Old September 25th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I just discovered Gin

How oh how did I live withou thee?

lol

I got a bottle from a friend for graduation. I never tried it before. I have been a vodka guy for ages.

Now I think I like gin.

Another bottle to keep around for special occasions.

That is four drinks I really like now:
Vodka and Tonic
Gin and Tonic
Guinness
Mike's Hard Lemonade

Anything else I should try?

I am not a big tequila guy (at least cheap stuff), and I hate crown and jack.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #2
zach
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 650R, 2009 250R

Yeah, you should try drinking real beer like a real man haha. I drank hard lemonade too though, when I was 16 haha. Try some pale ales. Rogue's "Dead guy" or the Sweetwater's 420, or if you really want to get drunk, try a Dogfish head 120 minute. It's a sweeter beer, but it will **** you up.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yup, the drink I prefer most of the time is gin and tonic. Much tastier to me than vodka tonics, but those will work in a pinch.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Try some GOOD Scotch. Spend the money... it's worth it.

Best served neat (straight, no ice) and savored very slowly. On the rocks is okay, and if you want something lighter try club soda.

Absolute minimum.... Johnnie Walker Black. There are many better choices. Avoid cheap blended Scotches like Cutty, J&B, etc.

When it comes to hard liquor, quality is very important. You really do get what you pay for.

Buy quality, and drink it sparingly. You wind up spending the same amount of money, you stay soberer...er.. and therefore healthier and safer.

Hard lemonade? Blecccchhh!
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Well my view of alcohol is different than others. I'm more for taste now than anything. I absolutely hate light beer. The only one I will touch willingly is corona (go figure), must be the lime added to it. Budlight with lime has too much lime taste.

I'm a dark beer guy. Guinness is my choice. I drink it at room temperature or cold, either way I love it. I've tried several light beers, pale ale's, etc, none have done it for me.

For some reason I like mike's hard lemonade. It is light. I'm not out to get drunk, I'm enjoying a drink. So strength isn't a big deal.

I had a good scotch ONCE and I don't even know what kind it was. I have some Famous Grouse and it really doesn't cut it with me. My grandfather would love to take the bottle off my hands. I may let him. My father-in-law has some JWBlack in his stash, I may have to give it a try.

I have some Skyy 90 in my freezer, it is pretty good. I'll still shoot vodka, but nothing else. My gin is New Amsterdam (which will be kept in stock from now on).

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #6
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I used to like to sip a Jameson or Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey with a pint of ale. That was before I caught e coli and had large amounts of my "plumbing" removed. Now my Dr. says that even small amounts of alcohol could kill me. Go figure!

Old September 25th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I like Glenlivet neet and Remy Martin Cognac neet on special ocassions. Most of the time I drink a good Cabarnet.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #8
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

I'll just stick to beer. Delicious delicious beer...mmmmmmm....

Old September 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #9
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

I don't really have a preferrence, but try to stay away from vodka and other drinks that don't leave a smell on my breath. That way people know I'm drunk,not stupid.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #10
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
The next step is RUM everyone loves a rummy
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #11
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt250 View Post
I'll just stick to beer. Delicious delicious beer...mmmmmmm....
I'm right there with you. Beer 100%
Liquor gives me heartburn the next day, plus I haven't found any that I actually like much (vodka is ok, cant stand rum, and other I have tried are just eh).

Old September 26th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #12
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

I cannot stand the taste of beer or wine, and I drink rarely and sparingly ...
But when i do drink, it's Glenmorangie Single Highland Malt Whisky (10 Years Old) from Glenmorangie Distillery in Scotland
Nothing else like it in all the world!

Old September 26th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #13
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Try the Scotch but a single malt. The Glenlivet is good and not too expensive. I stayed away from Scotch, in part because of the cost.

Then one birthday I got a bottle of one of the more popular single malts there is. Try it straight with just a little water to open up the aromas.

Good luck
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #14
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

You must try good expensive Puerto Rican rum, I forget the brand I liked best, but it has a bat as the company logo (looks like IPF lighting's logo), more expensive than Captain Morgan's, better quality too. Mixes well with fruit based drinks too. Spice rum with hot apple cider, or hot spiced cider with rum is also very tasty. Something about the combination of tart acid taste with the sweet rum taste that appeals to me, though I do like rum straight. That said I haven't had anything with alcohol in many years, I only drink when I'm happy and things have just not been that way for far too long.

I guess like all things, you get what you pay for, so buy the good stuff.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #15
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Random trivia for you Gin and Tonic drinkers... did you know that it was developed as a preventative for malaria? Quinine, what gives the tonic water the bitter taste, is used as a malaria preventative. When the British were settling in India, they noticed that the natives were not affected by malaria, and soon discovered that the reason was that they chewed on a tree bark. They tried this tree bark but it was very bitter. They then tried soaking it in water but still found it unpalatable, and thus added some Gin to it. And there we had the birth of the Gin and tonic.

As for me, I very rarely will drink, but when I do, I still prefer some tequila, complete with the lime and salt. Of course, I'm perfectly happy with just the lime and salt too...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #16
emilyLOVESlime
ninjette.org member

Name: Emily!

Motorcycle(s): Black '05 Ninja 250R

I will also just eat the limes as well

In all seriousness, my favorite drinks are cranberry vodkas with a wedge of lime, or a good belgian beer like Tripel Karmaliet or Nocturium Tremens (spelling, sorry!). I am also partial to IPAs...Dogfish Head is A+
emilyLOVESlime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #17
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Gin and tonic is nasty haha. I'm also not a fan of vodka (bad incidents during my University days) or rum (...cuba. Do I need to say more?). But a good, solid Martini made with Gin...YUM!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #18
250rinblack
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): White 2011 Aprilia RSV4R

Hmmm, my dad always called gin "Widows ruin", not really sure why but I think it came from the belief that it doesn't leave the smell of alcohol on your breath and lonely English widows would drink it without having the stigma of being alcoholism put on them.

Me? I like beer (James Boags, Cascade,St George or XXXX) or a good Australian red wine; Cabernet Sauvignon or a Shiraz from either the Margaret River area in Western Australia or the Barossa Valley in S. Australia.

In the UK a few years ago I tried a local dark beer in Yorkshire called Black Sheep, a pint of that and I was flat on my ar*e....Black Death might have been a better name!

Old September 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #19
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I quite like a quality ale or lager, as opposed to the mass-production stuff you get from the big commercial breweries.

Occasionally I can be convinced to drink wine, but can't stand most hard liquor.

Old September 26th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #20
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

O.E. 800 cuz dat's my brand...Take it in a bottle, 40, quart, or can..Drink it like a MADMAN, yes I do!!! F*CK the police and dah five-o too...
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #21
shadow
chicken strips

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 Ninja 250R

So...yesterday morning, I discovered a Little Green Fairy. Shes amazing. Her name is Absynthe, and we had a VERY enjoyable night together, her and I. She swept me up and carried me off to oblivion in no time, and let me sleep in a LONG time yesterday :-P
Been a Vodka enthusiast for a while now...what you pay for IS what you get. (Stoli Elit or Grey Goose is DEFINATELY better than Zhenka. BUT - Reyka, icelandic 7xdistilled, is only $20 for a 750 and can EASILY go toe-to-toe with Grey Goose. Invisible when mixed, as well...;-)
Being of the 20-25 age bracket, beer is a large commodity. Once again, I can't stand anything mass produced. Expensive/quality lager and ale is the Best. Guinness Stout and Heineken will keep me occupied for quite a while...whether i'm aiming for drunk or just enjoying.
Never tried scotch, or brandy. Gin and Tonic is..eh..ok...and I can't stand whiskey at ALL. Or Rum. Rum enacts the law of Gravity...but the other direction...>.<
Can't vouch for wine either...white gives me an E.R. grade migraine, and last time I had 3 sips of merlot my throat closed and I felt my pulse from my subclavian through my common cartoid and damn well into the circle of willis, amidst a similar pounding headache. Nitrate Allergies, me thinks....
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #22
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
You must try good expensive Puerto Rican rum, I forget the brand I liked best, but it has a bat as the company logo
I guess like all things, you get what you pay for, so buy the good stuff.
Are you talking about Barcardi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
or rum (...cuba. Do I need to say more?).
huh ?

Alcohol has been a really good teacher in my time. But the problem that I have is that every time that I have been an eager student, the teacher punishes you by increasing the gravity. And there have times when I was an A+ student.

Since I, in the past and hopefully again in the future, have brewed my own beer, I can no longer drink any BMC (Busch, Miller, Coors) or and any of the other mass produced beers. (If I go to a place and that is all they have, I will either leave or drink water) Yes it is more expensive to enjoy a micro brew, the flavor, the aroma, mmmmm, is so much more deeper, more intense than the walmarts of the brewing industry can produce. That is one of the reasons that I pretty much limit myself to how much I drink, that and I am a cheap drunk. Since I have survived many weekend cram sessions with the teacher, I have also learned that alcohol is not just an intoxicant, it is a beverage that is enjoyed amongst good friends, with good food and pleasant conversation or at the beach, admiring the beauty of the sun as she paints the skies brillant hues of color while she settles in the west to spread her warmth and rays to the other parts of our planet.

nb

ALSO, since no one has mentioned it and, hopefully, because everyone here is smart enough to remember this. I hope that none of the forum members are enjoying cold adult frosty beverages and then getting on our trusty steeds of steel and passion and rev'ing those cylinders of ecstasy. Please don't drink and ride or drive.

Old September 28th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #23
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I like tequila but it does not like me so I only drink it on special occasions. As far as beer I like to drink Teqate.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #24
sugarbear
ninjette.org member

Name: Carol

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2004 BMW 1150RT

Ok, I will admit to liking some wine on occasion. Not much of a fan of beer or the hard stuff
And keeping with the proper format: I do not drink alcoholic beverages while riding! Riding is a BIG enough thrill for me!
Ride safe!
Carol
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #25
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
huh ?
Oh I took a vacation there once....and that's pretty much all they drink there. Good times, but I can't smell rum and not gag anymore.

Old September 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #26
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Yes, that's it! Bacardi their top shelf stuff, not the cheaper mass-drunkfest stuff.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #27
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Oh I took a vacation there once....and that's pretty much all they drink there. Good times, but I can't smell rum and not gag anymore.
aahhh, rum stories, them be as good as tequila stories they are.

aarrrggg

Old September 28th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #28
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

I def agree with Alex Gin and tonic or dirty martinis. If it is too much try a gin and 7 up (aka gin and tonic but with some sweet stuff). I am also a good beer fan....who am I kidding i love alcohol.

Back to gin... the best way to describe it is "liquid Christmas" I hope that helps any one on the fence
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #29
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
aahhh, rum stories, them be as good as tequila stories they are.

aarrrggg
Hahaha yea they sure are....now if I could only remember them. All I have are a string of random pictures with strangers and a soiled wrist band....

Old September 29th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #30
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Grayhounds all the way!! Vodka and Grapefruit ( real grapefruit juice, not the Dole stuff) Yum yum.