shoeis fit the best. So I am thinking of getting a Shoei Qwest or Icon Variant Etched. What do you guys think is better? I absolutely LOVE the look of the variant.

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #39
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Go to a place that really knows how to fit helmets. If you let them know that you've never actually owned a helmet before, a well trained associate should measure your head size first before even showing you a helmet. From there, the conversation should move into head shapes. If the first thing they do is start talking about price and brands and just grab a "popular" helmet off the shelf or say "I have this one and I like it", take all their advice with a grain of salt.
measure a head? for what. numbers dont mean anything if the helmet shape is off. its more the responsibility off the consumer to buy the right size than to completely trust what the associate is telling them. someone trying to fit a customer for a helmet can only do so much. would you go to the doctor and have him guess ur symptoms for a diagnosis? only reason why i ask is because i sell helmets and i dont kno how many times ive had new riders come in, get fitted for the optimal size, and then say that it was too tight. in the end the consumer does just what they shouldnt, buy the coolest helmet that they like....and why? because its their money and their head. only advice i would give anyone in the helmet market is to do a crapload of research before even putting a helmet on your head with the intent of buying.

and btw op. 3 out 4 of those helmets have nowhere near the same headshape so id recommend trying each and every one on........and the bilt is just crap. save ur money and ur head....plz
ADoMinGu3z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #40
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

go to a few different dealerships that sell helmets. Dont let them try to talk you into any bullshit. I remember trying to get my first helmet and i was looking at the shoei qwest...the guy kept telling me get the rf100..but it was out of my budget at the time, and i made that clear to him from the get go...he continued to try and get me to buy the rf100 (i DID buy an rf100 from revzilla down the road) and was just being a dick.

Don't tell them ****, dont even tell em you've never owned a helmet..if they ask what fits you just make somethin up if u want to be nice about it lol.I'm intermediate oval and i can fit anything from icons to shoeis to scorpions. Havent really tried any other brands.

also, this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-h...ide#helmet-fit

Should be able to figure it out in a matter of seconds. After that just do some research on the brands and there you go.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote