ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 29th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #1
thumper64
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Swapped New gen forks onto pregen, kept old gen ignition switch.

Well, I just completed this. I did a search before doing it and I just didn't find squat.

Anyway, I put new stem bearings in. I chose the All Balls needle bearings because my old front end made the bike scary to ride over 50mph. Pre gen and new gen are the same part number. When installing, the larger race has to go on the bottom with the flatter grease seal, and the narrower race going on the top with the more cupped shape grease seal. I drove out my old bearing races on my triple tree, and both on the frame. The new bearings fit perfect this way, but the races are probably just over 1/8" thick each. I can't stress enough how the races have to be driven out evenly, otherwise it can jam up and become a giant pain to straighten back out and finish removing. When driving new races in and the lower bearings I got away with using a hammer and a piece of aluminum so I didn't mangle them.

The speedometer cable from the pre gen does fit the new gen gear drive thing on the new gen wheel. I don't know if the new gen cable would work, I didn't have one. I just know I got away without it.

Here's the interesting part. The ignition switch. Upon first glance, the pre gen ignition switch doesn't look like it will fit the new gen triple tree, although the bolt holes are the same, but as of yet I can't guarantee that the steering lock will function right. Obviously it would be preferred to just get a triple tree with ignition switch, but...I didn't and I don't want to order something if I don't have to. Anyway, if you remove your existing pre gen switch and remove the plastic cover off the top portion, you can insert it into the new gen tree. Either use a load of washers and longer bolts, or proceed to grind and make the tree/switch accept eachother.

On the switch (your existing old gen switch), there is the longer round part the key goes in, and the rectangular part. On the rectangular part, you need to shave off the "shelf" between it and the round part. Next, the 1/3 of the rectangular portion closer to the round part needs beveled. Next, on the triple tree, the bottom side of the round hole for the switch needs ground down (or just cut off if you're lazy). With the triple tree upside down, you can see where two angles meet. here's where you need to grind down to. This section had to be about 5/8" across, and then its angled back up. The inner part of the angled part had to be shaved down slightly too. I did not remove any material from the main portion of the triple tree, and chose to grind on the switch instead because I didnt want to risk weakening the triple tree.

The benefits of the new gen front end are that it has a larger rotor, 17" rim (matches my new gen rear wheel), and there appears to be more suspension upgrades available.

Old March 30th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nice work.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2014, 09:02 AM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Good job!

Old March 31st, 2014, 09:23 AM   #4
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

very nice, got any pics?

Old March 31st, 2014, 07:05 PM   #5
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenA View Post
very nice, got any pics?
I second this. Did you get any shots of the install/customization process?

Thank you for the write up too. Did you do a complete rear end from the newgen also?
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote