ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 6th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #1
claymaker
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Clay

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Electric start problem, lights, blinkers, and indicator lights work.

Cannot get electric start to work. Indicator lights and taillight turn on when key is on. no click or spark when I try to electric start it. Have tried jumping it. Please give any suggestions. New battery? New starter? ETC???
claymaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #2
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

No click? Could be interlock switch on clutch or sidestand. Did it work before? Minimum you'll need is a continuity light and basic knowledge how to use it, or a voltmeter.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3
claymaker
ninjette.org newbie

Yea man, it has a very slight click in it but not enough to turn it over, it did work a week ago though.

Old July 8th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #4
FrugalNinja250

If you're getting a click from the area of the starter (above the trans, behind the block) then the problem is too low a voltage (bad battery, faulty connection) or bad starter. Put a voltmeter on the starter terminals and try to crank, what does the voltage do? Do the same at the battery. It's quite possible for a brand new battery to fail overnight, so never assume the battery is still good just because it was good the day before.

Old July 10th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #5
claymaker
ninjette.org newbie

Ok i checked the battery voltage, 12.73. I can go back to autozone and check the starter voltmeter count. Is there an easy way to check the continuity light?

Old July 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #6
FrugalNinja250

Continuity light just lights up when you connect it to ground and probe voltage with the tip. A shop should be able to quickly diagnose this using a voltmeter.

Old July 10th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #7
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Mine doesn't work either. I've been starting it for months by shorting the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. Question for @FrugalNinja250 - If I put a test light between W and BK/Y at the solenoid (or at the starter button) and push the button, it should light up right? Thanks.

Old July 10th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #8
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymaker View Post
Ok i checked the battery voltage, 12.73. I can go back to autozone and check the starter voltmeter count. Is there an easy way to check the continuity light?
First thing. Pull the right side cover off and inspect all the fuses to see if they are all good.

The battery voltage needs to be checked while you attempt to crank it. Put the meter on the battery and push the start button. If all is well, it should drop to about 10 volts while cranking.

12.73 volts usually indicates a charged battery, but you really can't tell for sure until you put a load on it.

If all you get is a weak click, then their is a strong possibility that your starter relay is bad or dirty. To further test that, get a heavy insulated wire and touch the red positive terminal of the battery to the nut under the rubber cover on the starter. Be careful not to touch anything else or you'll short it out. Make sure its in neutral and have someone hold the brake. Do it with the bike on the center stand. That should cause the starter to spin while its touching. Do this with the ignition OFF to prevent it from starting accidentally.

If you need to replace your starter solenoid, its next to the fuses.

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #9
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Mine doesn't work either. I've been starting it for months by shorting the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. Question for @FrugalNinja250 - If I put a test light between W and BK/Y at the solenoid (or at the starter button) and push the button, it should light up right? Thanks.
Yes, the light should light, as it will be in parallel with the starter solenoid.