Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
06 R6 - 161kg

08-12 250r -151kg

...according to wikipedia.
What part of took off the heavy street parts on his racebike did you miss?

Old March 28th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #42
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
06 R6 - 161kg

08-12 250r -151kg

...according to wikipedia.
Depends on who you ask. This source http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/30215/...ki-ninja-250r/

says that the dry weight of a newgen 250 is 374 lbs.

All I know is that the R6 feels really light in track trim.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2017, 04:07 PM   #43
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

What are the main heavy parts that have been replaced to make it a 'track' bike?

Yeah, different sources often have different power output and weight specs for reasons I do understand.

I'm assuming the list of 'track' related weight mods are...

fiberglass tail/nose fairings that don't have lights
no mirrors either
rearsets and various other small aftermarket (slightly lighter) components
no kickstand and other minor things of that nature

Am I missing anything major?

Thanks dude.

Old March 28th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #44
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
That's pretty much it, but there are one or two other things.

For example, I replaced the ignition switch with a key switch eliminator. Heavy chunk of metal, that.

My track bike also has a full titanium exhaust. The previous owner didn't skimp.

The whole front fairing/light thing is a lot of the weight savings.

I actually added the kickstand back in, because I'm really short and the R6 is really tall. No way for me to throw a leg over while also holding the bike up.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #45
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I believe the unit is referred to as a thermocouple, because the sensor actually measures the temperature of a tiny piece of elastic material inside the unit while it stretches when a load is lifted. It's amazing what you can find on ebay from overseas if you use the correct search terms but that is not my specialty
Are you sure about this? Only Thermocouples I know of are basically 2 wires and a little solder, which are used to measure voltage change with temperature change.

A strain gauge measures force between two items by measuring voltage change with deflection. Maybe you're thinking of that?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #46
corksil

^^^ yeah I may have used the wrong term.

Here we go... 130 bucks on amazon with free delivery and batteries included.

I should have titled the thread "easiest way to weigh motorcycle"

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 29th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #47
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
^^^ yeah I may have used the wrong term.

Here we go... 130 bucks on amazon with free delivery and batteries included.

I should have titled the thread "easiest way to weigh motorcycle"
Only usable when you have some place strong enough to hang that scale.. plus weight of bike.. and rope that is strong enough.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2017, 08:27 PM   #48
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
That's a nice scale. Rope good for 1,500 lbs or so is cheap. You do need something else like a block and tackle and a tree limb, or a 4x4 across a couple garage roof truss 2x4s though.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2017, 09:02 PM   #49
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

I believe you cannot weigh the front then the back and add them up, even on a level plain.

Both points need to be on one scale.

Look up advanced rigging formula's, there may be some help there.
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2017, 09:16 PM   #50
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
I believe you cannot weigh the front then the back and add them up, even on a level plain.
Of course you can. When the motorcycle is sitting on the garage floor, its weight is split between its two wheels in some way, assuming it's balanced on the two wheels only. If one wheel were sitting on a piece of the floor that were actually a scale, but disguised, it would read the weight on that wheel. If the other one were on a similar scale, either at the same time or not, it would read the weight on that wheel. If you add the two, you get the total motorcycle weight.

Obviously if something else is touching the floor, like a side stand, its force would also have to be measured and added to the total. You can check this by standing on two bathroom scales, one foot on each. The total will be the same, within scale accuracy, as putting both feet on one of them.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 29th, 2017, 11:15 PM   #51
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post

Both points need to be on one scale.

Look up advanced rigging formula's, there may be some help there.
I'm slightly skeptical as well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
You can check this by standing on two bathroom scales, one foot on each. The total will be the same, within scale accuracy, as putting both feet on one of them.
However, this is a very good test. The variable would be how an individual stands on the scales. Shifting weight from one foot to the other would obviously skew the data and measurement. I don't believe that anyone has perfect posture and stands with equal weight on both legs.

All of this is very interesting.

I think hernan nailed it with these pictures.

Thanks guys!

Old March 30th, 2017, 02:36 AM   #52
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

I stand corrected

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread....394197/page-4

Us Aussies rock
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2017, 06:19 AM   #53
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
However, this is a very good test. The variable would be how an individual stands on the scales. Shifting weight from one foot to the other would obviously skew the data and measurement. I don't believe that anyone has perfect posture and stands with equal weight on both legs.
You don't have to. You can lean to one side and put 150 lbs on one scale and 30 on the other. As long as you're standing still and get stable readings, the total of 180 will be correct, and can be verified by standing with both feet on either scale.

Of course bathroom scales can be off a couple pounds out of 150, so for the numbers to add up correctly, the scales must be correct, or at least be off the same amount.

Old March 30th, 2017, 10:02 AM   #54
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Did y'all ever settle out the fancy talk; if so what conclusion was settled on? Barney style please

Old March 30th, 2017, 11:06 AM   #55
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

You can weigh a motorcycle by weighing one wheel at a time, if you balance it upright (not on side stand). It will be a little more accurate if you use something to make the wheel that's not being weighed the same height above the floor as the scale surface.

If you have two scales, you can put one tire on each, balance the bike upright, and add the two weights. Heck, if you have three scales, you can put the front tire on one, the rear tire on another, and the side stand on the third one, and add all three. In the multiple scale cases, they don't even all have to be the same height, since the whole motorcycle is being weighed at once.

Old March 30th, 2017, 11:07 AM   #56
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Only usable when you have some place strong enough to hang that scale.. plus weight of bike.. and rope that is strong enough.
Quote:
That's a nice scale. Rope good for 1,500 lbs or so is cheap. You do need something else like a block and tackle and a tree limb, or a 4x4 across a couple garage roof truss 2x4s though.
He owns an excavator

Quote:
I could easily construct a sling to lift motorcycle with my excavator

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #57
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Excellent about the excavator. I was speaking generically for others who may be interested in using a scale like the one in the post above.

Old March 30th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #58
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
He owns an excavator
Still need strong enough ropes to secure the bike proper to lift..

Old March 30th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #59
corksil

I ordered a few pieces of nylon webbing for rigging the bike to a crane or other similar overhead lift point. I still cannot justify the cost of a scale because this is a personal project [expense] that won't generate any income.

I guess at this point... the question is.... How to hook up secure lift point near back tire of motorcycle. Obviously I could use a sling on the handle bars and that would work for the front.

It's a tricky question because all bikes are different. All bikes have some degree of frame through the rear tail section, but the configuration is different from one bike to the next.

Maybe I need a rectangular shipping pallet with lift points at all four corners so I could simply roll the bike[s] onto the shipping pallet and weigh them via crane scale, and then subtract the weight of the rigging/pallet for an accurate measurement.

The saga continues. Hopefully this is mildly entertaining to read because the whole project is starting to feel like a chore.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Old March 31st, 2017, 06:01 AM   #60
"A"
vampire

Quote:
I ordered a few pieces of nylon webbing for rigging the bike to a crane or other similar overhead lift point. I still cannot justify the cost of a scale because this is a personal project [expense] that won't generate any income.

I guess at this point... the question is.... How to hook up secure lift point near back tire of motorcycle. Obviously I could use a sling on the handle bars and that would work for the front.
Handlebars are not meant to support the weight of motorcycles.. they are meant for human strength to control the bike, shouldn't be used for other purpose such as lifting or securing the bike while in transport unless you want bent handlebars.

Better lift method would be looping a strap below the lower triple clamp or under the steering headtube of the frame to avoid handlebar completely.

For rear section of the bike, best to lift from rear axle or swing arm where by design are meant to support the weight of the bike + rider.

Quote:
Maybe I need a rectangular shipping pallet with lift points at all four corners so I could simply roll the bike[s] onto the shipping pallet and weigh them via crane scale, and then subtract the weight of the rigging/pallet for an accurate measurement.
Using a pallet would still require you to secure the bike onto the pallet to be lifted; tip-over while bike is lifted on pallet can do some damage, too.

Is it that difficult to find a weight station locally?

Old April 1st, 2017, 11:55 PM   #61
corksil

^^^ Good post.

Maybe I didn't use the right words when I was typing via on-screen keyboard and clicking on each individual letter to type.

The number displayed by the scale is 560. We can presume that's 560lbs. Scales of that nature are typically only accurate in 20lb increments. That means that the bike in the picture weighs somewhere between 551 and 569lbs.

The weight of the bike could vary between 550 and 570lbs which is not accurate enough to account for different wheel/tire combinations. If the bike weighed in at 571lbs, the scale would read 580. If the bike weighed in at 549lbs, the scale would read 540.

We all know that street tires vs dirt tires vs dual-sport tires massively affect the handling characteristics of a bike.

In simple terms, a scale of that type is not designed for the precision required to weigh motorcycle. It says on the sign..... "Vehicles over 5 tons." That's 10,000lbs.

This is no different than the proper use of a torque wrench. A typical torque wrench is only accurate between 20 and 80% of it's range.

If a torque wrench is advertised with a usable range of 1-100ft/lb, it is only guaranteed to be "accurate" [by the manufacturer] between 20 and 80ft/lb. If you use a torque wrench rated for 100ft/lb to torque a fastener to 95ft/lb, it will be out of the specified range and may sheer [break] or stretch the fastener. Same for using a torque wrench rated for 100ft/lb to torque a fastener to 5ft/lb. It may under or over torque the fastener between 1 and 20ft/lb while giving a false [inaccurate] reading.

That scale is not designed to weigh motorcycle and is not precise enough. Good enough for the govn't, sure. Good enough for me, nope.

Old April 2nd, 2017, 06:31 AM   #62
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
The number displayed by the scale is 560. We can presume that's 560lbs. Scales of that nature are typically only accurate in 20lb increments. That means that the bike in the picture weighs somewhere between 551 and 569lbs.
Someone in the scale calibration business would know, but they may be set up to truncate, not round. So 560 may mean 560 to 579, for example.

Old April 2nd, 2017, 06:45 AM   #63
"A"
vampire

Cool

Quote:
That scale is not designed to weigh motorcycle and is not precise enough. Good enough for the govn't, sure. Good enough for me, nope.
At least weight station scale gives you a good enough range than risking your bike getting damaged by trying to suspend it onto a hanging scale.

Personally, I rather enjoy riding a bike than risking damaging it to find out how much it weighs.

Old April 2nd, 2017, 06:52 AM   #64
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
@corksil have you been able to properly weigh your bike and get an accurate weight? Interested to see how much it weighs.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2017, 10:40 PM   #65
corksil

Quote:
Someone in the scale calibration business would know, but they may be set up to truncate, not round. So 560 may mean 560 to 579, for example.
This guy is top notch. He always seems to know what I'm talking about, and even know more about it than I do.

I thought I was the smartest guy on the planet. Now I'm not sure.

Quote:
At least weight station scale gives you a good enough range than risking your bike getting damaged by trying to suspend it onto a hanging scale.
Yeah damaging the bike is not my plan. It did not occur to me that a bike isn't designed to be lifted by the handlebars. Yet, it's very clear now that I think about it.

Back to the hanging pallet idea.

@Snake -- no, I still haven't weighed bike. In my particular county, vehicle registration cost is calculated by weight. Makes sense, as heavier vehicles would theoretically do more damage to the roads, thus having higher tax rates to generate income for the repair of roads.

It would be nice to know the weight of my bike[s]. There are more than a few. Most rarely ridden. Yet with yearly fees attributable to their weight. If one or ten of the bikes are grossly mis-labelled in terms of weight, it would behoove me to have them re-weighed to lower the cost of the annual fee for having a license plate.

^^^ Did you see wut I did there? I usered the word "grossly" in a double meaning.

Spoiler for Wizardry and deductive reasoning!:
I suspect that some of the plated bikes are being overcharged for yearly registration costs due to them being initially weighed when the title was issued WITH the rider weight included. Gross weight vs tare weight.

Quote:
The gross weight of a shipping container, a trailer or a package is the weight of the cargo plus the weight of the container, trailer, shipment or packaging. The gross weight equals the net weight plus the tare weight.
^^^From google

Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:49 AM   #66
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I suppose one could prove rounding or truncation with a 35 lb weight.