ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old June 10th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #1
ChickenRun
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r SE (without stupid tribal decals)

Body armor jackets

It is getting hot as balls here in Florida, and my leather jacket is not working well with my "Always wear your gear" attitude. So I've been looking for some other options but most of what I see is either too expensive or from a questionable name brand I've never heard about. Any suggestions?
ChickenRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #2
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Look up volocity gear.com the juggernot

Old June 10th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #3
ChickenRun
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r SE (without stupid tribal decals)

ooooooo that's perfect. Thanks
ChickenRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

The Icon Stryker Rig is held together with a mesh fabric, the Juggernaut is held together with a solid fabric. Something I noticed in the reviews when I was shopping for the same thing. I believe the Stryker will get a bit better airflow.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #5
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley813 View Post
The Icon Stryker Rig is held together with a mesh fabric, the Juggernaut is held together with a solid fabric. Something I noticed in the reviews when I was shopping for the same thing. I believe the Stryker will get a bit better airflow.
Mine is mesh and its worked as well as it can in 112* temp so far.

Old June 10th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Knox Cross Shirt, chest, shoulders, back & elbow armour all held together by mesh. Top notch armour company too.

http://store.planet-knox.com/knox/up...7/cross-shirt/
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #7
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Not sure I'd want to take a slide wearing one of those. They're designed for off road stuff, or to be worn under something. They're there for an impact, not an impact followed by a long slide on asphalt.

I'd personally say look into mesh jackets. I just got an AStars viper that I think is the best of both worlds, as long as you can accept textile. Mesh chest and back, solid arms, sides, and shoulders... still has all of the CE rated pads, once you upgrade the back pad. its raining here so I haven't worn it yet, but the reviews seem great, only time will tell.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #8
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
Not sure I'd want to take a slide wearing one of those. They're designed for off road stuff, or to be worn under something. They're there for an impact, not an impact followed by a long slide on asphalt.

I'd personally say look into mesh jackets. I just got an AStars viper that I think is the best of both worlds, as long as you can accept textile. Mesh chest and back, solid arms, sides, and shoulders... still has all of the CE rated pads, once you upgrade the back pad. its raining here so I haven't worn it yet, but the reviews seem great, only time will tell.
I think its odd you say this as i had a mesh jacket before this vest I crashed with it on and just going 30 it slid off all the fabric and all the armor looked just like the vest. I don't think that fabric covering the plastic is for any protection only looks.

Old June 10th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #9
rawbert625
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): the cool ones

get a nice mesh jacket, they let in tons of airflow and have abrasion resistance.
rawbert625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #10
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
I think its odd you say this as i had a mesh jacket before this vest I crashed with it on and just going 30 it slid off all the fabric and all the armor looked just like the vest. I don't think that fabric covering the plastic is for any protection only looks.
Not talking about a full mesh jacket, but a textile jacket with mesh panels in non impact zones.

Relying on mesh and webbing to hold pads in place in a slide seems silly, and is definitely not what an armored shirt is designed for.

Old June 10th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #11
fishdip

Quote:
Not talking about a full mesh jacket, but a textile jacket with mesh panels in non impact zones.

Relying on mesh and webbing to hold pads in place in a slide seems silly, and is definitely not what an armored shirt is designed for.
The guy that told me about it got in a nasty slide doing about 50 and he came out really well after talking to him about his crash and having my dad killed in a mc crash in front of me after he hit a fence post with his back I new this was the vest for me. Yes you be better off with this in side a leather 1pice suit but the fact is its about staying cool so u can focuses more on the road and not how hot you are.

Old June 11th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #12
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
The guy that told me about it got in a nasty slide doing about 50 and he came out really well after talking to him about his crash and having my dad killed in a mc crash in front of me after he hit a fence post with his back I new this was the vest for me. Yes you be better off with this in side a leather 1pice suit but the fact is its about staying cool so u can focuses more on the road and not how hot you are.
No need to get defensive. I'm sorry to hear about your father, and I'm sure it will protect to some extent in a slide. Hard parts always help. Hard sliders on my gloves saved me in a fall at about 35 mph wearing shorts and a t-shirt on a skateboard when I was younger.

I personally wouldn't trust an armored shirt that's designed to be worn off-road, or under something that's abrasion resistant, to hold armor in place after a slide. It's just not what this product is designed for. I'm not advocating the use of a one piece leather suit, I think the suggestions by others on this site are a little over the top. I personally think a textile jacket with mesh panels will do a much better job at holding pads in place in the event of a slide. There's a reason that 95% of the "mesh" jackets that are designed by manufacturers have solid textile fabric on the impact areas such as the shoulders, arms, and sides. We all need to make some comprimises when selecting a jacket. Obviously you have insane heat to deal with and made a decision that this will provide you with enough protection.

Old June 11th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #13
fishdip

Quote:
No need to get defensive. I'm sorry to hear about your father, and I'm sure it will protect to some extent in a slide. Hard parts always help. Hard sliders on my gloves saved me in a fall at about 35 mph wearing shorts and a t-shirt on a skateboard when I was younger.

I personally wouldn't trust an armored shirt that's designed to be worn off-road, or under something that's abrasion resistant, to hold armor in place after a slide. It's just not what this product is designed for. I'm not advocating the use of a one piece leather suit, I think the suggestions by others on this site are a little over the top. I personally think a textile jacket with mesh panels will do a much better job at holding pads in place in the event of a slide. There's a reason that 95% of the "mesh" jackets that are designed by manufacturers have solid textile fabric on the impact areas such as the shoulders, arms, and sides. We all need to make some comprimises when selecting a jacket. Obviously you have insane heat to deal with and made a decision that this will provide you with enough protection.
I will need to take some pics of it as its has like mesh/pading/other materal in the impact areas and looking at the dirt bike ones they are not built as good. Talking to the owner who makes the vest he told me he made it with duel sport in mind so going 100+ on the rode it may not hold up

Old June 11th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #14
Shawnster88
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

I got a Icon Anthem Mesh jacket on the way. Hopefully I'll see how it does in this Florida heat this weekend. Bad part is, it's not even July or August yet!!!
Shawnster88 is offline   Reply With Quote