ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 19th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1
JohnnyA
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

2009 Cafe Racer Project

Hey everyone,

I just joined this site, mostly looking for insight as how to approach my project. So far I just ripped off all the plastics, passenger foot pegs, cut the tail off, and diced up the plastic around the gauges to keep them on for now. I've seen some amazing cafe racers on here, and I definitely plan on cutting the tail of the frame and welding it back on to create the proper look.
I'm definitely a newcomer to DIY. I know I need to re-jet and shim needles once I remove the air box, and I'll need to learn more about the jetting process.
I guess I'm starting this thread to get any and all feedback and suggestions about this project.

If anyone wants to buy all the stuff I've taken off, you can message me here (I think) or check out my Craigslist post. http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/3947783282.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (161.9 KB, 25 views)

Last futzed with by JohnnyA; July 20th, 2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Adding removed parts for sale
JohnnyA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #2
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

@Racer x has a sweet look.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:22 PM   #3
JohnnyA
ninjette.org member

update

So I joined the two H7 headlight cables and added a 7 inch H4 headlight (7 3/4 would be best, but I don't know if they exist so I used rubber washers for spacers). The light, universal mounts and a bar end mirror were from motochopshop on eBay. He's great, he texted me with extra photos and that really sealed the deal.

Woodcraft Clip-ons from Revzilla (no riser!) Royal pain in the ass.
2240:60 Drag Specialties Speedo from Dennis Kirk

Next, I'm thinking about chopping up the front fender and see what I can do with it.
I bought some exhaust wrap once I decide what route to go with- a thin exhaust can, or larger straight pipe with baffle inside. I need to find a long hanger to reduce the angle of it for sure. Any suggestions on the exhaust would be appreciated.

Ultimately, that tail needs to be chopped off and welded back on flat, but lots to do before that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leftsideHT.jpg (141.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg RightFrontHT.jpg (128.3 KB, 25 views)

Old August 7th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #4
JohnnyA
ninjette.org member

Riding Position

I know this looks kinda silly. But I did this as a reference. With some clip-ons and rear sets (a few days from now), a 250 can be 'comfortable' for a big dude.
I'm 6' 230lbs.
I can't wait for the rear sets. My knees will sit lower on the tank and actually be able to use it properly for stability.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3-3.jpg (146.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2-4.jpg (162.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1-5.jpg (153.9 KB, 12 views)

Old August 16th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #5
JohnnyA
ninjette.org member

Dan Moto Exhaust

Just put this on. The bracket is crap, but I'll figure that out later. Maybe when I get the tail cut and welded.

http://youtu.be/MF8PJuiZy9o

Old August 27th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #6
JohnnyA
ninjette.org member

K&N Pod Filters

http://youtu.be/S7qrLrXUfzk

I got these filters a few days ago, but I was at Fort Drum sleeping in the woods for a week, so here it is.
Some folks said that they had problems with installing the rubber singles and the double filter. With the chrome model, I had no issues and they slipped right on. I'm probably going to have an issue with the rain covers, though, as the filters are pretty snug next to eachother.
Anyways, after I filmed this, I put the crank case breather on the correct location. I'll post a photo tomorrow.
I ordered the stage 3 jet kit by Factory Pro. I think I'll be removing the Kleen air system before re-jetting and see what kind of results I get.
After all that, I'll be getting rid of all of the idiot light sensors and display wiring. So back to the wiring diagram I will go.

Old August 27th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #8
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Looks great so far.

Old August 30th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #9
JohnnyA
ninjette.org member

Minor update

Thanks BRad. It's moving slowly as I don't have a garage to work in

I got the small little extension from Danmoto, so I threw that on. It's not perfect, but it'll do for now to keep the exhaust at an angle I like. I took some photos of my pods and installed the engine block off plate. That was a bit of a hassle. I don't like to take the tank off because I do all of the work on my gravel driveway. My hands are just small enough to fit under the tank. Anyways, the holes didn't line up perfectly. I tried both plates. So I finagled the bolts a little to get them started. Kept the plate butted up against the head of the bolts, and alternated each side, cranking each one a little bit, and going back and fourth to make sure the plate sits flush. Well, I hope it's flush, it looks good but who knows.
I also saw a guy put tape over his pods until he got his jet kit, so I did that. It actually works, but looks ridiculous. I plan on bringing the bike to a shop for the jet kit install and they can disconnect any unnecessary wires and hoses while they're at it. I'm not using any indicator lights. Just headlamp and speedo illumination. If you guys have any experience doing this, please let me know. All the wires in there look atrocious.
Oh, all the filters are K&N. I think I have the models posted already. But I got a little pvc elbow pack from Advance Auto and used one to replace the loopy crank case hose. I was going to wrap the exhaust but its hot as hell outside right now, and I may cut off the portion that angles up soon. We'll see.

I took some photos, but they won't upload- Missing security token. So I'll upload them tomorrow.

Old August 30th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #10
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Try attaching them in smaller groups. I have that issue sometimes, and if I back off to 2-at-a-time, it will work.

Old April 15th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #11
JohnnyA
ninjette.org member

Almost done

Hey guys,
It's been a while since I've updated but here's a short video of some rev's and a few photos.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (145.2 KB, 16 views)

Last futzed with by JohnnyA; April 15th, 2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Missed photos

Old April 15th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #12
JohnnyA
ninjette.org member

Another photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (163.5 KB, 5 views)

Last futzed with by JohnnyA; April 15th, 2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Photo uploaded upside down

Old April 15th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #13
JohnnyA
ninjette.org member

The photos keep getting jacked up, sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (162.8 KB, 4 views)