ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Forum Information

Old July 14th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #1
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Question Weird redirect effect entering the site

Does anybody else have the glitch where you come to the front page of this site intending to navigate to the forums then find yourself back on the page you were at before you came here?
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #2
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

No. But it could be because you have your hand on my beer.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 14th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #3
Ninjinsky

Surely you don't think I would drink and surf? I'm a responsible person!
(I know that because people are always saying to me "You are the person responsible for this! ")

Old July 14th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #4
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Just because they are less responsible as you doesn't mean you are responsible
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's the "if user=ninjinsky then bounce him to random page" feature that all responsible forums should implement.

(beats me - what URL are you first landing on, and where is it then taking you? The only auto-bounce is from the splash page to the portal page.)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to forum info

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 14th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Ninjinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It's the "if user=ninjinsky then bounce him to random page" feature that all responsible forums should implement.
(beats me - what URL are you first landing on, and where is it then taking you? The only auto-bounce is from the splash page to the portal page.)
Thanks for the confirmation
I think it is something I am doing as a reflex rather than the software, probably relating to the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" entry system requiring cyptic clicking on the little picture to get in to the normal site.
Lack of others agreeing suggests early onset Parkinsons, I'll just go and get my keys out of the oven.

Old August 14th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #8
Ninjinsky

Okay Problem solved
What happens is that the site opens with a pic from the gallery. If it is of an interesting bike (or one of those interesting bipeds ) I am still looking at it when it times out to the main menu page.
Natch reflex is to click the "back" button but that doesn't take you to the pic you were looking at, it takes you to the previous website

Old August 14th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Interesting. It appears the browsers behave differently. In Chrome and IE, if you wait for the splash page to time out (10 seconds), it takes you to the portal page. You click back, and it does in fact take you back to the splash page, for another 10 seconds, with the same picture. But - in Firefox, it takes you back to the page you were on prior to the splash page. Weird. This is seen in Firefox 31.0, the current version. I see that you're using version 19.0, so while it won't fix this issue, it's still a good idea for you to update as soon as you can for a million other reasons. (just pull down the help menu to "about firefox" and it should try and auto-update).

Old August 14th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Ninjinsky

Quote:
Interesting. It appears the browsers behave differently. In Chrome and IE, if you wait for the splash page to time out (10 seconds), it takes you to the portal page. You click back, and it does in fact take you back to the splash page, for another 10 seconds, with the same picture. But - in Firefox, it takes you back to the page you were on prior to the splash page. Weird. This is seen in Firefox 31.0, the current version. I see that you're using version 19.0, so while it won't fix this issue, it's still a good idea for you to update as soon as you can for a million other reasons. (just pull down the help menu to "about firefox" and it should try and auto-update).
Thanks for confirming that Alex.
I do indeed use firefox 19 Basically because it was about the last version where you could start private browsing mode with one click from the tools menu.

Old August 14th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
if i remember correctly only user actions qualify for history slots in ff. it was to fix the weird **** in complex sites like gmail.

Old August 14th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
Thanks for confirming that Alex.
I do indeed use firefox 19 Basically because it was about the last version where you could start private browsing mode with one click from the tools menu.
It's still one click in 31.0. Either from the File Menu, or the Tools menu on the right.

Time to update.

Old August 17th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #13
Ninjinsky

I don't trust this arcane stuff with a "private window" I just want the simple on/ off switch and
I'm back to 19 where your whole session is private and stays that way till you turn it off.

Here's why I have no faith that any organisation that continues to operate has not been compromised
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-snowden-email

Last futzed with by Ninjinsky; August 17th, 2014 at 09:19 AM.

Old August 17th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Your goals may have merit, but your methods are unsuccessful. If you're using an older browser version, it has so many unpatched security vulnerabilities that your privacy and security is much, much more at risk on each site you visit.

Old August 17th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

There's also a setting that you can choose, so every window starts in private browsing mode by default. Go into tools, privacy, then in History, pull down to "use custom settings for history". You'll see a checkbox for "Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session". Enable it, then restart firefox, and I think you'll have what you want. I'll stop bugging you after this post, it's certainly your prerogative to use whatever you want; it's just that you're hung up on something that doesn't seem either accurate or helpful to what you're trying to get at.

link with detailed steps of the process described in this post:

http://www.guidingtech.com/2046/priv...wsing-firefox/

Old August 17th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #16
Ninjinsky

Thanks for your help Alex Its appreciated despite my apparent luddite tendency.
I'm a bit big brother paranoid at present because the government here (UK) is setting up a nationwide surveillance network. A national license plate tracking system for vehicle movements using ANPR cameras and a central database.
The US may be next
Pretty creepy and Orwellian
Details here
http://www.bigbrotheriswatching.co.uk/

Old August 17th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Government overreach is certainly a concern, but more pressing on this side of the pond is that technology is moving much faster than any legislative or justice system could hope to keep up with. Right now, those license plate scanning machines are being used all over the US by repo companies. Those private databases have zero restrictions on who can keep what for how long, and decide to sell what to who for how much. The tech is cheap enough, and storage is cheap enough, that it's proliferating at an alarming rate.

I wouldn't be more fond of the police or related government going down that path that the UK is taking, but the one (small) bright spot in that case is you have one organization to sue, protest, challenge, etc. to get the behavior curtailed. With any number of private organizations setting themselves up as data brokers, it's an even harder challenge to try and address.

Old August 17th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #18
Yarhj
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (2001)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky
For what it's worth, in Windows 7 (and probably Vista, not sure about 8) if you pin Chrome to the taskbar you can right click on the icon and choose to launch either a new regular or incognito (private browsing) window. Firefox might have similar functionality!

Also, OT, but... Does no one else see the private browsing icon in Firefox as a big moustache?

Quote:
It's still one click in 31.0. Either from the File Menu, or the Tools menu on the right.

Time to update.
Yarhj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #19
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

@Ninjinsky

Private setting doesn't prevent government from tracking your browsing and other online activities. So please dont do anything of any significance online expecting that to even provide any semblance of anonymity.

The US has been tracking vehicles using license plate scanning cameras for years and years now.

We have cameras at just about every major intersection in the US.

Stop light cameras, traffic cameras... facial recognition cameras in most major airports and border crossings.

The technology is developed to a point at which all they need to do is find a way to effectively coordinate their resources. If they can accomplish that then there will be now challenging the control over the populations.

Much of this control is creating a culture that is easy to control.

Either way browse responsibly.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #20
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

@Ninjinsky

Private setting doesn't prevent government from tracking your browsing and other online activities. So please dont do anything of any significance online expecting that to even provide any semblance of anonymity.

The US has been tracking vehicles using license plate scanning cameras for years and years now.

Stop light cameras, traffic cameras... facial recognition cameras in most major airports and border crossings.

The technology is developed to a point at which all they need to do is find a way to effectively coordinate their resources. If they can accomplish that then there will be now challenging the control over the populations.

Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #21
Ninjinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
@Ninjinsky

Yep I am responsible don't worry its just that I discovered that when you 'clear' your history it doesn't clear the SQlite ? database and that all my site visits for several years back along with frecency scores and such. were still sitting there when I thought they were clear to hand the machine down through the family.
It even keeps them if you remove the firefox program and reinstall it.
I couldn't remove the health concern info,(all OK now btw no worries ) surgery site visits and such that I wouldn't want them (or their geeky boyfriends) to find.

Another interesting program to run, especially on a secondhand computer, is Piriform Recuva in deep scan mode.
https://www.piriform.com/recuva

It takes half an hour or so but I've known it pull up whole photo albums and document folders on supposedly cleaned s/h machines.
Worth running on your own machine just for the heck of it, you will be surprised what it finds.

Last futzed with by Ninjinsky; August 18th, 2014 at 01:32 AM.

Old August 17th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Most file deletions aren't actually deleting the data on the disk; it just deletes the pointer that lets the file system know that data is there. The recovery tools work by attempting to recreate that pointer information for the still existing data (if it hasn't been overwritten yet). RWipe is a decent tool with a free trial period if you do need to clean a computer and don't want to take a sledgehammer to the hard drive.

http://www.r-wipe.com/

Old August 20th, 2014, 07:43 AM   #23
Ninjinsky

Hey Alex you fixed the firefox glitch!

Well done that man

Old August 21st, 2014, 04:06 PM   #24
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Nah, the FF glitch is still there. If you are on the splash page and you click the pic to get to the portal page, hitting back will take you back to the splash page with the same pic (yay). But if you just sit on the splash page and wait for it to time out, then let it take you to the portal page automatically, if you hit back it will take out to the page you were on prior to the splash page. It's a quirk in that browser, and how it deals with the redirect tags.