ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 19th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #1
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Are these problems related?

Just bought an 09 ninjette. Here are some things that may or may not be related, but I'm throwing them out there to start discussion and see if anyone thinks they are related.

1) medium-high whine randomly coming from the handlebar area. On first ride it was constant while riding, now is occasional and less frequent.
2) low top speed (just under redline in 6th, going 65 mph)
3) not sure if these three hoses are supposed to be connected somewhere (see attachments). Give me a break, it's my first bike.

The engine doesn't seem to be running poorly - obviously, it's getting to redline in 6th no sweat. But shouldn't it be generating more speed at that gearing and RPM? Seller said the bike is stock, no mods. Bike sat since last fall (was winterized). There is likely still some stabilizer in the tank if that would make a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-19_20-17-28_582.jpg (227.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-19_20-17-50_232.jpg (272.3 KB, 14 views)
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #2
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

If you are redlining at 65 in 6th, i think your sprockets are not stock.

Old July 19th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #3
fatestkid
ninjette.org member

Name: fatty

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

I'm completely new to the biking world so wait for better replies but here is what I can tell you.

65Mph is quite a lot below the top speeds even if you are sitting up and creating lots of drag. The only thing maybe that would make it that low would be if you are 300lbs

On my 2010 I only see one hose at the same spot as your 2nd picture but it does not hang down like that. You have to really look to find it.

Old July 19th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #4
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Maybe take a picture of the back sprocket?

And as for the hose, that is normal to hang like that.

Old July 19th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #5
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

I will grab a pic of the sprocket tomorrow when I head to work.

Old July 20th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
aright!!! Redline in 6th at 65??? Dude can you power wheelie that thing? Haha

Are you sure you're in 6th and not third? If you're positive you're in 6th, is your rear sprocket the size of a serving platter?

That whining is normal. That's tha gas tank venting gas fumes as the gas heats up and expands. No biggie
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfpower View Post
Just bought an 09 ninjette. ..........
2) low top speed (just under redline in 6th, going 65 mph)
........The engine doesn't seem to be running poorly - obviously, it's getting to redline in 6th no sweat. But shouldn't it be generating more speed at that gearing and RPM?........
Congratulations on the new bike!!

The clutch may be slipping due to wrong adjustment or bad oil.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #8
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
aright!!! Redline in 6th at 65??? Dude can you power wheelie that thing? Haha
I was afraid to try, but thanks for putting the idea in my head. I do get very good response in first and second.

Quote:
Are you sure you're in 6th and not third? If you're positive you're in 6th, is your rear sprocket the size of a serving platter?
I believe I had shifted down to first then up five times... see the attached rear wheel pic.

Quote:
That whining is normal. That's tha gas tank venting gas fumes as the gas heats up and expands. No biggie
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks - like I said, I'm just figuring these things out. That also explains why the whining went down after the first ride - I put gas in it before the second ride so the tank would have fully vented then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-20_07-37-14_520.jpg (218.3 KB, 11 views)

Old July 20th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #9
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
The clutch may be slipping due to wrong adjustment or bad oil.
Is that something that is user-adjustable? I do have a friend who runs a small engine shop who could probably help me with that if it's something I can't safely adjust. What sort of warning signs other than this one could let me know if it's slipping?

Old July 20th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Do you have a manual?

The clutch lever should have certain play and the cable should be lubricated; both things allow the clutch to be fully disengaged in normal operation.

Old July 20th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #11
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Do you have a manual?
I don't have a service manual (I do have the owner's booklet). I've looked all over the interwubs and I couldn't find a service manual that didn't have a password on it. I may just have to buy it from cyclepedia.

Quote:
The clutch lever should have certain play and the cable should be lubricated; both things allow the clutch to be fully disengaged in normal operation.
Since you mention it, it does remind me a little of my 85 Civic when I'd rest my foot on the clutch.

The bike did sit for some time (at least since fall, the owner died of cancer last year) and I wonder if the cable isn't lubed properly... My wife and I are off to the nearest decent sized town (Bozeman, 2 hours away!) for the weekend. I will surely check that out when I get back.

Old July 20th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Page 105 of the owner's manual shows you how to adjust the clutch lever.

Old July 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #13
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Perfectamundo, thanks.

Old July 20th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #14
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Thanks, got it.

Old July 20th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #15
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Hmm, the sprocket looks like the standard 45 tooth. My bets on that clutch being adjusted badly and slipping like Hernan was suggesting. Let us know how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #16
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '11 CBR250R, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Your chain looks like it needs maintenance too. Definitely clean that thing with kerosene and a toothbrush, and re-oil, ride for about 5-10 minutes, and oil it again while it is warm. Do not use wd-40 on your chain(some will disagree with this advice, but I would stay away from putting wd-40 on it). I also put a piece of cardboard behind my chain, blocking any oil from getting on my tire, wheel, and brakes.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #17
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

I'm betting on the clutch. I knocked off work at lunch and took a quick spin; got it up to almost 80 in 5th. Ten minutes later I couldn't get above 70 without redlining in 6th. I will get that working smoothly and do the chain lube and see where I am at then. Thanks everyone for the input.

Ben

Old July 20th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #18
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfpower View Post
I'm betting on the clutch. I knocked off work at lunch and took a quick spin; got it up to almost 80 in 5th. Ten minutes later I couldn't get above 70 without redlining in 6th. I will get that working smoothly and do the chain lube and see where I am at then. Thanks everyone for the input.

Ben
With that description, it sounds like you need to lube your clutch cable as well.

If the bike has been run for a significant amount of time with the clutch being out of adjustment you may need to replace the clutch plates.

Also, when was the last oil change and what oil did you use?
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the infamous cdi issue makes the tach read way high. but its just the tach reading.

im betting if you go faster your tach will go well past redline before it hits the revilmiter. i would try putting it in third and hit the gas until the rev limiter kicks in and see what speed you are going.

is it actually hitting the limiter? or is it just the tach reading that you are going on? if its actually hitting the limiter its definitely clutch

Old July 20th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #20
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the infamous cdi issue makes the tach read way high. but its just the tach reading.

im betting if you go faster your tach will go well past redline before it hits the revilmiter. i would try putting it in third and hit the gas until the rev limiter kicks in and see what speed you are going.

is it actually hitting the limiter? or is it just the tach reading that you are going on? if its actually hitting the limiter its definitely clutch
I didn't realize there was a limiter. I didn't hit it. I did see the tach flutter briefly a few times. Can I trust the limiter to stop me from damaging the engine? If so I could push it hard in a lower gear just to see.

I did the oil, filter, and o–rings yesterday. I used a k and n filter and mobil 1 10–40.

Old July 20th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i think the limiter is safe to trust but i may be wrong. i know for a fact the tach is not to be trusted though.

an easy test to see if your clutch is slipping... when it is giving you readings like you said redline at 65, find a safe place with no other vehicles (empty parking lot or something) in 1st or second, get to like 20-25mph and with the clutch lever out (untouched) use the back brake to try to slow you down... give it some more throttle and try to maintain the speed while still using the back brake to slow you down... if your clutch is giving, you will hear the revs jump higher as if you were pulling the clutch lever but your speed will stay the same.

if the RPMs (indicated by souund- you can trust souund- cant trust gauges) arent consistent with the speed when the clutch is out, then the clutch is probably slipping.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:24 AM   #22
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

OK, update: I took it out to a long straight stretch last night and it was doing it's 'thing.' I put it in third and buried the tach, laid off without hitting the limiter when the needle buried. Would that indicate to anyone else that we're dealing with a tach problem?

I did also try the back brake test Alex mentioned and I didn't hear revs jumping. But my issue with the sound vs. tach thing is that I've been driving a Civic for the last 7 years, and a truck before that (I won't say how long.... dating myself here). So I'm not used to being on something that goes over 5K comfortably.