ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old March 16th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Found my next project

Ok, so bicycles are my drug it seems. I have the full suspension Gary Fisher which has yet to see a true trail. I can't wait to ride it. The hardtail mountain bike will most likely go for sale in a month or two (if I like the GF as much as I think I will). So that will be maybe $500 to put towards a project.

What project? Where would I begin? Well I have a taste for old bikes. Ok, at least old designs. I like simplicity, flawless operation, and good looks. In the world of carbon fiber, I'm seeking chromolly. In a world that has seats designed with carbon or titanium rails and ultra-thin plastics or carbon fiber sitting areas, I'm looking towards an insanely heavy leather saddle.

This is my next project:

I plan on installing some Rivendell Silver downtube shifters (old design, but still robust), Shimano Deore components, and just build it from the ground up. Panniers, fenders, racks, you name it...all out touring machine. Of course the main portion of the build will be the bike itself, the accessories coming later.

Oh and lets not forget the insanely heavy saddle:
Brook's Flyer

or the Brooks B17

Amazing how I've been sucked into the self powered form of two wheeled riding.

My wife said I could build a bike once we sell our house and find a new house. So I'm planning already. I want to do a ride from Houston, up to Ennis, down to Austin and back home again. Should be right around 600 miles. This bike would be the workhorse for the trip. First day would be the longest in that I'd need to ride 100 miles in the first day on pretty flat terrain (but with a bike that would weigh in fully loaded at more around 75-100lbs).

Call me crazy....you won't be the first who did!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #2
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

I wish I had a 10th the drive you do to ride a bicycle. When I pass by a bicycle that is going up the mountain on the Parkway I always say under my breath "good on you man" then I blow by at 60+.

best of luck on selling your house so you can pedal your dream bike
Posted via Mobile Device
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #3
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

Personally, I just get one frame and be done.. titanium never rust, no need for extra weight of paint, no worry for paint chips, rides just as a steel frame at 1/3 the weight and likely to last longer than you can ride it.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #4
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

whats a buy-sigh-kul?

i met a banker that was into collecting old schwinss
i didnt what the hell it was at first but he kept talking about it, even said beach combers
and i was like nodding, but inside i was thinking "WTF?"
i googled it when i got home

my brother is getting into mountain biking, i just picked him up a helmet today (deviant 2)
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #5
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Honestly I don't blame you. Do whatever you want. You don't have to make anyone happy but yourself. Since I got my road bike, I've been toying with some ideas for my Agusta Ninja. Basically a sturmey archer b2c (2 speed kick shift hub with coaster brake), straight bars, comfy saddle and a rack. My friends think it's nuts but whatever.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #6
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Subscribed!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #7
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Subscribed!
Don't jump the gun too fast there! Still have over a month (at the earliest) until this house goes up for sale.

Not to mention I have tons to stuff to do in the meantime. Patch nail holes in the wall, replace a switch assembly for my living room fan and lights (dimmers and CFL's don't get along), paint the interior (everything but the ceilings), patch up around the windows (since our windows got replaced, had some drywall damage, to be expected), pack up more stuff, etc.

Oh and for today, I get to run by the bank, to the bike store to get my Trek 1.5 inspected for the MS150 ride next month, AND go by Best Buy to get a new wireless router because mine bit the dust the other day. YAY. I can't complain, this one lasted me over 5 years. hahaha

A LONG list to go before I can even get the bike. But for you cycling heads, I will do a full build thread as I piece it together.

Old March 17th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #8
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
A LONG list to go before I can even get the bike. But for you cycling heads, I will do a full build thread as I piece it together.
Ok...I'll subscribe to that thread too!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #9
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Big question though, 26" wheels or 700c? The Surly LHT is available in two configurations, so I have to decide which one. I know there would be plenty of rides without luggage, so 700 sounds more practical, but I can find 26" tubes/tires at Target, Walmart, etc. Hmmm...700c's look better on the bike, but the 26's have more tire, cushion and are more readily available.

Every road bike I own has 700c tires and have done rather well. No international rides for me unless my wife gets an assignment over in the UK, which I may live in London or Ireland if that is the case (that would be awesome!). May possibly ride in Canada, since she sometimes has assignments there, so renting a bike would be easy, or just driving up there with my "tourer" on the roof.

Opinions?

Old March 18th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #10
Indy250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 KTM 990 ADV

Cool project.

I built a Karate Monkey a few years ago, though I considered the LHT. The Brooks saddle is a joy to ride.

I went with custom 700c wheels so I could have a disk brake up front and a Nexus 8 speed rear. At the time you couldn't buy 700c wheels with disk brakes (I still don't know if you can).

Anyway here's the only pic I can find right now while I'm at work. I can find better this weekend if you're interested.

Indy250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #11
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Surly makes nice frames, but pricey. I bought a Nashbar Cross frame (Aluminum) with a Chromemolly fork. It came in a beautiful metallic green. There were no decals on the frame. It is a sweet riding bike. Certainly, it won't carry as much weight as the Surly LHT, but the price is only $100. My bike also has an Axiom luggage rack and Nashbar panniers. The drivetrain is Suntour. It's a great bike for running errands.