ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 19th, 2014, 02:20 AM   #1
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Now ABS could become an Option

BMW Motorrad brings out first ever cornering ABS for supersports bike

BMW Motorrad presented the BMW S1000RR in 2009 - not just its first supersports bike but also the first motorcycle of this type to be fitted with ABS. That same year saw the first racing victory by a supersports motorcycle with ABS at the 24-hour race in Barcelona.

Since the introduction of this Race ABS in 2009, BMW Motorrad has offered an ABS tailored specifically to the needs of supersports bikes, providing a significant increase in active braking safety in this segment, too. The function ABS Pro represents a consistent refinement of the Race ABS in that it now enables ABS-supported braking when cornering. ABS Pro is offered as a retrofittable option which can be acquired through BMW Motorrad dealerships and is initially reserved exclusively for the top supersports model in the BMW Motorrad product range, the BMW HP4.

The function was deliberately conceived for use on public roads, where unexpected dangers can always potentially lie in waiting. While the Race ABS in the BMW HP4 already provides a very high degree of safety when braking in a straight line, ABS Pro now goes a step further to offer increased safety when braking on bends as well. Here, ABS Pro prevents the wheels from blocking even when the brakes are applied quickly; this reduces abrupt changes in steering force on shock-braking manoeuvres and stops the motorcycle from rearing up unintentionally.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2014, 06:11 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yes - it's the same Bosch system that was first released on the KTM Adventure 1290 this year.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2014, 03:19 AM   #3
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Name: Newton

Motorcycle(s): Kwaka EX250

...and shall cost an arm and a leg when it needs to be rebuilt.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2014, 06:09 AM   #4
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Is the Premier Class electronics package trickling down to the consumer segment?
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #5
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Is the Premier Class electronics package trickling down to the consumer segment?
I wouldn't think about that, just compare it with the cars...

Old July 20th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #6
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

What?
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2014, 07:57 AM   #7
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
What?
...the electronical possibilities of the Premium Class to the rest, at least it's all a question of the price.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Bubba
ninjette.org member

Name: Bubba

Motorcycle(s): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
...the electronical possibilities of the Premium Class to the rest, at least it's all a question of the price.
What?
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:11 PM   #9
Bubba
ninjette.org member

Name: Bubba

Motorcycle(s): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
...and shall cost an arm and a leg when it needs to be rebuilt.
That's not my concern. My concern is how reliable these systems are and what a happens when they fail when you get used to them.

Here's Marcel Irnie crashing at Laguna Seca after the ABS failed on his S1000RR.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #10
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
That's not my concern. My concern is how reliable these systems are and what a happens when they fail when you get used to them.

Here's Marcel Irnie crashing at Laguna Seca after the ABS failed on his S1000RR.
We rely on the technology instead of learning to ride and then technology fails. Where does that leave us?

My experience has allowed me to drive about one million miles on ABS in a four wheeler. At any moment I knew how to use ABS to its peak performance, and go even further and lock ABS down. Any conditions at any time with a working ABS system. I demonstrated this numerous times to nonbelievers. While ABS is nice it is a man made device that can and will fail.

We have people riding tens of thousands of miles (SWAG ALERT) on this board w/o ABS and they have in large part done just fine. I think there is also a mentality on this board of pushing oneself to get even better and use the motorcycle to an even higher level of performance. Higher levels of performance are being sought from all systems contained on whatever motorcycle we happen to be riding, ABS equipped or not.

My interest in the EX250F was due in large part to the cheap price associated with its purchase and ownership. I love Suburbans and cheap vehicles. New Suburbans are now so expensive they will not last long enough to become cheap before completely doing down hill like the late 90's models are today. Ad ABS to a Ninja and it will have to climb in costs. Those initial costs will drive costs up on the tail end or cheap or used users.

With the above thoughts in mind I have the following questions:
  1. Is it being used as a crutch by many?
  2. Isn't the demand for safety in our society really wasted breath when dealing with this industry?
  3. Does one need it to survive?

Old July 25th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #11
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I heard ABS weighs a lot.

Old July 25th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #12
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
It does relative to the '95 GS I have. Many pull it once it breaks down due to the cost of repairs and weight.

Old July 25th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #13
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
It adds 4lbs to my 300. Not too bad for safer braking in the rain.

I don't even notice it's there as far as weight or function. I forced it too work a few times to test it out. It's interesting.

The more complicated ABS might weigh more.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

That's not Laguna Seca, and he didn't crash due to ABS. He crashed due to his brakes failing because a part fell out. Quoted from the video description:

Quote:
Cause of accident: Caliper brake-pad pin fell out, allowing one of the four brake pads to fall out on the back straight.
Quote:
It's only a few pounds on most modern systems (less than 5). The heaviest modern system seems to be Honda's C-ABS on their 600 & 1000, at around 20 pounds.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #15
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It's only a few pounds on most modern systems (less than 5). The heaviest modern system seems to be Honda's C-ABS on their 600 & 1000, at around 20 pounds.
Yeah, that's what it was the honda CBR 1000rr

I believe the ABS added about 20+ lbs