ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 25th, 2019, 06:09 PM   #1
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Cluster Problems Solved

A while ago I posted that I was having problems with an intermittently working cluster, the tach, the speedo, and the fuel gauge all worked intermittently on a 2010 Ninja 250, with over 20k miles on it.

This is odd because the Tach and Fuel gauge are electrical, but the Speedo is completely mechanical, and can function without the bike running even.

After testing with a multimeter, checking all connections were solid, and even replacing the fuel level sensor, the front wheel seedo sensor, and the speedo cable, it still didn't work.

I bought a used cluster that was supposedly working, with about 27k miles on it locally.

All of the component at this point, the harness, the cluster, the speedo sensor, the speedo cable, the fuel level sensor, all had been replaced at that point with no change.

Having two clusters, I disassembled the cluster that came with the bike for further inspection into the problem. What I found was that the needles themselves were sticking to the stops on the gauges, and that if you tapped the gauges sometimes they'd come unstuck. I tore apart the cluster I'd bought and found the same exact problem. After unsticking the needles and lubing all mechanical components in the speedo, I reinstalled and now everything works perfectly fine with no problems whatsoever.

TL;DR, 2008-12 Ninja 250 clusters with 20k miles are apparently prone to the needles sticking to the stops if left outside in the sun for long periods of time during their lifetime.

I've added a photo showing the marks on the needles where the stops had melted an indentation and paint from the stops was left on the needles.

NinjaBraap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2019, 08:03 PM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
What did you use to lube the gauges?
I've heard some old timers use synthetic sperm whale oil (no joke).
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2019, 08:21 PM   #3
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Lol does it come from Synthetic Whales?

I actually googled it, it comes from the Jojoba plant, which apparently is almost identical in chemical structure to Sperm Whale Oil.

No, I'm not that fancy, and it's just a Ninja 250. Not a fancy vintage or antique restoration.

I just cleaned it up with WD-40 and put some generic grease on the gears.
NinjaBraap is offline   Reply With Quote